Jade's Story - braces round 2

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sjs8906

#16 Post by sjs8906 »

Well, my nose and cheeks have been pretty sore for about a week now. The soreness starts to go away but comes back each time I turn the expander.

Today I woke up and my nose is bruised! I wonder if this is normal?

sjs8906

#17 Post by sjs8906 »

The bruising is gone (thank goodness :lol: classes start in two days). My teeth are definitely moving, no gaps are visible but now there are several places that floss slides right through, not even seeming to touch my teeth. Of course, the only upper teeth that I can floss are my "social six," so that's all I have to go by. Speaking of that, I found some images online that are very similar to this "bite closing device" that I have. These photos are better than the ones I've taken myself and definitely better than my descriptions.

The first image is rather small, but you can see in the second one the hooks that attach to the TADS. Still no visible closing of the open bite yet, though. But I'm patient :D .

Found out last week that my insurance has changed it's ortho policies. Where they did cover ortho up to age 23, it's now age 19. So no insurance help :cry:. My ortho office was kind though and extended my payments instead of making them go up.

On another note, my actual orthodontist called me to make sure everything was going well with the TADs & expander. I was very surprised to receive a call from him, and not an assistant or receptionist. I thought that was very nice! It's definitely something that my old orthodontist NEVER did!

gotbracesat49mom

temporary anchorage devices

#18 Post by gotbracesat49mom »

Hello again Jade,
Just read your story, you are a brave woman!! I'm so glad that you're going this route and sharing your story, very re-assuring to hear that the TAD's themselves are NOT painful!!
You've been thru a lot, and I look forward to your future posts. Hopefully you will avoid surgery and be happy with your smile after all this, I know having a good ortho makes all the difference.
I have an appt with the Oral Surgeon on Wednesday to discuss my options. My orthodontist feels he can make my open bite "better if not corrected" with TAD's but I have to wait until January to see if my dental insurance will cover them as I have no benefits left this year. May I ask you if your dental insurance covered the TAD's?
I am torn because I really need the surgery but feel that I should try all options before resorting to surgery keeping that as a last option if the TAD's don't work. That being IF the medical insurance will cover it? I also have sleep apnea so we may be able to get it approved....
Sorry to ask so many questions, I am honestly a bit anxious, but very happy to connect with you.
tHANKS MUCH and hope you're feeling better!!

sjs8906

#19 Post by sjs8906 »

gotbracesat49mom – Thanks so much for your kind words! I was VERY relieved to discover that the insertion of the TADs is definitely not painful! Even now, I can’t even tell that they’re there.

My TADs were figured into the entire cost of treatment, and initially my insurance agreed to pay a portion (25%, I think it was) but now they’re saying they will not pay anything. It’s unfortunate, but luckily my payments are low enough that I can continue treatment.

I feel the same as you – I would like to leave surgery as a last resort! The reasons being that surgery involves pain/recovery time/etc. and also the cost. My orthodontist seems very hopeful with the TADs so I hope to hear that it's going well at my next appointment.

I completely understand your anxiety! It was intimidating enough for me to begin orthodontic treatment as an adult, and having a difficult case to correct was added worry!

Hope that you receive good news from your oral surgeon and orthodontist, and I wish you well! Whichever route you choose, I look forward to hearing how it goes! Good luck!

gotbracesat49mom

#20 Post by gotbracesat49mom »

Hi Jade:)
Thank you again for your prompt response, sounds like we are on the same page!! I went to see the Oral Surgeon last week and he feels very strongly that we could make up to a 95% correction of my open bite with the TAD's which is great news. He said for my case (considering age, recovery, insurance issues, etc) they're a great 1st option.He will have to place the TAD's since my ortho has not done this previously for this type of correction and they will work together on the placement. So if my dental insurance will not cover them I'll have to pay for or finance them myself but we'll try to get my dental insurance to cover them first.
I also saw my ortho the next day and he feels that the bite correction COULD be up to 100% resolved best case scenario.He's excited about the possibilities and trying something new. So that's the plan, this will be his first case to use TAD's for open bite but he's an amazing Ortho and I have full confidence in him.
As far as the sleep apnea goes I will have a sleep study done and then we could always go that route if the study is positive then the insurance will cover the surgery. BUT, that would involve moving both jaws slightly which is MAJOR surgery, so hopefully the TAD's will do the job.
Thanks again for your inspirational story, I will stay in contact and LOOK FORWARD to your future posts hoping you will have a fabulous end result!!!! All the best:)

sjs8906

#21 Post by sjs8906 »

I’ve had some strange things going on with my gums for the last couple of days. The gum under one of the coils (that's connected to the TAD) is so sore right now. When I brush my teeth and the toothpaste touches that part of my gums it really stings. I’m not sure if the coil/spring is rubbing on the gum somehow, but I haven’t experienced this until now. I did switch toothpaste about a week ago but I can't see how that would be a problem.

I use my Waterpik religiously because there are so many nooks & crannys in the hardware in my mouth. Last night I was using it on the roof of my mouth, where the bars of the expander meet my teeth, just like I do every other night, and my gums started bleeding like crazy! I mean, I used to experience gum bleeding a little before I started flossing regularly, but nothing like this!

I don’t know…it’s weird, and anything strange happening with my gums concerns me a little. Could it just be because my gums are tender from my teeth moving? I hope so! I am VERY diligent when it comes to keeping everything clean, so I'm very confused ... :(

Anyway, I go back to the orthodontist in less than 2 weeks and I'm excited :lol:. I can't wait to hear good news from him *crosses fingers*

sjs8906

#22 Post by sjs8906 »

Hi gotbracesat49mom! That’s great news from your oral surgeon and orthodontist! My ortho seems very excited about using the TADs also :lol:. I know I’m not the first patient he’s tried this on because he’s referenced other patients in conversation, but I’ve been too shy to ask how their treatment is going/went! I’m glad though, that you have an amazing ortho, I think that is so important to have one that you trust and have confidence in!

Again, good luck with everything that’s coming up in the future!

I look forward to hearing from you!

gotbracesat49mom

#23 Post by gotbracesat49mom »

Hi Jade!!
So sorry to hear about your gum issue, I hope it get's better before you go to the Ortho so you're not in pain too long. The bleeding is a concern, if it continues I'm the type who would probably call the Ortho.
I'm just hanging in here now until January for the TAD's, keeping my fingers crossed that the Dental Insurance will cover a portion of them since my Orthodontist doesn't do them and I'll have to pay the Oral Surgeon to put them in. :?
Best of luck to you with the gums, it will be interesting to see what your Ortho says, also if he can detect movement in your palate, etc...Very exciting!!!!We go thru a lot for a great bite/smile, that's for sure!!
Thanks again for your support and encouragement!!!I'm so glad we connected!!!!take care.

sjs8906

#24 Post by sjs8906 »

Only 3 more turns of the expander! I'm so ready to get this part of the treatment over with. Going back to the orthodontist in less than a week! I'm hoping he'll tell me how much longer the expander has to stay in, I'll be counting down the days!

Luckily I've had no more gum bleeding issues, I don't know what was up with my gums that night! The only thing that's still hurting a little is the spring that's pressing into my gum. I'm thinking the ortho may have to "reload" the springs when I go in, so maybe that will fix it.

sjs8906

#25 Post by sjs8906 »

My first appliance check appointment was today and all went well. I have to turn the expander only once more, three days from now. My orthodontist feels that enough space has been created, and I'll be more than happy to stop turning!

He was pleased with the pull of the springs in closing my open bite, but one side is pulling a little tighter than the other. I could tell, because my bite has been a little "crooked" lately. He told the assistant to put a powerchain on that side, leaving the springs as they are. She let me choose which color I wanted, showing me the ones that would be most subtle. I chose hot pink :lol:. However, she couldn't get the chain to stay around the TAD because it already has 2 springs hooked on it and there wasn't enough room. She tried and tried and finally gave up when she slipped and stabbed me in the gum :(. My ortho told her to just use a power thread instead and my only color options were clear and gray...I chose gray. Not as exciting as pink though.

Here is the power thread:

It sticks out into my cheek and is annoying, but otherwise is fine.

I can tell my bite is closing slightly. There's not a lot of change yet though, I have several months to go.

This is my typical bite (with no appliance in):

These two are my bite on the first day the appliance was in, and today (almost 2 months later):
ImageImage

Not a whole lot of change, but my orthodontist measured today and he thinks it is going well! And at a pace that he is pleased with. "Slow and steady wins the race..." :roll:

fosterp

#26 Post by fosterp »

Yeah you can definitely see there has been improvement in the open bite.

sjs8906

#27 Post by sjs8906 »

fosterp wrote:Yeah you can definitely see there has been improvement in the open bite.
Thanks! I'm glad someone else can tell and it's not just in my head :lol:

Clo

#28 Post by Clo »

Hi,

open bite = bad bite = part of the head ...
So, it really IS in your head :lol:

Nah, just joking. I also see quite some improvement. It is always difficult to compare 2 different pics. But when comparing the opening to for example the width of your upper centrals, then you can see very well your bite is closing. And that is awesome. Because this means the appliance is working. Great news for you and something I hoped I could read, considering my issues and maybe me going the same route.

sjs8906

#29 Post by sjs8906 »

Hi Clo!

What you say is true...it truly is in my head :lol:

You are right though, it is difficult comparing photos! I try to get the camera at the exact same angle every time but I think it’s impossible to do :).

I am very excited that the appliance seems to be working, and hope for success for you if you decide to go this route! You definitely deserve it after all you have been through!

sjs8906

#30 Post by sjs8906 »

I’ve finished turning the torture device! Actually I finished two weeks ago today, but I’ve been slow to update. I can definitely tell a difference myself, and when comparing photos it is evidence that my front few teeth aren’t as crowded.

Image Image

First picture is from day one, second picture is approximately two months and 20 turns later.

Now I’m just ready to get the braces portion started!

My bite is really bothering me right now. The TADs seem to be moving the right molars more quickly than the left, which is why my orthodontist added some extra pull on the left side at my last appointment. It doesn’t seem to be helping yet though. Right now my teeth have only one tiny point of contact on the left side of my mouth and it’s causing some jaw pain. Only minor pain though, and it’s mostly just an annoyance. Hopefully both sides will even out soon :).