Is 40 too old for a new grill?

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Under Construction

Is 40 too old for a new grill?

#1 Post by Under Construction »

Hello All!

I've been lurking on these boards for months now and I think it's time I introduce myself and tell my story...

I'm a 40-year-old mom and last year when I took my daughter to a brief status meeting with her ortho I got a wild hair and decided to book myself a consultation appointment. I've always had somewhat crooked teeth, but in a family of five kids, not all of us made it through the rounds of orthodontics. My friends have frequently told me my crooked teeth add to my character. I know they were saying this to be kind, but I always thought, "So, when people think of my face they think of crooked teeth...?" I decided that I'd waited long enough. I am capable of paying the orthodontia bills and I have a husband who loves me no matter what. (That's what he tells me, and now I'm testing the theory!) So, off I went for my consultation.

My orthodontist was extremely thorough and thoughtful at the appointment. After x-rays and molds and biting this way and that, we finally sat down to talk about my treatment. He asked, "So what do you want to get out of this?" My first thought was, "Silly question...don't you straighten teeth for a living?" I said (almost) just that...I want to straighten my teeth, improve my smile. He said, "What about your bite?" I answered, "Well, yes, that too." His first recommendation was jaw surgery in combination with braces. I immediately rejected that idea. It's enough that I was inching up on 40 and ready to put metal in my mouth. So we talked it through and he decided he would get me "as close to perfect" as he could without surgery.

I don't have a list of all of the technical terms associated with my "issues" so here's the plain English version:

I have an impacted canine that needs to be pulled down and a baby canine to be removed.
I have a pretty severe overbite.
My bottom jaw is much smaller than my upper jaw and when I bite it has to be on one side or the other. My teeth do not meet up on both sides at the same time. (Is this common?)

So, on January 13th I got my top grill installed. I have the "In-Ovation C" clear brackets on the top six and metal on the back. Technically, I have them on the top five. The baby does not have a bracket.

Coincidentally I also found out after getting my braces put on that I had some bone loss under my bottom front teeth resulting from an injury when I was twelve. (My sister and I were repeatedly jumping into a pool backwards. My jaw hit on the way down. No broken bones, but all of my front teeth were knocked loose. You can imagine the surprised expression of the lifeguard when I climbed out of the pool with blood dripping down my chin...) Anywho, on March 6th I had a tooth pulled and a bone graft done. The periodontist then cut my old tooth and attached it to the teeth on either side of the extraction gap. It's lovely. You should all look into this. It's a temporary solution until my braces are removed from my bottom teeth and I can have an implant put in.

On May 15th (the day before my birthday...seriously bad planning on my part) I had my impacted tooth exposed.

On June 4th I had a TPA installed and the impacted tooth's wire attached. The TPA has an "arm" attached to it that extends to the impacted tooth and puts constant, gentle pressure on the tooth to bring it down.

It's September 1st and I have yet to see that tooth expose itself. I've named it Punksatony Phil after the famous groundhog. He has not yet seen his shadow and I'm growing impatient!

Well, that's my story so far. My biggest hurdle will obviously be the impacted tooth rearing its head. My hope is that my age does not interfere with the progress. Apparently the older you get the more dense your bone and therefore the more difficult the exposing becomes.

My next adjustment is on September 15th so stay tuned!

Thanks for reading!
Karen in Cali

browneyedgrl

#2 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Karen,

Welcome to AW!!! 40 is never to old!!! First of all, it's the new 30!!! I was braced for the second time in January 2008, three months shy of my 40th birthday!!!

This is great that you're doing this for you!!! Good luck with your treatment and hopefully Phil will be joining the gang soon!!!

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

Under Construction

#3 Post by Under Construction »

Did anyone watch last week's Oprah about beauty secrets from around the world? One of the reporters was an adult with braces (Rock on!), but I was disappointed tha Oprah didn't acknowledge the metal! I mean, the show was on what women of different nations do to make themselves feel beautiful. Anyone else notice this?

Under Construction

#4 Post by Under Construction »

Thanks for your reply and encouragement, browneyedgirl! How much longer are you in for?

eyebeeablessing2u

#5 Post by eyebeeablessing2u »

Hi ! Welcome to the world of life in braces
and nope 40 is not too old for grills.
I am 44 and just got mine in thie year in march
my story is under eyebeeablessing2u

Karen also LOL

browneyedgrl

#6 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Karen,

I got my braces off 3 months ago after wearing them for almost 17 months. I'm now in the good ole retention phase.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

staceyr2

#7 Post by staceyr2 »

Congrats on taking the plunge! Definitely 40 is NOT too old. I am a few years shy of 40, but I am staring it in the face. I am 37 now, and thought the same thing a few years ago when I had mine put on, that 33 might be a little old for braces, but I know quite a few ladies in thier 50's that got braces and even one that had surgery too. It's never too late to save your teeth, as long as you still have them. I am sure I believe that, but sometimes I do think it may have been better just to have had them all pulled and implants put in. And for some strange reason, these braces seem to make people think I am a whole lot younger than I am. I am not sure how, because when I look in the mirror, I know there is no way I could be mistaken for a teenager, but yet it happens. Maybe the rest of the world needs to visit the optometrist!
:shock:
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both

staceyr2

#8 Post by staceyr2 »

Oops, forgot to mention, I love the name "Under Construction", it's great!
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both

Wheellug

#9 Post by Wheellug »

Hi,

40 is definately not too old. I am turning 41 soon and have had them on for 7 months!

I have been told that the full metal mouth makes me look younger. It has been kind of fun (except the pain part of course).

Good Luck

Wheellug

#10 Post by Wheellug »

Hi,

40 is definately not too old. I am turning 41 soon and have had them on for 7 months!

I have been told that the full metal mouth makes me look younger. It has been kind of fun (except the pain part of course).

Good Luck

Wheellug

#11 Post by Wheellug »

Hi,

Good Luck

Under Construction

#12 Post by Under Construction »

Hello All!

Thanks to everyone who read my story and responded! It's good to know I'm not the only 40 year-old rocking the Junior High look! On that note...my hair stylist wanted to try something "fresh" last week and gave me bangs. Uhm, I haven't had bangs since I was about 19 and I can honestly say in about three weeks time I hope they start to disappear. Seriously, braces and bangs? Sign me up for the eighth grade dance!

So, I had an adjustment this morning. Doc took a look at my chained impacted canine and said, "Well, I see a bit of progress, but I'd really like to see that tooth! If a little pressure is good, more will be better!" He pulled out one of his handy tools, made a crimp in the "arm" that extends from my TPA, announced that it was "nice and tight now" and sent me on my way. This was my shortest visit of all. I think I was in the chair for all of three minutes. Back in five weeks for more fun. I was sore this morning for a while, but not anymore. I almost prefer to feel a little pain so I feel like something is happening. Hopefully in the next five weeks we'll see a little tiny bit of canine popping out. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Take care!
Karen

browneyedgrl

#13 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Karen,

I'm with you all the way with the bangs!!! I cut bangs 2 weeks before I got my braces and within a few weeks after that I was so over it!!! Good luck with growning them out!

I went in for a parent teacher conference six months ago and my daughters teacher and I were talking about age since my daughter told her that it was my birthday and I told her that I just turned 41. She was shocked, I told her that I looked the same at 14, just had metal braces then, she laughed!!!

B

[/url]

TerriD

Concerned

#14 Post by TerriD »

Hi...I'm 41 and have decided to get braces. I had a consult a few weeks ago and was referred to an OS for an impacted canine and 2 lower wisdom that are also impacted. If I decide to go thru with the OS I will have IV sedation. The canine is in the sinus and will have to be extracted instead of exposed.
The nerves at my lower jaw are basically wrapped around the roots of both wisdom teeth. I have no problems with the procedure itself but with but with the possibility that the parasthesia (numbness) will be more permanent than temporary.

Should I be worried? Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks

yy2bsleep

#15 Post by yy2bsleep »

Hi, i don't think 40 is old. I had my braces last week and im 38 now. I think getting braces is never too old. Many audlt are getting braces now. im looking forward for my new smile :)