BracketRacket's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracketRacket

Re: BracketRacket's story

#106 Post by BracketRacket »

(Hope the pic turns out OK and not giant, trying something new!)

Why is it that the braces make everything look 1000 times "worse"? Haha...I knew the bottoms wouldn't be pretty, but sheesh!
I have a bumper on the front, where the wonky incisor is so far back that it's not included in the wire...I have a bad feeling about that tooth and extraction, hope I'm wrong!
I wasn't expecting bumpers for both my second premolars, though. Basically, they are going to be banded (have the spacers now, coming Monday), so they are "naked" and the bumper prevents the loose wire from rubbing. So, with the one on the baby tooth on top, that makes four total!
I also have a powerchain across the front four on top, I'll update soon (another adjustment Monday, want to show the changes before), and now have lovely gaps on either side of that! :lol: I do think the bottoms have straightened a smidgen, too.

Nathaniel, you do sound pretty similar -- I'd be glad to answer any questions! Like I said above, the gaps around the incisors have closed, but now there are gaps between the lateral incisors and my canines -- but I'm sure everything will straighten out in the end. I'll try to get an update pic later today or tomorrow.
At the moment, no plans for my bottom jaw aside from the braces and whatever will happen with the wonky incisor. Hopefully, surgery-wise, SARPE was it for me.

BracketRacket

#107 Post by BracketRacket »

I'm on a roll!

iBorg

#108 Post by iBorg »

With all that movement in such a short time you have had every right to be a bit sensitive. To paraphrase an old saying "There's a whole lot of movement going on."

You're truly showing progress. Stay with it, the end result will be worth it.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

BracketRacket

#109 Post by BracketRacket »

Got a cleaning today, they said everything looks nice and clean! Yay!
Been feeling pretty good lately, I'm sure I'll regret saying that shortly! :lol:

mikesmile

#110 Post by mikesmile »

Hi BracketRacket !

You've had quite a roller coaster ride with your treatment. I feel like mine has been relatively uncomplicated compared with what you've been through so far! Sometimes I'm amazed by the amount of gadgetry employed in one's mouth during all of this :shock: .

Considering your starting point, your results are looking nothing short of spectacular... amazing!

Second Time In Braces - Estimate 12-14 Months

Wore Braces Twice As An Adult .....Finally Happy With the Results
5/85 - 11/87 Metal Braces T/B for 30 Months w/ elastics.
1/22/10 - 4/15/11 Metal Braces Top 15 Months / Bottom 1 Year w/ elastics.
Essex Retainers T/B Full Time, then switched to Night Time.

BracketRacket

#111 Post by BracketRacket »

(Sorry about the image quality, camera battery was dying, so I shot a few pics quickly! And no bottoms! Boo! I'll grab some as soon as I can!

OK, let's see. Where did we leave off?

At my second-to-last adjustment, I got a powerchain across my front four incisors. The spaces on either side of the centrals closed up nicely, leaving my with considerable spaces between the laterals and the canines.

Last time, no powerchain! The front two were steel tied, basically leaving everything else to settle (although if you look closely, there's cool bends on either side, so I feel like it wouldn't have let the laterals move anyhow! I also got an elastic (sniff, my first) on the right side, to try to start bringing the bottoms out and the tops in on that side (that's a nice reverse from the original crossbite! :lol:

I fear that the crooked bottom lateral incisor isn't long for this world! Everything is shaping up nicely around it, though. Ugh....it's getting pushed farther and farther away from its comrades.

Another adjustment tomorrow. No clue what it'll bring! Back to powerchains? More elastics? A "death sentence" for the poor bottom tooth? (I HOPE NOT!) Stay tuned! :crazy:

BracketRacket

#112 Post by BracketRacket »

Ouch man! Long story short (I'll explain soon, promise), I have no wire on the bottom now. And the brackets are ripping the inside of my lip to shreds! :(

BracketRacket

#113 Post by BracketRacket »

Bottom brackets are much better! I had a pin from the non-used elastics poking, but got that taken care of, thank goodness!

BracketRacket

#114 Post by BracketRacket »

Need a bottom central incisor extracted. Not looking forward to it... :-( Kinda bummed. Will try to grab new pics soon!

BracketRacket

#115 Post by BracketRacket »

I have a consultation with an oral surgeon tomorrow to discuss the extraction of my right lower central incisor :shock:
I'm a bit, well not scared, but anxious. About the procedure, about the "fake tooth" afterwards, the results, etc. :(

opera^gal

#116 Post by opera^gal »

Hey BR: I had a central incisor extracted last Sept and the procedure took all of 5 mins from injection to extraction. If you have to get a tooth yanked, it's the easiest as there is only a single root. Depending on what your ortho/oral surgeon decide is best for you, if you need a fake tooth, I highly recommend an implant. I'm almost done with the integration phase, which does take time to complete and I have faith in my *new* dentist to get the fake tooth part right the first time around. Looking at your photos, I wonder if your ortho will close the space left by the extraction and you'll have no need for a fake tooth. Good luck and keep the board posted!
2/2/09: metal braces T/B
8/20/10: braced removed (18mons, 18days), hawley retainers T/B
9/16/10: LR central incisor extracted (failed root canal)
2/23/11: implant/bone graft
9/15/11: implant crown placed, lower lingual bonding corrected
9/21/11: upper bonding on lateral gaps from upper arch forward advancement
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

BracketRacket

#117 Post by BracketRacket »

Yeah, he's going to close the gap -- he said it came down to four premolars or the incisor! I wasn't quite expecting it with the surgery (SARPE), but can't avoid it, I guess!
My extraction is scheduled for 6/22 in the morning. They are planning to use IV sedation -- don't know if it's really necessary, but we'll see, especially if my insurance balks at it.

Eeek.

My ortho is going to create a pontic and shave it down as the gap closes. Will be interesting.

I've been following your implant adventures, opera^gal, because eventually I'm going to need one for an upper premolar (baby tooth with no permanent tooth). Thanks -- I may need your incouragement for the extraction coming up! I know gaps close (trust me, after the SARPE gap!!) but I may have a few freak-out moments! :GapToothed:

opera^gal

#118 Post by opera^gal »

You should look for an older story from *catfish*. She had a central incisor extracted and the gap closed. Also had a molar implant as well. Helpful pictures and story to check out.
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

BracketRacket

#119 Post by BracketRacket »

Thanks opera^gal.
Getting nervous...two days to go.
Here are some pics taken today, haven't posted pics in months! You can see the bottom, the right central incisor, (on right in pic) is the one who's time in this world is nearly up. Will try to get a sharper pic, but you can see the bottom row have gotten crooked-er since the wire was taken out in April. Hopefully they'll straighten out quickly given the new space and the gap will close up.
You can also see the space between my lateral incisors and canines on top --- still space from the SARPE. Hard to see it straight on.

opera^gal

#120 Post by opera^gal »

Hey BR: I have the same spaces on top <between laterals and canines> from forward advancement of my top arch. They've been held in place by a spring retainer, until I get the laterals bonded.
Good luck with the extraction. You'll do great!