Catgyrl's (Cathy's) Journey at age 42...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catgyrl

#61 Post by catgyrl »

Thank you, ladies!

I can see improvement in my bottom arch, but the top one still looks funky (although much better now that the hole is closing up). I can't wait to see how it'll look in 4 more weeks at my next adjustment. :D

Is it weird to say that I'm kind of excited to get powerchains, so I can get this gap closed? I think he waited until my gap healed a bit more, so at least I know he's not a sadist. haha Sorry to hear about the pokey wire - mine was on the left, too. A day with the wax seems to have cleared that up, though.

Hope you both are doing well!!

-Cathy

cosmo

#62 Post by cosmo »

Under Construction wrote:Cosmo, I'm glad I'm not alone! It does make me wonder if I'm having uneven gap closage.

Closage? I make up words all the time.
so do I should have my own dictionary lol.

well as long as wire is collecting back there i feel content knowning they are doing something. :)

My Brace Story:
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
1st Adjustment: 6/12/10-wire .014, top n bottom

follow my blog @ http://www.honneyinthesun.com

mikesmile

#63 Post by mikesmile »

Hi Cathy :D

Congrats on your progress and on getting your new wires / brackets. They look great!...and your bottom teeth do show some progress. Keep up the good work...I love your attitude, by the way.

Your comment about the power chains...I don't think it's weird. I can't wait to have them either. All in good time, I guess. The unexpected is part of the fun with this ortho trip. :lol: It's so interesting the different treatment plans of everyone here. It's far from "cookie cutter".

I noticed that your brackets don't seem to have hooks of any kind attached to them. I'm sure you'll eventually wear elastics during your treatment. I'm wondering how your ortho will attach these?

Second Time In Braces - Estimate 12-14 Months

catgyrl

#64 Post by catgyrl »

Hi Mike-

I was wondering the same thing, too (about the hooks/elastics). I know for sure I'll have elastics. My top-back molars do have hooked brackets. Here's a pic:

My lower-back brackets (the ones stuck to the sides of the molar bands) look like they are traditional brackets (the kind you put ligs around). I'm including a pic here:

I know they can attach powerchains to those, but can they put elastics on them, too? Doesn't look like it. I think I'd be either eating them, or snapping the inside of my mouth constantly. :( I highly doubt he'll be changing those brackets, as they're attached to the bands. UNLESS... he plans to bracket the very, very last molars (2nd molars) somewhere down the road, in which case that's probably where the hooked brackets will go. I think I asked the tech if they were going to bracket those last ones, and she said, "Not yet."

I have a feeling my ortho marches to the beat of his own drummer. It sounds to me like he made up his mind on what my treatment would be just from the consult; the xrays and molds didn't change his opinion one bit. I'm hoping that it's just because my situation is more "routine" than some others.

I'm really tring hard to keep a positive attitude about all this. Bring it on - I'm ready!! :D

-Cathy

HeyBuckey!

Ola!!!

#65 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Hey Catgyrl,

I for two was extremely excited when I got my powerchains. I waited a whole month and a half to get those powerchains after I got my teeth removed! I think mostly because my sister called me snaggle tooth and I felt awkward smiling :oops:. I think they do wait for them to heal pretty well because like I said...my extraction holes were pretty gnarly looking although they felt great! I wish I could see your pics, but since I can't I'll wait until go home and check it out! I have so see these hookless brackets :).
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Upper row braced 9/23/2009
Lower row braced 10/5/2009
Molar banded 11/16/2009
Final Eval/Braces Removal 4/10/2012
Sentence: 24-30 Months
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =heybuckey

catgyrl

#66 Post by catgyrl »

HeyBuckey!

I swear... if I find out they put the wrong brackets on my lower molar bands, and that they have to be changed, I will scream, AND be most upset. After all I went through to get those darn things on in the first place, only to have to remove them and start all over... :x The lower ("hookless") brakets look just like regular ones that they put ligs around. I sure wish he had an email account I could use to ask him routine/non-urgent questions. I hate bothering the receptionist. Hey! I just remembered I do have an email address he used when he emailed me pics from my consult. Wonder if I should give that a try? I know he's going to think "Man, this girl is IMPATIENT as all get out!"

Yep, about 6 weeks after extraction is when I'm going back for my adjustment and HOPEFULLY powerchains. I know my gap will be well healed by then. I can barely get the tip of my tongue in there now. haha

(I just noticed how much extra bonding they used on the upper, hooked bracket! It hangs off the bottom of the tooth. No wonder I have problems chewing on that side!!)

HeyBuckey!

Interesting...

#67 Post by HeyBuckey! »

If they did put the wrong brackets on, go in there and raise HADES!!! It works for me :lol:. The good thing is it doesn't even take that long to undo and replace brackets. Well... that depends on who's doing it of course. On one of my posts I mentioned the evil long incisor. They had to rebracket a few of my teeth so everything would line up. I thought they would only have to adjust the bracket for the right tooth because honestly I liked the long tooth. It would make my vicious canines look less like kujos. Instead they shortened my teeth :(. Anywho.

He may say you're impatient but if it concerns you, you have a right to receive a logical answer from the Ortho's office since you're paying them for their services. Buckey can get downright mean sometimes :P.

Not too much longer and you'll experience the tug of a powerchain. Those things are awesome!

That extra glue is no fun. Hanging bracket? Now I'll have to check your pictures out again! :)

I can see why the doc only pulled one tooth. If you look at your upper arch its kind of slanted kind of like a clockwise flipped /. If they pulled both teeth you may end up with an under bite.
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Upper row braced 9/23/2009
Lower row braced 10/5/2009
Molar banded 11/16/2009
Final Eval/Braces Removal 4/10/2012
Sentence: 24-30 Months
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =heybuckey

mikesmile

#68 Post by mikesmile »

Thanks for the look at your back brackets and hooks. I am curious what your ortho will do when it's elastic time. It does seem like he would save work having all your hooks in place to begin with, unless he has another idea. It's funny how we're all becoming amateur orthodontists here. :lol:

What you mentioned about your ortho marching to the beat of his own drummer...I believe my ortho is much the same. At my treatment plan appointment - before he had any x-rays, molds or impressions yet - I asked him right out "Don't you have to have my molds before you know what my treatment plan will be?" He said "No, I already know what I'm going to do from the initial consult and photos that I took of your mouth. The molds are only a formality...I don't look at them, really, until the end." Now maybe both our treatment plans are that routine. ..or maybe the orthos are really that adept. 8) Anyway, I feel like I'm in good hands. How 'bout you?

Looking forward to power chains - and the closing of gaps!

Mike

cosmo

#69 Post by cosmo »

are powerchains just used to close gaps?

My Brace Story:
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
1st Adjustment: 6/12/10-wire .014, top n bottom

follow my blog @ http://www.honneyinthesun.com

mikesmile

#70 Post by mikesmile »

I think power chains may also be used to open up space where teeth fit together too tightly. I'm planning to ask my ortho that very question at my next appointment.
Anyone else ?

catgyrl

#71 Post by catgyrl »

HeyBuckey!:

You are a feisty little thing, aren't you? I likey!! Can I bring you with me on my next ortho visit? I'll even spring for your airfare to Hawaii. I don't know why I get so intimidated when I get in there. I guess it's because my ortho has a rather stern demeanor... but I think it's because his wife is the office manager; they're all a bit scared of her (even HIM!), and were all told - under no uncertain terms - that there is to be no joking/kidding around in the workplace. That's so wrong. Of all places, this should be ONE where fun is allowed. They inflict enough pain on us as it is, right? They do have movies and games for the kids and stuff. But it sounds like all business in the examining room. The last time I was there, I commented (purposely, VERY loudly) "It sure is QUIET in here!!" I was met with even more silence. Then I added, "Well, I guess except for ME, huh?" Their receptionist is an absolute DOLL, so I want to see if I can pull her aside and ask what's up. I (again, very loudly, - yes, I am LOUD!) thanked her profusely for all the help she's given me over the phone during the million and one times I've called. I wanted them to know she was FAB, and I think she knew what I was getting at because she, too, answered rather loudly, "It's our pleasure! Call us anytime and we're glad to help you!" I think she does adjustments, so I'm hoping to get her next time. Then I know I can ask all the questions I want.

Or, maybe I'll just be brave and asked "Are we allowed to smile and joke around in here, or do I have to put my "serious hat" on?"

Mike:

I sent an email (asking about how he intends to do the elastics) to the address the ortho used when he sent me my initial pics, so we'll see if he responds to that. I'm not counting on it, and since it's not an urgent problem, I can just wait until my next visit on 6/17.

I've been sick for the past week, so my daily obsession with staring at my teeth has gone by the wayside. I finally took a good look at them today, and noticed that the lower front ones are DEFINITELY being pulled forward, but now they're uneven and look kinda funny. I think I'm in the "looks worse before it gets better" stage. I think they're "forward" enough, but now they need to be turned a bit to round out the arch. (Haha - watch me end up with an underbite before this is all over!)

As much as I sound like I'm complaining about my ortho, it really has nothing to do with his expertise; more like his "chairside manner". His plan hasn't changed from day one, like you, when he only had the consult and photos to look at. I snuck in a quick question last time (as I always try to do!), and asked if the treatment plan had changed since he got my molds and xrays, and he said "Nope; everything's the same." So, I think I'm in good hands, too. :D

catgyrl

2-Month Update (6/9/10)

#72 Post by catgyrl »

2-MONTH UPDATE

I know I haven’t posted in a while… simply because there wasn’t anything of interest to post. :D I go in next week Friday, 6/18, for my 2nd adjustment, but I thought I’d go ahead and take some photos to check on my progress over the past 2 months.

Bottom arch: This is where I see the most change, and even though I can’t replicate the exact camera angle as the ortho’s office did way back at the end of March (without swallowing my camera!), I can get close enough to see that the bottom arch is, indeed, rounding out. Those two front teeth have definitely been pulled forward, and now just need to rotate a bit so the top edges don’t look like a “v”. I also see the dreaded “little black triangle” between the two front teeth (not visible here).

Top arch: (Same deal with the camera angle – can’t replicate it without eating my camera lens!) Not too much change, but I do notice my left central incisor is not quite as flared out as it was. The “cavern” is healing very nicely. And… yeah, that’s about it for the top arch. LOL!

Left and right view: I do notice that the two central incisors aren’t quite as flared out as they were. And again… yeah, that’s about it! LOL!

Overjet/Overbite: Looks like it’s narrowing very, very slightly. It may just be the camera angle, or my vivid imagination (and wishful thinking), but to me, my smile seems wider than it was before. I can see more teeth now! (Personally, I LOVE wide smiles. I think Julia Roberts has the most beautiful smile.)

As impatient as I am, overall I’m very pleased with how things are going. It’s so funny to wake up with random sore/loose teeth. This morning it was my upper left canine. It felt like I’d been biting down on it all night. But now, 6 hours later, it feels fine. Go figure…

As strange as this may sound, I cannot wait until I get my chain, or whatever he decides to use to start closing up the gap. :) I’ll write another update after my adjustment next week.

mikesmile

#73 Post by mikesmile »

Congrats on your 2 month mark!!! Doesn't the time just fly? Things are looking good. Your teeth look so white - not like mine - I'm a heavy coffee drinker. What's your secret? Your smile does look wider...nice! I love big wide smiles, too. :wink: Keep up the good work!!!

Mike

catgyrl

#74 Post by catgyrl »

Thanks, Mike! :D

Trust me... my teeth are not white, at all. I don't drink coffee, but I drink soda every day. I tried to switch to non-colored ones like Sprite and Sierra Mist but... not the same. My secret is: Take the photo right after you brush your teeth! LOL! It might be the bright flash that makes them look whiter, too. I use Colgate with Baking Soda and Peroxide toothpaste in the morning and at noon (and a fluoride one my ortho prescribed at night), and that seems to remove the surface stains temporarily - until I drink a soda; then they come right back.

I experienced my first huge brace snafu yesterday. I decided to join a gym and the trainer was showing me an exercise. Well, my mouth was drier than usual due to the cold that I'm getting over. I started to respond to her question, when I felt my cheek get completely impaled by my poking wire in the back!! I'm not talking a poke... I'm talking STABBING and HOOKING onto my cheek so that I had to use 2 hands to unhook it. I tried to laugh it off, and she asked, "Did you forget your wax this morning?" OWWWW!!!!

msbee

#75 Post by msbee »

Your teeth are lovely! The arch is rounding out so nicely!

It's funny you brought up Julia Roberts, I was just thinking the other day: what is it that makes her smile so distinctive? Is it because her lips stretch very far laterally to show her teeth? Or is it that her arch is flatter than usual, so she shows more teeth? (Not sure if I described it well, when I say flat I mean that her arch isn't as curved?)
My teeth were sentenced on 7th May 2010 to be imprisoned for 2 years.
What they did behind bars: My braces story
Finishing wire on since 4th October
Debraced June 2011!!