Ellebraced is getting braced- PICS !!!!!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ellebraced

Ellebraced is getting braced- PICS !!!!!

#1 Post by Ellebraced »

Hi everyone

My name is Elle. I am 32 getting braced for the 2nd time December 16th, 2010.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers, will have forsus springs for a lot of treatment to correct severe overbite.

History
- I was a thumbsucker until I around 10 and then I got a retainer for awhile to correct overbite (I don't recall how well that worked)
- Had braces for up to 2 years, removed when I was 13. I think I wore my retainers until around 20ish (my husband said I was wearing them at night still when I met)
- For some STUPID reason I stopped wearing retainers and now I have a severe overbite and need braces again
- I have very healthy teeth and gums, a bit of recession. Wisdom teeth out when I was 18. Some fillings over the years but I was mostly always gone for cleanings every 6 months
- I don't really like dentist (sorry if I am offending anyone) My dentist hung himself in his office when I was maybe 12 and it has always bothered me.
- Always had good dental insurance until the last couple years. Now I have nothing. Always felt that my dentist were trying to rip off the insurance companies and doing anything they had to to get that extra $$$ even when I was only looking for a cleaning.
- Had some really really bad dentists over the years, I really despise going to the dentist. Just feel like they are going to mess something up. Do a bad filling or ???

Why I am getting braces !!!
- My upper front tooth really sticks out and it bothers me.
- I try to not be a vain person and accept my flaws and imperfections but somethings just bother me like my teeth
- I can not close my mouth It takes A LOT of effort. I know weird but it sucks. Because my teeth jet out and the overbite I feel more comfortable having mouth slightly opening that looks really silly
- In close up pictures you can see my big smile has a wonky tooth, makes me not want to smile
- My GRANDMA. She is 95 years old, lives on her own, she is a real sweetie BUT she has made a couple comments ...... (sorry for the details but its my story of how I got here)
She said to me infront of my closest 20 family members at a family reunion during lunch (EVERYBODY HEARD)
"What did you do to your teeth? Why are they so crooked? You did something? Your tooth sticks out, it looks bad?? "
I WAS MORTIFIED, I was so hurt, even typing this makes me cry. I tried to forget about it but did ask my last dentist and started the process of getting moulds, pics, and then he messed up husbands teeth with a lot of bad filing and filling and I stopped going to him. Then money and life was hard the last couple years
My Grandma over the last 2 years has made little comments like your lower lip sticks out, its swollen and then during a nice day shopping (October 2010) with my mother and her while I was visiting she was looking at me really funny, like something was really really ugly and with such disgust. I was trying on a top and I said to her Whats wrong GRAMS??? Thinking she didn't like the shirt and she goes...YOUR TEETH??? My mother told her to shut up and stop ruining our fun day shopping. A few minutes later after trying to make myself not cry my eyes out in the middle of the store. I said to her... Grandma my teeth are bad because I didn't wear my retainers and it is very expensive to fix and I do not have the money. She says they are very crooked and thinks ...... that my husband beats me and thats why they are crooked!!! OMG I was hurt, I am married to the most amazing supportive, kindest man in the whole world that would never lay a hand on me. He loves me and respects me. My grandma said she knows but is old and confused and didn't mean to hurt me but would want someone to tell me the truth.

Sorry for the long explanation but I am a little bit sensitive and thats how I got here. I guess honesty hurts sometimes and I always knew my teeth could use some improving.

-So after those comments in October 2010, I decided no more waiting, I asked my dentist who to go to (my Aunt asked him personally and not thru the dentist office) and he said he would not trust anyone in our town but the town over (35 minutes away). So the process started.

THE ORTHO PLAN

-I always thought this would be an EASY process, a short easy fix because I didn't realize my teeth were THAT bad and didn't think they could fix my overbite if they didn't 20 years ago ( I was told by a dentist years ago that I had tongue thrust and could never fix my bite without fixing that, my current ortho does not think that this is a problem though)
-The truth, this is NOT an easy or cheap process
-I thought I would have invisigln and that it would take under a year........NOPE
-It is very important to me to have this as not noticeable as possible. I can get very shy and do not like to live the house on the best of days
- My husband is a couple (okay more than a couple......... more than 10....okay 13.5 technically) years older than me. It is just not an issue, never has been but in the world it can be looked upon (hey I look at couples with an age difference and think things) as bad or confusing. In the past 13 years together I know of 3 times he has been mistaken as my father and not my husband Oh well what are you going to do. I guess its not "normal" to have an age difference so large and I do look young and am afraid how young I will look with braces soooooo I have decided to look at this as a funny thing. I will now be starting what I will refer to as the COUNT
How many times my husband gets mistaken as my father- Pre-braces -3 Braces -0 (not on yet, 2 more days so I am sure that # will increase)

I would LOVE any suggestions as to what I can say back to people that will be funny and cute and make this situation not so uncomfortable for all parties involved. So please let me know what you think I should say back to people that say something!!!

okay back to the plan........

- CERAMIC uppers
- Metal lowers
- Forsus springs to fix the overbite
- 2+ years
- About $7,000 for the treatment, lower permanent retainer, upper retainer, 2 year follow up
- I have NO insurance
- Was told have smaller lower jaw, grew upwards ??? , anyway surgery was recommended but for $3,000 I decided no and don't have the $$. I don't like to go for surgery any more than I have to

My concerns
- Looking funny - that people are going to point at me and laugh (ok I know this is NOT going to happen but it might)
- looking like a teenager
- Pain (kind of but not really, I have endometriosis which is a VERY painful disease, I take painkillers every 4 hours for a few days each month just to survive the pain, which gets so bad I throw up and am not able to leave the house for days. I have had 2 surgeries to remove the growths with no success)
- EATING- I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE crunchy hard foods, I eat popcorn, apples, nuts, granola bars and something crunchy every meal I have. I have had spacers for a week and I thought I might hurt someone I was sooooo hungry from not having enough to eat.
-$$$ I am REALLY REALLY cheap, I don't mean to be but I was raised to be obsessed with money and numbers and its hard to let that go. I married a man who could care less about $$$ and so it's a good balance. I try to not focus on the $$ but the outcome
-That I am going to do all this and that after treatment even with retainers my overbite will come back

How I am getting ready for this journey
-Found this website and bracesreview
-Reading everyones blogs and comments and feeling supported and hopeful
-Got a waterpik and new oral b professional toothbrush, lots of toothpaste, mouthwash
-Got lots of soups and soft snacks ready
-Have a very supportive husband that loves me no matter what
-Trying to stay positive and realize 2 years will go by fast and it will be worth it
-Think this might be the best or worst diet ever......... no more crunchy foods so found horrible popcorn twists to satisfy crunchy food craving
-Spacers in for a week, on pain scale of 1-10 only like a 2, more annoying than pain, hard to chew, lots of advil first couple days, more anxiety than anything
-Drinking..... I know but my nerves are getting to me, anxiety attacks and snappy and Christmas stuff isnt helping. I will have to do a cleanse in the New Year

My Outcome hopes
- That my upper tooth will move back and look normal
- That I will be able to close my mouth
- That I will be able to wear lipstick without it coming off on my teeth
- That my Grandma (who does love me dearly and has been a very important person in my life) will stop making comments
- That I can stop being so sensitive
- That it will be worth it and I can be proud to smile again
- That it will not leave that big of a dent in my bank account and I will not even notice the $150 monthly payments for the next 2.5 years (probably will be good cause I won't eat out and can not eat my favorite crunchy foods)

Thank you to everyone on these websites for helping me make this decision and for sharing your comments and for being supportive and helpful. It makes this experience less scary.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE taking pictures so will be updating on a regular basis.

If anyone can help with suggestions on what to say to people that confuse my husband for my father or what crunchy foods I can eat would be so helpful

Elle

I have added a couple before pictures, From far away my teeth don't look too bad until you see them up close

Getting braced December 16th 2010
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

luchababe

Re: Ellebraced is getting braced- PICS !!!!!

#2 Post by luchababe »

Holy back story, Batman! That's a lot you shared there, that's very revealing and brave! Good for you!

I have, I mean HAD, a sticky outy front tooth too. Check out my photos in my thread, it's back in place! Just a few mm to go and it's not even 2 months yet! I hope yours moves just as fast since you seem very self conscious about it. I had braces once before too, same age as you, had the retainer afterwards. But my dentist never followed up on on it, so my parents forgot about it. I was so uncomfortable and I always ended up sleeping with my mouth open and it hanging off my lip I stopped wearing it. So here I am today with braces again.

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandmother's comments. My own grandmother wasn't very supportive of anything but at least she never commented on my teeth, at least not to my face. :?

As for what to say to people who comment on your braces and age, just joke "I feel like a kid again!" or "Nothing makes you feel young like braces on your teeth!"

I was pretty concerned about the cost of mine at the start too. But after reading various posts here and talking to my parents and boyfriend I realized the money always comes from somewhere. So I won't buy a new winter coat this year, I didn't really need one. Beside, isn't this what a credit line is for? :wink:

Don't freak over food. Where there's a will, and a appetite, there's a way! You make do, you compromise. Sometimes you have to go without but it won't be forever.

Keep posting those photos as you progress! I know it really helped/helps me to see the progress of other people so that's why I decided to post my own photos. I hope to help someone else.

Ellebraced

#3 Post by Ellebraced »

Thanks for the support Luchababe. I saw your 2 month progress pics and would love results like that. I am hoping for straighter teeth in 6 months :D

I am sending my Grandma a picture of me in braces for Christmas and requesting some milkshakes next time I see her in a few months. I have not told her about the braces but I will be sending the picture, she will probably be confused though :roll:

Yes, the $$ thing is so true, I will just have to spend less and watch my budget, I always feel like when I save something unexpected happens and there goes your money. Thank gosh for line of credits!!!

I hope I didn't share too much info. just feels better when people know they are not alone. Everyone has a story.

I will post pictures soon and hoping for speedy movement!!

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months

equaeternal

#4 Post by equaeternal »

Hi and welcome to the site.

I think a lot of the concerns you raise are what most people think/ go through before getting braces. Honestly I get mistaken for being younger than I am with out braces but with braces it can be funny: for example I went to the doctors the other day and the assistant took my blood pressure and said ‘how old are you now’? Which I thought was very funny because I am sure I was her age if not older and when I said my age she seemed a little taken back. Most of the time people don’t say anything and they don’t point and laugh.

I have actually made friends because of my braces. I have met a few people around my age who also just got braces and we all kind of get together and talk ‘braces’. It is nice to know you are not in this alone.

I love what you said about : That I will be able to wear lipstick without it coming off on my teeth because I had that same problem before braces
:D

Ellebraced

Re: Ellebraced is BRACED !!!!!

#5 Post by Ellebraced »

Elle is BRACED !!!!!!!! pics coming soon

Soooooo my first reaction after the Ortho had finished putting on the brackets was WOW WHAT THE HECK IS IN MY MOUTH!!!

Then I was able to rinse my mouth and look in the mirror and it was DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They call these (the uppers) clarity, ceramic braces, OMG they are not clear OMG I can see them a mile away. How the heck am I ever going to close my mouth. OMG my teeth look worse than I thought

BUT I just drove home and I am still DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE but I know it's going to take some time to get used to. I thought there is no way in heck I will even go thru the Tim Hortons drive thru now.......but I said SUCK IT UP ELLE......and I got myself a double double (All you fellow Canadians will understand if not its just a coffee 2 cream 2 sugar) . I am home I can barely put my mouth on the cup and have could use a sippy cup OH DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am wondering how long a person can go without food, would they put an IV in so I never have to eat and clean these things. Also how long a person can go without seeing another human being or leaving the house. Can I have food delivered. Maybe I will become a Ventriloquist so I do not have to show my teeth.

On the positive side, I had the SWEETEST nicest ortho lady ever, she was a chatty kathy which made the experience enjoyable. She gave me extra wax, explained everything and entertained me. All the Ortho ladies are sooooo nice, that makes the process at least easier.

So I will be adding more later, just have to skype my father now and send some embarrassing pics to my family. DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE !!!!

luchababe

#6 Post by luchababe »

OMG, your post made me laugh! DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE! :lol:

First day or two is always a shock, no denying that. But it's nice to hear they went on easy and you've got great staff to deal with.

So you're Canadian too and do the Timmy's thing? Just DON'T think about how a fresh donut is really easy to eat with sore teeth. Don't do it. Don't! No. Nuh-uh. Nope.

drgnchsr36

#7 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Awesome that you had some great staff!! I hope I'm as lucky! :)

~KMG~

#8 Post by ~KMG~ »

Congrats Elle!

OMG...you are cracking me up! So, what I have learned is that I should bring a double double shot of tequila, with a sipping straw, when I get mine put on next month!! LOL!

Can't wait to see those pics!

34 year old first-timer- 24 month sentence
1/3/11- braced (Innovation-C's on uppers and lowers)
5/2/11- impacted canine exposed- 1st time
6/9/11- impacted canine re-exposed and chain re-attached
3/1/12- impacted canine re-exposed and chain re-attached- 3rd time's a charm!

Ellebraced

Re: Ellebraced is BRACED- PICS !!!!!

#9 Post by Ellebraced »

Thank gosh Skype was too fuzzy and my parents could not see me. So I managed to take a couple pics. I feel SOOOOO ugly, I was feeling pretty good before I got them. At least I will not be leaving the house for 2.5 years so no one is going to see anyway. I feel like I no longer have a face or a body, just a massive set of lips that can really not close now.

I managed to eat some bread (seedy bread not a good idea) with YUMMY peanut butter. So I had to brush my teeth and I got to use my waterpik for the first time. I asked Santa if I could have it early and he could leave the empty box under the tree. It was awesome, the mirror did not like it and it scared the S**T out of my cat. :lol:

If I can ever stop looking at my teeth and googling BRACES I might clean the mirror.

HOLY S**T those pictures came out BIG, I should put a warning on here, BIG UGLY TEETH LOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

I am very proud of myself I have not cried yet. 8)

Okay that's all for now, I really do have to clean the house I never knew a person could waste so much time googling BRACES and talking on here.

crazy ELLE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~KMG~

#10 Post by ~KMG~ »

We are always our own worst critics!! I think they look great!

Congrats.... you are now one giant step closer to acheiving your goal!

34 year old first-timer- 24 month sentence
1/3/11- braced (Innovation-C's on uppers and lowers)
5/2/11- impacted canine exposed- 1st time
6/9/11- impacted canine re-exposed and chain re-attached
3/1/12- impacted canine re-exposed and chain re-attached- 3rd time's a charm!

Chaplains Assistant

#11 Post by Chaplains Assistant »

Elle - they look great just take it one day at a time. It's gets better believe me. I got braced August 23rd and thought the same thing Dear god what did I do. :lol:
Sentenced to 24 months
Upper & lower Metals
Braced on 8/23/2010
Debraced 7/23/12

goin4it

#12 Post by goin4it »

Elle- OMG you are too funny.
I am glad you can still laugh at it, or at least make us laugh.
So far everything you have said is what I expect to happen to me, but others say it doesnt happen that way.
All Liars!! :huh: I knew it (lol) You keep it real girl I dont want it sugar coated. I want the facts. How do you really feel dont hold back on us. :BigGrin:

I agree you cant beat Timmy's (Im in Toronto) I I use to love my XL DD's but had to give it up recently as I was over 3 a day and Doctor said it had to go.
I dont know what to do for comfort when I get mine on, but tequilla is sounding good right now.
Keep us posted. You are doing great!!

Ellebraced

#13 Post by Ellebraced »

Hi guys

Just talked to my Grams. She is very happy for me and proud of me for doing this. She said no more birthday or christmas gifts for her for the next 2.5 years and that I should put the money towards my braces. LOL.

I am still doing good, I decided to try some wax for fun. It actually feels really good. I still have not cleaned my house or got off the computer.....

Hello my name is Elle...... My braces have made me an alcoholic , a computer addict, an obsessive googler of BRACES, a chat room addict, an anorexic, a pain pill popper, a hermit, a Ventriloquist, a baby (sippy cup), a crazy person (I am talking to my cats more), a little bit grumpy from not eating, a cry baby, a person without a face or body (just lips and teeth and braces), .............. I could be here all night but I have to go make another drink. Tequila sounds good........maybe a frozen margarita I have had too many vodka and diet cokes this week.

I lasted 7.3 hours without crying, a little bit of tears when I talked to my Grams :oops:

goin4it

#14 Post by goin4it »

What's the urgency on cleaning the house.....its not like you are having company anytime soon so it can wait. Have another shot. :wink:

I think 7.3 is a great accomplishment based on all the other stuff you have goin on :-** > Gram doesnt count as they can get us at the best of times.

petal

#15 Post by petal »

Thank you for sharing your story. Reading it made me cry then laugh. Your sense of humor will serve you well! I think your teeth will be beautiful, they are already so white. I did not feel like myself at first, now I find myself smiling at everyone I see. I am proud to show off my braces, because it is something I am doing for myself. I hope you will also find yourself sharing your smile with everyone you meet. I look forward to following you story. You should be very proud of taking this step!!