Tobilei's Train Tracks.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tobilei

Re: Tobilei's Train Tracks.

#511 Post by Tobilei »

I think I'm having a reaction to my bands. Every night that I've worn them, about 20 minutes after putting them on, my throat gets really tickly and itchy and sometimes feels a little tight or something :( I have oral allergy syndrome for some kinds of fruit and veggies so I'm hoping it's just that and nothing too serious. I've not had a rash or anything and the feeling passes after about an hour.

I called my ortho's office today but swapping them for non latex one's involves a whole trip in, consultation and discussion regarding which size I'll need because the latex free one's are different sizes. Seems like a lot of hassle (for me and my ortho) and I don't really want to bother him with yet another problem so I'll keep an eye on it and see how I go.

rhibee83

#512 Post by rhibee83 »

Tobilei wrote:I think I'm having a reaction to my bands. Every night that I've worn them, about 20 minutes after putting them on, my throat gets really tickly and itchy and sometimes feels a little tight or something :( I have oral allergy syndrome for some kinds of fruit and veggies so I'm hoping it's just that and nothing too serious. I've not had a rash or anything and the feeling passes after about an hour.

I called my ortho's office today but swapping them for non latex one's involves a whole trip in, consultation and discussion regarding which size I'll need because the latex free one's are different sizes. Seems like a lot of hassle (for me and my ortho) and I don't really want to bother him with yet another problem so I'll keep an eye on it and see how I go.
oh noes :( that is not good hun!!!! that is weird that is passes after about an hour!!

i hope they continue to be ok for you, i am getting blisters now!!! not cool.

Tobilei

#513 Post by Tobilei »

rhibee83 wrote:
Tobilei wrote:I think I'm having a reaction to my bands. Every night that I've worn them, about 20 minutes after putting them on, my throat gets really tickly and itchy and sometimes feels a little tight or something :( I have oral allergy syndrome for some kinds of fruit and veggies so I'm hoping it's just that and nothing too serious. I've not had a rash or anything and the feeling passes after about an hour.

oh noes :( that is not good hun!!!! that is weird that is passes after about an hour!!

i hope they continue to be ok for you, i am getting blisters now!!! not cool.
It is weird! I tried giving one a good rinse under tap before I stuck it in last night and it was much better :) Very weird though! I think I'll bear with it for now.

And ugh, the blisters suck! I get them too, right where the band rubs :( I'm trying to wear them for 12 hours and I don't put them on until 11pm so I've had them in until 11am every day and it's way worse with talking! (((Hugs)))

debinator

#514 Post by debinator »

Glad you had good reports Tobilei! I haven't been online too much-been busy living life :) Hope you get the weird allergy like thing sorted out.
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

TMJJill

#515 Post by TMJJill »

My Orthodontic office went to latex free for all of their patients after one had a bad reaction to the latex elastics. They just changed me to the non-latex version of the same size and strength elastics. I'm not sure what the difference is that your dentist is referring to. My orthodontic office would have me in the same day if I had a report of a reaction like that. I will say that the non-latex elastics seemed a bit wider, even though the size was the same. I did have issues with them breaking apart at times when I wore them. I had pretty strong elastics on though. I actually requested the latex elastics back because I'd go to bed with 6 elastics and wake with 1 intact at times. Not sure if it was a defective batch or not, but I didn't like hunting for them. According to the staff at the orthodontic office, most people don't have issues with them. Made me wonder how much force I was putting on those suckers when I slept.

I hope you have better luck with the new elastics. Allergic reactions like that are something to take seriously. Do you have an Epipen? Might be a good idea to keep one around 'just in case'. I know I have mine with me 24/7. T

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Tobilei

#516 Post by Tobilei »

debinator wrote:Glad you had good reports Tobilei! I haven't been online too much-been busy living life :) Hope you get the weird allergy like thing sorted out.
Thanks Deb! Yep, I went on hiatus for a little while as well but have come back for now :) I think once you get to the boring bit life just takes over again :)

Tobilei

#517 Post by Tobilei »

TMJJill wrote:My Orthodontic office went to latex free for all of their patients after one had a bad reaction to the latex elastics. They just changed me to the non-latex version of the same size and strength elastics. I'm not sure what the difference is that your dentist is referring to. My orthodontic office would have me in the same day if I had a report of a reaction like that. I will say that the non-latex elastics seemed a bit wider, even though the size was the same. I did have issues with them breaking apart at times when I wore them. I had pretty strong elastics on though. I actually requested the latex elastics back because I'd go to bed with 6 elastics and wake with 1 intact at times. Not sure if it was a defective batch or not, but I didn't like hunting for them. According to the staff at the orthodontic office, most people don't have issues with them. Made me wonder how much force I was putting on those suckers when I slept.

I hope you have better luck with the new elastics. Allergic reactions like that are something to take seriously. Do you have an Epipen? Might be a good idea to keep one around 'just in case'. I know I have mine with me 24/7. T
Thanks Jill :) I don't have an epi pen, I was told that with oral allergy syndrome you don't need one (although I haven't actually been allergy tested, just know which foods cause welts and which one's make my throat itchy so I don't eat them (much anyway, I have trouble staying away from avocado!)

My office doesn't have many sizes in the non latex one's. So far the reaction hasn't got any worse but I'm keeping a close eye on it in case it does. First sign of it being worse or any kind of rash or welt and I'll stop using them.

SunshineRay

#518 Post by SunshineRay »

Scary about the allergy! Your teeth look good! Im with you on the rubbery taste. blech!

Tobilei

#519 Post by Tobilei »

SunshineRay wrote:Scary about the allergy! Your teeth look good! Im with you on the rubbery taste. blech!
It's all good! I don't think it's a major problem. Still not getting any worse :D I've had allergies to other stuff that gets progressively worse the more I eat it/use it but these are going okay (taste aside! Blech is right!!! Even worse with a hot drink, seems to intensify the rubberiness!)

Chaotic Choppers

#520 Post by Chaotic Choppers »

Looking fantastic Tobilei! And I'm glad your ortho has answered your questions well! I always have a million questions before I go to my ortho and forget them all when I'm at my appointment...then I get nervous between appointments and more questions pop up!!
Braced upper and lower: 18 July 2012
U4's & L5's Extracted: 22 and 29 October 2012
Elastics Started: 30 October 2012

30 y/o female - See my story here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42420

rhibee83

#521 Post by rhibee83 »

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!! :BigGrin:

how is your reaction to your elastics going? gone away now??

x

Tobilei

#522 Post by Tobilei »

Chaotic Choppers wrote:Looking fantastic Tobilei! And I'm glad your ortho has answered your questions well! I always have a million questions before I go to my ortho and forget them all when I'm at my appointment...then I get nervous between appointments and more questions pop up!!
Thanks! Haven't been in again yet, but I write all mine down and take in a list every time I go (I'm sure he loves it when he walks in and I have it clutched in my hot little hand :P).

Tobilei

#523 Post by Tobilei »

rhibee83 wrote:HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!! :BigGrin:

how is your reaction to your elastics going? gone away now??

x
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry! Haven't been on in forever!!!

Nope, still happens every time I pop in a new one but it's not getting any worse. I'll mention it next time I go in but I figure I'm still breathing so that's a good sign! If it had felt at all like it was getting worse I would have gone in. I have to go in and get that powerchain fixed though :( It's so rough when they snap!

SunshineRay

#524 Post by SunshineRay »

Breathing is a good thing! :wink:

Tobilei

#525 Post by Tobilei »

Lol Sunshine, that it is!

Hi guys :-1 Sorry I haven't been around in forever! Had the flu for 2 weeks but it's still lingering now nearly a month later (grr), then was all wrapped up in the election of the worst prime minister I think Australia will ever see (grrr x2!), kids have been off to camp, doing projects and generally keeping me busy and my computer died requiring 2 fresh installs of windows before it recouperated (whew!).

Had a super boring calm month with my braces which was wonderful, followed by mini disasters as usual this month (grr x3 lol).

So had my adjustment on the 4th. We did a little IPL between my 2 front teeth just to bring them together completely. I had a small figure 8 metal tie placed around those 2 front brackets top and bottom and am now in elastics on the side where the baby tooth was extracted 24 hours a day. I have to change the configuration every 8 hours. First the elastics run from my top back molar to the hook around the front side on the bottom, then I switch it from the back molar to the little metal hook on my wire at the side front. It's a bit of a pest but I'm kind of glad I get to change them because the elastics running to the bottom rub my cheeks completely raw really quickly.

We initially tried non latex elastics but they were so loose compared to the latex one's and I had 5 of them break within the first 2 1/2 days so have gone back to latex.

I also ended up back at my ortho's 2 days after my adjustment. I noticed on the way home that between my bottom teeth felt odd as though there was a little food stuck in there (which there wasn't because I hadn't eaten yet). By 3pm I had a marble sized swollen lump behind them towards the base of my mouth and the front had swollen up as well. I flossed and pikstered in case and called the office the next day as it was so sore. They fit me in for an emergency appointment the day after. The swelling had mostly gone down by that point but it was still all SO sore. My ortho told me everything looked fine and told me I need to floss :( I told him I did, but I think he's a little sick of me or something (maybe he was just having a bad day but maybe he's just sick of me). He did take the metal tie off though in case. It's still a little swollen and quite sore today.

Anyway, I also have a fresh close chain powerchain across the bottom, no new wires or anything and so far we're on track so I guess about 4 months left to go.

The teeth 2nd from the 2 middle one's are a funny shape, 1 because it's the wrong tooth for that position, the other because it just didn't grow in properly so I'll have some bonding along the bottom of those to make them squarer later down the track. The 2 bottom teeth are also uneven so one of them will be filed down a little once all my teeth are in place.

I'll stop talking now. Sorry the pic is a little dark, I took it with my phone this morning and the weather is ordinary. I'll try to take some proper one's soon.