Journey to achieve my dreams!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

knottynurse

Journey to achieve my dreams!

#1 Post by knottynurse »

Hi There!

Well, tomorrow morning I go to get my braces put on!

Just by way of introduction, I'm a mom of 3, wife of a great guy, and a full-time nursing student as well. Over the past two years I've been working to recognize some dreams for myself, like getting my nursing license. It's been a ton of work, and I've learned so much about myself. I'm in my last year of nursing now, and will graduate in the spring.

My middle daughter had an ortho consult about a month ago, and while I was there the Ortho mentioned he noticed I was self-conscious about my own teeth. He asked to take a look, and I just opened up right there. He told me it was totally fixable. "Without surgery?!" I asked. I'd had an ortho consult about 10 years ago and had been told I'd need palate expansion surgery, etc. It was to be about 10,000. I didn't feel I could justify spending that much on myself. "Yes, we can get you a beautiful smile without surgery." Wow! I STILL didn't feel I could justify spending upwards of 5000 on myself... but then they mentioned it is TAX DEDUCTIBLE! Woot! All of a sudden it became more do-able. And with me being in school without a second income and with tuition to deduct as well THIS became the year to just go for it! I'll also save 10% if I pay for it all up front, and with a family discount due to my daughter's tx as well.

I'll figure out how to post some pics on here. I've been having a BLAST reading everyone's stories on here. I figure maybe my story will be an encouragement to other ladies out there who are thinking about it. Obviously you can go back to school AND fix your teeth, even if you're in your 30's (I'm 34)! :D

peacefrog

#2 Post by peacefrog »

Good luck tomorrow! I too will be getting my braces first thing tomorrow morning. :-#)

NervousNewbie

#3 Post by NervousNewbie »

Wow, sounds like you have a lot going on right now! I am also an adult in school and in braces. I was so worried about what people at work and at school would think about me, but almost two weeks in I'm kind of over it... I can't spend the next two years worrying about that sort of thing!

I'm excited to see / read about your progress! Best of luck on your new exciting journey!

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

knottynurse

#4 Post by knottynurse »

Thanks you guys!

Nervous Newbie: I'm kinda worried about what people think - but on the other hand no one seems to pay much attention anyhow. I keep hearing, "You're getting braces? Your teeth aren't thatbad."

Oh but they are. I've just perfected the "closed mouth smirk" for pictures. I hate it.
Being an adult back in school is pretty common these days. What are you taking?

Peacefrog - we can share the initial awkward stage together. :)

Braces on October 5, 2010
Estimated Tx time: 24 months

BracketRacket

#5 Post by BracketRacket »

Good luck today! What kind of braces are you getting?

WebDevGirl

#6 Post by WebDevGirl »

Another adult here that has gone back to school and getting braces on Wed.

I honestly don't think anyone worth their salt will think much and most reactions i've gotten were along the lines "GOOD JOB".

I mostly worried about my speech. I'll be getting an expander and i know that takes a little getting used to when talking. I have a meeting at work in about 2 weeks to showcase a website i build and i am -=not=- looking forward to that.

knottynurse

#7 Post by knottynurse »

Well, they're ON!

The process took about 2 hours. I have a really friendly Orthodontist, and he looks like he belongs on the cover of a GQ magazine. Ridiculously hot... just the guy you want to see you with your lips pried open and brackets holding your tongue out of the way. Not.

It wasn't as uncomfortable as I'd expected. I got to hear the girls talk about their upcoming office-wide trip to Honolulu courtesy of their employer, Dr. Hottie. I wanted to tell them "You're welcome" as I plopped down $6000 today. That's a trip to Honolulu for sure! Oh well, I just got on the train to BEAUTIFUL WHITE STRAIGHT TEETH. It's just a long, slow train is all. :lol:

There was a moment of horror as they removed the lip and tongue cage from my mouth and it felt drier than a dusty dog turd in my mouth (tasted about the same too). I tried to brush my cardboard tongue over my lips and then felt the brackets. It really feels like someone emptied my entire silverware drawer and then superglued the contents to the fronts of my teeth.

I got educated on what I can and cannot eat... here's hoping that I can lose a little weight since my all-time favorite snacks (everything salty and crunchy) are now verboten. Hey, guess what? In a couple of days PMS is going to set in and for the first time in 20 years I won't be able to self-medicate the complain with Doritos. Run, hubby, run.

Went for lunch after that - ordered lasagna. My teeth don't feel anything like a proper chewing connection so it was awkward to try to chew and took me twice as long as it normally would. It didn't even taste right, but that may be in my head. For two hours afterwards (even though I went and brushed right away) I was picking bits of hamburger out of the back corners of my mouth. Oh, attractive I know.

It doesn't really "hurt" yet... it just feels "tense". I'm starting to get some sore spots inside my upper lip, I think I'll sleep with wax tonight. They told me not to use too much since it will just lengthen the time it takes my mouth to adjust.

Here is what is wrong with my mouth:
Crowding
Crossbite
Overbite
Right/Left molar bite less than ideal
Anterior bite depth is deep
Lower front teeth are too far behind upper front teeth

I'm going to post some pics as soon as I figure out how.

knottynurse

#8 Post by knottynurse »

They're not the greatest pics... I'll get better as I see progress I hope! :)

[/img]

Dilema

#9 Post by Dilema »

very healthy teeth

that should be fixed in no time

NervousNewbie

#10 Post by NervousNewbie »

You have gorgeous teeth and they will be so beautiful once all straight! You have the same brackets on the top that I have (the In-Ovation C's). Just in case they didn't tell you the little blue dots come off after a few days of brushing if they haven't come off yet! Your post brace reaction was the same as mine - as soon as I closed my lips down around my brackets I thought - oh my goodness, what in the heck is in my mouth!? They begin to feel less and less "large" as the days go by and sometimes I don't even think about them being on anymore!

As for the question in your previous post, I am taking psychology - I actually work with the disabled so it is the perfect degree for my line of work. :)

Keep us updated!

My Journey

knottynurse

#11 Post by knottynurse »

I have the Damons and didn't realize that I won't need ligs either.

I'm not feeling TOO much pain, but the amount of food that is getting stuck is awful. Gross.

I had a wire pop out at the very bottom/back already. I take my daughter in for her bracing tomorrow morning, so I'll have them pop that thing back in. I can't figure out how to do it.

Overall I am NOT used to these things. My hub won't do more than peck me now... hopefully he'll get over that. LOL It could be a loooong two years... :roll:

TinGrin4460

Two weeks

#12 Post by TinGrin4460 »

Hi All,
I had my first adjustment for my braces this morning. I'm new to braces and I also had partials inserted as well, so getting used to everything fitting right and getting my diction and pronunciation right has been a challenge; but I'm hanging in there.
I have a ten month haul, so I am taking this time to improve on me, in every possible way.
I too was worried about what people would say and think, but guess what, they seldom notice, and even if they do, few have positive things to say.
I am doing this for ME. I will feel better about ME.

NervousNewbie

#13 Post by NervousNewbie »

knottynurse wrote:My hub won't do more than peck me now... hopefully he'll get over that. LOL It could be a loooong two years... :roll:
The ONE time in the past two weeks my guy has kissed me, he made his lips as tight as possible and stuck them out as far from his face as possible, as if I have the plague. Other than that, it's been kisses on the forehead... :roll:

My Journey

TinGrin4460

Geez it hurts

#14 Post by TinGrin4460 »

Today for the first time my braces have been hurting. I can hardly bite on my food, and as I also have partial dentures at the back of the top of my mouth the adjustment process has been painful.
Just saying.

knottynurse

#15 Post by knottynurse »

Hang in there TinGrin, it gets better.

Mine don't hurt anymore, they just feel bulky.

We had Thanksgiving dinner tonight and everything tasted SO good, but what a mess in my mouth afterwards! LOL

Yes, the romance situation will be interesting. I don't know if I'd want to kiss me. LOL