Braces at 31; chocolate's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chocomorsel

Re: Braces at 31; chocolate's story

#16 Post by chocomorsel »

So after getting my teeth pulled I have now developed a "dry socket". My dentist tells me it's from losing the blood clot that plugged up the hole and now bone is exposed to air and there's inflammation and pain with it. I am popping NSAIDS and starting to worry that I will soon be getting ulcers. I'm also on antibiotics. Lucky me.

I was overzealous in going to a Chinese buffet though the day my teeth were extracted because I was in no pain. But I did notice that the clot on the left side was much smaller than the right when I was done stuffing my face and I do remember food hitting that area with some sharp pain twice. I have no idea when it's gonna heal and not hurt anymore. Just hope it stops being irritated before my next ortho appt in 9 days.

Oh and last time I ended up in the ER with some serious constipation from 3 Lortabs. Thought I had a bowel obstruction the pain was so bad. Lucky friggin' me. What we do for beauty.

chocomorsel

#17 Post by chocomorsel »

Just read up on some more. I am on birth control and I was drinking through a straw which I wasn't warned about from my dentist. But then again, I didn't read the little instructions either. Both of these increase chances of a dry socket by delaying wound healing and dislodging the clot from negative pressure. I am packing it with cotton and antibiotic ointment. Gonna get some clove oil see if that helps.

opera^gal

#18 Post by opera^gal »

I had a dry socket after a wisdom tooth extraction. My dentist at the time had me keep the socket super clean with plenty of antiseptic rinsing.
As far as the lower GI issues from Lortab, drink plenty of apple juice to help prevent further complications. A dose of Miralax if the juice doesn't help, should get things moving toot-suite.
2/2/09: metal braces T/B
8/20/10: braced removed (18mons, 18days), hawley retainers T/B
9/16/10: LR central incisor extracted (failed root canal)
2/23/11: implant/bone graft
9/15/11: implant crown placed, lower lingual bonding corrected
9/21/11: upper bonding on lateral gaps from upper arch forward advancement
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

chocomorsel

#19 Post by chocomorsel »

So it's now almost nine months and I am frustrated. I have all these gaps in my mouth, and my overjet has only been corrected something like 10%. Very minimal movement. I am just frustrated at these previous 6-7 months that have been wasted trying to IPR the bottoms, therefore having to wait to push the uppers back instead of extracting four teeth from the beginning.

Clearly my orthodontist did not understand when I said to him "my teeth stick too far out" that I wanted everything pushed back, and not just the tops. WTH? I guess I didn't tell him that I wanted a flatter profile, which I swear I have told every orthodontist I have visited in the past 10-12 years. And they all except one recommended extractions, hence the long wait before the plunge. He thought it was just the flair that was bothering me. I don't understand that because if you look at my xrays, you can definitely see the protrusion on both upper and lower jaw with my lips almost in front of my nose.

I read a study on pubmed that when white orthodontists where compared to black orthodontists in treating bimaxillary protrusion in blacks, the white orthodontists wanted a fuller lip profile while the black orthos wanted flatter profiles. I feel like this is what's happened to me and my ortho thought that since bimax protrusion is much more common in blacks, then it's a common variation therefore didn't need to be fixed. He even said I would look funny if I pushed my mouth back. I obviously felt otherwise, I mean that's the reason I got these things in my mouth to begin with.

News flash, no one looks good with teeth pushed out and with lips that have a difficult time closing due to strain. Damn, I'm upset. I will be moving in 14 months and I am afraid that I won't be done in time. Who wants to change orthos or fly back and forth?

Ok, thanks for letting me vent. Maybe now that there's a lot of room at the bottom the movement will happen quickly.

Lesson here: Spell everything out for your ortho. Write it down if you need to and make sure he/she understands from the beginning. If lots and lots of orthos are recommending extractions, they are probably on to something.

chocomorsel

#20 Post by chocomorsel »

So here are some updates at 11 months. Finally coming along. One more year and these things will be off. Gotta be patient. Now I am having gaps develop between the molars now that teeth are moving forward. Food loves getting stuck in there.

These are are at 5 months

These are at 11 months

kmluvgod

#21 Post by kmluvgod »

Great progress thus far. I know exactly what you mean about the fuller lip ordeal

diegorgeous

#22 Post by diegorgeous »

Have you noticed a big change in your profile?? I have the exact same problem. I think its common with a lot of African Americans. ANyways i got all 4 first premolars taken out at the start of treatment, and i'm 4 months in now. Next month he said he'll start closing the gaps and bringing things back. This is the part i've been waiting for, cause that's my main problem.
I know people who had the exact same problem (maxilliary protrusion) and had 2 or 4 premolars taken out and their before and after profiles are soo different. They all look so much better after!! The difference is amazing. So i'm really looking forward to seeing some changes.

chocomorsel

#23 Post by chocomorsel »

I can't say that it's a BIG difference yet, but definitely a difference. My bottom lip already looks smaller which I LOVE although the top one is still the same.

My profile is starting to look less full/pushed out lips and I am very excited. We still haven't finished pulling the top teeth back so I do expect more of a change as I still have about 4-5 mm of to go.

I think and hope we will be done pulling things back in the next 3 months then continue with the gap closure/bite issues. It's a process that requires much patience.

chocomorsel

#24 Post by chocomorsel »

Today is my one year anniversary. Wohoo!! I am excited about the changes so far and hope we stay on track and finish in the next 11 months. I will be in a different state this time next year so hopefully there are no delays.

My right lower gap is almost closed, probably has 4-5mm to go while on the left still is like twice as big. The top gaps are still there as we haven't started closing them yet and my bite still needs to come back a little and up as it's deep. Surprisingly enough when I asked my ortho last week about my deep bite and the fact that brackets are soon going to start hitting each other he didn't give me bite turbos/molar buildups like I anticipated. Instead he made a steeper angle on my closing loops to bring the top teeth up more. So far the gaps on between my k9's and then lateral incisors are still there and haven't changed yet.

If nothing has changed by my next appt I will ask for the buildups or turbos.

But so far, since the bottom extractions my progress has been great and I am quite happy.

Will try and post pics on Sunday when I am off.

chocomorsel

#25 Post by chocomorsel »

Comparison pics at month 11 and month 12. Think I see a slight change, or maybe I am imagining it. Wish I could take nice pics like some of you people on here.

chocomorsel

#26 Post by chocomorsel »

Comparison pics of upper arch from 6 months or so and 12 months

TinkB

#27 Post by TinkB »

It's great to see all the progress you have made in closing your extraction gaps. It definitely gives me hope for my 4 extraction gaps. :D

Your teeth look awesome!
Metal brackets & 4 bands on May 12, 2011
4 Premolars Extracted on May 20, 2011
Fully braced on May 25, 2011
My sentence - 24 to 30 months

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39348

chocomorsel

#28 Post by chocomorsel »

Thanks. The top ones are actually taking longer to close than the bottoms which look really good even better. You can see them with the link at imageshack.

diegorgeous

#29 Post by diegorgeous »

Hi,
Hows it going?? How are the extraction gaps coming along?? I have your exact problem, and i'm in the process of closing gaps. I've got power chains + elastics going from canine to first molar on both sides :D

How is your profile looking?? big change??

chocolate1978

#30 Post by chocolate1978 »

Hey Diegeorgeous,
Yes I have now noticed a significant profile change that I am very happy with. I will post pics soon. I had to change my username and password due to come computer glitch, and have been unsuccessfully trying to log in off and on for the past 2 months. Sorry for the long delay.

The one thing that I am unhappy about is the thinning of my face. I have developed a little bit of a long face and hopefully that is just temporary. It's most likely from the extraction of teeth. Otherwise everything is good and I have 7 months left. I will be moving away from here so I have been reminding my ortho about that from day one and we have been doing 3-4 week appts from the beginning and now will be solely every 3 weeks since we are in the refining phase.

Anyway, will post pics tomorrow. How are things going with you?