Kayleigh starting braces experience

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kayleighkelley

Kayleigh starting braces experience

#1 Post by kayleighkelley »

I just had my records and molds done, I have a app. next week and then the following the dr. plans to put on my braces. I'm really nervous but so ready to have a great smile. Everyone's story's I've read so far have really made me feel better.[/img]

kayleighkelley

#2 Post by kayleighkelley »

My teeth before braces. They should be on in two weeks, fingers crossed

stacy19201325

#3 Post by stacy19201325 »

Well good luck with the spacers if you have to get them. They were VERY unpleasant for me. The first two days were fine, but day three I woke up in the middle of the night to a very bad sharp pain - I had just closed my mouth and my teeth touched.

Could not chew, absolutely could not chew. Rice was even too much. Now, it's lent and I'm Greek Orthodox, so that means I can't have meat, egg or dairy right now. Take all that away AND take out chewable foods and that doesn't leave a whole lot. I was hungry, in pain, and grumpy for a week :D

kayleighkelley

Kayleigh's story

#4 Post by kayleighkelley »

So I thought maybe I should post a quick story about why I'm getting braces and why I want them so badly. I've needed them since I can remember b/c I sucked my fingers until about the fourth grade!!!! I can remember getting made fun of in school, they'd call me stack tooth and laugh b/c my mom couldn't afford braces for me. I'm 23 and finally I had the money and told myself it's now or never. So I'm sucking up my pride and I'm going to do it. I'm nervous about having a mouth full of braces. Geez...I don't even have room now, lol. But I can't wait until the day I can smile and someone says, wow you've got a great smile :) I just want them on already!!!!

brika

#5 Post by brika »

Congratulations on beginning your journey! I'm sorry to hear how cruel people have been to you in the past, but I'm glad you're finally able to make the change you've been wanting for so long! I know you won't regret your decision!
I hope the weeks until your bracing fly by for you! Best of luck, and I look forward to seeing all your progress!

kayleighkelley

#6 Post by kayleighkelley »

So I had my records appointment today! I'm excited and nervous about what the dr said. First off approximate time is 1 1/2 to 2 years, cost $3700 (already paid $700 down so $3000 left) I'm going to be paying $125/month until paid off. I have to have one tooth pulled (I'm really scared about it it's 4 teeth back from the front!!!) It's getting pulled tomorrow and then next week spacers are being put in and then the following week is brace day!!!
* I need everyone's help...I can't decide between clear or metal brackets!?!?!?! Help Please!!! There's only a $300 difference and I can't decide.

MakePinkNotWar

#7 Post by MakePinkNotWar »

I had the same problem of which one to go with but I decided to go with metal because I wanted to be able to have lig colors (the ceramic my orthodontist uses are self-ligating). Part of me still kind of wants ceramic..lol. You can look at the pictures on this forum of ceramic and metal to help decide. Good luck with your decision!
Most days I forget I even have braces.

kaydee

#8 Post by kaydee »

GO THE CLEAR!! I got clear uppers and i am so impressed with them. The first few days when you get your clear ligs on (the little elastic ties that keep the wires inplace) I worried about staining them but after a few days of eating stain resistant foods they still get just slightly discoloured and once they get like that I dont worry about eating spaghetti and tomato based stuff as it doesnt stain them any more. In fact, they dont look that bad or off coloured. The only thing to avoid is tumeric and curry, that is a no go zone as they go bright yellow.

My sister got all metal as she didnt care how they were going to look but as soon as they went on she strongly regretted not getting the clear. And my sisters brackets are no smaller than mine. I love my clears and I have had soooooooooooo many people tell me they havent even noticed I have braces on. Just a bit of encouragement re the spacers, mine werent too bad, it was tender to chew but I didnt get any major pain. In fact the first real pain I have had is today on my 2nd adjustment getting the thicker wire on and a power chain, but I havent resorted to pain killer yet so its not that bad (but im aware of it and I did have 9 teeth out in one hit too)

Anyway good luck with it all.

dml

#9 Post by dml »

I have had both clear & metal brackets. I started with all clear, half way through my treatment, I had a lingual bar fitted on the bottom teeth, I then started a bad habit at night, biting on the bar & breaking the brackets on the top teeth, the ortho & myself decided to change the brackets to metal (then later removed the lingual bar) The metal brackets are smaller & dont protrude from my teeth as far as the clear, my lips also move over the brackets easier, But when I had the clear very few people noticed that I had braces, now having the metal, I would say most people notice, but about 2% of them had a comment about them & it is short lived.
Kaydee is correct about the staining of the clear ligs, I found that using grey/silver ligs with clear brackets work the best, I must admit I only changed to the grey ligs after the 3rd adjustment (once I realised no other person realy cares that I have braces)
Good luck with your decision

Marley

#10 Post by Marley »

Your teeth are going to look great!

Have you decided what you're going to go with? I have metal. I didn't have a choice. I don't mind them, but I probably would have gone clear if it was a choice. The shock has long worn off when I look in the mirror and see metal staring back!

Enjoy!

kayleighkelley

#11 Post by kayleighkelley »

MakePinkNotWar, kaydee, dml, and Marley....Thank you for the advice, I just called the dentist and told him I'll go with the clear. I really wanted to experiment with colors down the road but I think the metal will be harder for me to adjust too at first.

I had my tooth pulled on Tuesday and I am FREAKEN out. I keep feeling this hole in my mouth and wondering...will it close up? What if it doesn't close up with braces?!?!??! Please anyone who has had extractions, mine was the premolar #12, how long before it doesn't look so bad???? I don't even get my braces on until April 1st, how will I make it through that if this is already making me CrAzY :D

dml

#12 Post by dml »

Clear is a good choice for you, & later you can still experiment with colors

brika

#13 Post by brika »

I agree with dml, you can still do colors with clear! I'm planning to, once my teeth straighten out a bit more on top. But clear is nice because you also have the option to keep it discrete if you want it to. :)

Aw man, I feel you on the extraction gap weirdness! It might take some time to close it, depending on how soon your ortho is ready to take that step. But I found that my premolar gaps became a lot less noticeable once I had the braces on! Or maybe the braces just gave me a new thing to obsess about inside my mouth. ;) hehe

catfish

#14 Post by catfish »

I just had a lower incisor pulled, so I hear you on the gap issue. Mine is really noticeable, so I'm pretty self conscious about it. Which is funny, because I wasn't so self conscious about getting braces (I have metal).

I don't know how long it will take to close your gap. I just had my tooth pulled two weeks ago so I don't have experience on gap closure yet. But I'm in the same boat with you, and wishing you luck!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

kayleighkelley

#15 Post by kayleighkelley »

So I got my spacers in yesterday....When the dentist started he tried putting in these tiny blue rings but they kept busting because my teeth were to close together and wouldn't go in. He had to put in metal bars instead, they remind me of really fat staples, they have sharp edges on both sides that cut my cheeks and tongue a little bit. Yesterday after I got them they were a bit tender but I thought, "Hey this isn't so bad". I woke up this morning and Holy S***. My mouth feels so bad. My bottom teeth hurt so bad!!! It feels like all my teeth are loose and like they are going to shatter!!!! I seriously starting crying this morning and I thought I took pain pretty well. Hopefully tomorrow is better and I can eat a little more :(

Do braces hurt as bad as spacers?????