Betsy's getting braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BetsyBug

Betsy's getting braces

#1 Post by BetsyBug »

So I finally got fed up with my jaw feeling like a prize fighter has decided to give me a mean right hook. Also as a side effect get my jumbled up crowded teeth a much needed straightening.
I really haven't thought much about getting my teeth straightened. I have a wonky upper tooth that bugged me as a pre-teen/teenager but my mom was terrified of the dentist and heaven forbid she even think about an orthodontist. (Mom had a really bad experience with her braces as a kid, she speaks of it as the worse three years of her life, of course she had the old fashioned bands around all of her teeth and it was probably much more uncomfortable than the new versions). She wouldn't even take us to the dentist for cleanings. My only memory of a dentist as a child was going in, I was in kindergarten, and getting my two lower incisors pulled because my adult teeth were growing in behind them (the start of the crowding issues). After that I didn't go to the dentist again until I was about 15. My mom owned a health food store and there was a dentist next door. I walked myself in there and the dentist offered cleanings for free (mom revered her to customers a lot so she returned the favor). After that I would just make sure I went in at least every 6 months and got cleanings. The Dr. also advised me to go to the oral surgeon to get my wisdom teeth removed as they were impacted and growing in against my other molars causing havoc with them as well. Needless to say Mom wasn't too keen on the oral surgeon, so that didn't happen. Fast forward to my mid twenties.... Wisdom teeth rear their ugly crowns again. These teeth have been trying to come in over and over for years now, they will get all inflamed and hurt and then give up and go through this cycle month after month, finally my lower left decided to get infected, so I went to the dentist and he said it had to go. A lot of numbing and gas prying and pulling and about 45 min later he finally dislodges that stubborn tooth. Some antibiotics and painkillers and an order to come back in two weeks so the other offending molars could be relieved of their position in my jaw as well. That went ok aside from a bad case of dry socket in the right lower position :ThumbsDown: , but I recovered and I didn't think about my teeth much after that.
Ok I know this story is getting long but I'll get to the point soon, I promise.
Fast forward another year or so, I get this massive sinus infection :FeelSick: , mind you I have always had sinus problems and have been a chronic mouth breather for years. Well it turns out it didn't want to give up, so I had endoscopic sinus surgery to open up my sinus cavities and drain out the infection. What a wonder, I could breathe....LOL. As a side effect I could also close my mouth. Which turned out to be a problem. My deep bite, and lack of overjet caused me to have to pull my jaw back to fit behind my front teeth. Bring on the TMJ pain. It was and still is awesome. This pain somehow causes me to clench my jaw even harder making the whole thing even worse. So after about 7 years of dealing with having to hang my mouth open like a dim wit all the time I have decided its time to make a change.
My husband had braces as a teenager and really recommended a practice to me, a long standing family practice of orthodontists and oral-facial surgeons. So I pondered and debated, and did research and kept making up excuses why we can't afford it or why I should wait and he finally put his foot down and said I needed to get it done. I called the office, the receptionist was so perky and sweet, booked my consultation and started the waiting process. It was only about a week and a half away but it seemed like FOREVER! The day came, I went in and talked to the financial lady, she showed me the different appliances, and types of braces available and was generally informative until the Dr came in.
He put me in the chair laid me back and began to probe about in my mouth spouting off this and that malocclusion, 6mm overbite, lack of proper overjet causing wearing on my bottom incisors, and a bunch of other stuff that at the time I didn't understand or comprehend. Then in human terms he explained that my deep bite and lack of overjet was causing the crowding problems and the jaw problems. He told me he needed to "unload my jaw" and let it relax and get my lower arch into a more comfortable position. In order to do this he would be putting on top and bottom braces, and bite turbos. At the time I didn't know what bite turbos were, but he explained that they were stops on the inside of my upper incisors to prop open and unload my jaw. He said then without the added pressure on my jaw my molars would come together opening up my overbite. He told me I was going to hate him for a few weeks because chewing will be difficult but I should feel immediate relief (hopefully) from the jaw pain. He told me an estimate for cost and all that jazz, then followed up with one caveat.....jaw issues are kind of trial and error, we may have to change your treatment plan and adjust which can lengthen your treatment time....please just be patient with us. (nice)
So off to the records room, x-rays, pictures, and molds (gag on the mold stuff yuck, I hear stories of flavors, not at his office...lol) I survive that and I go to brush my teeth and get the left over gunk dislodged and I run into my boss and her 13 year old daughter..yep we see the same ortho :-+ . Me and every other 13 year old in the state. Surely they have more than one adult patient. I check out and schedule my banding appointment. I was thinking spacers and a week, and then banding but nope. Straight to full braces and turbos. I have an appointment about a week and a half later. Awesome!! Oh my Gosh I'm freaking out...LOL! I haven't been this nervous in so long. I'm paying out of pocket for this (my insurance only pays for braces for kids) so I didn't see any reason to go for the clear brackets so I'm getting full metal in my mouth. I'm also kind of excited. After reading some of the stories on here seems like big changes happen pretty quickly at the start and I'm looking forward to watching my wonky teeth to get into line.
So I have three more days. I'm not going to chicken out, even though its gonna be strange to be in there with all those tweens... :)

Here are my before pics, forgive me for the staining, I really need to whiten. Blame it on my tea addiction. I figure once this madness is over I'll invest on a good whitening and a little bonding to fix some chips I have acquired along the way.

I will post some after shots tuesday

ImageImageImageImageImage
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

JennyLaughs

Re: Betsy's getting braces

#2 Post by JennyLaughs »

Welcome and good luck! :-1

smilehope

#3 Post by smilehope »

Good luck on Tuesday, Betsybug. I have to wait until Friday - but will try & post story then.
Well done putting up photos - I'm not sure I've got the guts to!
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

BetsyBug

#4 Post by BetsyBug »

I figure everyone around here has their own issues with their teeth, so I'm okay with sharing. Good luck on Friday, I'll be checking back in tuesday evening to let you all know how the bracing goes.
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

JMSmith

#5 Post by JMSmith »

Good luck tomorrow!!!

BetsyBug

#6 Post by BetsyBug »

Thank you!!!
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

smilehope

#7 Post by smilehope »

Thinking of you today, good luck!
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

trisportgirl

#8 Post by trisportgirl »

Congratulations on getting braces! The best thing about the first few weeks is you see tons of change - I was so surprised my teeth actually move that easily. I had bite turbos too, and I can tell you they are EVIL! I couldn't chew anything for 10 days after getting them on, and they cut my tongue up really badly. You eventually get used to them, but I was so glad to get them off - I had a lisp the whole time they were on, so as soon as I got them off I walked around for about a day going "sssssssssss". :) If you need food suggestions or need to vent just let me know! I was complaining to everyone around me, but of course they didn't understand and just kinda went "well you did it to yourself..."
Braced on November 1, 2011
Debanded on November 9, 2012
Permanent retainers top and bottom + Hawley top

BetsyBug

#9 Post by BetsyBug »

Trisportgirl - thank you!!! I am a little concerned about the turbos but I'm trying to stay positive. Like you said we do this to ourselves so I'm looking at it as good time to jump start a diet....LOL. I'm sure I'm going to sound silly when I talk, and am expecting my kids to laugh at me excessively. I already told my work I'm going to be handicapped for a little while so they have been warned...LOL.
Smilehope - thank you!!! Its funny how nervous I am, I kept dreaming about teeth last night..LOL. My appointment is at 2:00 this afternoon so I'm going to leave work, get some lunch and go on in.... even better is as soon as I'm done with the ortho I have an eye dr appt too, so I don't even get to dwell on my hardware much before I have to think about my eyes...should be fun.
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

VioletJay

#10 Post by VioletJay »

Good luck today! Yay - we're brace twins! Well, we will be in TWO DAYS when I get mine on too! Excited!!!
Proud mama, graphic designer, writer and editor, working toward increased self sufficiency with my man, my little girl and my wits about me! Adios, jumbly teeth; hello happy smile! :)

BetsyBug

#11 Post by BetsyBug »

Yep. I survived my bracing. The bite turbos are going to take some getting used to but other than that I'm a-ok. Am posting from my phone so I'll follow up with details once I am at my computer. :)
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

denSMSgt

#12 Post by denSMSgt »

Welcome to the club! First few days are usually kind of rough (no pun intended acutally), but you'll get accustomed to stuff before long and sometimes forget they're even there.

I thought I was a pro since I've done this more than once already, but discovered after 10-ish years, my mouth was all torn up on the inside for a bit. Larger rectangular wire at the next appointment did it to me again too! I figured that would be it, but my next appointment they're adding brackets and longer archwire to the lower rear molars so I'm sure I'm in for more jabbing and tenderness.

The win this go-round is I have used NO wax! I may have just jinxed myself... time will tell.

I'm not the only 'old-guy' usually in the office, but definitely outnumbered by the teens. I only hate when the staff just assumes the 40-ish year old guy doesn't want a cool lig colours!

Have fun with it, the payoff is gonna be COOL. Don't forget to SMILE! :tingrin:

d

BetsyBug

#13 Post by BetsyBug »

That's funny about the ligs the girl assumed I wanted silver to match my metal but I stopped her oh no give me color please :)
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

Bec There

#14 Post by Bec There »

Congrats on getting braced BetsyBug :) It's all uphill from here! So what colour ligs did you choose? I'm digging the purple at the moment but I know before long I'll be hating on them and want a change because 2 months is long time! haha.

So I hope you're not in too much pain. I have had barely any until thismorning, 2 and a half days in. But I'm grinning and baring it because my spaces are closing! Yay! I hope you notice progress equally fast :)

BetsyBug

#15 Post by BetsyBug »

well I tried to post pictures... not going to happen from work...so I'll post this evening when I get home.....
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story