34, a Momma of 2, and braces.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SonyaM

#16 Post by SonyaM »

Okay, I'm done whining. Blame hormones and life overload. Today life is better. A week from tomorrow I go in for my first adjustment and find out if anything significant is happening from the orthodontist's point of view. I see changes, but hopefully he'll see something positive too! Back to happy thoughts, and shiny smiles!!

AndrewM

#17 Post by AndrewM »

Wow your improvement is really inspiring to me! Your teeth are going to be amazing when you're through (they already looked really nice and white). Keep us posted!

SonyaM

#18 Post by SonyaM »

Thank you, Andrew! I hope this journey is shorter than the 28 month expected time....but whatever it takes I guess. :)

And now for an update...

I have discovered that I'm OBSESSED with cleaning my teeth! I have been flossing like a crazy person and brushing ALL THE TIME. I put a toothbrush and toothpaste in every bathroom in the house "just in case" and also keep one in each car AND in my purse. I've gone BONKERS! I just can't stand the feeling of any food left in my teeth if I have a snack....and since I get low blood sugar OFTEN I snack OFTEN which only makes me more obsessed. *sigh* I can't imagine how bad this will be when I get the bottom braces put on....I've been reading that they trap more food than the top arch. :crazy: I'm going to need a tooth cleaning intervention....it's almost OCD bad. :oops:

So only a few more days until my FIRST adjustment and I'm nervous/anxious and excited. I hope to hear good news and am ready to bombard the Doc with all of my piled up questions. :) I'll take pics afterwards, and hopefully my stubborn little toofers have moved a little more!!

catgyrl

#19 Post by catgyrl »

Sonya, you crack me up! I completely get the cleaning obsession. I went from brushing once a day, and almost never flossing pre-braces, to brushing 3x a day, rinsing after snacks, flossing once a day and using a waterpik. I have to let you know that over brushing can be damaging to your teeth, too. It can wear down the enamel. Once after every big meal is fine; you can rinse really well after snacking. Flossing once every evening is fine too. I use the waterpik prior to flossing to get all the bigger hunks of food loose, then floss.

That said... The dental aisle of WalMart is my favorite section... Even more than cosmetics! I am so stocked up on crap, it's ridiculous. I just ordered a 50-pack of OrthoSil from Dentakit.com here to use instead of wax. It's much more pliable than wax, and stays on waaaaay better. My mouth is a holy MESS this month.

-Cathy

SonyaM

#20 Post by SonyaM »

I use toddler toothbrushes, the extra super soft ones, because my teeth are so sore in places. I don't think they'll hurt the enamel, I'm not sure they even REALLY brush my teeth all that well. ;) I use a sonicare at night, and waterpick when I feel like shooting my eye out.

On another topic..... the last 5 days (I think) Mr. Fang is HURTING. I mean, triggering migraines hurting. I gave birth to my children with no meds, and walked myself to recovery with no assistance, carrying my baby in one arm and pulling a suitcase with the other. I have a pretty high pain tolerance. This tooth has roots into my brain, and is making my entire face hurt. Not to mention the two incisors to the right of it....they hurt too! I know, they're just moving, but darn, can they do the painful part while I sleep? Oy....thank goodness I have a GREAT doctor who gave me a lovely supply of pain meds. Or I think I'd be forced to drink the pain away. :lol:

That's all. My random whine. Carry on with your weekend. :dance:

SonyaM

#21 Post by SonyaM »

Oh, and I forgot to mention that this ordeal has caused me to lose 2 pounds already. I'll be down to my high school weight soon if this keeps up! :heart:

SonyaM

#22 Post by SonyaM »

Wow...I just found out what all the pain is about....MOVEMENT! That can't be seen from the front! Look at the arch wire....it's straighter! YAY!

September 16th

September 26th

SilverGirl

#23 Post by SilverGirl »

Yay! Those teeth are really being pulled forward!

Happy2Smile

#24 Post by Happy2Smile »

How exciting! It is sooooo fun to see the progress! :D

DesertCat

#25 Post by DesertCat »

Oh, yes, definitely some movement there! :D

SonyaM

#26 Post by SonyaM »

Well, today was eventful. My appointment that was supposed to be Monday was rescheduled for today because the Dr. went out of town unexpectedly. SO, this morning I go in, he examines my teeth, and tells me we're sticking with the same wire but he's going to wire tie my two lateral incisors. (Two stubborn snaggle teeth that need to get movin'.) So that is all done, and I go home feeling like I have been bashed in the mouth with a baseball. I expected that because I was sore going in.
About an hour later one of the wire tied brackets pops off. So into the car I go, and back to the office. I didn't even call since I had basically just left the building. :) I walk in, they glue it back on, and just do figure 8's with the ligs instead of wire ties. So I'm still in pain, weird stinging in my sinuses again, and my daughters chose orange ligs for me this time. (They are having fun with colors, so I'll just let them keep picking ligs out for me. :heart: )

I'll take photos after I floss and brush, we just had dinner. :lol: I'm pretty sure nothing looks very different, except for the orange. 6 more weeks, and the Dr. says a new wire. Yay for progress!

SonyaM

#27 Post by SonyaM »

So looking at photos, no real change from the front except for color. So here they are, all figure 8's and orange. :)

Dilema

#28 Post by Dilema »

I'm jealous

you have beautiful teeth

congrats on your progress

mikesmile

#29 Post by mikesmile »

Hi Sonya :)

Glad to hear that you're seeing some positive early results...although not without some pain and discomfort. I think we all can empathize with that.
It get's kind of weird, though, when we start to look forward to the pain knowing that it's bring on a new movement in our teeth. :wink:

Like you, I had to wait a while for my bottom braces until significant movement was accomplished in the top arch first (except I was an underbiter instead of an overbiter). A couple of things I'll say about having bottom braces. They do trap more food , indeed! :? They made me lisp at first, although not so much now. I also, for some reason kept biting the inside of my cheeks when the bottoms first went on...maybe 'cause they felt so "full" against my lower lip? Just giving you a heads up... :roll:

About your chipped teeth...I really know how you feel there! I have several myself, which is really what led me back to getting braces again. My whole bite - particularly in front - had shifted so that top and bottom incisors crashed into each other when biting down. Over the years it had caused a lot of damage. Do you plan on any bonding or crowns when you're finished w/ your ortho treatment?

Hey, I love your orange ligs by the way. That'll be my next choice since halloween's coming up. It's funny that your daughters pick your colors. My 3 year old daughter gets a big kick out of it, too. When she picked yellow, I just couldn't do it. :lol:

Thanks for your photos...they're great. Good luck w/ everything! :D

Mike

Second Time In Braces - Estimate 12-14 Months

khublei

#30 Post by khublei »

Your teeth look great already. And you have definitely seen some movement. Well done teeth!! :jump:

Love your figure 8's!