Slowly smiling without fear, without shame! (pics included)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dani73

Slowly smiling without fear, without shame! (pics included)

#1 Post by Dani73 »

Well here I am, 36 years old, and 6 months into treatment.

Eventually I'll come on and write down what I've been through over the years, but it's a long long story, so I'll start with the basic's.

I have always had crocked teeth, I got teased throught childhood, and sadly, even in adulthood! :cry: Hence the title of my diary.

But to start with the more recent topic, I was dx 18 months ago with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). When sleeping my tongue blocks my airway, which stops me from breathing.

So they are straighening my teeth, in preparation for upper and low jaw surgery with Genoplasty. This will hopefully help the tongue to come foward more.

So basically it is not being done for cosmetic reason (though it is a huge benefit) it's for medical reasons.

I have been told I will have the braces on for about 12 to 18 months before sugery and roughly another 6 months after surgery. So I'm looking at 2 years atm.

But since I've had the braces on, I've noticed I am not ashamed to smile. I don't put my hand over my mouth when I smile around strangers. Yes I get the 'double takes' when they notice the braces, but I know they are helping to disguise my teeth.

Every night since having the braces, I've been studying my teeth, trying to figure out what is changing, and just like a pot of boiling water, nothing seemed to change.

Well that was until the other night when I compared my Dec 08 photo with my June 09 photo. :D I honestly had no idea on how much my teeth had actually changed.

So I'll sign off with the photo's now and will be back later to do 'instalements'

Take care!

Dec 08 - ashamed to take the photo

June 09 - still ashamed of the gummy smile - but totally amazed at the transformation in my teeth, especially the lower ones. :D

Margie

#2 Post by Margie »

Wow! That is quite the difference already!

I didn't notice how drastic my changes were either until I compared my before pictures to my current pictures.

Dani73

#3 Post by Dani73 »

Well here I am 16 months after my last post.

I'm 36 hours away from my surgery to have my lower jaw brought forward, upper jaw brought up and forward, genioplasty and now my surgeon may want to to open the airways in my nasal passage.

I have my final appointment with him tomorrow afternoon and then I'm booked in tuesday morning for the surgery. Starting to get really anxious now. Not so much from what I will look like after, it's more from feeling like I won't be able to breathe afterwards. But I'm also panicking about panicking. :shock: lol

So the next update should be after I've had the surgery.

farmboy

#4 Post by farmboy »

Kudos to you for going through so much to get a better smile. It will be so worth it when you're done.

We're all pulling for you. Good luck with the surgeries. Let us know how they go.

Dani73

#5 Post by Dani73 »

Thank you Farmboy!

fleur26

#6 Post by fleur26 »

wow thats gr8 movement! keep smiling" :D :D

jensceana73

#7 Post by jensceana73 »

Hey, I just wanted to post and say good luck to you this week with your surgery. Your progress looks great, and I hope all goes well for you...it'll totally be worth it!!! I'll be sending good vibes your way Tuesday. :thumbsup:
If God wanted me to have straight teeth, he would have made my parents rich..or so I was told....

Click Image to view my SAGA

rhomboid

#8 Post by rhomboid »

They look really good, tremendous improvement. Bust of luck with the surgery.

BracketRacket

#9 Post by BracketRacket »

Good luck!

Dilema

#10 Post by Dilema »

looks good

good luck with the surgery and hopefully you'll post back soon

mama2cute

#11 Post by mama2cute »

Fantastic changes in your teeth! Hope surgery went well and you keep smiling unashamed!