Jem's belated story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tillybrace

Re: Jem's belated story

#196 Post by tillybrace »

jem wrote: Mon May 02, 2016 4:09 am Picture of my new hawley retainer attached. It is much less bulky than its predecessor.

Jem
I am dreading getting my one of these.

jem

#197 Post by jem »

Tilly,

I'm sure your ortho will offer you fixed and/or essix retainers if that is what you prefer. I think hawleys are less common nowadays, at least in the UK. I would not have wanted a hawley for 24/7 wear because of the aesthetics. But to wear at home to supplement my bonded retainer I have found the hawley preferable to the essix. All a matter of personal choice...

Good luck with the rest of your treatment

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

jem

#198 Post by jem »

After 5 1/2 years of wearing the previous one (at night only), I have got a new hawley retainer today. It is pretty much the same as the previous one. The old one was wearing out- the acrylic was starting to break up where the wires enter the acrylic.

i am pleased to say that wearing my retainer consistently at night has kept my teeth in the same position as they were when I finished my active treatment over 8 years ago.
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

mattt

#199 Post by mattt »

Thank you for the update, so great to hear that retainer wear pays off!!
Do you perhaps have a picture of you wearing the new retainer? Long time ago you only posted the first/transparent one, I'm curious how the ''flesh'' coloured one looks while being worn

Have a great week!!

jem

#200 Post by jem »

Sorry, Matt, I don't have any pictures. The retainer looks pretty much the same in my mouth as the previous ones. The idea of clear or transparent pink acrylic being to make the appearance of that part of the appliance as unobtrusive as possible. I know some people take a more extravert approach and have brightly coloured acrylic for their hawley retainers but that is not my style.

Thanks for your interest.

Jem