JennieBaby..damons and surgery @29 for overjet and crowding

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alimommy1

#16 Post by alimommy1 »

Hi Jenniebaby :D
I just read through your story and I think this is GREAT what you're doing for yourself. I can relate to the looking younger thing - are you also petite? Women, especially petite women who just have baby faces tend to be thought of as younger, and therefore less experienced - at whatever. It irritates me too, because occasionally people assume I am SINGLE too simply because I look young!

It's funny what you say about being a very young real estate agent and then being faced with much older home buyers or home listers - I was 24 I think when I was looking for a realtor. The first one I went to was VERY rude to me, since I probably still looked under 20. The thing was, I'd been married for 2 years and we already HAD a home, we were looking to buy a new one lol. We were also prequalified for our loan, so my list of requests were reasonable. I eventually found another agent who was perfect for us and who did not talk down to me, we eventually bought a house he found for us and loved it. My hours were more regular than my husband's at the time so I was the one doing the bulk of the home searching. I actually prefer younger professionals of any field because they tend to be less judgemental of ME lol.

I cannot imagine your braces would cost you business! Especially since you have the clears, and they are very discreet. Remember too, the market is kinda lousy right now too, so I don't think it's personal at all if people don't call back for a showing or don't decide to lease or buy. We might be moving soon and I sure hope not to be in an area where everybody is over 50 - a retirement area is NOT my idea of fun, we have a 6 year old!

jenniebaby

#17 Post by jenniebaby »

sammywantsstraightteeth-
I don't think my friends and family are getting any less supportive, but they are not saying anything about it, which works for me! My husband actually noticed my bite was off and my teeth were crooked for the first time about two days ago.

I guess as adults we just gotta grab the bull by the horns and do whats right for us. In five years time everyone but the closest people to me will have forgotten all about the braces and the jaw surgery.
Thats why I am so grateful for this forum. My whole life I have seen one other adult in braces. Knowing someone else in the world, can't floss and is being mistook as vain for just wanting a healthy beautiful smile, helps deal with those who think I'm self absorbed. One of my friends actually said "dental hypochondriac" Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one out there with this problem.

RedDress-I was told the dentist did Damon brackets only. His website also only mentions damon brackets. If he used another brand I don't know. I will ask next time I go in. Just as long as the brackets are self ligating, I'm a happy girl! What makes you think they are not Damon's?

Equaeternal-
I tried the air trick....and no luck. But I didn't realize the moisture was making all the difference. It's my bands that really hurt (they have little bits that jut right out). I couldn't get it dry enough though :cry: But I did get some cotton back there, dried it out....and voila! It stuck! I find it works really well on my lowers (better than the silicone) and the silicone is best on the uppers. Thank you so much for the good advice. My wax came with no instructions! And I was in such a hurry to get outta the chair and go out shopping with my friend, I didn't do much listening to the poor hygienist. :oops:
So far no more comments at work. But I haven't met with any new clients all week. Your lucky no one assumes you are younger. I mean its nice a lot of the time, but not when your trying to come across as a mature smart adult!
About the large teeth my friend who studied anthropology told me that our animal ancestors (apes, monkeys) show their teeth as a social thing and a big toothy monkey grin is a sign to other monkeys that its safe and good to socialize with them, or something like that....anyways it supposedly works on humans too, and the more your teeth show when you smile the more at ease and happier others are around you will be. So large teeth are a social plus, because we can smile bigger! :BigTeethGrin:

Starzz- Thanks for the idea. I am definetely going to bring up my son more! I am hoping people just don't notice the braces at all, I mean they are clear. A few have never seen clear braces and they are like,"what is in your mouth?" Two people have thought they were a retainer. I know people who even know a persons age can treat them like they are younger or older just based on how they look. Its not on purpose. Thats just human nature.
BRACED: July 27th 2010
Overjet 8mm, crowding, small arches...Sugery to Come......

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/
[/url]

My Braces Story
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=36186
____________TO GIVE IS PRICELESS__________

jenniebaby

#18 Post by jenniebaby »

Thanks Alimommy1 :-#) Doing anything just for yourself is so exciting! I am fairly petite and I have a baby face ( not chubby, just large eyes). It used to really be okay to be cute for me, but not with this job! It does seem that the women are more than likely in charge of searching for the house and the realtor! I am so sorry that first realtor was rude to you. Some realtors are very successful and it really goes to their heads. Its unfortunate. People do assume I am single as well. My husband is ten years older than me and if I don't introduce him as my husband, people wonder...who's that guy?

I too prefer younger professionals. I just used a lawyer who was fresh out of law school, she really knew her stuff and was like a shark. Couldn't say I went wrong there. Come to think of it, I wouldn't of cared if she had braces! I am going to really stop worrying so much about what other people may think or percieve and just charge ahead; head high, big smile!

Thanks so much Alimommy.

[/url]

My Braces Story

equaeternal

#19 Post by equaeternal »

Aw well I hope it's true for humans too *smiles big* glad my tip helped. It took me a while to figure out how to use the wax too. ugh I hate pokey wires an pokey parts of the braces! I feel your pain. I have those 'hook' things on my top an bottom braces for elastics an they drove me crazy for the first 2 week. I globbed so much wax on it wasn't even funny.

oh an also with the wax with mine it works best if it is a little warm. I normally hold it in my hand for a sec before I put it on. I have no idea why but it works better that way

alimommy1

#20 Post by alimommy1 »

LOL! My husband is also ten years older than me. Amazing similarities we have going on here.. lol!

jenniebaby

#21 Post by jenniebaby »

Well I am at the two week mark, and that crazy canine is a cadidate for the most improved award. :BigGrin: My teeth stopped hurting just a few days ago. They still bother me if I try to do something stupid like bite my nails. Braces seems to be the natural cure for nail biters. I am still not eating sandwiches, but the diet of soft food and whining seems to be at an end for a little bit.

I am surprised that I have experienced some movement already. Although its not a lot, it is very satisfying. I don't know what I was expecting, but this is good. My front teeth are fitting differently together. It is very difficult but not impossible to close my teeth at the back. My midline seems to be shifting ever so slightly the side that it was already leaning toward. I'm sure that will be sorted out eventually. Sorry for the huge images, I don't really know why they are that big.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The crink in the wire is definetely less where the wonky canine is.
I know its not a lot of difference. I'm going to keep updating this as a record for myself of all the little changes and such. This is almost like a pregnancy, in the beginning every little change is exciting and noteworthy, and probably at the end I won't care I'll just want them
off. :lol:

Nine more days til my premolars come out on the bottom and 13 more days til my lower braces go on. I have some left over separating elastics, so I am going to try to put them in on the side where the contacts were too tight after the removal of the premolars. I am hoping that will save me one more trip to Ottawa to get a band put on and they can just do it all in one appointment.

I am very very scared to have my teeth pulled. I have never before (except my wisdom teeth which was surgery so I was asleep) I plan to bring my ipod. I hated watching people get their teeth pulled when I worked in a dentists office. I hate the sound. Usually there would be a slight crack. I don't want to hear it, so the music will be very very loud. Hopefully they don't lose a root. I've seen that happen, then the dr. has to dig for it. A little bit too much knowledge can surely cause paranoia in this case. :FeelSick:

Wish me luck!

Alimommy-It's amazing the similarities people who have never met can have. :)

[/url]

My Braces Story

LARRYBOY56

#22 Post by LARRYBOY56 »

Jenniebaby,

Just want to confirm that those are, in fact, the clear Damons. I have exactly the same configuration.....clear Damon on the front social 6 and metal Damons everywhere else. They're great, aren't they!!??

I was smoking through a pack-a-day of wax for the first 2+ weeks with all the hooks (plus I have 6 bands and the hooks on those stick out farther). It does get better as you get used to all the stuff in the mouth.

Oh, and I can't speak to your age, but I doubt it is causing problems with your business. I am 54 and starting the journey. It was over a week before some of my co-workers noticed I had the braces! And I think it was the lisp that gave me away in the end. I have bite turbos and don't handle the S's very well.

Good luck!
Larry,

overfortyish

#23 Post by overfortyish »

Yeah - I was gonna say they do not look like Inovation C's to me - more like Damons. They look GREAT! Congrats!

overfortyish

#24 Post by overfortyish »

Forgot to ask you Jennie - do they feel very bulky to you? Can you take a photo of your mouth closed so we can see how your lip fits over your teeth? One of my biggest fears is I will have top and bottom lips protruding out.

Are you getting ceramic or metal on bottom?

LARRYBOY56

#25 Post by LARRYBOY56 »

overfortyish,

The clear Damons do seem to stick out slightly farther than the metal. It's not that much more, but I do notice a slight bit more lip protrusion on the top because of it. It has been well worth it to me.

Larry
Larry,

jenniebaby

#26 Post by jenniebaby »

Larryboy56-Congrats on taking the big plunge. I have decided if anyone has a problem with my braces then they would have a problem with something else if it wasn't that. Right? I had a boyfriend who was forty and had braces. Hes the only other adult I have ever met who had braces. I didn't think much of them. He was a pharmacist and I'm sure people didn't judge him for his braces. I wouldn't care if my lawyer or doctor or anyone else had braces. Mind you, I'm pretty open minded. Close minded people will always find something about someone they don't like. I hope that I don't need bite turbos. Those look like a special form of torture that I didn't even know existed til I came to this forum.
Why six bands? That seems like a lot. But for these type of braces, it really only seems to be my bands that bother me...so six would be a real bother. And I gotta agree the Damon clear are a great configuration. I wasn't given any options by my ortho, he just assumed I would want clear. Where I live is pretty rural, a lot of people have never seen clear before and think its a retainer... :) Good luck with your journey.

overfortyish-They are a little bit bulky and in the morning my upper lip is swollen from resting on them all night, so I wake up with a great Angelina Jolie pout, unfortunately for me its gone by nine :(
I do not find that when I close my mouth that they are really that noticeable. I will include this photo taken with my cell for you,

URL=http://img193.imageshack.us/i/0001wh.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My lips are naturally fairly full...wish I had a before for you. I would say the braces add ten percent though. You also have to remember that I have an overjet, which makes my lips seem fuller. Thats why I opted for damons over the other idea of removing top premolars. If you like your profile...don't remove top teeth unless it is very necessary. Your upper lip and face will flatten out. My ortho calls it dish face.

I wonder if Larryboy56 would have anything to say as to whether his damons are making his lips stick out more?

Oh yes...I am getting ceramics on the bottom social six and metal in the back. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Hope this helps :D

[/url]

My Braces Story

jenniebaby

#27 Post by jenniebaby »

Extraction day!
All I can say is, if I ever have to do that again...they had better knock me out!

I drove myself because everyone who had volunteered to go with me was busy or sick or not to be found. I was very very nervous. I guess the doctor could tell, because he immediately offered the gas. He wasn't my regular dentist, some guy in the military who had come in to help out my regular guy. After assuring me that he does this all the time, I decided to let this guy near my mouth.

I have some sort of strange thing going on where I had all sorts of extra roots going on in what should have been a single root tooth. Not to mention that my roots were deep in my mouth, I guess they were long. What should have been easy was worse than horrible. The freezing did not freeze my lower jaw, and I had some extra nerves in there. The first one felt like someone was breaking my jaw. I FREAKED! So he froze me some more. He later told me he'd never had anyone feel it there. Then he spent ten minutes digging in the hole for the lost roots. And then more of the same on the other side.

I don't know if the gas made it worse or better. I was hallucinating and very confused as to what was going on. I guess it was better to be confused.

That was this morning at nine. I slept until the freezing came out. Then the pain woke me up. I've had my wisdom teeth out, and that doesn't even compare to the pain I'm going through right now. The dentist gave me some tylenol three. He called and I told him it still hurt so he called in a prescription for percoset. That is making it feel a bit better. I'm pretty scared to eat though. I don't know if I should have been driving home. But I'm here. I know the surgery is going to be worse. Regardless, I am never getting a tooth pulled again!!! Not with these alien roots!

Braces on the bottom monday!

[/url]

My Braces Story

equaeternal

#28 Post by equaeternal »

I hope you are feeling better. Extractions suck!

jenniebaby

#29 Post by jenniebaby »

I want to try to be as optimistic about this as possible, as to not scare people to death of getting braces. My extraction holes are still very very painful. Probably because the dentist spent a long time digging in there and used the hand piece quite a bit. For what I don't know I didn't ask. I got the lower braces on yesterday. I will put pictures up as soon as the extraction holes don't look so nasty. No one needs to see that.

I was very concerned about getting etchant on the extraction site. So they covered them in cotton. Because of the condition of those holes, they almost didn't even put the bottom ones on. The dentist was concerned because it still looked fresh, despite being three days old. I thought I was getting clear on the bottom as well, but i was wrong :( I have metal on the bottoms. Might as well have them on the top as well. I am hating the clear now, they are staining like crazy. You can see the bottoms more than the top anyways.

They only put the wire across the front six. They want the teeth in the front to unravel themselves a bit and because the wire is so light they thought it would just pop out of the brackets at the back. I also got the molar build ups. On the upside, I am not able to really touch my front teeth, which is good because I'm in a lot of pain whenever anything touches my bottom teeth. On the downside, I can't chew with my back teeth or my front teeth. With the extractions still hurting too, I'm living off air and ice cream. :soremouth:

I am in so much pain! This is nothing like the uppers getting braced. Between my lower jaw and the extraction holes and the front braces I was actually crying last night :-(( I am coasting through today on some hard core painkillers left over from the extraction and a previous surgery. That surgery didn't hurt near as bad as this, so I'm glad I saved them. I have a habit of clenching in my sleep, so I'm up screaming as soon as I clench. Thank god for those molar build ups, so I'd be in so much more pain. :FeelSick: I spent yesterday at the exhibition and today at a water park, nauseous, hungry and in pain. I know this will only be a few days, but I can't wait for this to be over.

I know the surgery will make this look easy, and I'm getting apprehensive!

Pictures to come, oh yes, on a positive note: the upper crazy fang has moved in even more! Seeing that makes it all worth it.

Equaeternal: Thanks for asking, every day is better a bit. I've been told it may take a while. :) Thank god thats over!

[/url]

My Braces Story

equaeternal

#30 Post by equaeternal »

Ugh I know how you feel I had to extractions on top. One tooth was really hard to get out because apparently I have crazy roots. So they had to dig around in there for like 15-20 minutes to get the roots out. I had to get stitches. Did you get stitches? I am surprised that you got the lowers on so soon. I had to wait a week to get mine on. Maybe it was because of I had to wait to get the stitches out?

Salt water rinses helped my extraction sites a lot. I did it once or twice a day. It takes a while to eat food normally. It took me about two weeks to get used to the gaps now I hardly notice them.

It does get better trust me. After the extractions I remember sitting in my bedroom all puffy face with cotton in my mouth an just crying. It wasn’t so much that I was in pain more that I was over whelmed by what was happening to me. It gets better!