Catgyrl's (Cathy's) Journey at age 42...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catgyrl

#31 Post by catgyrl »

Great! As long as you can feel things, progress is being made. Can you imagine what it would feel like if the wires weren't moving so slowly? You'd be sitting in the middle of work when all of a sudden your tooth moved into its proper place and, "OWWW!!!!" and various other curses would come out... :lol:

cosmo

#32 Post by cosmo »

OUCH!!!

My Brace Story:
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
1st Adjustment: 6/12/10-wire .014, top n bottom

follow my blog @ http://www.honneyinthesun.com

catgyrl

#33 Post by catgyrl »

WEEK 3: SO LONG... FAREWELL...

No, I'm not leaving on a vacation... or taking a break from the ArchWired boards... I am bidding a fond adeiu and Aloha to a very special friend. She's been with me for a good 30+ years, and will be leaving this world a mere 25 hours from now. Please join me in bidding a fond farewell to my lonely unbracketed top-left first premolar:

I shall miss her terribly. But I know she'll be going to a better place where she won't have to deal with the myriad of sticky, hard foods I love to eat (Sugar Babies!!!) And I know she will be in good company with various other Board members' "friends".

(Think this is strange? This is all BEFORE I get my laughing gas, guys!!!)

cosmo

#34 Post by cosmo »

You have beautiful colored teeth :)

My Brace Story:

catgyrl

#35 Post by catgyrl »

cosmo wrote:You have beautiful colored teeth :)
Thank you. I had to read your comment a couple of times to make sure I read it correctly. I hope you meant that my teeth were a nice "white-ish" color... right? I was going to be a smart aleck and ask you "What color?" They're really not white - I think it's the flash of the camera. I can't wait until I get these off so I can get them professionally whitened. :D

cosmo

#36 Post by cosmo »

catgyrl wrote:
cosmo wrote:You have beautiful colored teeth :)
Thank you. I had to read your comment a couple of times to make sure I read it correctly. I hope you meant that my teeth were a nice "white-ish" color... right? I was going to be a smart aleck and ask you "What color?" They're really not white - I think it's the flash of the camera. I can't wait until I get these off so I can get them professionally whitened. :D
lol i could understand the confusion lol.

I definetly meant the whitness it's beautiful! I can't wait to have my teeth like yours :)

My Brace Story:

loradora

#37 Post by loradora »

May your molar meet my #25 tooth in the hereafter. I miss you 25. :(

catgyrl

#38 Post by catgyrl »

loradora wrote:May your molar meet my #25 tooth in the hereafter. I miss you 25. :(
Amen....

catgyrl

[size=18]Okay, I am officially one tooth less today.[/size]

#39 Post by catgyrl »

All done!

All my worry and anxiety were all for nothing (as usual). Doc looked at my xray and my teeth and said, “Oh, this should be a piece of cake.” He also said that as long as I had some ibuprofen at home, that should be all I need for pain, as this is a pretty straight-forward extraction. So, no narcotics for me. :( I reminded him that I had requested the nitrous oxide (woo hoo!), so he made me sign a release form (in case I went to another world and never returned), and we began. I told him “If I say anything strange, don’t pay me any mind…”

I had the nitrous mask on for about 15 seconds when I started thinking “Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea,” because I was feeling a little bit claustrophobic with that thing on my face. Well… that feeling lasted about 5 more seconds before I went off to my happy place. Don’t as me where it was… but it was GREAT! :-9 I could hear the doc and his assistant talking, but it was echo-y, like they were in a tunnel. He came back in after a couple minutes, shot me up with the novocaine, and waited another couple of minutes before starting.

I swear to God… it was literally: Wiggle, wiggle, crack… tooth out! Probably took him about 15 seconds total!! NO!!!! I wasn’t ready to come back from my happy place!! All then all of a sudden I was back on earth with gauze stuffed in mouth, handing over my credit card. I didn’t even have time to say anything strange to him - Darn!

I may feel differently later, but at this point, I was glad he hadn’t prescribed anything I’d have to pick up at the pharmacy, because from the time I left his office to the time I got to my car (give or take 2 minutes), my gauze was completely soaked. The parking lot attendant sure got an eyeful when I left.

I am now at home with a bag of frozen peas on my completely numb cheek. I can’t feel anything from my upper lip all the way up to under my eye, so I hope it’s doing its thing. Crossing my fingers I don’t end up with a lot of swelling and pain.

Funny side note: Their office just went through some renovation, which I guess included their sound system. They just opened the other day and were trying to get it to work, and the only music they could get to play was… CARRIE UNDERWOOD! Same thing happened today. From how the assistant was talking, she would rather have her teeth pulled than listen to Carrie Underwood all day again. I told her “That’s okay – I’ll do it instead.”

catgyrl

#40 Post by catgyrl »

Okay, I guess I'll chat with myself here for a bit... :wink:

Extraction healing is going extremely well. Site still has a big hole in it, but my gums are starting to itch a bit, so I'm assuming that's the healing process. I've had absolutely, positively NO pain or swelling whatsoever. I'm crossing my fingers that tomorrow, my ortho will agree to give me a new wire that stretches across the gap so we can finally get these uppers moving. Of course, that's AFTER he puts on my other molar band. I think it's a new record that I was able to keep my two spacers in here for 2 FULL WEEKS without (a) them falling out, or (b) my eating them with my lunch.

Wish I didn't have to wait this long to get fully wired, but my oral surgeon's office was closed for renovation when I got braced, so I had to wait for them to reopen.

Wish me luck! :)

-Cathy

mikesmile

#41 Post by mikesmile »

Hey Cathy 8)

Congrats on your successful extraction. Sounds like you heal well...

Good luck with getting your new wire. Mine was bumped up on the 2nd adjustment. My wire also runs through a plastic tube where I'm missing my upper left second premolar. In my case it's to act as a spacer because when I'm done with braces, I'll be getting an implant there. Thank god, I hate chewing on that side. In your case I think the ortho's closing the space, right?

It sounds like you've adjusted pretty well this last month. I meant to tell you when you posted your first pics after braces that they look cute on you. Smile with confidence!

Second Time in Braces. Estimate 12-14 Months

cosmo

#42 Post by cosmo »

wow, i am so gladd you're healing so pleasantly I have heard some very scary story about extractions I hope when I get my wisdoms pulled out that I heal like you. I am not sure when I'll have to have them extracted though my ortho said sometime next year though :)

My Brace Story:

catgyrl

#43 Post by catgyrl »

Hi Mike! :D

Thank you very much for your kind words. Hey, I'll take "cute" at 42 years old ANY day!

Isn't it cool the things they think of to use on us? Coils, tubes, bands configured every which way? Maybe MacGyver should've been an orthodontist - he would've been a great one, though I can only imagine what our mouths would look like, with all his "contraptions" in there. :lol:

I think I was supposed to get the bottom wire changed 2 weeks ago when they put the first molar band on, but he said he didn't want any excess pressure on that band just yet, especially since they had such a hard time getting it in, and also the other side wasn't yet banded. Maybe he'll change it this afternoon. Yes, my gap is to be CLOSED! Even though it's not too noticeable, I hate having to eat on the other side of my mouth and constantly squirt water in there to clean it out.

Cosmo - Don't worry too much about your wisdoms. If they're already erupted, they shouldn't be too hard to get out. If they're not, you still may not have any problems. I had all 4 of mine taken out a while ago, and my right side was completely fine. I was eating saimin (ramen noodles) that evening. My left lower side did get infected, but I think that was because I didn't follow the instructions I was given. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! haha

cosmo

#44 Post by cosmo »

only one is errupted and one is empacted and the other two are not out yet :( I am going to be in pain for sure.

My Brace Story:

catgyrl

#45 Post by catgyrl »

cosmo wrote:only one is errupted and one is empacted and the other two are not out yet :( I am going to be in pain for sure.
Mine were ALL impacted - all 4 of them! Like I said, 3 of them were no problem whatsoever, and only one became infected (my lower-left one). But I've heard that dry socket/infections are more common in the lower wisdom extractions than the uppers. Don't sweat it! :)