opera^gal's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

opera^gal

Re: opera^gal's story

#676 Post by opera^gal »

Forgot to mention, I was able to keep my plaster impression of the top arch, so if I need to *point out* any further sensitivity to a dental professional, I can do so on the impression, and not with a finger in my mouth :BigGrin:
2/2/09: metal braces T/B
8/20/10: braced removed (18mons, 18days), hawley retainers T/B
9/16/10: LR central incisor extracted (failed root canal)
2/23/11: implant/bone graft
9/15/11: implant crown placed, lower lingual bonding corrected
9/21/11: upper bonding on lateral gaps from upper arch forward advancement
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

opera^gal

#677 Post by opera^gal »

Back from the follow up with the endodontist, who once again had me bite down a gazillions times...still no evidence of anything to warrant a root canal :jump: . I told him that the new full coverage retainers are giving me complete relief from the metallic taste and sensitivity on that pesky molar, and he is still baffled as to what could be causing those symptoms. He has suggested I go back to the dentist and have the filling re-done *again*. For today, I'm not doing anything but enjoying the cooler temperatures and likely thunder/rain storms. I'll continue with the new retainers over the weekend and try to have a conversation with the dentist *before* any drilling takes place.
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

opera^gal

#678 Post by opera^gal »

No change in the molar issue, and I'm not rushing to do anything at the moment. Have a cleaning in early Sept..will talk about it then with the dentist.

Had a tooth/retainer nightmare last night, after going back to the hawley top and bottom. In the dream, my teeth felt odd after removing the retainers, so I looked in the mirror and not only were they BROWN :yuck: , but they were all criss-crossed with some teeth completely hidden behind others :yikes: !! I touched them and they were super loose, so I pushed them back in place and figured I'd have to wear the retainers full time or go back in braces :paperbag: . I woke up, ran my tongue over my teeth and exhaled deeply!! Whew :-*

lilone

#679 Post by lilone »

I was on holiday for a few weeks and have decided to check up on the journals of a few people I have been following. Oh my! So much has happened for you in a couple of weeks! That is fantastic news that no root canal is necessary. Is the splint an essex style retainer? Is it still fixing the problem? If it is, I'd be tempted to leave the filling and put it down to a retainer issue, unless a microscopic bubble can allow bacteria in.

Anyway, congrats on the good tooth news and good luck for September. :D

opera^gal

#680 Post by opera^gal »

hey lilone: the splint is very much like an essix, only I believe the thermo plastic is thinner, as it isn't for long term use...yes, things are less sensitive with it on, but it isn't nearly as good at retention as the hawley. Will make a decision on the filling when I speak with the dentist in a few weeks. Hope you had a great vacation!

opera^gal

#681 Post by opera^gal »

In a week, I go in for my normal dental cleaning/check up. The pesky molar still has some bad days, but also has some non-reactive days..so I'm at a loss as to what might be next. I've been using a sensitive toothpaste from Germany, with a different type of ingredient list than all the US versions, and maybe that is helping. My internist had a pesky tooth his dentist treated with RX strength fluoride and that worked for him. Hands thrown into the air at this point..I want my original mouth back pre-dental escapades!

opera^gal

#682 Post by opera^gal »

Back from my cleaning...not too much in the way of scraping to be done, which is good!!...did discover some bonding on my right top incisor had gone missing, but minor enough that it doesn't need to be redone at this time...completely normal x rays of my completely normal healthy teeth...some polishing and I was done. The molar has continued to subside in being pesky, which I'm guessing is due to toothpaste and swapping out which retainer I wear when I wear them...no back to back with hawleys, break it up with the thermoplastic clears...seems to help, no idea why. Some old filings will need replacing within the next year or so, but nothing dramatic today..except summer temps and humidity have returned after a nice respite of autumn weather.