Jen's Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jen8626

Re: Jen's Story

#16 Post by Jen8626 »

Thanks chocomorsel

I guess all our mouths are slightly different. For example if you take out too many teeth it looks odd or if you don't take any you'll end up looking too full! It's a little odd that he's moving teeth forward to fill the gap but maybe its due to your jaw shape and for a correct bite. Do you wear your elastics when you eat? I did and I'm sure this helped to move teeth - sounds strange I know! If the elastics broke when I ate I just put a fresh pair on. Best of luck!

Jen x

chocomorsel

#17 Post by chocomorsel »

Depends on what I eat but most times I take them out because the get in my way. Keep us updated.

Jen8626

#18 Post by Jen8626 »

The gap on my bottom row is closing, yay!! :jump: but ouchies! Really sore to eat on that side, forgot how uncomfortable it is! Hopefully the gap will be fully closed by next month :D

Does anyone know if retainer brite or sonic brite is better? I think from what I've read retainer brite is better. I could ask my Ortho, hope he doesn't say just clean it with toothpaste, I had essix retainers last time and they became cloudy and scratched also had white marks on them. Going to make sure I look after these ones :D

Jen x

Jen8626

#19 Post by Jen8626 »

Hey guys

So it's 3 weeks to go until my braces maaay come off, I hope they do! My gap is closing slowly, why is it the last 1mm seems to take forever and feels huge in your mouth?! My bite seems good, but I have a few niggles, my right side bites down perfectly but my left side, same side as gap, doesn't seem to fit as well, maybe this is going to fix itself in the next 3 weeks as intended or I'm just being picky. If I'm in doubt I'll ask before the braces come off. Still wearing elastics at night, although sometimes I forget and wear them in the day instead :P

I know many people have written about ceramic braces staining, some people say they don't some people say they do. Well of course the ligatures around the bracket stain. The bracket doesn't stain. However the glue does! My braces have been on nearly a year now and underneath my incisor brackets the glue has stained a lot. It definitely is the glue, my orthodontist and hygienist said it was. I wonder if they use different type of glue for ceramics, my metal brackets on the bottom don't appear to have any stains? That's my only complaint with ceramic braces. I don't understand how people manage to use peroxide or baking soda to clean the braces, surely you'll end up with the enamel under the bracket a different colour to the rest of your tooth?!! Maybe I'm wrong.

So that's about it for now I'll write again in 3 weeks time eeee!!! :crazy:

Jen x

Jen8626

#20 Post by Jen8626 »

Hello everyone

So I had an appointment yesterday. Braces are still on, SIGH! Just a normal tightening, he's put a bend in my bottom wire to expand the lower arch so my bite improves (I'm glad he's doing this, I didn't think my bite was right). I got him to clean the stained glue around the brackets :D So double power chain on the bottom to close gap. New ligatures on top with power chain. Wearing elastics evening and nights. I have another tightening in May and then... drum roll...........

D-Day is mid-June!!! :jump: :rawk: :D :-*

2 months to go! My estimate was 16 months so 15 months in braces is about right. I'd love my braces off now but I definitely want to feel satisfied there is nothing more to do in my mouth lol before braces come off and ortho said there is no point taking them off if I later wish I had braces for longer. So I am just going to have to be more patient! Which is hard :crazy: I'll be having bonded retainers top and bottom and the free clear retainers. I'll have the moulds taken for the bonded retainer next appointment in May.... Cleaning the braces with the gloopy mould stuff will be fun?!!! :shock:

So thats all for now, excited I have a date for D-day 8)

Laterz peeps! :D Jen x

lilone

#21 Post by lilone »

Aw, what a disappointment. But you are right, it is much better to deal with having to wait a little longer while you are still trucking along than not be satisfied after they come out. I clearly remember the feeling from my first time in braces, though, of being told a D day and then showing up and finding it is just another regular appointment. I cried all the way home. But I was 12, so I didn't yet understand the benefit of waiting.

Good luck in your final months!

Jen8626

#22 Post by Jen8626 »

Hello all!

So had appointment last week, counting down to D-Day! Not a lot has changed. I still have double powerchain on bottom row with no ligatures, the beastly gap that wouldn't close has now closed :) On the top I have a single powerchain but again no ligatures. Still wearing elastics at night. For a long time I was wondering what my "proper" bite would look and feel like... now I understand what a perfect bite is! Right in the beginning of treatment I remember the ortho showing me a model of perfect teeth and saying how my teeth would move in this and that direction. I thought it would be aaaaages and wouldn't be as perfect but it pretty much is! Treatment time has gone soooo quick! My right side is done and feels good my left side has a tiny bit more to go. My lower arch is expanding still to 'fit-in' with my top arch. All very exciting stuff!

I'm going to have permanent retainer top and bottom and essix top and bottom too. Will ask ortho next time his opinion on retainer brite, or simply what I can clean the essix with. Last time I had them they became a bit mucky, had white marks on them, cleaning them with toothpaste didn't seem to be enough.

I think thats it, so D-Day is in June :D I am a bit concerned about lisping with essix and permanent, do you still lisp? Is it as bad as the hawley? I'm sure I would get used to it!

Anyhoo, byeee!
Jen x

Jen8626

#23 Post by Jen8626 »

Oh yea and another thing! Had the molds taken for the permanent retainer. I was wondering how the ortho would do this... surely the mold would get stuck in the brace?!! But ah haaa... what he did was put a large wax strip over both braces and then did the mold. I said to ortho the large wax strip would have been amazing in the beginning, it was bright red so couldn't wear it during the day lol but could wear it at night to help sore cheeks heal! Was nice not to feel the elastic hooks and the molar band for a while, sigh! Not long now :jump: :HugeGrin:

Jen8626

#24 Post by Jen8626 »

2 weeks to go!!!! :jump: +\+ :dance: Bite on my left side is getting there with elastics, overall looking good. Really excited, mostly thinking about food hehe and what my first meal will be without my braces! Can't wait for my deep dental cleaning after the braces come off, my ortho books a double appointment so I'll be there just over an hour probably. Little daunted at prospect of wearing retainers for rest of my life but like most things I'm sure it'll become second nature.

I'll post pictures soon :)

Jen8626

#25 Post by Jen8626 »

Here's a pic of my bite, you can see on the left (right hand side of screen) my bite is still a little open but oh so close. Last month my right hand side closed in last two weeks before check up wearing elastics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My old teeth! :)

Crazy stuff :) I had overjet of 10mm quite incredible what a few bits of elastic bands and metal can do, so glad I began this journey :)

I'll write again in 2 weeks time!! :-*