Tobilei's Train Tracks.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dee17

Re: Tobilei's Train Tracks.

#31 Post by Dee17 »

Hi Tobilei,
Thanks for your sympathy. It's been a long time and I've truly made a pretty miraculous recovery considering where I was. It was just a horrendous time for me. My husband had been ill with lung cancer for about a year and a half. Three months after I was discharged from the hospital, he passed away. So, those are years that I'd rather just forget. It took me a pretty long time to recover from all of that, but life goes on and I am okay now.
Glad to know that you were able to have some success with your floss threaders. And yes, I've been using the same ones over and over again for almost the whole two months (is it really almost two months?) that I've had my braces. Good for you that you were able to floss in about 12 minutes. I'm impressed. It is still taking me much longer than that, but maybe I'm just slow.
You know, I don't think it's vain to be worried about having all metal braces. Believe me, that was something I really wrestled with as well. I'm still pretty self-conscious about them. Truthfully, I would have gone ahead and gotten the ceramic braces because there would not have been any difference in the cost except for the issue of the bulkiness, as I explained before. I know what you mean about sitting in the orthodontist's office looking at the different sets of plastic "teeth". I did that, too, for what seemed like an hour. I'm sure you'll get used to the size of them as well. It's amazing what humans can adapt to, isn't it? I found the whole decision process of getting braces to be a very humbling one. Before I started having all these issues with my teeth, I never thought of myself as a vain person. But once the prospect of having to get braces put on in order to fix them became apparent, it totally threw me for a loop. ALL I could think of was the way it would change my appearance. I have only recently begun to think about entering the dating scene and the idea of trying to find a man who would not be put off from me because I was wearing braces was just daunting. To be completely honest, it just totally scared the daylights out of me. But, it was either that or have to walk around with a huge gap between my two front teeth and I thought THAT would ultimately more off-putting than braces. My youngest son said, "Mom, you'll look like a teenager again!" Oh, if only I didn't have so much grey hair!
I don't even know if you orthodontist would be wiling to swap out your brackets for all metal ones, so me thinks you're probably committed to your course of action now. But, take heart. I know you'll get used to them in no time. It's been less than two weeks. The first two weeks, my braces felt HUGE inside my mouth. Now even though I'm always aware that they are there, that feeling has mostly subsided.
What your describing with your lower lip sounds just dreadful. I hope you will stop having this problem soon! I think that when you're first wearing braces, you do weird things at night. I've been clenching my teeth like crazy. It's so bad that it actually wakes me up 2 or 3 times a night and I usually have a really bad headache when I wake up in the morning. Apparently, I was doing a lot of teeth clenching before. But I was never aware of it. I mean, it certainly wasn't waking me up at night.

I think it's good that your orthodontist is going to give you some time to used to things before he puts brackets on the back teeth for you. Maybe that's what mine is doing with me, too. I know that I am going to have to wear powerchains and elastics at some point in my treatment. When he first told me about the powerchains I voiced my strong opinion about NOT having them because I've heard they're so painful. He was not really willing to talk about it even though I said that I'd be willing to keep my braces longer if he closed the space by just using elastics. He said it would take about an extra year to do that and he really only likes to keep his adult patients in braces for about two years. But he said, "I'll wait about three months to give you some time to get used to everything before we put them on, okay?" Oh, okay.... I guess, if you say so!
Since I don't have a wire stretched across either of my extraction gaps yet, I really can't comment on why yours might be shredding your cheek like that. Regardless, it sounds terribly painful and I'm glad you're going to be able to go in and get it checked out soon.
I was at the drug store today and I meant to buy a package of those plaque disclosing tablets but I completely forgot. Maybe it's just as well. I like thinking that I'm doing such a grand job cleaning my teeth with all the brushing I've been doing!
You know I think it's wonderful that your husband has been so supportive of what you're doing. If my husband were still alive, I know he'd be the same way. He'd also have been completely laughing his head off at me when I was going through all my worry and despair over getting braces. He'd say, "Really? Why are you making this into such a big deal? Just do it already!" :heart:
I actually have no idea where NSW is, isnt' that terrible? I know where Sydney is but that's about it. Have always wanted to visit Australia. It's on my bucket list.

Take care!
Dee

I'm in NSW, at the top of the south coast area (eastern side).
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

Tobilei

#32 Post by Tobilei »

Oh wow. I'm so sorry :( You've really been through a lot. I can't even begin to imagine the pain of losing my husband. (((Hugs))).

I think I just had a good floss yesterday. Took me ages again tonight!

Haha, glad I'm not the only one who sat and compared teeth for ages! And yep, I'm sure I'll adapt. You're right, it is amazing what we can learn to tolerate. I did have to pay quite a lot more to have the clear one's put on but to me it was worth it (it still is. Even I can't see them from a metre away and I know that they're there). I too never thought of myself as a vain person, but I sure felt like one when trying to decide on which brackets (or invisalign). It was suddenly ALL about how I looked! Eek!

Good luck with dating! I'm sure any man who judges you on the fact you have braces isn't one you would want to be with anyway. I personally wouldn't care if my other half (or someone I met) had braces (which is funny given how I feel about them on myself!) And yes, I said something on facebook about being an ancient teenager. Dreaded gray hairs! Mum found my first one when I was 21 so now I have stripes in 4 places around the front (just dyed them all out today, they're getting out of control!)

I'm not sure my ortho would swap them either. Even if I offered to pay extra (I wouldn't imagine it would be done for free). They're feeling just the teeniest bit better today thank goodness! Still bad, but a teeny tiny bit better.

I clench my teeth too, although I think I've stopped now the brackets are on. I seem to suck my cheeks into them all night instead! But I can identify with the teeth clenching headache :( Hopefully once things move a bit that might stop.

I'm sure your ortho is doing the same. Just getting you used to what you have before hitting us with the big guns :shock:

Given that I need gaps closed I'm sure I'll end up with powerchains too. I think I already have them across the back molars to try and bring them in. I heard him ask for them when he was putting the o-rings on my other brackets.

As for the wire, I think it's just because it's so fine. The girl at the office said that once the gap started to close it would get better but once I explained that they're leaving it open for an implant or denture she said I should come in and get it looked at. I think it's a little better on it's own now but it's still getting stuck.

Probably good that you didn't buy the plaque tablets. I honestly don't think it's worth it. Plus, I'm sure you're doing a fine job of brushing.

Tee hee, it sounds like our husbands would have gotten along. Mine kep telling me I was being silly that I would be gorgeous no matter what and that no one would even care (He certainly doesn't). He laughed at me agonizing over every little detail too. He was like "just pick one and do it. It won't matter in the end".

It's not terrible you don't know where NSW is. I have no idea where anything overseas is! I live about an hour and a half south of Sydney :) Less busy here!

Hmm weird, I swear I wrote here earlier that I couldn't add you on facebook and had PM'd you but it doesn't seem to be here! But yes, I sent you the link to mine in a PM :)

Dee17

#33 Post by Dee17 »

Hi Tobilei,
I think that the flossing just gets easier with practice. Of course, that being said, it is still taking me absolutely FOREVER each night and it is extremely frustrating. I'll be thrilled if I can get it down to just 15 minutes!

I know exactly what you mean about the decision-making process being all about how you looked. I just could not seem to wrap my head around the way having braces was going to change my appearance. I know that if my husband were still alive, like yours, he would not have cared the least. But the idea of trying to find my way through the dating world with all this hardware in my mouth was just a terrifying proposition. Of course, just about everyone on this forum said that any man who would shy away from someone because they are wearing braces is not someone you'd want to know. And while I agree with that, it is still scary. I think I may have actually found someone though! He and I are meeting for dinner on Tuesday night and he said he doesn't give a hoot about the fact that I have braces. So, I think the jury is still out on that one and I'll just have to wait and see, but I am hoping.
I considered getting invisalign but I was not a candidate for them. I think I just have too many things wrong with my teeth or maybe they're not designed to close large gaps like i have. But I know what you mean about not caring if you were dating someone and they had braces being funny considering how you feel about having them yourself. I think it's a whole different ball of wax when YOU are actually the person stuck in them. I also think (for me) that because of my age (54) and the fact that I know NO ONE else my age who has braces, I just feel tremendously self-conscious. That is starting to go away a little bit as I get more and more used to them. I can now almost bring myself to smile at other people when I'm out in public which is nice because smiling is such a natural reflex for me.
I started to go grey when I was 28, the year I had my last child. It was very traumatic for me. I used to look in the mirror every day and practically count all the new grey hairs. I liked your terminology, "ancient teenager". But I've simply refused to dye my hair right from the beginning mostly because I'm just too darned lazy. I don't want to be tied to a routine of having to maintain a dye job. I like my hair to be "wash and wear" -- no fuss, no muss.
Anyway, I'm glad to know that your braces are starting to feel a bit better. After nearly six weeks in mine, I must say that I am pretty much used to them. But, still whenever I eat, I find that I have to literally go and brush my teeth almost immediately because I can't stand the feeling of having food caught in my brackets. This is despite the fact that every time I actually look in a mirror to see if there is any food there, there never is. But I just hate the way it feels. Consequently, since I got my braces put on I've hardly eaten out at all which has saved me a TON of money. So, I guess that's a good thing?
My orthodontist referred me to a periodontist before he would put my brackets on because I have some bone loss above my front teeth. Anyway, the periodontist was the one who said that there was a considerable amount of wear on my back teeth from all the teeth clenching I had been doing. He said, "You won't be able to do that anymore once you get your braces on, though." I think he was wrong though because I am still doing it. And, in many ways, it is even worse than ever. Because before I got my braces put on I was not even aware that I was doing it. Now, I am doing it so much that it is waking me up at night and I'm even aware of when I'm doing it during the day. I called my orthodontist's office about it a few weeks ago and the woman I spoke to said it was normal, that many people do that when they first get their braces on. I hope I'll be able to stop doing it soon though because I'm just about exhausted from having such disrupted sleep.
Your comment, "I'm sure your ortho is doing the same. Just getting you used to what you have before hitting us with the big guns ." kind of scares me. When I read some of the postings put up by other members of the forum and all the stuff they have in their mouths, I am just really grateful that I only have what I have. So, if you already have powerchains on your back molars and are not having any pain with them, that's great! I've read so much about how painful they can be that I' just dreading having to get them myself. But, despite my willingness to keep my braces longer if it means closing my gap with just elastics, I honestly don't think that would be possible because it's pretty wide. (sigh).
I agree that our husbands probably would've gotten along. Mine whose name was Vic, was very pragmatic and down to earth. He'd have been completely puzzled over the kind of anxiety I was having before I got my braces. I mean, really? I wasn't sleeping at all! I was pretty much okay during the day when I could find things to occupy myself and take my mind off of it. But at night? Oh, my God, the anxiety was killing me. I don't think I slept a full night through for more than two months. It was such a relief to finally get them put on!
Well, now that you've told me where NSW is, I think I know.... I'll bet you're not too far from Tasmania, right? There was a guy who came to work at the place where I used to work who was from Tasmania. Hoburn, I think. Anyway, all he ever talked about was how beautiful it was there. And he said, yes, there really was such a thing as a Tasmania devil. Totally blew me away, that!
I got your PM, by the way!
Take care,
Dee
-- Maya Angelou

[

and here:

Tobilei

#34 Post by Tobilei »

Aww Dee, that's wonderful!! I'm super happy for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed you two hit it off :mrgreen: I'm sure those of us wearing them notice them far more than anyone who's actually looking at us. Like any other mark or hair out of place or whatever we just hone in on it because it's on us.

I too have noticed I've started just smiling at people. I'm still self conscious when I'm standing right in front of them but if they're a bit further back I figure they're probably not noticing. My ortho said I would do okay with the invisalign but that some people find that they're not as happy with the results as they were hoping for. To be honest though, I really just figured I might not leave them on there when they hurt and the thought of taking them out to brush 6-8 times a day was overwhelming. I knew with the braces they were staying on, they were going to work and I didn't have a choice to waste money once they were on there. I was also worried that if things didn't go as planned I'd get hit with the extra $1000 in the middle of treatment for more trays and impressions.

Yes, being gray at 24 was horrendous. I still hate it. I don't feel old enough to have so much gray. It's not even gray, it's white! I blame my Dad. My mother still has hardly any gray, but Dad's been white ever since I can remember. Oh I get lazy with dying my hair too. Once the stripes get down to my ears I stick a brown dye through. I like to be wash and wear (and straighten!!) too. Most of the time it's up in a ponytail anyway. I rarely go to the hairdresser. I just can't be bothered.

Yes, the brushing thing is driving me crazy too! I've managed to brush a raw spot on one side of my gum :( Must remember to use less pressure!

With the teeth clenching you can get a mouthguard to wear in bed which stops you putting so much pressure on your teeth. My brother has one. I'm not sure if they can be worn with braces but it might be worth asking about? And yes, I'm at the very beginning of starting to lose bone between the front teeth which is why my ortho wanted to do something about it right away.

Sorry I scared you! I didn't mean to! Yes, I too am grateful I don't have all kinds of other stuff in my mouth. The braces feel like enough to cope with! The powerchains are only small and are only on the molars. My molars have been quite sore and I haven't really been able to chew on them but they've not really been worse than any of the other teeth. And I find that one side will hurt for a few days, then the other so I swap chewing sides depending on which side is sore ;)

I didn't sleep before I got my braces on either! I kept having bad dreams about it!

And nope, I'm ages away from Tasmania. I'm about 3/4 of the way down the eastern coast of Australia. If you know where Sydney is, I'm pretty close to it. Hobart would be beautiful. I've never been. Tassie is quite small and very cold from what I read but very lovely. Haha, Tassie devils are kind of cute. They growl a lot though. They're so small they're not really scary though.

Alrighty, better head off. Have my appointment shortly. Kind of nervous he'll think I'm wasting his time!

x

Dee17

#35 Post by Dee17 »

Hi Tobilei,
Yes, I'm excited about meeting him but I feel like I need to be very cautious. It's a whole different world from when I was last dating. What was that, now? Like 34 years ago? I told them at Life Mates, the place that matched us up, that I had recently gotten braces and I said they needed to contact him and let him know. It was important to me that he know before I was willing to proceed any further. So, when he and I were talking at one point we got on to the subject and he was very understanding and gracious about it. So, I guess that it really is the kind of thing that is a bigger deal to us (the people wearing) them than others.
I'm glad you can smile at people again. I think smiling is such an important part of who most of us are. I spent the first five and half weeks smiling with my mouth closed all the time and it felt really weird and very untrue to who I am as a person. It feels much better (on some level) for me to be able to give a real, genuine smile to people even though I do still feel pretty embarrassed when I'm doing it.
I was out this morning for breakfast with my Meetup group. Do you have meetup.com in Australia? I think it's a world-wide organization now. Anyway, I've belonged to my meetup group for about 1.5 years. Honestly, Amy, that group saved my life. I was drowning in loneliness and feeling completely isolated. So, this morning was just the second time I'd been out to a meetup since I got my braces and wouldn't you know it? One of the girls said, "Oh, I see you got your braces! How have they been?" Yeah. I know she didn't mean anything by it but I just HATE whenever anyone asks me about them or makes a comment about them. It's actually happened pretty infrequently but ever time it does I feel like I just want to fall through the floor! I usually just say something like, "Oh, I hate them" and try to change the subject.
I also had the same reservations about invisalign as you did. It was actually kind of a relief when my orthodontist told me that I wasn't a candidate for them. I just don't think I have enough self-discipline to leave something like that in my mouth 22 hours a day. With the fixed braces, because I can't remove them, they are free to just do their work and I just reap the benefits.

I honestly can not see ANY grey in your hair in your Facebook photos, so I have no idea what you're talking about, girlfriend. You look young and vibrant and beautiful to me. I used to keep my hair up in a ponytail all the time too. But I decided to give myself a sort of "mini-makeover" before I got my braces put on. So, I splurged and went to a swanky up-scale hair salon and got a very nice cut. I've been very happy with it. It's definitely wash and wear, though. Just what I wanted!
I had a very sore spot on my upper left gum after about three weeks. I called my orthodontist's office about it and spoke to one of the hygienists who told me that it was probably because the tooth there was moving and not to worry about it. Did they give you an electric toothbrush after they put your braces on? My orthodontist did and they said to just hold the toothbrush over the teeth and let the machine do the work. So, that's what I've been trying to do. I hope when I go back in a few weeks that they don't say, "Oh, my God, your teeth are loaded with plaque!" I'm actually kind of afraid of that!
I also asked them about getting a mouth guard and she said that he wouldn't give me one because it would keep the braces from doing their job while I'm sleeping. She said that he might fit me for something called a bite plate that I would wear at night and I should ask him about it when I see him in December. So, that's my plan.
I was very worried when I went to see the periodontist about the bone loss in my jaw that he would tell me
a) that I needed a bone graft to correct it and
b) that I would not be able to get braces.
He actually said neither so I was very happy about that. He did confirm what my orthodontist said that the bone loss on the right side of my mouth was probably caused by a terrible abscess I had in the early summer. He said if I ever wanted to get an implant to replace either of the teeth I lost to the two extractions I had that I would need something called a "sinus augmentation". I looked it up on wikipedia and based on what I read, I've decided that I'm going to pass. I'll just get a bridge for each side. It will cost a lot of money, but so would those sinus augmentations. I think that when this whole thing is finished for me, I will probably have spent about $10,000 (CDN). Ugh.
I've been VERY worried about the powerchains since the first time one of the forum members (I think it was Jem) said that with a large gap that powerchains would definitely be in my future. I've done a lot of research about them and honestly? I'm terrified. I think I'm just going to have to really be careful that I don't work myself up into the kind of state I was in before I got my braces put on. The anxiety almost killed me and everything worked out just fine in the end. So, I have to just keep telling myself that.
And, hey, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person who didn't sleep before I got my braces. I think I was awake and worrying the whole night before. But within five hours of getting them put on, all my anxiety just started to melt away. I'm sure that's how it will be with the powerchains, too.
Okay, so I think I need to look NSW up on Google maps. I really have no idea where you are now. But, the photos are just gorgeous. Do you really live that close to the ocean? If so, I am extremely jealous!!
-- Maya Angelou

[

and here:

Tobilei

#36 Post by Tobilei »

I can imagine it is! It's probably different from when I met my husband (although that was quite a long time ago now I guess!)

Not sure if we have meetup.com here. I tend to be a bit antisocial in real life (you'd never know it from how much I talk!) I'm glad that it helped you out so much though :) If I were in your situation I would without a doubt need something like that. I don't like it when people notice either but I try to remember that they're probably just curious (some people are jealous and then go on to tell me they wish they could do something about their teeth) so I guess it's not all bad that they do.

Lol you can't see gray because my hair was dyed in each and every photo on there (just like everyone else only my good photo's make it on there....not that there's many, there's not many photo's of me full stop, mostly of my kitties and my kids).

Toothbrushes, yes, my ortho did give me an electric one. It's a sonic one though so it sort of just vibrates, you still need to brush. I think the problem is the fact that I tend to press too hard. I scrubbed my gum away on one of my bottom molars once and had to get a patch put on because I exposed the nerve. I'm pretty sure I've done it on the other side too :roll:

And yep, seems anything to do with teeth costs a fortune. I haven't even looked into how much mine will be once the braces come off (that cost enough!).

Try not to worry about the powerchains! They haven't happened yet and they might be fine for you once they're on! (Not that I've researched them. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!)

Yes, I do live close to the ocean. The nearest one is about 10 minutes from me (there are at least 6 or so within 15 minutes) :)

Tobilei

#37 Post by Tobilei »

Well my emergency appointment went okay. I couldn't see my ortho so saw the other one at the practice. They've put a bit of rubber tubing on the wire that runs across the empty gap from my baby tooth extraction and bent the loop on the back bracket just a little.

Unfortunately, while it's helped with some of the rubbing, whatever keeps catching my cheek is still catching it. Probably just something I'm going to have to put up with I think. Perhaps I should have got him to snip the back wires but I'm not convinced that's what's catching it.

Dee17

#38 Post by Dee17 »

Hi Toilei,
Glad your appointment went well but sorry to hear that you are still having the same problem. Yikes, I'm sure that's plenty painful by now. I wonder what's causing it? Maybe you should post a thread to see if anyone else on the forum has had a similar problem and hear how they handled it?? I don't know. Just a thought.
You're right, I would never have guessed that you were somewhat antisocial. Hmmm. Anyway, my meetup group has been a real life saver. I went into it not expecting to make any life-long friends and while that has certainly been the case, I've met a very nice group of women who I enjoy spending time with once a week or so.
As for people noticing and commenting on my braces, I just usually think that it's kind of rude, you know? I once remember reading something written by Emily Post (remember her?) on rudeness and she said that the height of rudeness is to comment on something that someone can not change. So, if you say, "Um, you have spinach in your teeth," that's okay because they can go to the bathroom and fix it. But if you say, 'Um, gee you have really ugly teeth," that's not okay. So, whenever anyone says anything about my braces, I always just kind of flash back to that. I know that they are probably curious and might even be a little bit jealous but oh, my goodness, I just feel SO self-conscious that I just hate it when anyone calls attention to them.
Okay, so that explains why I can't see the grey in your hair. You're very pretty in your photos. I just hate having my picture taken and that's why there aren't any photos of me posted on my Facebook page. I did put some up on my blog but some of them were quite old.
That sounds really nasty about scrubbing part of your gum away. OW! I'll bet THAT hurt like the devil. Did it hurt too much to have the patch put on? How does that work? Does the gum eventually grow back? I've never heard of such a thing.
I asked my orthodontist if he could close the spaces left behind by the two extractions I had and, unfortunately, he said he couldn't. I was very disappointed mostly because I knew I would have to spend an additional $2,000 for each of the two bridges. Now, my regular dentist said that I could just leave the spaces and since they don't show, I may end up doing just that. I'll have to see where my money situation is when the time comes. I was appalled when I was told how much my braces were going to cost and I was very upset because I had no idea how I was going to pay for them (I don't have any dental insurance). But I have two tenants who live in my basement and who pay rent each month so I decided I could just allocate their rent money toward my orthodontic treatment. What a waste, though. I'd MUCH rather take a nice vacation!
I am trying my best not to worry too much about the powerchains. I haven't had too much anxiety over them, just generalized feelings of dread and worry. But I keep telling myself there's no point in doing that because I think it's pretty inevitable that I'm going to get them and worrying about it won't change anything.
I looked up NSW on Google maps last night. It's a huge territory. You said you were about an hour and a half south of Sydney? Does that put you near Wodonga? I think I spelled it right?? I am in a small town called London, in the province of Ontario. London is about halfway between Toronto and Detroit, Michigan, if you know where either of those places are.
Take care!
Dee

Yes, I do live close to the ocean. The nearest one is about 10 minutes from me (there are at least 6 or so within 15 minutes)
-- Maya Angelou

[

and here:

Tobilei

#39 Post by Tobilei »

Hi Dee :)

It's not too painful unless the bit of cheek is stuck and I have to pluck it out. I do have an ulcer there though now :( My daughter has a checkup on the 10th I'll be taking her to so I might just ask him to take a peek and see if I need an appt to get the wire snipped a bit.

Yes, I guess it is kind of rude to comment on them. I would certainly never do it (unless the person was a friend, in which case I'm sure I would have known they were getting them on anyway), I just try not to get offended by it. I get offended it people tell me I have spinach in my teeth though :P

I hate having my picture taken too so there aren't a lot of photo's of me.

Yep, the scrubbing is nasty! It sort of caused a sharp pain along the gumline whenever I hit it. I originally thought I had a hole in my tooth but the dentist told me it was from brushing too hard with a medium toothbrush. I use a supersoft one now. I think it's where the brackets with hooks on them are really close to the gum line. The patch didn't hurt at all. I didn't even need numbing stuff. He just put a small patch of whatever they use for fillings along the gumline and the bottom of the tooth. It felt a bit rough for a while but I don't even notice it now and you can't see it. The gum won't go back, it's receded (I seem to have a couple of gums that are doing that unfortunately).

I can't have my extraction gap closed either. Other than the fact that it's too large, I was also told it would put my bite out and look and feel very strange because I would have molars that were too close to the front. It would have been an easier solution though! I'm glad you have some income coming in to help out. I too was wary of spending the money. We barely had it. They did offer a payment plan but that ends up costing more so it was cheaper to just pay the whole amount.

I'll PM you where I live on facebook a little later :) No wher near wodonga ;)

I'll have to take a look at a map and see where you are :) I've heard of Ontario before and Detroit.

Good luck with tonight btw!

Dee17

#40 Post by Dee17 »

Hi Tobilei,
So, I got your location totally wrong, eh? Hmm, guess I'm not as smart as I thought! I got a chuckle when I read that you've heard of Detroit and Ontario. I guess Canadians are just SO egocentric we assume that the whole world knows about Canada. I think that you might know as much about Canada as I know about Australia, though I did read The Thorn Birds about a hundred years ago when it was first published.
Sorry to hear that you won't be able to have your extraction gap closed. I have to admit I was pretty upset when he told me the he wouldn't be able to close mine. But that was mostly because all I could think about was how much money it would cost to have TWO bridges made. I was so upset when I had to lose both of those teeth, you have no idea. Like I've said before, I've never had much trouble with my teeth until this past summer. They were always very straight and pretty nice looking. Oh, well, nothing to be done about it now, I suppose.
I am glad to know that your gum patch didn't hurt. I've never heard of such a thing. It's amazing what they can do, isn't it?
My date isn't until tomorrow night (my time). I had another long telephone conversation with him tonight. I'm kind of starting to have second thoughts about both him and everything else though. I'll just have to go and see how it turns out. I really hope that I'm not going to end up being disappointed.
I am also very glad that I have an independent income source to help me pay for my treatment. It really is just SO expensive, isn't it? But, I suppose that in the end it will all be worth it. I guess even if I end up feeling that it wasn't worth it, it'll be too bad for me. I certainly won't be able to get my money back, will I?
-- Maya Angelou

[

and here:

Tobilei

#41 Post by Tobilei »

I wasn't too upset about the extraction gap, but I'd known all along that I would probably have to have a false one put in there once it finally fell out. I just wasn't planning on having it pulled out, I always thought it would just fall out one day when it was finally ready.

I'd never heard of them patching along the gum line or exposed roots either until I did it. I'm glad it was such a simple fix though.

And yep, orthodontics are really expensive. By the time we've paid for mine and all 3 kids orthodontics we'll have bought our ortho a brand new (not very small) car! And haha, it'd be nice if you could get your money back! I worry too, because my teeth weren't terrible, that I'm doing the wrong thing (a couple of family members seemed to think I was so then I felt even guiltier about spending money on myself).

Dee17

#42 Post by Dee17 »

Hi Tobilei,
Yes, I know what you mean about buying a small car for your orthodontist. You're going to have all three of your kids in braces at some point! Oh, my goodness, that's a whopping load of money to shell out.
I don't know if you've been following Angel's thread but she is a young mom who lives in the UK and she gets a LOT of flak from her mom for spending the money on getting braces. Personally I really don't understand that. I don't understand why a family member would think it's appropriate to even say anything about something like that because it's no one else's business how you choose to spend your money. But I've never been the kind of mother who would think to make comments about such things like that with my kids.
I went on my date tonight and it was just wonderful. Honestly, I think I could very easily fall in love with this man. In some ways he seems too good to be true so I'll just have to be patient and see how things develop. Thank goodness he did not ask me about my braces or even make any comment about them. So that was a big plus in his favour.
I did not brush my teeth until I got home from the restaurant (about 9:30 p.m.) and I was just miserable sitting there after my meal. I'm going to have to figure out a way to handle situations like that but I just feel so uncomfortable with the idea of going into a restroom in a restaurant and brushing my teeth. I did it once and it felt just really icky to me. But, sitting at a table feeling like I have huge amounts of gunk in my teeth wasn't very pleasant either. So, at this point all I can think is that I will need to continue to keep eating out to a minimum.
Hope you're managing a bit easier now that some more time has gone by.
-- Maya Angelou

[

and here:

Tobilei

#43 Post by Tobilei »

Hi Dee,

yes, we are! I couldn't believe it, but all have orthodontic issues (one had an overjet and crowding, one has a slight overjet and impacted teeth with overcrowding and the 3rd has overcrowding and a deep bite, she's the one with the molar buildups in already).

No I haven't seen Angel's thread. I'll have to go and have a look. I didn't get a lot of flak but people definitely said/hinted that I was wasting our money. I agree it's noone's business but your own. We've made sure we can cover our kids orthodontics so it's not at the expense of them and they don't want for anything so they're not missing out on anything. If anything this was savings towards a house we might like to buy one day.

I'm glad things went so well with your date night :mrgreen: I'm happy for you! Sorry you were so miserable after eating though. I empathize! I ate taco's last night (minus the taco shell) and spent half an hour removing mince from my brackets. Maybe rather than brushing you should take one of those little interdental brushes. They're great for removing stuff. Kind of embarrassing to do in front of people though if they're walking in and out of the restroom.

Still hanging in there with the braces. Every time I think they're finally getting a bit better something starts rubbing again. I'm still getting a bit of my lip stuck between a bracket and a tooth all night and when I chew my wires rub the front of my lips raw. I still have times where I think I might go and beg my ortho to take them off :P

Hope all is well with you!

Dee17

#44 Post by Dee17 »

Hi Tobilei,
Wow, that's quite an assortment of dental problems. I don't envy you and I'm really glad that you and your hubby are going to be able to cover it. When my husband was alive we'd have been hard-pressed to pay for orthodontic work for our four children. Thank goodness none of them ever needed it!
I feel for your daughter and her molar buildups. Mine are still quite miserable and causing problems with eating, hence the soft food diet I've been on for what is it now? Almost two months? I am definitely going to be asking him about them when I go back in another two weeks. I want to know when he is going to take them OUT!
Well, as far as my date went, I haven't heard from him since. I think if I haven't heard from him by Sunday it will be pretty safe for me to assume that he won't be calling. That will make me sad but I'll be okay with it. I liked him a lot and enjoyed his company but there were certainly no fireworks going off on my side of the table.
Sorry to hear about your yucky encounter with some tacos. When I've had to spend a long time removing whatever food it is from my braces I kind of just cross that food off my list. But I did have a grilled cheese for dinner (melted cheddar, not mozzarella). It wasn't too bad. Just brushed afterwards and I think I was able to get rid of all of it. Last night it only took me 18 minutes to floss!! Hurray!! It was great!!
I ordered a portable waterpik to tuck into my purse for after I eat in a restaurant. I don't think I would feel too embarrassed to use something like that in a public washroom. We'll see. I never thought of using one of those little brushes but I think I would feel just as self-conscious about using one of those in a public washroom as I would about brushing my teeth.
Glad to know you're still hanging in with your braces. I don't have any problems with mine rubbing so it's hard for me to imagine what that must be like for you. Pretty miserable, though, I'm sure. Is the hooks that are rubbing? For some reason I don't think your orthodontist would be very happy about removing your braces although I'm sure he would if you asked him to. Try to hang in there, though. I know it will all be worth it in the end.
Take good care of yourself!
Dee
-- Maya Angelou

[

and here:

Tobilei

#45 Post by Tobilei »

Hi Dee,

Haha, yes it is! I don't envy us either :( We've only been able to do it all with some help from family and even then it's a stretch.

Sorry your molar buildups are still bothering you :( My daughter says hers bother her on and off. Although she eats normally (did from the word go, sometimes I wonder if kids are just more adaptable?)

Yay for an 18 minute floss! Some days I'm quick (ish) others takes me forever.

Hope things are well with you.

Braces are still....there today. I'll spend one day thinking I can deal with them then for some reason some spot will just suddenly have an ulcer/blister kind of thing and be really sore.

My back gums aren't dealing with having brackets on them (either that or I'm too paranoid about getting gum infections and have scrubbed them raw). They're a little swollen, there's been some bleeding and the husband says I've managed to make the gumline recede upwards at the back a little so I'm concentrating hard on not brushing too much there. I'll get one of the dental assistants to take a peek when I take my eldest in for her adjustment this afternoon.

Food wise I can mostly chew again (other than random days where my teeth just decide they're going to hurt). I don't enjoy food much anymore though, it's all just a pain and something I'm going to have to clean out of my back brackets and chains.

I keep waiting to feel like I don't have something huge and scratchy in my mouth but so far, still feeling it.

Good news is..........hmm good news might come later :P

I'll stop whining now! It's been a long 2 1/2 weeks!