Clare's Story (Ireland)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Clare

Clare's Story (Ireland)

#1 Post by Clare »

So I just got my braces on yesterday. Finally! Considering it was April when my dentist recommended them, it's taken a while! The problem with my teeth is that my top ones are not in line with the bottom, both eye teeth on the top are slightly crooked and when I close them, the top is slowly eroding the bottom - lovely!
So in April I started my research into braces in Ireland, which are SOOO expensive! I nearly had a heart attack when I heard the price. Thank god, I live close enough to the border, so I've headed North and am saving at least 1000euro!

Back to my braces, he had them on yesterday in about half an hour, clear brackets on the top, full metal jacket on the bottom! They don't look half as bad as I thought they would but man, they hurt! I took a ponsten before they were applied so no pain until about lunchtime yesterday but they seriously hurt now. Still taking one ponsten every four hours.

I have to get a tooth out on the 4th of Sept and then back to the Ortho on October 12th for my first adjustment.

I hope to God this pain goes away soon!!!!

Clare

Clare's Story (Ireland)

#2 Post by Clare »

Does anyone know how soon I will see changes in my teeth? I think I see the smallest gap in my front teeth, but I think it could be wishful thinking!!!

In other news, the pain is nearly gone! Hopefully I will be back on solids over the weekend! :-D

rhomboid

#3 Post by rhomboid »

Congratulations with having yourself braced; you will be very glad that you did this for yourself. Movement should come in subtile increments enough to recognize in fairly short order. Please don't obsess with movement it will come as it will and you can then enjoy it. Best of luck.

Clare

#4 Post by Clare »

Thanks rhomboid!

I'm fairly confident that there is now in fact a gap inbetween my two front teeth! I got out my "before braces" photos and there was defo no gap there. My teeth were so close together, it was impossible to floss them but now there is the teeny tiniest gap! So I'm delighted! The pain has gone now, although I did wake up sore this am due to clenching my teeth last night! I'm slowly getting back on to the solids as well, I just can't bite into anything yet.

I'm feeling a lot more confident with them in now and not as self-conscious as I was last week - not that it helped with one of my colleagues making choo-choo noises and singing the theme tune to Thomas the Tank Engine :x

Margie

#5 Post by Margie »

I think I first noticed changes when I was flossing, I could tell that the teeth were moving because the floss moved between the teeth easier; and that was probably after having the braces for a couple of days.

I think I had very visible changes after about a month, that was very exciting! I try to take pictures monthly, it is a good way to track my progress.

ralphylad

#6 Post by ralphylad »

no visable movement in my teeth, people at work have been great, good luck with the brace...brace twin!

Clare

#7 Post by Clare »

Extraction on Saturday - eek!!! Getting very apprehensive now!!! Not looking forward to it at all - absolutely crapping it to be honest! I'm such a chicken! :(

catgyrl

#8 Post by catgyrl »

Hi Clare-

I think we ALL worry more about extractions than we really should. I went so far as to tell my oral surgeon I wanted nitrous oxide ("laughing gas") so I wouldn't give a hoot what they were doing to me. By the time the laughing gas kicked in, my tooth was already out. It took, literally, 10 seconds to pull my tooth. I wasn't even in La-La-Land yet - I wanted a refund because I didn't get my money's worth! LOL! I had no swelling; no pain; and only kept the gauze in there for a few hours. I was back in the orthodontist's office a week later getting my wire put across the extraction gap. You'll have plenty of time to recuperate before getting fully braced.

I also have ceramic on top, and full metal on the bottom. I love them all! The pain you're experiencing is normal, and will subside as time goes by. But be forewarned - you may still experience pain immediately after each adjustment, but like I said, it goes away quicker each time.

Gaps are great, aren't they? Especially when you've never had any before! I just saw my first big one today - between my two front teeth that have always overlapped my entire life. I'm sitting at my desk taking pics of my teeth, and my coworkers think I'm bonkers!

-Cathy

Clare

#9 Post by Clare »

Thanks for that Cathy, I feel marginally better. I made the mistake of googling the extraction process yesterday, which put the fear of God into me. So now I'm just trying not to think about it, after all, worrying only causes unnecessary wrinkles :lol:

I have been fully braced :) I have clear brackets on the top and metal on the bottom. The dentist has to pull the tooth without breaking the wire. My orthodontist reckons that there is enough space between the wire and the tooth for the dentist to do it sans probleme! I'm not sure! Time will tell :)

Clare

#10 Post by Clare »

I noticed this morning that the wire on my top arch to the right-hand side is not connected to the last bracket. I have clear brackets on the top except for the very last bracket on the left hand side and the last two on the right hand side. These are metal. I have no idea if the wire is supposed to be connected as to me the last bracket seems smaller than the preceding one. But I have to wait now on a reply from the orthodontist. I'm not sure that there is much point in going to see him this week as he mentioned that the dentist might need to cut the wire in order to extract the tooth. Will see what he says.

So much for trouble free orthodontics :(

Clare

#11 Post by Clare »

So I spoke to my Ortho about the wire, well to his secretary really. Apparently it does not matter that the wire is not connected, if it is not causing any pain it is ok. :? Seems a bit odd to me but I am assuming they know there stuff. I did send them an email before I rang explaining everything so hopefully he read it and told her what to say!

Two days to tooth pulling :(

Clare

#12 Post by Clare »

So I had my extraction on Saturday. God it was awful! I had worked myself into such a panic going in! The dentist was lovely as she always is, but I was just so worked up, the nurse had to practically sit on me while the dentist was doing the work!

Thank god it didn't bleed much and it seems to be healing well. It was quite sore the last two days though, am still taking painkillers but the pain is easing.

The hole in the side of my mouth is MASSIVE! So big my mother told me not to smile until the gap has closed :(

Hopefully that is the last of the major painful and traumatic steps on the way to perfect teeth :D

khublei

#13 Post by khublei »

Good luck! I'm Irish too, and if you stick an 'i' in the middle of your name we even have the same name! My braces are going on tomorrow, so you're a little bit ahead of me. I hope it all goes well for you!

Clare

#14 Post by Clare »

Ha, that's cool! Hope it goes well for you! Stock up on the Nurophen plus and you'll be grand! Are you getting yours in the South or up North?

Clare

#15 Post by Clare »

My sister bought me a Waterpik yesterday :-D It's charging at home at the mo, I'm so excited to go home and use it!!! I have this horrible terrible fear that when my braces are off, my teeth will have loads of cavities because I'm missing out on places. Hopefully this is completely irrational because I brush after every meal and spend about 30 mins brushing/flossing/rinising before bed! Hopefully the waterpik will make it easier though cos flossing takes FOREVER!