Smilehope's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NICURN85

Re: Smilehope's story

#61 Post by NICURN85 »

Hey Smilehope,

Great progress on your lowers. I hope everything goes well for you next Wednesday when you get your top braced!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

jem

#62 Post by jem »

Hi Smilehope,

Good luck on Wednesday-it should be a real milestone in your treatment. You seem to be making really good progress. I wouldn't worry about biting down on your bottom brace;if your ortho thinks it is a problem,(s)he can always give you some molar build ups, which people here seem to cope with ok and should be much easier than the plate.

I hope high school goes well for your eldest; I think that is a wonderful time in their lives. My son starts university in about three weeks and my younger daughter starts 6th form this week. Who knows where the time goes?

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

smilehope

#63 Post by smilehope »

Ha ha ha Yippeeeee!!!! Bite plate gone gone gone. 6 months of yuk all behind me and now my uppers can get moving. I'm so happy after my appointment today. Ceramic uppers fitting a doddle when you know what to expect from lowers. My husband met me outside the office, we walked into town for a coffee, and bumped into a friend - so I've already done the meeting people thing. Friend said nothing of course - lovely man!

They feel really rough against my lip so I've stocked up on wax but they don't look half as bad as I thought they would - in my mind the archwire was going to be all over the place but it's much straighter than I thought. My lowers have kept the same wire, just change of ligs. No build-ups or anything - ortho seems happy I'm biting on teeth at the front. I have an exposed wire each side over the extraction gaps - he says I need care eating near them because it's a thin wire at the moment, although if it pops out of the back I can push it back in - I'll know what to do (????!!!)

No hooks on any except the molar brackets (only 1 molar each side has a bracket - he's left the back ones alone) which I'm happy about obviously, both to reduce rubbing now and for future elastic issues.

He asked me if I wanted to keep the bite plate "to show the grandchildren". Er - no thanks. Bin it!

Ok, here's me this afternoon:

First - where did that overbite go?

Smiling - things can only get straighter

Arches - bottom looking good I reckon. Look I have the roof of my mouth back!

Sorry about focus but this is one of my bare wires I have to be careful with:

A lot of people on this board seem to have found uppers moving quicker than lowers - I don't know why, or if it'll be the same for me, but I'm rather excited about the next few months now.
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

jem

#64 Post by jem »

They look brilliant, Smilehope. You are now well on your way...

Jem

PS watch out for curries with those clear ligs!
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

smilehope

#65 Post by smilehope »

Thanks, Jem. I think my ligatures are pearl rather than clear - ortho's choice, but I think they make my teeth look whiter/ shinier if anything, so I'm happy with them. From what I've read on here they might not be as bad at staining as clear ones. I hope so - I've had tons of coffee today but they look ok so far.

My right bridging wire is cutting in today, but thank heavens for wax and mouth ulcer gel.

Another thing I noticed - for the first time he didn't do a figure of 8 twist on my lower canines but a standard 0 shape - I guess the lowers will move in a slightly different way this time.

It is strange, getting used to a new set. I didn't realise how solid & secure my bottom ones feel now, with a better shape arch and thicker rectangular wire holding them together. Now my top ones have got the "first few days" ache and a sharp thin wire, they feel suddenly vulnerable. This is really noticeable when brushing - I can brush the lowers as hard as I did pre-braces these days.

BetsyBug

#66 Post by BetsyBug »

Yay for no bite plate!!!! I'm still stuck with mine at night.... LOL but no more turbos for me either :-* Its interesting to go from a deep bite to having almost open bite in some places. You must be so excited to finally see some changes on top!! I'm excited for you can't wait to see whats in store for you in the next few weeks :)
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

jem

#67 Post by jem »

Are you missing your biteplate yet...?

Hope you are getting used to your top brackets

Jem

smilehope

#68 Post by smilehope »

Oddly, my hands still go up to take my plate out before brushing my teeth!

smilehope

#69 Post by smilehope »

Doing ok after nearly 2 weeks with uppers fitted. The wires are still a problem - my cheek gets caught in the end of the upper wire on the right. I can't see any movement from the front but photos today show a start, with that right middle incisor edging forward a bit.

On my lowers, the gap that was between lateral incisor & canine on my right has moved - now the gap is between the two right incisors. I'm hoping this is part of a general shift to the right to get my midline on track. Last week my tongue got caught on the right lower canine hook - gouged a hole which has been really painful - today is the first day where it is not quite so bad and seems to be healing.

I still have a bit of bite plate ridge on the roof of my mouth, but other than that I'm enjoying having the roof of my mouth back!

BetsyBug

#70 Post by BetsyBug »

Hi Smilehope!!! I'm sorry you are having issues with your wire on your uppers, I would call your ortho if I were you and see if something can be done with the naughty wire.
Did they tell you how long it would take for the ridge in your mouth to get better? I am wearing a bite plane at night and I am getting a ridge at on both sides from it. I assume that the roof of your mouth is just a little more pliable then what I expected but sometimes it get sore.

I am curious how your tongue caught on a lower canine hook?? it must have been some sort of tongue olympics going on ..... lol (just playing with you) I hope it feels better soon, trying a peroxide mouth wash it helps really well for that kind of thing.

:)
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

jem

#71 Post by jem »

Hi Smilehope,

Glad to hear things are moving along. Ironidc that it is the well established brace which is causing you more grief than the new one. Progress with these things is not exactly linear.

I look forward to seeing pictures in due course

Jem

smilehope

#72 Post by smilehope »

Betsybug - don't we all do tongue olympics trying to get food out of our braces while eating?

Jem - thanks - I think my lowers are more trouble because they're still moving forwards. Both the hooks, especially on the left at the moment, are rubbing.

I have a feeling my upper incisors are slightly less overlapped. Patience, patience. I might post pics next week & see what you think.

BetsyBug

#73 Post by BetsyBug »

Seems like when my canines were rotating alot my hooks dug into me in a new spot every day....that sucks. hopefully it gets better soon :)
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

smilehope

#74 Post by smilehope »

Maybe a little early change - 3 weeks uppers

before:Image

3 weeks:Image

before:Image

3 weeks:Image

Just a little change so far, lateral incisors starting to move out and wire is a bit straighter. You can still see the ridge on my palate, on my right, left behind by the bite plate. Come on teeth, you can do it! :)

jem

#75 Post by jem »

Great progress, Smilehope. Your central incisors are definitely starting to uncross. Just think how great your smile will be by Christmas!

Jem