Chelsea's Story.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alimommy1

#271 Post by alimommy1 »

I've been reading your story and it's so frustrating that the ins is doing this! I have seen a site that will fabricate retainers - for less than $225, but you have to provide your own models. I can't guarantee anything as I have never used the site lol. Here's a link for it:

http://www.neonbrite.com/retainers.html

I do not understand why your ortho would say he's refusing to give you retainers - I know that if kids have phase 1 treatment when they are young - maybe when they only have a few permanent teeth, they have retainers afterwards during the time they are not in treatment, or have TPAs... or space maintainers, something.

I really am convinced that a lot of insurances suck. I used to bill and collect from insurances and they will find every little loophole to get out of paying claims! They sit on claims for 60 days in order to collect on interest so that paying them out is like pennies on the dollar to them, we all know ins co are NOT BANKRUPT or BROKE!

I don't know if this is an option for you but I started researching discount plans because my primary coverage only offers ortho for dependents under 19 - or 23 if they are still financially dependent and in school full time. It means my daughter is covered but I'M not. The best I found so far is 20% off but that still might be too steep for you. Another option - that won't address the wisdom teeth or impacted canine - is finding out if the new office can fabricate you some type of spring or screw appliances that will keep moving your teeth - slower probably, but again maybe not as expensive and they'd work as retainers as well so you don't relapse.

If you need any help writing appeals or gathering together documentation to make the ins who dropped you suffer, let me know.... I hope you get something sorted out!

cheyeaitsxchelsea

#272 Post by cheyeaitsxchelsea »

Thank you so much Alimommy.

I cancelled the appointment at OSU because it was a consultation to discuss what direction I should go and I know they will mold me reatainers for 225 each. I cant do that right now. OSU does offfer discounted plans but I would still be paying out of my pocket. What Im doing right now is, waiting until I get a job, and then Im going to recieve treatment from OSU. I have no idea when this will be though. Once I get a job, I will buy retainers as soon as I can.

Alimommy-
Im more than likely going to appeal the insurance company. They claim I am still under my fathers income and household when I am not. I moved out to college for 9 months with my own address, I am not financially dependent in anyway. My parents barely give me money to go out. My older sister is my money giver at the moment. The only reason why I am considered financially dependent is because of FAFSA. FAFSA determines dependance by income/job expierence. I have had neither so they automatically assumed I am dependent on my parents. None are true. I was always told I would be covered until I was 21, but I suppose this isnt the case. What Im going to to is appeal, or apply for the insurance under my name.

Im going to try and persude my ortho to make me retainers. I asked him while I was still under my insurance meaning they should be paid for, but he said I wouldnt benefit from them because I wasnt in treatment long enough. Uhmmm has he seen my teeth? they have moved a lot, and have improved greatly. Because of the drop from my insurance I have to wait for my wisdoms to be pulled, and my exposure of my canine. I hate that.

Braced- March 30th 2010.

Estimated time- 18-21 months with cooperation from impacted canine.

cosmo

#273 Post by cosmo »

It's all so messy and I am sorry.

I remember when i had a job and lived away from my parents FASFA stll considered me a dependent it wasn't till my 23 birthday that FASFA considered me independent.

I really hope it works out for you. I don't really know anything aboutinsurance companies so I feel helpless. Sadly, my insurance at work does NOT cover adults with braces. I am paying this out of pocket :(

My Brace Story:
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
1st Adjustment: 6/12/10-wire .014, top n bottom

follow my blog @ http://www.honneyinthesun.com

alimommy1

#274 Post by alimommy1 »

Hi Chelsea :D

I totally understand the stupid FAFSA thing, when my 20 year old step daughter was trying to get financial aid for school she called us and said the college needed OUR information. She lives out of state, on her own! It was very frustrating and I totally disagree with colleges ASSUMING that adult college students are actually physically or financially dependent - and really how could she be with us in CA and her in OK? The school said there was nothing they could do even after I explained that she is NOT dependent on us. After all that, they wouldn't approve her for financial aid because of US. GRRRRRR. Of course I seem to remember the same issue when I was looking into getting aid before I graduated. Even if I had lived on my own at 18, the colleges said they'd count my parents income until I was 23... OR married, or had a child. Heh. My options then were simple, marry somebody or be a single mom or get no aid for college besides student loans I'd be in debt for 6 years after. I think both of those MIGHT have made college even harder not to mention my nightmares about 60K in loans lol.

Do you still have all your paperwork you signed when you started treatment? If you have any paperwork which shows retainers are part of your treatment, then you might have a loophole to catch him with. I might ask my ortho about that when I go - if someone had to halt treatment for any reason would it be customary for them to give you retainers to at least retain your result until you could begin/finish treatment. I am kind of thinking he'll probably back me up on that. Otherwise maybe a general dentist could make you something....? If you explained the situation you're in I don't see how any dentist could just let it go.

alimommy1

#275 Post by alimommy1 »

Hi Chelsea :D

I totally understand the stupid FAFSA thing, when my 20 year old step daughter was trying to get financial aid for school she called us and said the college needed OUR information. She lives out of state, on her own! It was very frustrating and I totally disagree with colleges ASSUMING that adult college students are actually physically or financially dependent - and really how could she be with us in CA and her in OK? The school said there was nothing they could do even after I explained that she is NOT dependent on us. After all that, they wouldn't approve her for financial aid because of US. GRRRRRR. Of course I seem to remember the same issue when I was looking into getting aid before I graduated. Even if I had lived on my own at 18, the colleges said they'd count my parents income until I was 23... OR married, or had a child. Heh. My options then were simple, marry somebody or be a single mom or get no aid for college besides student loans I'd be in debt for 6 years after. I think both of those MIGHT have made college even harder not to mention my nightmares about 60K in loans lol.

Do you still have all your paperwork you signed when you started treatment? If you have any paperwork which shows retainers are part of your treatment, then you might have a loophole to catch him with. I might ask my ortho about that when I go - if someone had to halt treatment for any reason would it be customary for them to give you retainers to at least retain your result until you could begin/finish treatment. I am kind of thinking he'll probably back me up on that. Otherwise maybe a general dentist could make you something....? If you explained the situation you're in I don't see how any dentist could just let it go.

alimommy1

#276 Post by alimommy1 »

argh, sorry, I can't delete the double post! My laptop was acting like it was freezing up, it wouldn't continue, so I reloaded. Sorry about that....

BracketRacket

#277 Post by BracketRacket »

alimommy1 wrote:Do you still have all your paperwork you signed when you started treatment? If you have any paperwork which shows retainers are part of your treatment, then you might have a loophole to catch him with.
I'm not sure what the customary thing to do would be, but I definitely wouldn't assume this is the case -- considering that treatment hasn't been (fully) paid for. Not trying to be a downer, but don't want to get your hopes up.

determined419

#278 Post by determined419 »

Definitely sucks now but you are still young and can always go back once you get on your feet.

I didn't have braces, but I went through a 4 year gap between college and when I started working where I have been at for the last 3 years, where I had no money. Alot of people have been there. Might not look like it but it will get better!

alimommy1

#279 Post by alimommy1 »

It doesn't make sense that treatment should be ended abruptly or discontinued with no retention - even if it's not COMPLETED, know what I mean? You would think the ortho would want to keep the result - and in this case Chelsea definitely wants to at least KEEP the result so far until she can finish treatment.

I have known a few people who have decided to either have their braces taken off and not finish treatment - and one who took them off herself because the ortho wouldn't remove them until her parents paid - and her parents were dissatisfied with the treatment and said they wouldn't pay any more. The ones that went ahead and got retainers and wore them continued to have a halfway decent result, the girl who took them off herself didn't and her teeth went right back to what they were before. I can tell you I'd rather have a half-done and not perfect result and wear retainers to keep it that way until I could afford to finish than do nothing and go all the way back to square one. Just my two cents. Retainers should be a given after any active treatment, I have read enough to know that without it, anybody's teeth move, even people who have 'perfect' teeth or never had any braces.

cheyeaitsxchelsea

#280 Post by cheyeaitsxchelsea »

I have an complete plan of treatment that says I would recieve a permanent retainer on the bottoms that remains in good shape for 20 years, and then invisign looking top retainers. I was told by OSU that I shouldnt be refused retainers because of the Ortho/Patient agreement. I asked my Ortho's receptionist if I could schdule to get retainers (Note this was a month before my insurance would run out so it was plenty of time to give them a heads up) and she said she would have to ask my Ortho. He said I wouldnt benefit from retainers because I havent recieved enough treatment. I later called OSU and she said I WOULD benefit from them and went on to say that my Ortho was being a bit dodgey and wasnt making complete sense.

Any doctor who actually cares for his patients would actually want to retain whats been done. Its not like Im quitting treatment forever. I WILL go back to get treatment, and I was going to start going back to him once I could get the money together, but that isnt going to happen. Im going to ask him in person to give me retainers. Excuse my french but thats bullsh*t. My insurance paid for everything that was done on my teeth so each visit he was paid for what he did. So that means he would be paid for the retainers if he approved to do so in the month of May. Now if he tries to say "yeah ill make you retainers, but youll have to pay" Im going to flip out because I asked while I was still covered.

I dont want to lose the progress Ive made. Today my front gap closed completely. The gap is gone. My top arch is pretty much perfect now, except for the canine thats missing on the left and the gap between the right where its not braced.

However, Im hoping my mom (who does understand a little) is having a hard time medically as well, only its.....a lot worse. Thats all Ill say without saying anything. She said she might give me the money for top retainers. However, that leaves exposure surgery and wisdom removals I have to worry about. :/

Braced- March 30th 2010.

cheyeaitsxchelsea

#281 Post by cheyeaitsxchelsea »

I have an complete plan of treatment that says I would recieve a permanent retainer on the bottoms that remains in good shape for 20 years, and then invisign looking top retainers. I was told by OSU that I shouldnt be refused retainers because of the Ortho/Patient agreement. I asked my Ortho's receptionist if I could schdule to get retainers (Note this was a month before my insurance would run out so it was plenty of time to give them a heads up) and she said she would have to ask my Ortho. He said I wouldnt benefit from retainers because I havent recieved enough treatment. I later called OSU and she said I WOULD benefit from them and went on to say that my Ortho was being a bit dodgey and wasnt making complete sense.

Any doctor who actually cares for his patients would actually want to retain whats been done. Its not like Im quitting treatment forever. I WILL go back to get treatment, and I was going to start going back to him once I could get the money together, but that isnt going to happen. Im going to ask him in person to give me retainers. Excuse my french but thats bullsh*t. My insurance paid for everything that was done on my teeth so each visit he was paid for what he did. So that means he would be paid for the retainers if he approved to do so in the month of May. Now if he tries to say "yeah ill make you retainers, but youll have to pay" Im going to flip out because I asked while I was still covered.

I dont want to lose the progress Ive made. Today my front gap closed completely. The gap is gone. My top arch is pretty much perfect now, except for the canine thats missing on the left and the gap between the right where its not braced.

However, Im hoping my mom (who does understand a little) is having a hard time medically as well, only its.....a lot worse. Thats all Ill say without saying anything. She said she might give me the money for top retainers. However, that leaves exposure surgery and wisdom removals I have to worry about. :/

Braced- March 30th 2010.

cheyeaitsxchelsea

#282 Post by cheyeaitsxchelsea »

To be short he would have been paid for the retainers seperately because everything he does has to be approved before hand. He would have gotten paid. Ticks me off.

Braced- March 30th 2010.

cheyeaitsxchelsea

#283 Post by cheyeaitsxchelsea »

So in about 10 days Ill be brace free. Im sad about it. Im happy with the results in the short time frame but im not happy that they are being taken off now.

No real updates except I was feeling some pressure for a few days last week. Hope all is well for you guys!
Ill post pictures before I get them taken off!

Braced- March 30th 2010.

shinyRiver

#284 Post by shinyRiver »

retainers? :?:

cheyeaitsxchelsea

#285 Post by cheyeaitsxchelsea »

Soon. I have to make an appointment for OSU again and set up for retainers.

Braced- March 30th 2010.