Another braces story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

luchababe

Re: Another braces story

#166 Post by luchababe »

Ortho visit today and I have to be honest and say I'm slightly devastated. I got fresh powerchains put on and now have to wear elastics on both sides (back molar to top canine) all day, then those damn ones in the triangle at the front of my teeth at night. Those ones hurt so bad. But I'm sad because I allowed myself to hope I might get them off in August, in time to go to a baby shower (where old public school and high school friends who I haven't seen in 20 years will be at :? ) and the big FanExpo in Toronto where I'll have a table and be talking for 4 days to strangers. But no, next visit will be the lingual retainer being put on and maybe after that I get them off. The front desk woman even made a mistake with my appointment. She made it in 4 weeks which is the usual but because of the time the retainer takes they only do that at a certain time of day. So when I got home there was a message from me saying they've moved my appointment to the following week. So that means extra days with everything which totally bummed me out. I've called and left a message to see if they can get me in at the 4 week mark anyway and am still waiting impatiently for a return call about it. So now I get to talk for 4 days straight with braces AND salivate over the lingual bar which will go on 3 days before the big convention. So no, I'm not happy. I know things could be worse, and others have it worse off that me right now, but this was something I let myself get a bit excited about only to be disappointed. I think I'm allowed to feel a little selfish and sorry for myself right now.

TheTeethMan

#167 Post by TheTeethMan »

Hi there!

Great job with your thread here...

I can see the I have more or less the same "problem" as you had. Crowding of the upper front teeth with one of them sticking out and bottom front teeth crowding. So I am currently getting my arches widened with a palate braces (loose, so I can take it out, but I only do that when brushing) to make room for moving the upper front teeth. I expect this to be done in a few months only.

I just want to ask if you ever thougth that your ortho was maybe being a bit too detailed? I mean, you have already come a long way since your initial pictures and your teeth are bound (and soon not hehe) to move in the future as well (depending on how much retaining you get and use afterwards ofc.

I mean, could you not ask him if you are done in the upper and get those removed and then "just" have the lowers done? It seems like he is nitpicking somewhat... I understand that he wants them to be perfect, but coming from something that was alot worse, maybe you are happy as they are now? (not knowing anything about your bit ofc - well, I never had a decent bit, so I am not worried at all about that, mine is purely cosmetic).

From your pictures your teeth looks excellent.

Just asking...

BraceFace2o1o

#168 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

May I first say your teeth are looking amaaaaazing!

And I don't think you're being selfish at all. I know how it feels to think you're going to get the braces off, get all excited and then it's delayed and I don't even have an event to attend. I think it's perfectly normal to feel annoyed in this situation.

I hope they can fit you in earlier and you get everything sorted
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

Ellebraced

#169 Post by Ellebraced »

AWWWWWWWW Hope you are feeling better. I hate my braces so much too. I am suppose to get off aug 22 but my wire broke last week in 2 spots and they replaced and now my teeth look horrible and spacey and I sure hope its not delayed I have to wait another week to see what he can do.

I HATE MY BRACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

Ughhhhhhhh I sure hope you got your appointments figured out. Do you have a bebrace date now?? Very excited for you, your teeth look amazing!!

Elle

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

luchababe

#170 Post by luchababe »

TheTeethMan wrote:Hi there!

Great job with your thread here...

I can see the I have more or less the same "problem" as you had. Crowding of the upper front teeth with one of them sticking out and bottom front teeth crowding. So I am currently getting my arches widened with a palate braces (loose, so I can take it out, but I only do that when brushing) to make room for moving the upper front teeth. I expect this to be done in a few months only.

I just want to ask if you ever thougth that your ortho was maybe being a bit too detailed? I mean, you have already come a long way since your initial pictures and your teeth are bound (and soon not hehe) to move in the future as well (depending on how much retaining you get and use afterwards ofc.

I mean, could you not ask him if you are done in the upper and get those removed and then "just" have the lowers done? It seems like he is nitpicking somewhat... I understand that he wants them to be perfect, but coming from something that was alot worse, maybe you are happy as they are now? (not knowing anything about your bit ofc - well, I never had a decent bit, so I am not worried at all about that, mine is purely cosmetic).

From your pictures your teeth looks excellent.

Just asking...
Well, as far as I can figure out my teeth are done. The powerchains are just closing some final gaps. The trouble is my jaw and bite, hence all the elastics. Once he's happy with those two things, then I'll get them off. I'm assuming because my next appointment is to put the lingual bar on, that means I'm in the final FINAL stages. I have one bottom tooth that seems to be lower than the rest. I thought (feared) he'd be spending time lifting it up to be even with the rest but now I'm thinking that's just how long that tooth is and it can't come up any further or else it'll come out of my jaw, you know? So I'm happy with it as is. Heck, I can always pay someone to bond it so it's even if I really bothers me.

luchababe

#171 Post by luchababe »

BraceFace2o1o wrote:May I first say your teeth are looking amaaaaazing!

And I don't think you're being selfish at all. I know how it feels to think you're going to get the braces off, get all excited and then it's delayed and I don't even have an event to attend. I think it's perfectly normal to feel annoyed in this situation.

I hope they can fit you in earlier and you get everything sorted
When I talked to the office it turns out that at my usual 4 week mark the office is closed for the Civic holiday (in Canada). The next week they don't have time to fit in a lingual retainer bonding appointment. So I'm stuck going back in 6 weeks to get that done. I'm resigned myself to being a brace face for another 10 weeks or so. :cry:

luchababe

Re:

#172 Post by luchababe »

Ellebraced wrote:AWWWWWWWW Hope you are feeling better. I hate my braces so much too. I am suppose to get off aug 22 but my wire broke last week in 2 spots and they replaced and now my teeth look horrible and spacey and I sure hope its not delayed I have to wait another week to see what he can do.

I HATE MY BRACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

Ughhhhhhhh I sure hope you got your appointments figured out. Do you have a bebrace date now?? Very excited for you, your teeth look amazing!!

Elle
I'm over it. I just had to sulk for a few days. I'll get them off sooner or later. I just don't want to be teased and lead along like that again!

Jaassa

#173 Post by Jaassa »

Luchababe, I feel your pain. We must be around the same stage in our braces, nearly to the end but not as close as we keep hoping we are. :-( I keep setting myself up when I go to my braces appointments, thinking the ortho will surprise me by taking them off -- ha ha ha ha! And of course I'm always devastated when she does a few quick adjustments and sends me home with yet another package of elastics. I have just "a few more months" and I know I should be happy the end is so near, but I'm just so darn sick of these things I sometimes wonder if I can bear them another day! :-( I will -- and I know I'll be walking on air when I see the results -- but these last few months are truly torturous.

I, too, was hoping they'd be off by August for a family reunion, but no such luck. Meanwhile, I'm planning my debracing day: new outfit, dinner out, Outback Beans (those candy-covered Australian licorice treats I've been lusting after), and of course my hair will be perfectly coiffed that day and I'll have lost these last few pounds by then. :-D It's the only thing that keeps me going. Oh, and I will send myself flowers in case everyone else forgets!

luchababe

#174 Post by luchababe »

So I had this cemented in yesterday:

I thought it would be a round bar but it's actually flat with slightly corrugated edges to hold onto the cement I suppose. It felt kind of rough to start with, like having food stuck there but it's the day after now and the feeling of it is slowly going away. I have to floss by threading the floss between my teeth, and I guess I'll have to do it that way for as long as that bar is there!

I'm still in elastics. One on the left during the day and those damn upside down triangles in night. They're trying to get my midline lined up so I'll be eyeballing that in the mirror for 4 weeks until my next appointment. Why? Because my next one is booked as my debracing day! But it may not happen. I was told if my midline still isn't right, then they're not coming off yet. So I can't completely look forward to getting them off.

jem

#175 Post by jem »

Your bottom teeth look beautiful, Luchababe. Congrats ( and fingers crossed) on your forthcoming debracing.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

BraceFace2o1o

#176 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Wowee they look absolutely perfect :thumbsup:
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

bluey

#177 Post by bluey »

Thanks for this thread, your teeth look amazing! Very encouraging for a newbie looking into getting braces!

luchababe

#178 Post by luchababe »

THEY ARE OFF!!

By 12:15 pm today, they were OFF. Phew! I didn't want to hope too much in case someone's mind was changed but they came off! Pretty painless and quick. And I didn't throw up when they too the mould of my upper teeth! So that's a HUGE BONUS. They'll call next week and I can go in and get my upper retainer. I'll have to wear it all day for a month, then only at night after that.

:jump:

I feel like I have fake plastic teeth. They look so huge and LONG in the mirror.

I'm going to ask if it's safe to use some whitening strips when I go in next week. I figure a week so sensitize myself to hot and cold and to get things settled down. I was told to wait a few weeks before going in for a dental cleaning so my December appointment looks safe.

Also NO STAINING! 2-3 cups of tea of coffee a week during the fall and winter didn't wreck me! :lol:

Thanks to everyone who commented, complimented or answers questions for me in my thread!

luchababe

#179 Post by luchababe »

So first full day without braces. I've enjoyed liquorice and popcorn and a giant cup of coffee without worrying about staining around my brackets.

I'm suffering from "Where does my jaw go again?". Having been in some form of elastics for well over a year, if I think about it, I can't decide where my jaw sits. If I just forget it and concentrate on something else things seem cool.

drgnchsr36

#180 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Congrats!! I'm reading all the debrace stories!! I'll be curious about the retainers.. one of my friends said it was pretty tuff, but I'm still thinking not having braces has got to be SO nice!!