Can I do it?

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EbonyQ

Re: Can I do it?

#451 Post by EbonyQ »

Felt that my treatment with elastics were going slooooooow and wanted to speed it up.
I´m currently in ¼ 4 oz 6mm elastics on both sides which I don´t mind at daytime because I can speak normally with them but at night I asked boss if I could use double elastics on my left side (which has class 2) to speed them up a little more at night time, which was ok 8) Move teeth, move!!!

I have never liked my smile and did not smile smiled much with my teeth before I got braces.
And today I smiled this big smile and laughed of something a pt said in the chair when boss joined us to help me with something and he commend on how beautiful my smile have gotten.
Nobody have told me that before. That really made my day! :heart: He´s a great boss!

Today boss showed me what he does to see if the pt has TMJ and did those tests on me to show me (and the same time see if I had TMJ). Very interesting! I think I have found the best job! There is so much to learn! :D

The good thing about working with a ortho while in braces is that I can ask him everything whenever I feel for it. When I worry about something I can just show him and he can see if it´s normal or not (normally it´s just me overreacting :roll: ). It´s not just one time I have texted him about something to ask if it´s normal or asked him to take a look at something while at work :roll: .

He is saving Eric from many e-mails 8) :lol:

[/url]

starfish88

#452 Post by starfish88 »

Wow! I'm glad that everything is go great for you, not only with your braces but with your life and job. Who would have thought that the dental and orthodontic fears would have lead you to such a great place in your life! I guess it's because you did something so amazing to take charge and manage them! This is so fantastic to read!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

debinator

#453 Post by debinator »

wonderful progress!! I have been reading your story and have found it very interesting your perseverance in the face of fear is exemplary!

klobird

#454 Post by klobird »

Hey Eb--now more than ever, I would love to be employed by an ortho....2 weeks to go and I am just dying to know if my teeth will be ready by then...Right now, I don't think so. But I'm not an ortho, and I don't work for one! MWAAAHHHH. (Oh ya, and my ortho is closed this week-- just in case I felt the overwhelming need to run in a have him take another look... :( )

My next appt is my final evaluation next Monday, and then debanding the Monday afterward. I sure hope he can pull off a miracle, because I'm going to Hawaii with braces on if they still look like this....never, ever thought I might be the one telling him not to take them off!!

Can you even believe how long you've been in braces Eb? Good job!! :jump:

EbonyQ

#455 Post by EbonyQ »

Last Monday I worked on this dentalphobia clinic and it was very interesting to see that side of their treatment. They allowed me to take part in everything, they really wanted me to learn as much as possible. I´m very glad they trusted me that much and I¨m very grateful to be able to be there. They are doing such a great job and what I learn there will help me (I hope) be a better assistant.

And on Monday I have my appoitment with Eric.... I have not been able to relax for several weeks, the anxeity is not a fun thing at all..

We have a newly educated dentist at our office and today she admitted that she did not know anything about dental fear. She knew that it existed but not how it was and what to do about it. I therefor told her about my own dental fear and she was shocked that it could be that strong.
On Monday I will for the first time take someone with me to my adjustment (I have not done it before because I have been to embarrassed about my anxiety and reactions) and it will be this dentist. She said she has never seen dental fear before (I think she have had pt with dental fear before but without knowing it because she has not known what to look for) and did not think it was that of a problem for people. I will therefore take her with me to this appointment to show her. It might help her and her future pts later, and she wants to learn about it. I warned her about my reactions but she still wanted to come.

The scared pt I told you guys about earlier who was proud of her pink power chain and had skipped many adjustments because of her dental fear showed up on her appointment today! I was so happy!
She was a little late and I thought “oh no, she has started to skip again. Did it not work what I did at her last adjustment?” but she came. She got a little present from our office when she left, she should be proud of herself today. Did so well!

And I will end this post by saying that my own dental anxiety is very bad now. This weekend will be a very long one...

[/url]

klobird

#456 Post by klobird »

EB--you are at 15 months today!! THAT IS AMAZING! You should be sooooo proud of yourself!

It's not that long until you will be done---and then you will have AMAZING teeth. There should be an award ceremony the day you get your braces off... :heart:

I have an appointment on Monday too.... :wink:

TMJJill

#457 Post by TMJJill »

Hi Ebony,

Is there something about this appointment that is making things worse than they have been? What will they be doing this time?

Are you extra fearful because you have the new dentist coming with you? I think you are very strong to do that.

Keep us updated on how you do.

Jill

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

EbonyQ

#458 Post by EbonyQ »

Klobird: I know!! You have to post pictures when you´re done!! Wow, I can´t believe it!

And yes, 15 months!!! :crazy:

Tmjill: This dentist is as old as me (24) and I look at her as a friend even though we have not known each other that long.

I remember one time she wanted to just take a look on my teeth (which was ok) and I was “stiff” with anxiety. She asked me why I´m this stiff and don´t just relax (I just 5 min earlier told her I had dental phobia). She did not understand it.
So yeah, I think she needs it. It´s not set in stone, I told her that I might cancel our deal if the anxiety gets too bad but so far I don´t mind having her there.

Yeah, there are something special happening on this appointment. Something Eric has talked about since January but it has been postponed several times and I have therefor been build up this anxiety since then....

[/url]

TMJJill

#459 Post by TMJJill »

Sending you hugs from afar. :-1

Your post title asks "Can I do it?" So far you've made it 15 months. I'd say that by taking things one step at a time the answer has been yes so far. You CAN do it!!

Good luck on Monday.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

plugnickel69

#460 Post by plugnickel69 »

[quote Yeah, there are something special happening on this appointment. Something Eric has talked about since January but it has been postponed several times and I have therefor been build up this anxiety since then....[/quote]

I'm only a couple of weeks behind you. What's the plan for this appointment that has you so worried?

EbonyQ

#461 Post by EbonyQ »

Tmjill: Thanks! You are one of my greatest supporter on this forum! :heart: :heart:

Plugnickel: And you too! :heart: :heart:

It was something with steel ligature to hold some of my teeth together while some teeth are being moved with a small power chain.

I sent Eric an e-mail and told him that I can not do this tomorrow. My anxiety is very bad, it has been building itself up for this (so this specific treatment is the cause of this anxiety) and the dentist treating my anxiety is spending two weeks in New York (so I can´t have an appointment with her before the app. with Eric).

Eric wants me to send him e-mail when there is something. Now that I told him that we are not going to do this my anxiety is a bit better :D

[/url]

jem

#462 Post by jem »

Hi Ebony,

That sounds like "lacing". Look on Kipepeo's page to see a good example of what it looks like on her lovely teeth. I also had it just on 3 teeth for about 6 months, but my ortho called it a holding wire. It is just to hold certain teeth together whilst work is being done elsewhere. Because it is not causing any movement of the teeth, it does not hurt in the slightest and I think it looks quite neat.

So worry not, it is no big deal and you have surmounted far higher hurdles in the past.

Good luck as ever and please post some pictures!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Kipepeo

#463 Post by Kipepeo »

Ebony, if it is lacing like I have, it feels like a power chain being installed. But once it's on it doesn't pull at all. You'll forget about it.

plugnickel69

#464 Post by plugnickel69 »

Ebony,I agree with Jem and Kipepeo. It's lacing and just keeps things in place. No pressure. I've had it for at least the last 6 months, top and bottom, 8 teeth laced together. The powerchains closed the spaces. The lacing keeps the teeth together. I also agree that it looks kind of neat and it certainly doesn't hurt.

Ebony, email Eric and tell him you can do it. He (or you) always can remove it if you can't handle it. Come on. Give it a try. You've overcome more difficult concerns. You can do this!

Kipepeo

#465 Post by Kipepeo »

jem wrote:That sounds like "lacing". Look on Kipepeo's page to see a good example of what it looks like on her lovely teeth.
Why thank you, Sir Jem!