49, newly wired, and already stained

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lucy4642

49, newly wired, and already stained

#1 Post by Lucy4642 »

This is my first post. I have been reading posts and find the forum very helpful. I have clear braces on top and metal below. After a week with clear ligatures, I noticed my ligatures had yellowed and one was missing. My ortho repaired me and recommended I try smoke colored ligatures because they don't stain. Great, I thought, I can eat anything. I was wrong. had curry last night and the smoked colored logs now look olive greenish. Ich. I scrubbed with tooth paste, baking soda, gel whiteners... and managed to reduce the stains a bit. I'm going to stop obsessing now, well, I'll probably buy some listerine and tooth paste with baking soda and peroxide then stop obsessing, after I try it. Is it possible to scrub the smoke color away and make matters worse? Maybe I should settle for my better-than-last-night olive color.

I'm three weeks into my braces and finding the pain okay but I confess i'm self conscious at work (I have a high profile job and have to meet with CEOs and members of government a lot). i'm trying hard to own my new look and be confident but I struggle with it, partly because I feel like my speech is a bit unnatural (my normal, slight lisp is more pronounced now and some words are hard to get out). I expect that will improve as I get used to my new mouth. it is good to hear that others have similar issues.

chimi

Re: 49, newly wired, and already stained

#2 Post by chimi »

Hello!
I have clear braces as well, two weeks now. Im really worried about my ligatures getting stained, actually my orthodontist gave me a speech about ligatures quality. Good quality clear ligatures should not stain.

He didnt use high quality on my back braces and they're already yellow, I remeber that they got yellow after eating pizza. But my front ligatures are a different kind and they havent stained even though I drink coffe eventually.

The good thing is that you can change them every 3 weeks in each appointment.

I sincerely dont recommend you to use any kind of whitening thing, toothpaste or anything, cause you're also whitening your teeth, except for the part where the brace is glued to, so when you take them off you'll have the mark of the brace!!

Tobilei

#3 Post by Tobilei »

Hi! Welcome to the board! I have clear brackets top and bottom. Top are self ligating, but I have smoke ligs on the bottom. The back one's are quite stained even though I've been careful with what I eat, but the front one's are all fine despite my 2 coffee a day habit (I haven't tried curry or tomato soup yet though, although my ortho told me it would be fine).

I asked my orthodontist about whitening toothpaste. He said it's fine because it doesn't really work anyway and only lifts newish stains (so will keep my exposed teeth the same colour as what's under the brackets). I wouldn't use a proper whitening product though.

Maybe try metal ligs next time? You can see them but I think they look quite pretty with clear brackets and if you love curry, no staining :mrgreen:

luckyteeth

#4 Post by luckyteeth »

I have clear ceramic brackets on my top and bottom teeth, and what I eat and what may potentially stain my teeth and ligatures is something I'm constantly aware of. Right now, I'm avoiding the obvious staining foods. And drinks that could stain my ligatures I drink with a straw.

BRACED: December 6, 2012
SENTENCE: 18 - 24 months
MY BLOG: http://luckyteeth.wordpress.com/

Lucy4642

#5 Post by Lucy4642 »

Thanks for the support. yeah, metal logs may be the way to go. i'm not too worried about changing my tooth color because when the braces come off, new veneers will go on. (my teeth were wrecked by tetracycline as a child so i've had veneers for a long time. this time the veneers will be over nice straight teeth).

LewisS

#6 Post by LewisS »

I always get the smoke coloured ligatures and they always turn green after a week or two. Relax, nobody really notices - plus the olive green that they turn kinda looks like they're supposed to be that colour. They look a lot better than clear ones that turn bright yellow/green.

Brace-on date: July 2nd 2012
Deband date: July 14th 2014

Click here to follow my braces story!