DrBlur's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DrBlur

DrBlur's story

#1 Post by DrBlur »

Well even though I don't even get spacers until tomorrow, I've decided I'd like to join in and share my experience. So I'll use this first post to describe what's going on...

I'm a 30 yr old male who has good teeth...they're straight and healthy (only a few fillings). However, for YEARS I've had problems clenching my teeth at night, sore teeth, awful headaches, sores on my tongue (from the sides always rubbing against my teeth when I talk or swallow), and a tongue thrust. It took until this year for my dentist to finally send me to an orthodontist. It turns out my problems are all interrelated:

- My open bite is caused by the tongue thrusting (which I think I have under control now)
- Because only 3 teeth ever touch when I bite down, those three teeth have developed small cracks over the last 2 years
- Because my palate and lower jaw are too small/narrow, my tongue rubs against my teeth and is always really sore
- The increased pressure on those few teeth has led to headaches

I've managed to tune out the constant dull ache/pain in my mouth for years, but now I'm finally going to do something about it. So I'm getting braces and getting some minor oral surgery as well. My timeline is: spacers tomorrow, consult with oral surgeon 3/29, braces 4/2, surgery sometime after, then palate expander. My estimated time in braces is 18-26 months.

I'll try to post some pics along the way (I'm going to take some before pictures tonight before I get the spacers in tomorrow morning) and I welcome any and all input...this is all so new to me and I've already learned so much on here just reading and posting with everyone!
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

gokix

#2 Post by gokix »

Hey DrBlur!

Congrats on taking a huge step to a better smile. Take this time to enjoy eating whatever you'd like, because eating will be a different experience altogether once the spacers are put in! It's a weird feeling to have spacers stuck between your teeth. The discomfort should pass in about a week or so, but for some it's sooner and others longer. Looking forward to your story and good luck tomorrow! :)

DrBlur

#3 Post by DrBlur »

Thanks for the kind wishes! I had steak and baked potato for dinner tonight and am having some ice cream with goop and chunks of goodies in it (I think Snickers ice cream, a treat!) tonight because I know starting tomorrow it'll be soup and yogurt! :lol:

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

loradora

#4 Post by loradora »

Hi DrBlur and good luck. I'm also new to the game, but didn't have to do the spacers thing. I did have a tooth extracted, though. :cry:

DrBlur

#5 Post by DrBlur »

Got the spacers this morning and so far (2 hours) it's been OK...a tiny bit of soreness and the annoyance of having something stuck in there, but not NEARLY as bad as I thought! I'm taking it easy, though, with soft foods for lunch and dinner

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

gokix

#6 Post by gokix »

Good to hear the spacers are not causing too much discomfort! I have had 8 spacers and was going bonkers because of the pain. I imagine it was because my lowers were incredibly crowded. Not to mention I lost a bit of weight, that part I didn't mind all that much! But I got used to those evil spacers, lol, so will you! Until next time... remember to smile! :)

DrBlur

#7 Post by DrBlur »

Yeah they aren't too bad although they're causing a bit of an ache right now, not too bad. I just got a call from my ortho to clear up my treatment plan and it looks like in 2 weeks I get banded and impressions taken for my expander, THEN 2 weeks after that I get braces and expander at the same time...NOW it all make sense!

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

DrBlur

#8 Post by DrBlur »

Well I spoke too soon...starting right around the time I went to bed last night, these buggers HURT! Today I'm sore and tender...lots of Advil and cold drinks!

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

DrBlur

#9 Post by DrBlur »

gokix wrote:Good to hear the spacers are not causing too much discomfort! I have had 8 spacers and was going bonkers because of the pain. I imagine it was because my lowers were incredibly crowded. Not to mention I lost a bit of weight, that part I didn't mind all that much! But I got used to those evil spacers, lol, so will you! Until next time... remember to smile! :)
I ended up with 12 spacers (4 on each side on top, 2 on each side on bottom) because my teeth are very tight (even flossing used to be tough) and I'm getting an expander (hence the extra ones on top). It is day 5 now of having them and while my teeth are still a bit sore and tender, it's not too bad now. I still feel like I have something stuck in between my teeth but I am almost used to having them in there. Still eating soft foods but it's not as painful...even biting down only has a little bit of pain. Still, I will be VERY thankful when these come off next Friday and the molar bands are placed on.

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

DrBlur

#10 Post by DrBlur »

One thing to add...since I have the extra spacers up top, I have them right behind my canines...good GOD do those canines hurt!!! I've also noticed they're sticking forward more now than they ever did, due to the spacers...has anyone else ever experienced this before?

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

DrBlur

#11 Post by DrBlur »

So today is my consultation with the oral surgeon...not sure what to expect in terms of what the procedure's going to be, but looking forward to starting the process...

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

Steph in Sac

#12 Post by Steph in Sac »

Good luck!

BracketRacket

#13 Post by BracketRacket »

I recently consulted with an OS for SARPE, but won't be getting braces 3 months after the surgery -- I'm curious to hear about your experiences, too -- seems you're doing things more the "normal" way.

Good luck!

DrBlur

#14 Post by DrBlur »

So I'm going to be having a procedure called RPE or Rapid Palatal Expansion, which will take place after I get my braces and expander put in on the 16th. Basically he's going to cut into my palate above me teeth and then, from above, cut my palate in half, and then stitch me up. The surgeon will also give the expander it's first turn, so he said I'd have a gap in my top front teeth after the surgery (I've NEVER had gaps in my teeth ever). It'll be done in the hospital and will require one overnight for observation. They took impressions of my teeth yesterday to send to my insurance for approval. So they'll call me when they get approval to schedule it, sometime after the 16th...fun times ahead! :lol:

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

DrBlur

#15 Post by DrBlur »

BracketRacket wrote:I recently consulted with an OS for SARPE, but won't be getting braces 3 months after the surgery -- I'm curious to hear about your experiences, too -- seems you're doing things more the "normal" way.

Good luck!
Is it more normal to have the braces first and then the SARPE?

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12