HeyBuckey!'s Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

opera^gal

#61 Post by opera^gal »

I wonder if the noise in your molars, is them starting to shift? Mine clicked and crunched, when they were first beginning to get their move and groove on. Felt very strange. But I agree, check with your doc to be sure!
2/2/09: metal braces T/B
8/20/10: braced removed (18mons, 18days), hawley retainers T/B
9/16/10: LR central incisor extracted (failed root canal)
2/23/11: implant/bone graft
9/15/11: implant crown placed, lower lingual bonding corrected
9/21/11: upper bonding on lateral gaps from upper arch forward advancement
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

jxds

#62 Post by jxds »

HeyBuckey, it's nice to follow your story, and really funny. Hope everything is getting better b now!

I cannot compare since I've only had damons, but I can say that except for the first week, and after some archwire replacements, my teeth have not been sore, not even after regular adjustments. The only thing that has made them sore have been rubber bands, but I guess that's just the same whatever bracket brand you're using!

I don't have bands either, and fortunately I didn't wear spacers!

Anyway, hang in there! your teeth will look great when you're done!
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298

HeyBuckey!

I'd like to say thank you...

#63 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Hello, hello, and hello again Opera^gal! Move and grove Woot woot!!! I'm more excited to be able to get the floss in between my teeth without as much hassle as I had previously. I've got the craziest schedule right now but I should be getting in touch with my ortho today. The day you all gave me the idea to call...I left my phone at home :oops:. Imagine me trying to go on break and call my ortho but I can't find my phone! I swear, if my head weren't attached to my body I would probably leave it in one of my pockets like I did my cell phone...

Long time no type jxds! Let me tell you. My metal is one of a kind. It's a never ending story and something crazy is ALWAYS happening. I think the Damon's go on a lot easier than traditional, when they put my ligs on I'm usually cringing in pain and squirming a little in the chair. Especially if the teeth are feeling sensitive that day. I've heard of the convenient pain of bands and I know I'll probably have to wear them full time once I get my extractions.

If you could pick three descriptive words about the pain of bands what would they be?

Thank you much for the encouragement!!!
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Upper row braced 9/23/2009
Lower row braced 10/5/2009
Molar banded 11/16/2009
Final Eval/Braces Removal 4/10/2012
Sentence: 24-30 Months
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =heybuckey

HeyBuckey!

Adventures In Metal!!!!

#64 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Well guys...another day, another interesting story.

Would you all believe that some adults still think braces are...*gulp*...cool? I ran into an old friend on my way out of work yesterday. She has two little dudes, one a skilled walker and one learning how to walk. I ran to catch up with her and say hi to the babies and the littlest of the little dudes just kind of stared like "WOW!" He doesn't talk yet other than noises that I can't make out the letters to so I'm just interpreting the expression :). My old buddy asks him "Why are you staring at her like that?" And what was my reply? "It's probably all of this metal I have in my mouth."

My old buddy's face lit up like the New York skyline after a blackout! I almost never get tired of the question my buddy asked. "YOU got braces?" I popped my collar and said "I sure did!" Then she says "I think braces are SO cool!" :shock: (Really?) "I want them but I'm scared." Then I proceeded to encourage her. It looks like she doesn't have any bite issues, and her treatment time may be a year at the most. But I'm no professional :D. I also told her about a couple insurance/discount plans she could use and told her about my ortho. If I refer someone I get a month free! I got a free month last month 8).

Watch out! Spokesperson for the metal coming through!

The benefit of my ortho is you don't have to make a down payment, but you do have to pay the first months rent :). She has two little stinkers, this would be perfect for her! She said she'll consider it but I'll keep up with her to see if that's something she wants to do for sure :wink:

On the the second part of my story:

Well guys, I think I'm just going to try to convince my ortho's office to give me the friggin molar bands. I was on my break last night for class snacking on some Pringles. I like to crush the chip at the roof of my mouth and proceed to chewing. I even shared with others! After I crushed chip #9 and chewed a little, I felt a POP-CRACK! :shock: Uh-oh. I didn't feel anything but shortly after chewing I bit down on something hard. I spit it out and...IT WAS ANOTHER FREAKIN BRACKET...wait...IT WAS ONE OF MY FREAKIN BUCCAL TUBES! *Tisk, tisk* Besides from being in front of an audience of two, they had to witness me spitting this chunk of metal out of my mouth right in front of them AND..with food in my mouth :yuck:. Not the prettiest picture nor the most lady like.

So I get home and I am pissed off now. That's bracket #2! I'm only allowed one more casualty before I have to pay for anymore broken brackets. This time, it was my first molar on the left (again) bottom side. I didn't want that wire to bug me any so I tried to clip it right before I went to bed with a fresh pair of toenail clippers (hand, foot, and mouth disease anyone?). I say I tried because it seems like the wire was putting a groove in the toenail clippers, not wanting to disconnect...AT ALL. So I quit! Now I HAVE to give my ortho a call...I think I'm finding a correlation with broken brackets on my left side. My midline is off to the left for my top teeth only, but my bottom teeth are lined up properly. When I felt the area, buccal tube free...I noticed my whole top row is slightly shifted to the left resembling somewhat of a deep bite...JUST GIVE ME THE MOLAR BANDS!

Ugh! Spacers...here I come...again!

I also predict molar buildups in my future.

Thankfully I have an appt this coming Monday.
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

Emms

#65 Post by Emms »

Hi HeyBuckey, you are too funny. I'm laughing at your pringles story, not at you but at the fact that you crush the chip on the roof of your mouth, that is exactly what I do, I feel I have no skin left up there at this stage!!! I cannot believe that is the second bracket that's gone, you really should say something to your ortho, they should not be breaking that easily.

Best of luck with your appointment on Monday, keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bye for now
Emms

HeyBuckey!

#66 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Ola Emms!!!

LOL!!! I've got that rough palette thing going on too!!! That's a special gift we have! Pringles make it much easier to do too!

Yeah, I'm pretty mad about breaking yet ANOTHER bracket! I think I should have just gotten the cursed molar bands in the first place!!! :x It's gotta be Murphy's Law or something...

I finally talked to my ortho today too. They said I could come in but according to my schedule that's gonna be a big no no. The lady who answered said I'm gonna NEED those molar bands :(. Maybe that will fix my bracket biting problems since it's usually one on the end. Thank you sooooo much for the bright spot in the clouds! I really, really appreciate it!

P.S. I must have really tough teeth, just like Iron Man :lol:
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

opera^gal

#67 Post by opera^gal »

Double dog dare you to go with red/gold ligatures next time around, Iron Man!...lol Sorry to hear about the bracket nightmare, and I am begin very good about refraining from the 'I told you so' dance, about molar bands. Maybe they can just position your buccal tubes differently, but it sounds like ye olde bands are a-comin'. Enjoy being bandless as long as you can!!!
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

HeyBuckey!

Adventures In Metal!!!

#68 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Well kids!

I broke ANOTHER bracket. This time...I don't know how. I was brushing my teeth this morning (not even rough which is so not like me!) and I felt something in my mouth again! And thought...oh geez, I hope that isn't what I think it is! And I spit out another buccal tube.Image

Boy, did I feel like cussing! My exact fear from yesterday, the lower right this time. I hate to admit it, but I can't wait until I get these molar bands on :?.

I think I clench my jaw in my sleep. One may ask why must I think such a thing?! Well when you wake up with your jaw muscle flexed and your teeth tight together, one will begin to think they have a problem...

I also remember last week I woke up in the middle of the night because I bit down hard and my teeth hit a bracket. (Don't ask me which one, I was 80% sleep and incoherent) I remember hearing and feeling the click so I searched my mouth frantically making sure everything was intact. I didn't want to swallow anything metal in my sleep. The coast was clear so I went back to bed...PIECE OF CAKE!

It's another story when I'm awake however...
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

HeyBuckey!

Opera^Gal is my kinda gal!

#69 Post by HeyBuckey! »

LOL!!!! That would be kind of cool. I was going to go for Sapphire blue but, the braces are going to the Ball! I'm going to an Anniversary party next weekend. The dress is formal and my dress is indy red! What a coinky dink with the suggestion for red and gold :). I may have to take you up on the double dare :thumbsup:. We'll see how my Monday goes and how frisky I'm feeling.

Opera^gal you were right on! No worries on the dance, I've done the orthodontic tango twice since Tuesday all by myself :(. I could go for another dance...as long as it isn't with my teeth :P. Between broken brackets and clenched jaws I may run up my ortho bill even higher than expected (hopefully my insurance pays for the extras...(IT SHOULD!)). My buccal tubes did feel kind of like they were going to jump off a cliff, 1/2 a mm before the edge.

To celebrate my downfall, I'm eating Pizza today! For now, I can bite into it without out any trouble, *sigh* this is the good life!
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

opera^gal

#70 Post by opera^gal »

Here's a thought: what about wearing a night guard, such as the SleepRite by Splintek? It keeps your teeth apart slightly, is comfy and easy to get used to..I've been wearing one since before I got all this metal in my mouth, and I still have every itty bitty piece of the shiny stuff attached. Might be worth a look-see at your local drug store.
I celebrated with food today as well: the World Series win, with only the best burger on the planet...Da Baconator!! Of course, I had to cut up the twin beef patties covered in twin cheese and the requisite twin bacon rafts..with a frikken knife and fork...but was it ever gooooooood! I even followed it up with a salad, in the vain attempt to trick my mind into believing I ate healthy, as my arteries were clogging...lol

HeyBuckey!

#71 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Morning Opera^gal!

That is an absolutely fabulous idea. I'll google that to see which drug store by me carries those. Before the braces, I don't ever remember clenching. I don't have TMJ nor am I a grinder, but NOW, I clench. It's the strangest thing, but it more than likely is the reason I keep losing brackets. Thanks so much I'll let you know when I've purchased one!

Congrats on the Yankees win!!!

LOL!!! Clog those arteries! That's a once in a lifetime experience! Just like getting molar banded :HugeGrin:. Wait...actually molar bands have the potential of coming alot more often than that! I'd want it to say I bit into a triple double decker cheese burger. That burger sounds monstrous by the way, but OH so delightful!!!
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

HeyBuckey!

Adventures In Metal!!!

#72 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Hello everyone!

I had to make sure I posted after my appointment yesterday :). So first an foremost, my appointment was at 5. Me being in a hurry because I had somewhere else I needed to be 10 minutes til 7, caused me to arrive at my appointment at 3:50 :thumbsup:. After checking in and paying for my months rent on my braces, I was pulled back about 3 minutes at the most later. I can't help but LOVE those short wait times regardless of the time of my appointment. I go to the back and low and behold! The Head Honcho is sitting in a chair waiting for me. :shock: I was wondering if I had done something wrong as I sat my stuff down and he...he...he...HE...*gulp* conversated with me :Questions:. As you may know, my Ortho is not the one to conversate much (unless it's an insult, check out earlier posting). After reading other threads on AW I noticed some don't like the way the orthodontists office smells. For me personally I don't like how:
  • a) Those gloves that they use smell.
    b) My Orthodontist smells.
I don't want to discourage anyone from smoking (that's a lie I do indeed!) but do you have to do it when you are leaning over someone who has their mouth open? :yuck: I always have to remind myself to breath out of my mouth when he leans over. So he looks around in my mouth and says "We need to get an extraction request on you." My tech comes over and says "An extraction request?" She looks at the file and says "She already has one." I then proceed to letting the tech and the Ortho know I had plans on getting my extractions sometime after Thanksgiving but I hadn't set the date yet. Then the tech gets started.

I don't even remember when the Ortho got up. I do remember the tech saying I should think about getting my extractions over a course of the next 3 months. She removes my ligs and wire, lets me floss, brush, and rinse (HOW friggin easy is this!). It took me 6 mins tops for everything! My tech helped an another girl while I completed the ritual and I sat down to pick out my ligs. Since I have this anniversary party to go to this coming Saturday evening I wanted something that wasn't going to clink and clash against my dress, so I asked the tech "Which color would go best with a red dress? I was thinking of red but that may be overkill." The tech agreed and said "Yeah, that would be WAY too much red." The girl she was working on said..."Silver might work well." I thought about it all of 2 seconds and said..."That's a great idea! I think I'll try it!" Less than a minute later my tech came over to continue the procedure. I then got to ask her questions about if I would get my molar bands and my jaw clenching. She checked out my bite and noticed I would need molar bands but only on the bottom row. And my clenching comes from my teeth having no where to go in the middle of the night :(.

So it seems to be that my teeth are hanging on for dear life to my upper row because they have no place to sit. Sounds like a social issue to me. This Bites!!! The tech says that's normal for alot of patients. Crazy me I forgot to ask suggestions on what I should do about it! :x

Anywho. I got my new thicker wire and DUM, DUM, DUUUMMMMMM!!!! The spacers! They went in alot easier now that I had spacers previously and since my teeth have had some moving moments. Never to say the less, it still didn't feel very good. They were able to get the rubber spacers in. (:o Shut the heck up! Really?) Now it feels all squishy.

This reminds me of Dory from Finding Nemo:

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. Come on, Squishy Come on, little Squishy.

I don't know maybe it's just me, I think Senorita Man Hands who had no previous experience with braces handed me a pile of crap when she said the metal spacers would be more comfortable than the rubber ones. This rubber isn't burrowing into my gums! However the spacers still hurt so:

Ow. Bad Squishy, bad Squishy

P.S. - I'll post picks later on today :).
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

alibracket

#73 Post by alibracket »

I love the short waits for the ortho too. ITs almost unreal...a little too good. But seriously, I wish the DMV and jury duty were half as efficient as the orthos office.

I wish i could see my ortho as often as you. Instead i have resorted to pretending i didnt know that i couldnt bite into caramel covered apples and other desperately-seeking-attention behaviors. One of the brackets popped off the other day and i did something that resembled a touchdown dance in my kitchen.

No pics of the silver ligs? How did the silver look with the jewelry?

HeyBuckey!

#74 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Ello Alibracket!!!

Whew! Going to the DMV takes about as long as it does to get the whole orthodontic process underway :?. Not to mention it's always hot, 9 times out of 10 there are out of control kids running around, and if you go in the later part of the morning here, it may be a while until you can be seated because all of the early risers have their fannies rested happily in a chair. I'm not a fan either.

Yay! You get to go to the ortho before your next appointment! It really sucks that you had to resolve to attention seeking but anything, ANYTHING to get your Ortho to see you a little more often that they do. You gotta post a video of the touchdown dance :D that is a MUST SEE!

I can't get into my photo album at work because the computer blocks anything that resembles personal storage/backed up data and my computer at home is...well...dead (literally!) so when I go to class tonight I will definitely post the pics of the newest platinum grill 8) . I should've gotten gold. I'm wearing a red dress with gold accessories because it seems like a much warmer combo than silver and red. But, if I don't open my mouth no one will notice :roll:. Problem is...my nickname should be smiley :lol:
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009

HeyBuckey!

Pics Adjustment 11/9/09

#75 Post by HeyBuckey! »

Hi Guys & Gals :)

Here are this adjustment's photos!

This one looks kind of yellow. My lighting was horrible!

THE SIDE (Left)!!! Gotta get those extractions. My teeth keep going out further and further and further!

Does my right side look a little tamer than the left to you too?

Wow...I can't believe how friendly my mean little tooth is! I was so shocked when I saw these pics! It is literally amazing!

It looks like I need some sealant behind my top left lateral incisor blech! I do a good job brushing I swear!!!
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Molar banded 11/16/2009