BracketRacket's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracketRacket

BracketRacket's story

#1 Post by BracketRacket »

Hi guys -- "pre-newbie," just want to share my story.

I've always had a small mouth and knew I would need braces, but didn't get anything done for a few reasons -- you know how that goes! Anyway, I'm 24 now, and my dentist really feels now is the time, since my front teeth are starting to show a little bit of wear from the misaligned bite. I also have a baby tooth that never fell out (a premolar, I think, I'm still learning!), with no adult tooth under it, so when that falls out (she feels there isn't much root left), my teeth would shift anyway. I also have some TMJ issues, but mostly just popping and occasional pain.

I went for a consult on Dec. 17, 2009 aaaaaand

Apparently I have lots of stuff goin' on! :lol: Crowding, crossbite, the works -- not sure if I have an over or underbite, it kinda depends on how exactly I bite down, you know what I mean? :wink: My arch on top is waaay narrow, so my top teeth basically sit inside the bottom if I let them, especially towards the back. The ortho wants me to consult with an oral surgeon, but I'm not quite sure if I'm up to that :shock:

However, he did say that that would be "ideal" and we certainly can do lots to work around it without surgery. He also tossed around extractions and other fixes, but of course until we do the next consult, I won't know exactly what different options I have. Now that I'm learning a lot more here (thanks guys!), I'm curious to know exactly what the specific issues are, too.

I'm basically looking at health issues vs. cosmetic issues. When I'm done, I'm sure my teeth will look nicer, which will be great, but I really want them to be healthier, aligned in a way that's not going to wear them down by the time I'm 40, alleviate jaw issues and avoid the other problems that the crowding is causing (harder to floss, more cavities, etc).

I'm anxiously awaiting my next appointment on Jan. 21, and hopefully we can get started!

BracketRacket

#2 Post by BracketRacket »

Thanks, Ken!
I've seen a lot of your posts across the forum -- lots of great information!

mikesmile

#3 Post by mikesmile »

Hi BracketRacket :D

Congrats for taking the pro-active first steps. That's such a good point you bring up about health issues v. aesthetics. You want to make sure all your issues are addressed properly the first time. My case is a good example of that. Because of incorrect alignment, I have a lot of long term damage despite having worn braces for 2-1/2 years in my twenties. Now everything has to be fixed: braces to finally correct alignment, an implant and crowns.
The damage is easier to fix before it ever happens. :wink:

Good luck getting started. I'll be by to visit.....

BracketRacket

#4 Post by BracketRacket »

Thanks! Certainly will update after my appointment tomorrow (today -- see what happens you work nights? :roll: ), and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions, too!

Good luck to you!

BracketRacket

#5 Post by BracketRacket »

:( Long story short, surgery's not "ideal" but necessary. Will update more later. I'm bummed...

BracketRacket

#6 Post by BracketRacket »

Sorry for the poor quality -- photos of photos in bad light!
It's weird when I look at these, because I don't feel like they look like my teeth. Also, to some extent, they didn't feel natural when they were taking them because they would be like "bite down" and my response would be "how?!?" My bite is always different, I have to concentrate to bite down on my left or right side on cue -- I guess the jaw size inequity is a good reason! Like, none of these feel like my "true" bite or what my mouth does at rest. Although I supposed photos don't lie! The giant filling on the left side is a baby tooth that supposedly had the equivalent of a root canal quite a few years ago -- the rest of the fillings are all me, although I'm sure the crowding doesn't help ) I promise I take much better care of my teeth now!

Eeek!

BracketRacket

#7 Post by BracketRacket »

I'm getting a bit frustrated lately..I feel like I want to move forward and get things going (especially before I chicken out!) but things keep getting in the way.
Like...

viewtopic.php?t=34741&highlight=

Totally bogus. I can't help but think that every bit of delay means I shouldn't actually it persue it, especially the surgery.

Just getting bummed...

cosmo

#8 Post by cosmo »

Don't let things like that get you down. I ran through some speed bumps too like 8 cavities and a root canal totalling up to about $3,000 dollars. Then my brace came out to $5,300 and they wanted a $1,00 deposit when their website said no deposits needed and i brought that up and they acted dumb saying they didn't know it said that it was so irrating. It brought me down but i kept trying and trying. So now i have the money and my 4 wisdom teeth don't have to be pulled out until towards the end. :) so please don't give up think of how happy and beautiful your smile will be. You've gotten this far so keep going.

My Brace Story:
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
1st Adjustment: 6/12/10-wire .014, top n bottom

follow my blog @ http://www.honneyinthesun.com

BracketRacket

#9 Post by BracketRacket »

Thanks cosmo :D

cosmo

#10 Post by cosmo »

Kepp us posted!

My Brace Story:

cheyeaitsxchelsea

#11 Post by cheyeaitsxchelsea »

Discuss it with your Ortho/Dentist. I know that before every step I have to get authorization from the insurance company. Every little thing! including xrays. So it takes weeks and stuff. I bet they will be willing to work with you and such.

Youre going to have such a lovely smile!

BracketRacket

#12 Post by BracketRacket »

Thanks!

I guess that's part of what's bothering me, too...the surgery will be done before braces, and then I need to wait three months before the brackets will be placed (the OS is going to use a bone-borne expander and from what I understand, it will be removed before the brackets are placed.) I'm trying to find out whether the bottom brackets can be placed before the three months are up, but I have a feeeling not. So basically, I'm in a complete holding pattern while everything gets straightened out -- just want to get started! Not looking forward to the surgery, expander, removal (needs novacaine to be done!), etc, etc, but just want to feel like I'm moving forward...

cosmo

#13 Post by cosmo »

But you are moving forward. Maybe not in the way that hope but you are it's better to do it right then waste time and money trust me in the end it will be oh so worth it :)

My Brace Story:

BracketRacket

#14 Post by BracketRacket »

Appeal round 2! Grr...I'm kinda of annoyed at the OS's office with how they handled the first appeal, so I'm trying to be a lot more hands on this time. If the surgery gets denied again, then I have to wait at least 6 months.

I'm tempted to talk with my ortho and see if we can start the bottom braces. He said without SARPE he may be able to fix the bottom a bit (not fix the crossbite, of course) but deal with the crowding, so I'm kind of curious if we can start now -- that way, if the appeal is denied, at least we're working on something meantime. I guess it also depends on whether the OS will want to operate with the bottom brackets in place if the surgery is appoved (fingers crossed!). Ugh...

DrBlur

#15 Post by DrBlur »

^I'm currently waiting for authorization from insurance before the OS schedules my SARPE surgery, but I was told by my ortho and others that this OS office almost always gets authorization (they have connections, I've heard) so it's a wait and see thing. I hope you have better luck this time!
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12