Am I Stressing Over Nothing? D-Day 1-6-11

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kgstar

Am I Stressing Over Nothing? D-Day 1-6-11

#1 Post by kgstar »

So I am a mother of 3 huge boys that I have always known will need braces some time soon. I, on the other hand, wanted braces as a kid, I even went to an orthodontist but was told I didn't need them. I was so bummed out :cry: , I remember even tricking people into thinking I had them by wearing a strip of foil on my teeth!! (weird huh? I bet no one else has done that!)
When I was younger I had a bad cavity in my back molar, but we were poor so I would just roll in pain daily until my mom finally took me to a dentist. It needed a root canal it was so bad, but since we couldnt afford that she opted to just fill the cavity.
Ten years later and ten years ago, it started to disintegrate. I went to the dentist but it couldnt be saved. It was pulled and nothing else was said about it. I didnt realize the affects of NOT having a tooth there.......until now!!! :-=
I started grinding/clenching my teeth about a year ago. My jaw started hurting and popping. Now my teeth dont line up and hit even when I am simply talking. My bottom teeth have shifted at the front and by clenching my jaw, has starting pushing out one of my front teeth. None of which is very noticeable, I have always been told I have nice teeth. The worst part now is that the tooth above the missing tooth's space is coming down into the whole, which just looks like my tooth is about to fall off!!!
My dentist tried having me use a bridge but after it failed she referred me to an orthodontist saying she didnt think I needed braces.
After 3 consults and the same answer I have finally picked an ortho to put my braces on. I have gone back and forth in deciding if I want them or not, they are expensive!! Because I keep changing my mind, I finally set a date and went in to get the records/molds/x-rays done.
Now I am stressing out! The date is getting closer and with the holidays coming up, its getting worse! I have paid the downpayment and the cost of the records as well as the extra charge for the clear braces on top.
Then on my way out the receptionist told me she had clear once and then the second time did metal and thought they were way better. Then she also told me of a girl who came in and got the clear and came back a week later to get them replaced with metal ones! :-+
At this point I am confused and scared to make the wrong decision. Obviously I cant afford to have one set done and go back and pay to have them removed and replaced with the different ones. Its a big commitment, its 2 years! The worst part is that everyone sees me as dumb for complaining and dumb for doing it since at first glance my teeth seem fine. What they don't know is that my teeth are bad enough for braces, top and bottom for no less than a year and a half! Plus I am in pain most days because of my jaw issues.
I have a big cheesy smile and big canines. I don't want metal but debate it because they are smaller than the clear ones. I am a Snickers, corn on the cob, clear soda and steak lover. I am skinny as a rail so I cant afford to not be able to eat these things and lose weight.
My questions/concerns/stressors are:
How long will I be in pain?
How long until I can eat solids?
Will I not be able to close my mouth?
Do clear sodas stain the bands on clear brackets?
Can drinking out of a straw help prevent stains when drinking tea and coffee? (Im not a big coffee drinker but Starbucks intrigues me every once in a while)
AND the most important question........has ANYONE ever went back to have braces replaced for the opposite kind????????

kgstar

Re: Am I Stressing Over Nothing? D-Day 1-6-11

#2 Post by kgstar »

I cant add pictures yet but as soon as I can you will be able to see what I mean :)

luchababe

#3 Post by luchababe »

I wouldn't fret too much about metal vs. clear. I got Damons because my Dr. believes they're better. He said the clear ones work exactly the same as the metal ones, they're just more expensive to make hence they charge more for them. Damons don't use elastics, they're self ligating so I don't need to worry about anything staining.

I was pretty freaked out before getting mine but now I see if was for nothing.

Good luck! And you'll find LOTS of helpful info and people here on the forum. It's helped me immensely.
:D

drgnchsr36

#4 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I had the same question for my ortho!!!

I am going ceramic on top and metal on the bottom (don't have a choice about the bottom ones). But, I asked the question if I didn't like the ceramic (heard they're bigger, may cause more canker sores?).. could I change to metal. She stated yes, but that I might have extra cost involved since it's so many.

But, I'm just going to go for it :) - I know a lot of co-workers who have ceramic and are happy with them! Unfortunately, I will have ligs, but can change them out on a weekly basis. Need to ask the question about the straw and tea/dr. pepper.. cuz I love those two! I don't drink soda all the time, but when I do.. it's usually Dr. Pepper.

luchababe is right, this forum is fantastic!!

kgstar

#5 Post by kgstar »

KgStar

29 y.o.
Uppers: Ceramic Invu
Lowers: Metal Damons

Find my story here [url=http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38160]

gotbracesat49mom

#6 Post by gotbracesat49mom »

Hi,

My suggestion would be to go with whatever type of braces your orthodontist thinks is best for your case. I have metal on top an bottom for an open bite, and yes, they are "uncomfortable" at first, but not painful.
I found using a straw awkward, myself, and just drank more out of the bottom of my mouth, not closing my top lips when I drank, sounds wierd, but worked for me. It felt like my top lip was "resting" on my braces, for lack of a better word. I thought it looked wierd to me at first, but no one else thought so. Initially, I used a lot of wax, it became my new best friend!! At times, again, initially, I had to take some Ibuprofen occasionally, but it's been forever since I've had to do that. (had braces now 15 months). I couldn't chew anything "hard" first week or so, mostly had to chew slowly and "softly". Don't worry, this phase won't last for long.
For me, the worst part was how the food sticks all over your braces, initially, I was very self-conscious, but no one else seemed to notice (silly me).I did brush my teeth mor often to avoid food on my braces, especially in the begining when I was so self-conscious. Now, I barely even notice any discomfort, on rare occasions I have to use wax if they are irritating my gums.
I was very anxious at first also, oh, and when I was young, we used to take paper clips and shape them like braces. haha. (never tried tinfoil :D). Well good luck, IT'S EXCITING AND A LITTLE SCARY, BUT WELL WORTH IT!!
You'll love this website and find lots of friendly people and helpful information. I'll be watching to see how you do:)

kgstar

#7 Post by kgstar »

gotbracesat49mom wrote:Hi,

My suggestion would be to go with whatever type of braces your orthodontist thinks is best for your case. I have metal on top an bottom for an open bite, and yes, they are "uncomfortable" at first, but not painful.
I found using a straw awkward, myself, and just drank more out of the bottom of my mouth, not closing my top lips when I drank, sounds wierd, but worked for me. It felt like my top lip was "resting" on my braces, for lack of a better word. I thought it looked wierd to me at first, but no one else thought so. Initially, I used a lot of wax, it became my new best friend!! At times, again, initially, I had to take some Ibuprofen occasionally, but it's been forever since I've had to do that. (had braces now 15 months). I couldn't chew anything "hard" first week or so, mostly had to chew slowly and "softly". Don't worry, this phase won't last for long.
For me, the worst part was how the food sticks all over your braces, initially, I was very self-conscious, but no one else seemed to notice (silly me).I did brush my teeth mor often to avoid food on my braces, especially in the begining when I was so self-conscious. Now, I barely even notice any discomfort, on rare occasions I have to use wax if they are irritating my gums.
I was very anxious at first also, oh, and when I was young, we used to take paper clips and shape them like braces. haha. (never tried tinfoil :D). Well good luck, IT'S EXCITING AND A LITTLE SCARY, BUT WELL WORTH IT!!
You'll love this website and find lots of friendly people and helpful information. I'll be watching to see how you do:)

Thank you so much! I appreciate the insight into some of the difficulties and the tidbit of the paperclips :lol: I feel so much better knowing I am not alone on that one : :mrgreen:
I know it will be worth it I am just so worried about how its going to look for someone my age and all. Its quite stressfull! I moved up my appointment because the dread of waiting is killing me! I know it will be better once I get them and deal with the issues of having them but waiting seems to be the hard part :cry:
KgStar

29 y.o.

sadpanda

#8 Post by sadpanda »

Hi -

I suppose I'm a little bit confused about how not having a tooth in a space made you need braces. I had a similar problem. I couldn't afford a root canal and got a filling, but the problem wasn't solved and it was extremely painful. The tooth was pulled eventually, leaving a huge gap. Years later, (when I was 29) I went to some orthos who all recommended that I get upper and lower braces, but they were for a huge overbite that I'd always had, an overjet, mild crowding, spacing issues, a midline problem, and TMJ on the right side. None of it had to do with the molar being pulled. In fact, the ortho said that it would take too long to close the gap and I'd be in braces for over 2 years just to close it. So, I will always have a large gap where I lost the tooth. As for jaw issues, the ortho said that the alignment might get a little better, but that braces cannot cure the problem. He said to hold off on surgery until I'm in unbearable pain. I'm definitely ok for now. I also clench/grind my teeth and have read that it's involuntary and you can't really stop it from happening. Anyway, I turned 30 with braces and I've had them for nearly 5 months. I have to admit, I think your teeth look amazing and beautiful and your smile is perfect, but I'm sure you hear that all the time. My teeth did not look too crooked before braces, but my bad bite and jaw problems have been causing me to suffer from frequent migraines, so I finally decided to get braces. I don't think it matters what kind of braces you get. In fact, (I'm not sure) I think the ceramic ones are bigger, but might not rub and poke as much on the inside of your mouth. I got all metal braces, as they were the cheapest, and I thought they'd look good, but they are super sharp. I'm constantly getting poked and cut and lacerated from them, floss gets shredded, and even licking them can cut my tongue. I feel like that shouldn't be happening so many months into treatment, but I use silicone almost every day. So, I guess you've already decided what to do. Good luck with everything. Having braces isn't so bad, but everyone is different. My teeth are rarely sore and I can eat nearly everything, but the inside of my mouth always hurts from the cuts and poking hooks. Sorry so long. :-Z

RedDress

#9 Post by RedDress »

I d go with metal braces. they are shiny and cute especially if you use different color elastics like purple and blue and so on and the stains would not show on those colors. clear braces do not look all that better. I heard somebody saying that they actually look like ugly deformed teeth. I had clear bottom and upper myself. But if I could choose now I would have taken the metal.

GRILLZ

#10 Post by GRILLZ »

RedDress wrote:I d go with metal braces. they are shiny and cute especially if you use different color elastics like purple and blue and so on and the stains would not show on those colors. clear braces do not look all that better. I heard somebody saying that they actually look like ugly deformed teeth. I had clear bottom and upper myself. But if I could choose now I would have taken the metal.
i have decided to go w/ metal for a number of reason, i asked my ortho if the clear worked as well as the metal, and she said 'yes' but that the clear were more fragile. i decided that i wanted the sturdiest appliances i could get, and i also felt that the clear looked like you had something wrong w/ your teeth....i decided that if i was going to have braces, i didn't want there to be any doubt about it.....i'm going to go for the brightly colored rubber bands too. my braces date is 1.10.11.....almost the same as yours......best of luck to both of us..... :tingrin:

kgstar

#11 Post by kgstar »

sadpanda wrote:Hi -

I suppose I'm a little bit confused about how not having a tooth in a space made you need braces. I had a similar problem. I couldn't afford a root canal and got a filling, but the problem wasn't solved and it was extremely painful. The tooth was pulled eventually, leaving a huge gap. Years later, (when I was 29) I went to some orthos who all recommended that I get upper and lower braces, but they were for a huge overbite that I'd always had, an overjet, mild crowding, spacing issues, a midline problem, and TMJ on the right side. None of it had to do with the molar being pulled. In fact, the ortho said that it would take too long to close the gap and I'd be in braces for over 2 years just to close it. So, I will always have a large gap where I lost the tooth. As for jaw issues, the ortho said that the alignment might get a little better, but that braces cannot cure the problem. He said to hold off on surgery until I'm in unbearable pain. I'm definitely ok for now. I also clench/grind my teeth and have read that it's involuntary and you can't really stop it from happening. Anyway, I turned 30 with braces and I've had them for nearly 5 months. I have to admit, I think your teeth look amazing and beautiful and your smile is perfect, but I'm sure you hear that all the time. My teeth did not look too crooked before braces, but my bad bite and jaw problems have been causing me to suffer from frequent migraines, so I finally decided to get braces. I don't think it matters what kind of braces you get. In fact, (I'm not sure) I think the ceramic ones are bigger, but might not rub and poke as much on the inside of your mouth. I got all metal braces, as they were the cheapest, and I thought they'd look good, but they are super sharp. I'm constantly getting poked and cut and lacerated from them, floss gets shredded, and even licking them can cut my tongue. I feel like that shouldn't be happening so many months into treatment, but I use silicone almost every day. So, I guess you've already decided what to do. Good luck with everything. Having braces isn't so bad, but everyone is different. My teeth are rarely sore and I can eat nearly everything, but the inside of my mouth always hurts from the cuts and poking hooks. Sorry so long. :-Z
Thanks for the compliment! :) To clarify some things, the tooth I am missing is a lower molar which has caused my bottom teeth to shift and one has even laid down into the gap since nothing is holding it up and the top molar to fall down into the whole that is there. So braces will push my tooth back up and in line with my other teeth. The rubber bands will also help straighten out the teeth that have laid down into the hole. My front lower teeth have bunched up and are now pushing out one of my front teeth which hurts a lot. And although the picture isnt very clear my canines stick out like vampire teeth, which I dont mind too much but looking at my xrays from all my dental visits my teeth have been shifting a drastically in short periods of time which was the initial concern. Most of the problems are on my right side as well and I too suffer from constant headaches and migraines.
I have gotten different answers to my TMJ, some say its stress, others say its just that my teeth are malaligned and its simply that my jaw cannot rest in its normal spot because the teeth hit. Either way I know that this all started when i noticed my teeth shifting so hopefully it is due to malalignment and braces fixes it.

My dentist is not charging more for clear or metal so I have the choice, yet only the top ones will be white. I guess I can try to change my question to "has anyone gotten ceramic braces and hated them? And has anyone who has had BOTH like one better than the other?" :?:

Here I am Christmas morning at 2am lockjawed with stress of making the wrong choice and not being able to do anything about it for 2+ years!! I cant see myself in all metal but then again if the ceramic will be worse looking and keep me from eating a lot of things (I cant afford to lose any more weight!) then it makes this decision really difficult :Questions: . I feel like no matter what I wont open my big o mouth like I normally do especially if the braces are abrasive and or I have mouth sores. :ThumbsDown:

and its not too long, I appreciate the fact that you read my post and took the time to ask the questions and provide your input :-**

merry Christmas! :D
KgStar

29 y.o.

kgstar

#12 Post by kgstar »

GRILLZ wrote:
RedDress wrote:I d go with metal braces. they are shiny and cute especially if you use different color elastics like purple and blue and so on and the stains would not show on those colors. clear braces do not look all that better. I heard somebody saying that they actually look like ugly deformed teeth. I had clear bottom and upper myself. But if I could choose now I would have taken the metal.
i have decided to go w/ metal for a number of reason, i asked my ortho if the clear worked as well as the metal, and she said 'yes' but that the clear were more fragile. i decided that i wanted the sturdiest appliances i could get, and i also felt that the clear looked like you had something wrong w/ your teeth....i decided that if i was going to have braces, i didn't want there to be any doubt about it.....i'm going to go for the brightly colored rubber bands too. my braces date is 1.10.11.....almost the same as yours......best of luck to both of us..... :tingrin:

The metal braces that my dentist is providing are the Damon ones, no rubber bands, smaller and I think they are smoother. Yes, the clear are bigger but less visible from far away, yet i hear that a lot, that they look like theres is something wrong with your teeth.
My sister and husband keep telling me that going without orange, purple soda and coolaid will be hard for that long. Then I am Mexican so we eat a lot of red hot sauces in almost all our food so I am worried that eating my normal everyday foods will be staining the bands and have them look worse than I picture metal braces being!

I am so glad I found this forum. I am glad that even if may not get the answer I am looking for that I can at least get to vent and get other people's experiences and suggestions.
Everyone is telling me I am making a big deal about it but I dont want to make the wrong decision and be miserable for the 2+ years I will have them on, cause once I decide and they get put on....thats it! no going back until they get taken off.
:?
KgStar

29 y.o.

trampswife

#13 Post by trampswife »

I don' t have an answer for you, but did want to say yay to you for making the decision to get braced. We have the same brace day. I'm going with metal,. I'm all excited for the different colored bands. Having the ligs different colors would negate the purpose of the ceramics, I think. I don't really care, though, if people see my braces. I work in a bank in a small town, so EVERYBODY will see me up close and personal.

I really wish I was thin enough to have to worry about losing more weight. lol No such luck. Those days are long gone for me.

I can't wait to read about your bracing experience. :) Party on!! :rawk: Don't sweat the small stuff. You, with the help of your othro, will make the right decision for you, no doubt about it.

plugnickel69

#14 Post by plugnickel69 »

I'm also going through the thought process of which brackets to get. Invisalign was not an option for my case. Linguals were $4500 more and not worth it. I originally thought that metals would complement my gray hair, but the ceramics they showed me at the consult (Clarity) looked like a good choice (upper six only) though they were $360 more, and pretty much invisible. I believe that it makes no sense to choose ceramics because they're less visible, then go with colored ligs, unless you're making a fashion statement, which is fine with me. Of course I'm an older male professional and have no desire to go with colored ligs.

From the people I've talked to, we overly obsess about our teeth and how others will react. Truth is, others don't really care. As I look around, there are more people that need braces more than I, and there are many out there that want braces but don't have the will or the resources to take the plunge.

I know it's easier to give others advice, but if it makes you feel any better, this is not a life threatening decision. If you're worried about staining, go with the metals and be done with it. No matter the choice, there are more out there that will envy you for making the decision to get braces than those who question why you got metal rather than ceramics.

Best wishes with your endeavor. Hope this helped!

kgstar

#15 Post by kgstar »

trampswife wrote:I don' t have an answer for you, but did want to say yay to you for making the decision to get braced. We have the same brace day. I'm going with metal,. I'm all excited for the different colored bands. Having the ligs different colors would negate the purpose of the ceramics, I think. I don't really care, though, if people see my braces. I work in a bank in a small town, so EVERYBODY will see me up close and personal.

I really wish I was thin enough to have to worry about losing more weight. lol No such luck. Those days are long gone for me.

I can't wait to read about your bracing experience. :) Party on!! :rawk: Don't sweat the small stuff. You, with the help of your othro, will make the right decision for you, no doubt about it.
WOW! the same day? cool :) I will keep an eye out for your posts, cant wait to see them. Sadly I am either going to get the damon brackets that dont use the rubber bands (which is fine with me) or the ceramic tops. I am just so worried about them staining or making my teeth look weird. My ortho, just tells me either one would be great and that its up to me. The treatment time will be the same.

I dont think I will be able to decide until i am in the chair. What if I cant decide by then either and I have to reschedule?? I am such a panic freak!! sorry
KgStar

29 y.o.