Braces at 31; chocolate's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chocomorsel

Braces at 31; chocolate's story

#1 Post by chocomorsel »

So here we are 4 months later.

I knew I needed braces when I was 18-19 after someone in basic training made me aware of my overbite/overjet. He said "Your teeth stick out so far they hit your knee caps when you are sitting" or something to that effect. Prior to that, I had been totally oblivious of my overbite issues. Only thing that bothered me was one of my front upper teeth was shorter than the other and that I would take care of it as soon as I was able as an adult. I had never been to the dentist prior to that, as we where kinda poor growing up so never got my teeth cleaned till I was in the military at 18. Had lots of plaque that required two deep cleans but not cavities thank Goodness. I don't have much of a sweet tooth and eat pretty healthily.

So anyway, when I came back home at 19, got the longer front tooth filed at the dentist who told me I had beautiful teeth. People always told me that, and to be honest they were quite nice except for the overbite/overjet issue. Anyway, I then followed up with three different orthos who all told me that I needed to have 4 extractions in order to correct my problems. I said heck now, I had already had my wisdoms out and just thought that if I had less than 28 teeth in my mouth it would be rather weird. Plus my family didn't think there was anything wrong with my teeth. Anyway, over the years I kept regular dental appts and many of the different dentists I say thought I my teeth were fine and I didn't need orthodontics. At 25, I had a good job with good insurance and should have gotten them because a friend of mine had, but was too vain. I was too much into going out and looking good that I couldn't handle a metal mouth.

Two years later at 27, while in grad school I went to an ortho who thought he could work with me without extractions. Should have commenced treatment then, but was vain and attempted to go with clear aligners instead. Went to a dentist, got quoted $5200 for Orthoclears. Did 3 months of that, saw mild movement but the company went under after a lawsuit from Invisalign for stealing their ideas. Could have continued with invisalign but that would have taken months to continue treatment, plus I didn't like the dentist doing my treatment. He was not an ortho, but a cosmetic dentist who'd likely done a weekend course in clear aligners and now was making money. He was very dismissive of my concerns and quite frankly, rather rude. So I ditched the treatment and lost out on $1100.

Fast forward 4 years later at 31 finally got braced. Went to three different orthos. The one that I really liked, I couldn't afford her down payment, but she was interested in fitting me first before an attempt at pulling out any teeth and down the line if teeth needed to be pulled, then we would. But with a down of $2K, I went to the next very popular ortho in town who talked about pulling 2 premolars on the top only and IPR on the bottom. The last one had the weirdest and wanted to pull out 4 teeth and she was the most expensive. So here we are 4 months later and so far, I'm happy with what's happening. Should have done this ages ago but was really worried about pulling out perfectly healthy teeth so I waited over 10 yrs.

Let me figure out how to post pics and we shall be on the way.

chocomorsel

Re: Braces at 31; chocolate's story

#2 Post by chocomorsel »

Ok, I think I have the pics. Let's see if it works.

[URL=http://img98.imageshack.us/i/teethn.jpg/][IMG]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/430/teethn.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

chocomorsel

#3 Post by chocomorsel »

chocomorsel

#4 Post by chocomorsel »

Ok, so I clearly don't know how to post pics. Read the directions but not getting anywhere. How's it done? I'm not that savvy with computers.

chocomorsel

#5 Post by chocomorsel »

Hot damn, I figured it out. Thanks for the help guys. :lol:

catgyrl

#6 Post by catgyrl »

Wow!! Although your top and bottom arches look so much better than mine did when I started, your front and side views are almost identical to mine! I thought I was looking into a mirror...except you're chocolate and I'm vanilla. :-* Click on the "www" in my signature and it's the first pic in my first post.

You will have no problems getting that overjet taken care of. Mine has been reduced significantly in only 8 months. Lots more work to be done for me, though. Which ortho did you end up with? How many extractions are you getting, if any?

Good luck to you!
Cathy

chocomorsel

#7 Post by chocomorsel »

I have actually read your page before and you reminded me of myself. I ended up with the 2nd ortho who ended up pulling the first premolars on the top arch only. I got IPR done on the bottom as he said they were already way far back to begin with. So far so good although I am a little worried that the end result may not be as drastic as I want it to be due to no extractions at the bottom. As you can see, unlike you I have really full lips to begin with and wanted them a little smaller looking although I don't want a flat looking profile either. But I should really start to see the results in the next 2-3 months. I got braced on July 29th so now starting on month #5. Gotta buy a higher pixel camera because the progress pics I take now are soo fuzzy. Camera is like 5 years old.

chocomorsel

#8 Post by chocomorsel »

Just came back from my 5th adjustment. They changed me from round wires to square wires on both top and bottom. And surprise, surprise, rubber band time is here. Yep, just got them today. Was told to wear them 24/7 and change out the strength in 4-7 days. My orthodontist said that I wouldn't be able to even bite into soup. He was a brace wearer himself as a kid and adult. Yeah, gonna have my last good meal soon as I finish updating this. Then it's on to mush for the next 4 days. Oh lord, long as I am able to eat and drink well next weekend for new years I will be OK. I will change the rubber bands out after the new year celebration. Will provide y'all with pics then from my cousin's fancy phone as mine can't take up close pics that aren't blurry. Oh, and I got this funky bend in my wire too on the top with an open rectangle in it. Let me hunt for my naproxen.

Choco

chocomorsel

#9 Post by chocomorsel »

Thought I would try with my old camera to do some updated pics.
Before

Today at almost 6 months:

Wish I knew how to put the actual pics up instead of the smaller linked version. And how to place them side by side. Not that computer savvy. Anyway, I am noticing some difference in my overjet. My bottom teeth are now almost straight up and down, and the top are starting to come in slowly but surely.

lilone

#10 Post by lilone »

Wow, you had pretty much perfect arches to begin with so I think your treatment shouldn't be too long! Lucky you! Although you had a little flare, I don't think it was very dramatic and your teeth were perfectly straight right from the start. You will notice big changes very quickly, I suspect.

chocomorsel

#11 Post by chocomorsel »

Thanks. I was looking at some pics before braces and I do miss my non braced smile. I did frequently get compliments on my smile before, but now I bet it will be even better. To be honest, many people told me not to waste my money, but my flare did bother me a bit. Enough to shell out $5600 big ones. We shall see what happens. I have a feeling I will be done by 18 months, but ortho estimated about 24 months. We shall see.

chocomorsel

#12 Post by chocomorsel »

Ok, just bought a new camera that takes nice pics up close. Now gonna be seriously taking monthly pics (if not more) and posting them up. Can't wait. Got an adjustment coming up in a week on my 6 month mark. Woo hoo, I have a feeling I will be getting stronger elastics.

chocomorsel

#13 Post by chocomorsel »

Ok, so after 7 months and lateral x-rays that look pretty much the same, I spoke with my ortho, told him I wanted more dramatic results. He stated that we are pretty much done pulling the bottom teeth back with the amount of room created by IPR so my protrusion is not going to change, although my overjet will be better.

So we've decided to pull out the bottom 1st premolars as well. Sucks, but for the results I want, this is going to be the best way. Hopefully then my lips and profile will get a little flatter. I could use smaller lips for sure. Just want my nose to stick out ahead of my mouth, which is not what it's like at the moment. No guarantees though as the soft tissue may not cooperate, but we'll see.

Just having a hard time wrapping my head around having just 24 teeth in my mouth. Anyway, getting them out tomorrow.

catgyrl

#14 Post by catgyrl »

Good luck with your extractions! Seriously, though, you already have a beautiful smile (if my teeth looked like yours do now, I never would've gotten braces), and I don't think you're going to miss those two bottom premolars a bit. It looks like your upper gaps closed up quite quickly, too (unlike mine).

Your smile reminds me of Fantasia Barrino's (that's a GOOD thing... I thought her smile was lovely with and without her braces.) :D

-Cathy

chocomorsel

#15 Post by chocomorsel »

Thanks Cathy,
Just got back from getting them pulled. Not as bad as the first time and was much quicker. I wasn't as anxious either because i knew what to expect. But the numbness hasn't worn off yet. Popped in some naproxen and choked on the OJ. Note to self, don't attempt to swallow when you can't feel your tongue. Could have ended up in the ER with a tablet down my airway. Anyway, we'll see how the rest of the day goes. Supposed to be at work tomorrow.

As for Fantasia, I thought she had quite a bit of protrusion, as so do I. That is obviously why I am choosing to fix it and she chose to fix hers. I will post up my x-rays soon from the side and the you all can see what I am talking about.

Anyway, hoping for a big difference in the next 6 months and can't wait.