OK--This was not the plan!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

klobird

Re: OK--This was not the plan!

#61 Post by klobird »

I guess I should add, now that I'm not feeling so sorry for myself, that yes, I am really thankful for what the elastics are doing. And they are only annoying, that's it. When I'm working, I don't even notice them. I don't care that they are somewhat visible-that doesn't bug me at all.. It's when I want to eat something, and being told I need to use the same force all day. So, if I don't take the elastics out when I eat, they tend to snap or come off the hook and I don't want to swallow one. (which I have already--along with a whole lot of wax)..

So, I take them out when I eat. And EVERY SINGLE TIME I lose them. No matter where I put them. They are little and they are an off white. I drop them on the ground, in the sink etc etc etc. So,there goes using the same amount of force all day by using the same elastics... The problem is that I don't know how much of a problem it is if I put a new stronger elastic in.
(Elastics get looser as the day goes on...and your supposed to keep that type of force in place all day long apparently).

A really good solution, in my opinion, is to make even the lighter "quail" elastics with colors too. The heavier ones are available in colors, but not the kind I have. At least then I would be able to see them better.!!!

At any rate---they are working, and in the end the fact that I didn't like my elastics won't matter--all that will matter is my new great smile!!!

Nettie

#62 Post by Nettie »

just stopping by to say hi! I didn't get those darn elastics you keep talking about but I am sure they are in my future!!!

Gosh I hope our time in braces fly by, seems like it is slow motion :|
Counting the days till my first adjustment or until we see movement.

Like you said one event at a time...

klobird

#63 Post by klobird »

Well it's been exactly 6 weeks today since I got braces...Every day something different is going on, and where I needed wax yesterday is different from where I will need it today. It's been that way since the beginning.

A new thing, that I haven't had before, is discomfort from the elastics. They seem really tight today, and they are rubbing pretty bad on the inside of my cheeks right by the corners of my mouth. I've got sores now from the rubbing and it's uncomfortable.

Another weird thing--my mouth still seems lopsided. Like when I close my mouth,but not all the way,
the bottom jaw is higher on the left side than on the right.

Last night I beat my flossing 7 minutes mark. Got it down to 6! So with my 7 steps at night, the whole cleaning process takes about 20 minutes now.

hmmm....I've got 2 painful sores right now...think I will get the oragel out...have only used that once before...

klobird

#64 Post by klobird »

The oragel works great! The numbing is really strong at first but then it settles down and works for a long time. And today the elastics are not an issue. It is so weird how one day I can wake up and something about the braces in one area will bother me all day, and then I wake up the next morning and it's totally fine..It's so weird...

klobird

#65 Post by klobird »

Update: Today everything is hunky dory..I don't even think I will need wax today for the first time in a long time..I have always tried to skimp on the wax. Not a good idea, and there is no reason to. It stays on just fine and it helps a ton.
So, I'm really into wax, but today everything is in a position where it might not even be necessary....cool!

klobird

#66 Post by klobird »

I have come to the conclusion that I have to weigh the benefits and enjoyment of eating against the work involved in clean-up afterward. Eating is just not as enjoyable as before. But that can be a really good thing...

We are starting to hike a whole lot more because the weather is getting better (I live where there is forest all around me).
So the hiking combined with choosing to eat less over clean-up is really a benefit to me. And I drink a lot more water than I did before braces. The only things I will drink without a straw are coffee and water. I drink EVERYTHING else with a straw now. I don't want pop and acidic juices washing over my braced teeth.

So, yesterday we sort of got lost in the forest (well, we weren't too worried--cell phones are great). It was really interesting. We found an old abandoned logging pick-up truck. It was red and had "Lone Wolf Log Co" painted in white on the driver's side door. It was pretty stripped down and had moss growing on the roof of the cab. And further on we found a platform built high in between the trees with a hammock hanging over it and a dream catcher hanging down from it. What a great place to hang out--deep in the forest. And then we finally made our way to the beach--the saltwater was so clear--so clean. We decided we want to go there in the summer (meaning when it finally gets warm here) to swim. It was so peaceful and only about 4 miles from where we live.

So, I'm loving the new exercise and accepting that eating is not as pleasurable as before--it's a great diet...

klobird

#67 Post by klobird »

OK --note to me, when I look back at this:

I have:
8 molar bands. 8 buccal tubes. 8-10 elastic hooks, or some kind of hook--cant tell what some of them are. A pair of lingual cleats. And a pair of cleats on the very furthest back molar on the cheekside. Elastics since day one. And the forsus to come. Who knows what else is coming...

klobird

#68 Post by klobird »

7 weeks today since braces were put on...

Well, I looked and I have 6 molar bands, and 6 buccal tubes. On July 19 I will get the spacers for the remaining 2 molar bands with buccal tubes, and then get those on July 26th. They couldn't get the spacers in between where they needed them on brace day, and decided they could wait since they wouldn't need them until July 26th for whatever they have planned on that visit...

klobird

#69 Post by klobird »

I still haven't had much action as far as teeth moving...Everyone else says they can see it. I really can't. That's probably why I never have any real pain....cuz nothing's happening!!! I will be the last one left on this site!!! Everyone else will be eating popcorn and gummy bears but me!!!

The ortho said my teeth should start to feel loose...whatever, like when I'm 90 or something??? Because it sure isn't happening now!!

Actually, I really like having braces...it's always an ice breaker...and the most common thing I hear is--"I've been thinking about it!" Some old friends came in from Kansas yesterday. They saw my braces, and the first thing the wife said was--"I've been telling my husband he needs to get braces" to which he replied, "Well, I guess my fate is sealed now"...I think he really was wanting to, and when he saw mine just felt a little more OK about it...

My brother and his wife are elementary school teachers--he was SHOCKED when I told him I got braces--at 55...
We are having our yearly family get together in 2 weeks and I can't wait to hear his braces stories with the kids.
I bet it's going to be hilarious!!

Kipepeo

#70 Post by Kipepeo »

This morning I was thinking how I can't SEE any changes whatsoever, but I can FEEL changes. Even the slightest change in my bite will bother me to no end. So far I can't touch my eye teeth together on one side any more, and my molars on the other side were meeting weird, but are fine now.

I also have family (my brother and his family) coming in a couple weeks who do not know yet about my braces. My other brother and his wife were here last weekend, and they were interested, and once I showed them, no other talk about them. But my brothers would not question my decision, or say anything such as "you don't need those", etc. Neither had braces as kids like I did.

Beauty is Pain

#71 Post by Beauty is Pain »

Everyone's progress is different! Be patient :) hehe you will soon start to see changes, oh yeh and the day when I felt my teeth starting to move, I was in shock and in awe, seriously it was that feeling that all my teeth are going to fall off...like teething!! :)

klobird

#72 Post by klobird »

I'm going to the ortho in about an hr to get another pokey clipped and to ask about 2 others which I think that the ends are supposed to be there. That's where I will be getting the final 2 buccal tubes, so the wires aren't hooked into anything...it's just that the ends move, or my mouth moves, and then the ends of the wires poke and catch on the inside of my cheeks. It's ok a couple of times, but after a day of catching on my cheeks it gets kind of uncomfortable.

I've had something really weird for a couple of weeks. My top tooth is landing on my bottom lip in such a way that I have to pull the bottom lip out from under the top tooth. It's weird and all the time.

So, I found out that the inventor of Damon braces lives about 4 1/2 hrs from me, and he has a regular ortho office there.
Wow, that would be cool--to have Dr. Damon be the one to watch over your Damon braces ortho treatment!!

klobird

#73 Post by klobird »

Oh ya, and I completely forgot--when I go to the ortho today,they are going to give me a mouth guard made for braces.
I just have to cut it to fit or something. I hope it works with elastics too. I am the worst clencher on the face of the earth :shock:

klobird

#74 Post by klobird »

I went to the ortho today..they snipped the pokey, and crimped a couple of other pokeys that can't be clipped right now because of where they are.

I asked about the clenching thing and the mouth guard. They gave me a sports mouth guard that you cut down to fit.
It's not working out. The assistant said before I left that it might not work, so she is ordering some other kind of mouth guard.

Bottom line--the ortho asked to see my bite after 2 months (almost) now. He said I WILL have the Forsus appliance, and at that time I might have to have bite turbos anyway. And that those would also help with the clenching. And that when I'm not in the Forsus, I could have elastics the entire time I am braced....

Ok, so I give up. I accept that this is going to be a grueling 2 yrs. I know it will be worth it--2yrs is just 2yrs. (Well, I hope to h*ll it's just 2yrs!!) I will go thru each stage as it comes, deal with it and go on...I have looked at every video regarding braces, and all the appliances, that I am not too shocked by what I see anymore. Bite turbos and the Forsus look awful, but whoooaaaa, there are some REALLY NASTY looking appliances and things that people go thru during braces, including surgery. I want to just be so thankful that I am able to have braces. And I am, I really am. And I just really love showing them off, and shocking people and getting reactions!! It is soooo interesting to me!!

Kipepeo

#75 Post by Kipepeo »

klobird wrote:And I just really love showing them off, and shocking people and getting reactions!! It is soooo interesting to me!!
I would so like to accompany you in public! :crazy: