Cleaning the day after first adjustment?

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MegP60+

#1 Post by MegP60+ »

Just checked my calendar and my regular dental cleaning is scheduled for the day after my first adjustment. Should I reschedule the cleaning? Not sure if my teeth will be extremely sensitive as I have never experienced an adjustment.

Snowglobe32

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Can you go to the ortho, have them take the wires out, head to the dentist for the cleaning, then go back to the ortho for your adjustment all in one day? This is what I usually do and it is a lot easier for me.

My teeth were sore for a few days after my first adjustment. I am sure having them cleaned the day after wouldn't be too painful but it would be uncomfortable.

You might even get to the adjustment and the ortho might not change anything.

MegP60+

#3 Post by MegP60+ »

Thanks, the problem is I book my cleanings 4 months in advance and it might be difficult to change the appt. I may just take Advil and hope for the best for the cleaning. Got to keep up on the hygiene appointments!

Takako

#4 Post by Takako »

I'd advise against it, based on personal experience. The day after my adjustments is normally the worst for pain.

LC'sTeefs

#5 Post by LC'sTeefs »

Can you reschedule your adjustment for after your cleaning? My teeth always get sore a couple days before my next adjustment...do they know?...and for about 3 days to a week afterwards.

SimplySpiffy

#6 Post by SimplySpiffy »

I had a similar thing happen before my last adjustment. I had inadvertently scheduled my cleaning for the day after my adjustment and called the dentist back as soon as I noticed it to have it moved to later in the week. That is even after having had at least 5 adjustments before. Even now, I still get a bit sore on that next day. Besides, I just wanted to play it safe so that the cleanings weren't unnecessarily comfortable (I already don't care much for sitting there with the hygienist poking about my mouth). Why be in pain if you don't have to be?

At any rate, even just based on my experience with my first adjustment, I'd strongly advise rescheduling if possible. The soreness I felt that day after my first adjustment was really only topped by the soreness the day after getting braced. I had to go back on soft foods for a few days after my first adjustment, if that's any indication. Even if yours aren't completely sore, chances are that you will have at least a couple teeth that are feeling a lot of pressure and as soon as your hygienist starts trying to scrape and polish on those, it's going to be incredibly uncomfortable. But that's just my two cents! Good luck either way!

MegP60+

#7 Post by MegP60+ »

Thanks for the advice. I did call my dentist's office and try to reschedule, but it wasn't possible within a reasonable time (my favourite hygienist only works part time). I will go ahead and hope for the best and will report back!