OK--This was not the plan!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drgnchsr36

Re: OK--This was not the plan!

#46 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Hope you don't have to get the bite turbos! I heard those are a pain. I didn't get those, but I did get the buildups and am hating life when it comes to eating. All my comfort food besides ice cream isn't something I can have yet, since chewing seems to still be an issue.

klobird

#47 Post by klobird »

Notes to self:

1. Don't ever eat rice in public. Don't eat it in private unless I want to spend forever cleaning my mouth.
The rice gets stuck in every single crack and crevice in the braces, and feels totally yucky!

2. Ibuprofen works wonders!!

Now I'm going to eat chili--I'm going to eat chili because they wouldn't agree to me having ceramics... Unfortunately for me, the reasons made sense....but ceramics do look so nice...

klobird

#48 Post by klobird »

I haven't really noticed any changes at all to speak of--I thought I did, but I'm not so sure now...Oh well, it's only been two weeks. I feel my braces working (or doing whatever they need to do)...but I don't see any interesting changes at all.

I'm back to wax in the same spot way in the left,upper back...the spot she snipped last time. It was ok for about a day, then back to feeling all sharp like before...I'm just going to keep waxing--the wax doesnt even move when I eat, which makes eating more tolerable too.

Man 2yrs seems like a long time.....(lol--sort of)

klobird

#49 Post by klobird »

I can't make up my mind which of my 2 blogs I should use--I'm coming back to this one because I really dislike how whiny I am in the other one--and because my pics are on the other one, and I feel really embarrassed when I see them.

So, getting along in the process--over a month!! I just went over to the neighbor's--we were outside in the sun and she said she had to cover her eyes because my braces are so shiny in the sun..hahaha!!! Then she came up to my face to ask if she could check out her lipstick by looking at my braces!!! (She was kidding..)

OK, so going to work now...my world must go on.....(although I seem to be like addicted to the web--especially about the braces--I really need to get back to life!!)

klobird

Re: This was not the plan!

#50 Post by klobird »

So, I feel like I'm playing "Catch me if you can"....brother....this blog, no that blog, no this blog....hmmmmm

Today my gums and teeth are itching like crazy!! ARRGGGHHHHH...itchy,itchy,itchy and I would think it would mean that they are getting loose or something, but they haven't yet...

My braces aren't really bugging me so much--I must be getting used to them. I was surprised how I could just bite into a piece of chicken without it hurting my front teeth finally...

I am wondering--how in the h#ll are you supposed to tell if you have a real toothache problem that needs attention, or just another braces thing going on. I had tons of dental work before braces (mostly because I looooovvvvveeee my "super dentist" and couldn't think of enough reasons to go to her!!--really! :BigGrin: ) OK---so I have to confess--I love her nitrous too!!! But the cool part is that she knows it and is totally cool with it! And I really did need to have the work done that I had been putting off for years...yes, since about November it's been all about teeth, teeth, teeth. My OCD has found a resting place at last.... :crazy:

Beauty is Pain

#51 Post by Beauty is Pain »

haha hi klobird! I loved your latest post!! You are sounding really happy :) this blog is better for you perhaps?? A fresh new start?? :) hahaha teeth is a subject that I always find myself thinking about when I am bored :P

Nettie

#52 Post by Nettie »

LOL, just read through this blog. Love it. You can alternate blogs. You are hilarious, good humored and fun to read.
Reading this forum is now part of my daily routine. It's raining here today, so indoor time and perhaps I'll figure out the signature, ticker thing and perhaps post some photos so that my blog may actually be informative.

How's the itchiness? Must be the gums waking up and or your teeth wiggling loose. I was told that by my ortho that there is much/the most movement in the first 6 months!

Nettie

klobird

#53 Post by klobird »

OH! I am so excited!

I just found out that I can make music with my elastics! Each elastic has the 2 strands when they are hooked on. And when I pluck them they sound like notes...so, the higher on the strands I pluck the higher the note. And then when I pluck the other side, the notes are different...... I can't wait to pluck out a song for my ortho!!!

Hahahahaha...ok so I was just waking up and started to play with them...I gotta make them fun somehow!!!

OK....gotta run, gotta write a song.... :rawk:

Beauty is Pain

#54 Post by Beauty is Pain »

omg hahah music! Now I am looking forward to the elastics....not :P That makes life a lot less boring in waiting rooms and stuff for appointments :p

klobird

#55 Post by klobird »

I have had so many pokeys today that my mouth is doing the hokey pokey!! And so much wax in my mouth that I could hold a candle making party!!

Everyday is different...anyway, I think my mouth is lopsided. Like its further open on one side than the other--it's weird.

I bought this dental pic thing online. It has four different pick types you can screw into the end of the straight rod. Anyway, I have this plastic hook type pick that is my favorite. I absolutely know that it was in the extra bag of stuff I got from the ortho office, but the mgr. insists it wasn't. Well, let's see...hmmm...I never even used picks before braces...must have fallen from the sky into my bathroom or something... :roll:

So, I have been looking everywhere for this favorite type of pick and it is nowhere to be found. So, I ordered something like it online...It was only $3.50...we'll see.....

klobird

#56 Post by klobird »

Note to self: When you go out to eat with a bunch of friends, go straight to the bathroom after eating and clean things up!!
I went straight to the car, was the first one there so I had a chance to look at my teeth before the others got to the car.
And I had this humongous piece of mushroom stuck right in my upper front brackets. OMG!! It was hideous!
And I swallowed a chunk of wax---again. I have usually been able to eat with the wax still on, but there is this one spot where it just won't stay thru the tough times....

Anyway, I don't even bother to eat with the elastics on anymore. I got thru the first month just fine--and then they started coming undone, or snapping right while I had a mouthful of food...Ya, try to find that elastic in the mirror with your mouth full of food. Eating and cleaning--kind of a pain in the a#s, although I am graduating to more difficult food.

I wanted to see why everyone said salad was impossible. Ya, it is..for me anyway...I think it needs to be in big chunks or something before you are able to eat it, or it's like trying to eat something that's not even food. Like plastic wrap. I just had a little, and remembered what someone said in this forum--that they would be the first person to die by salad!

klobird

#57 Post by klobird »

So, today was a really weird day with braces---first, I hardly even noticed them and I was thinking just wait until I eat.
But that wasn't that bad either. For the first time it didn't really feel like I was eating with a mouth full of silverware. It's getting more acceptable. Maybe because I am forgetting how it is to eat without them. And then clean-up wasn't that bad. I'm getting my routine down. Except last night I timed how long it took me to floss...7 minutes...that is an unexceptable performance!! So, I'm going for better timing...we'll see...

And the other thing--I was with friends today and I said something like "You know with my braces....." and it just hit me...
I have braces!!! It's like I still can't believe that I actually have braces--that I actually took that plunge. And it just kind of feels cool that it's true! But then I am reminded HOW LONG I will have these in terms of ALL the events that will happen between now and when I get them off, and it gets a little overwhelming...But I have 5 weeks and 3 days down...Yipppeeee!! (Someday I will realize how little time that really is.....)

catgyrl

#58 Post by catgyrl »

Everyday is different...anyway, I think my mouth is lopsided. Like its further open on one side than the other--it's weird.
klobird-

I told my ortho the same thing; that my smile was crooked, and higher/more open on one side. His (deadpan) reply: "Oh... you wanted them to be STRAIGHT?? Shoulda told me that in the beginning." :roll: Yeah... that's his humor...

klobird

#59 Post by klobird »

Well I'm getting to the 1 1/2 month mark pretty soon. And I'm beginning to panic. I got elastics right off the bat--right when I got my braces on. And I'm wondering if anyone else had to wear them or something like them (forsus for me) the
entire time they were or are in braces...since it's 3 months from my bracing to my first adjustment, I don't even see the ortho to ask the questions....I really do not want to be in elastics for 2 years...especially since I don't know what configuration could be next...I don't get why some people have elastics that go across their front teeth....I mean c'mon,
that's just ---ewwww......

Elastics are just so damn annoying....such a total annoying pain in the a^s......

catgyrl

#60 Post by catgyrl »

klobird wrote:I'm wondering if anyone else had to wear them or something like them (forsus for me) the
entire time they were or are in braces...since it's 3 months from my bracing to my first adjustment, I don't even see the ortho to ask the questions....I really do not want to be in elastics for 2 years...especially since I don't know what configuration could be next...I don't get why some people have elastics that go across their front teeth....I mean c'mon,
that's just ---ewwww......

Elastics are just so damn annoying....such a total annoying pain in the a^s......
I've read a few stories on here from people who have said they got elastics on Day 1, but I'm not sure they had to wear them the ENTIRE time they were braced. I would think that at some point the bite would be corrected, and they could come off (unless it was a particularly stubborn case).

Re: elastics that go across their front teeth - did you mean a powerchain that links all of the brackets, or did you mean an elastic that hooks onto a hook on one side of the top teeth and connects at the opposite side of the bottom one? Powerchains (like what I had until last month) are mainly used to close up gaps. The elastic across the mouth, I believe, is used to fix the midline (middle line of the top and bottom central incisors). Thankfully, mine seems to be pretty lined up right now, so I really hope I won't need that one!

Yes... I'm with ya 100%. Elastics SUCK, and I can't believe I was so excited to get them back in January. Don't get me wrong - I am extremely grateful at what they have done (and will continue to do), but it would be nice to have a break from them; even if it's just one side.

-Cathy