Braced 4/22!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

leannaaker

Braced 4/22!

#1 Post by leannaaker »

So, I am the adult case where I rejected surgery, and am going for compromise treatment. My upper jaw is placed correctly, lower jaw is too small. 2 orthodontists recommended surgery, and I was unwilling.

So...after some research, I rejected extractions (would change my profile too much), and I was braced yesterday with In Ovation C, self-ligating brackets on the top. Bottoms to come when my upper right incisor moves forward enough

[img]http://www.akerfamily.com/teeth41.jpg{/img]

First 2 days teeth have been tender, but nothing too terrible. Ate some soup, highly recommend the waterpik (amazing amount of stuff comes out of the braces with it). Still invesitgating good flosssing alternatives. I'm a freak about oral hygiene!!!!

So far I'm excited and wishing I had done this years ago.[/img]

leannaaker

#2 Post by leannaaker »

Oops, tooth pic, must troubleshoot sig file:

catgyrl

#3 Post by catgyrl »

HI LEANNA!!! :-1

I was hoping you'd post your story here, too. I'm so glad that your first couple of days haven't been too painful. We're about in the same boat - it was tender, but not unbearable at all.

Your brackets are so pretty and white as are your teeth. I had to whitestrip my teeth a couple weeks before, but now that I've been "off the peroxide", they're back to their normal off-white color. :lol:

As for the flossing - have you tried any of the threaded flosses? I'm swearing by Crest Glide floss threaders (just bought 6 boxes of it from WalMart - wiped out their supply). My bottom teeth are SUPER-DUPER pushed together, and it's the only thing I can remotely get in there to do the trick. (Well, except for behind the new molar band - still working on how to floss that one. I was kinda hoping if I couldn't get floss in there, then maybe no food could get in there, too. haha)

You will be amazed at the little improvements you see, and if you're like me, you may even focus on improvements in areas you didn't even consider a problem in the first place.

(Waiting for my friend to mail me her Waterpik.....) I definitely could've used it today.

-Cathy

leannaaker

#4 Post by leannaaker »

Hi again Cathy!!! :-1

I just bought some crest glide floss, and some superfloss, and I have some "flossfish" on order. I'm trying to figure out what will work for me! The regular blue loop floss threaders are a pain. Blah.

And you will *love* the Waterpik. I'm flossing once a day, so I view the Waterpik as my floss throughout the rest of the day. It is amazing!!!!

jensceana73

#5 Post by jensceana73 »

Just wanted to drop in and say CONGRADULATIONS :dance: on getting braces. Love the pics...so nice to see peoples pictures and all of the changes. Can't wait to see yours in the future. Good Luck!!
If God wanted me to have straight teeth, he would have made my parents rich..or so I was told....

Click Image to view my SAGA

leannaaker

#6 Post by leannaaker »

Thanks you guys! Really can't believe I waited this long. Dental phobia and all. This isn't so bad:

Update Day 5:

--The only thing that is still tender about my teeth involves ripping or tearing actions. Tried to rip a piece of a calzone today with my teeth. Kinda hurt.

--Archwire already popped out of my gnarly set-back tooth. They put a steel tie on it until my next adjustment. Easy 10 minute stop.

--The Waterpik is the perfect "pre-brushing" tool. You really shouldn't live without one.

--These brackets have not irritated the insides of my cheeks at all. Don't know if it is mouth that is responsible or the brackets, but in case it is the later, I have the In Ovation C brackets. They've been great!

leannaaker

#7 Post by leannaaker »

later=latter, oops. :-)

catgyrl

#8 Post by catgyrl »

I'm so glad you're coping well with your new "hardware". I think you lucked out with the lack of bracket-rubbing. Don't be surprised if a sore pops up here and there once your teeth really start to move. Just use the wax and you will be just fine.

... Still waiting for my waterpik... Think I'll have to call my friend tomorrow morning to see if she mailed it. I was eating something on my "no-no" list (very slowly and carefully), and I sure could've used it.

The pain from ripping/tearing food is very normal. I find that after over 2 weeks, I still can't tear into food with my front teeth alone, so I have to grip the food (sandwich, for example), and then move it around with my hands until it tears. Hey - whatever works, right?

I popped a bracket, too! Well, it just didn't want to stick onto my porcelain crown, so I got it re-glued. You're right - it was very quick.

I think our own minds are our worst enemies sometimes. I detest going to the dentist, even for cleanings - yet I find my self rather excited to see the ortho to get new things done to move this process along.

I'm really glad you're in such great spirits - a positive attitude will get us far in this journey!

-Cathy

leannaaker

#9 Post by leannaaker »

So check out the difference from 4/22 to 6/7. Wow!!!

Image[/img]

catgyrl

#10 Post by catgyrl »

WOW!!!!!!

I am floored! That is amazing progress, leanna!! Seriously... you should be over the moon with how your teeth look. Knowing how hesitant you were leading up to getting braced, this must be a huge relief to know that it wasn't all for nothing. Girl, you may have started out with a slightly larger overjet than me... but yours have moved, whereas mine look almost no different from the day I got my braces on 2 months ago. I'm going to have to actually break down and ASK my ortho next week if he sees any progress. Aside from my bottom two teeth coming forward a bit, I see no change. I'm almost hoping I get a big ole' powerchain across the front and left side to start closing my gap. :lol:

Congrats again!!!!! When do you get the bottom braces on?

leannaaker

#11 Post by leannaaker »

I am super thrilled. To think where I will be in a few months, maybe with some IPR. YAY! Thanks for the positive votes...I am thrilled!

They said my wire was still active, so they didn't change anything!!!!

Will post more as things happe.

leannaaker

#12 Post by leannaaker »

By the way, I see progress in your teeth..we're all different.....

Dilema

#13 Post by Dilema »

hello

keep us updated

we wont to see progreeeessss :lol: