opera^gal's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

opera^gal

Re: opera^gal's story

#661 Post by opera^gal »

Back from the dentist..bonding repaired on the upper right canine and some buffing on the lower right/upper left as well...looks and feels good as new :jump: . Poked around the sensitive molar and found a couple spots that sent me almost out of the chair..was treated with a paint on desensitizing agent that sinks in and forms a permanent barrier. Will see how that goes. She said the tooth is healthy and would hate to resort to root canal :yikes: :yuck: ,which I agreed was last resort. She suspects there is a crack so tiny and hairline, that it can't be seen on X-ray or by eye. I've had a crack before, as a kid, on a lower molar, and it has a gold crown..so mentioned crowning/capping as a next option and she agreed that could work. I'm tired of all the dental rigamoroll frankly, and would like to be able to simply do bi-annual cleanings .. Not asking too much from the dental deities :-** , in my opinion.
2/2/09: metal braces T/B
8/20/10: braced removed (18mons, 18days), hawley retainers T/B
9/16/10: LR central incisor extracted (failed root canal)
2/23/11: implant/bone graft
9/15/11: implant crown placed, lower lingual bonding corrected
9/21/11: upper bonding on lateral gaps from upper arch forward advancement
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

opera^gal

#662 Post by opera^gal »

Sensitivity is down a bunch on that pesky molar, so I'm happy about that. Hoping the nerve will calm all the way down over time.
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

oldfart

#663 Post by oldfart »

So how many total hours have you spent in a dental related office over the course of your treatment?
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

opera^gal

#664 Post by opera^gal »

oldfart: I can't even begin to calculate the time spent during my long dental escapades to date. Maybe someday, when I have spare time and/or desire, I'll look into it.

I believe some of the sensitivity 'coating' might be wearing off already :-+ . Wait and see plan once again in place :yuck: . Good news: retainers continue to go in/out with relative ease on the lessening wear by a night or two.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#665 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Hey glad to hear everything's been working out for you. Did you happen to notice a difference between singing with and without the braces? I haven't sung since mine have been off and before my braces I had a huge speech impediment because of my overbite the top teeth covered my bottom lip not allowing me to touch my lips together. I have not yet sang, but I noticed a huge difference in playing the clarinet I can now reach the upper octave. Make sure you wear your retainer, or else it will move back even after a few hours, I eat a lot so i been taking out my lower retainer for long periods of time and i can barely get it back in :/ But I am pretty happy with my results I probably should update my story haha.
Jenn Medeiros

opera^gal

#666 Post by opera^gal »

BSS: I don't notice any difference in singing, but I do notice it when I whistle..odd I know, but I'm thinking it might be due to the forward advancement of my upper arch. As far as retainer wear, my ortho has called me her 'most compliant patient', so no worries there.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#667 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

I had it done so that my upper jaw was pulled back as far as possible. Good job on wearing the retainers, My friend Jaclyn and I are the ONLY people in my life I've known who's actually worn the retainers and then some haha.
Jenn Medeiros

opera^gal

#668 Post by opera^gal »

Thanks, bss

opera^gal

#669 Post by opera^gal »

Went with my fella to his cleaning at the dentist, and when he was done, she pulled me into the chair to check that sensitive molar. It was still zinging a bit, so she retreated it with the sealant, hoping that will do the trick. It's a good tooth, in her words, and she will try everything possible to avoid resigning me to a root canal. Wait and watch..again!

opera^gal

#670 Post by opera^gal »

So far, so good...maybe the zingy molar has been solved..here's hoping :dance: .

opera^gal

#671 Post by opera^gal »

Happy Summer everyone!!!

opera^gal

#672 Post by opera^gal »

It's back..stupid sensitivity :-+ ...comes and goes like before...not sure what next step could be other than root canal :soremouth: :yikes: :yuck: . Treading water for the moment before calling the dentist.

opera^gal

#673 Post by opera^gal »

Called the dentist today for the 'what next' convo...headed to a consultation for a root canal next week..oh goody :roll:

opera^gal

#674 Post by opera^gal »

First the good news: endodontist checked the pesky molar with cold, biting down, X-ray, and found no crack and no need for a root canal :jump: . Bad news: he isn't sure why I have the metallic taste and minor sensitivity. He suspects there *might* be a microscopic bubble between the layers of the recent composite filling replacement, which isn't showing up on X-ray. Could end up with needing to replace the replacement filling..ugh :yuck: . He also wants me to have a retainer check with the ortho, to see if the fit has been torqued and/or try to take some pressure off that molar. And here I thought I was done with that office..oh well. Focusing on not needing to have a drill and tiny files shoved into my skull for root canal.

opera^gal

#675 Post by opera^gal »

Ortho retainer check took over 2 hrs this morning :yikes: . Not the fault of the ortho in any way, shape or form. She checked the Hawley and said before making ANY changes to a perfectly fitting appliance, she wanted me to wear a clear 'splint' (aka vacu-formed thermo plastic deal) until I see the endodontist next week, and see if that simmers down that molar sensitivity at all. Ok, I've worn those before, so no problem..right? Oh so not right! Tech takes impressions of top and bottom, and says '20mins..go wait in the main waiting area'. No problem...read a magazine, then two, then three..checked the clock..an HOUR had gone by. Receptionists went to check and yes, the splints were done ages ago.. :-+ . I go back to a room, try them on..bottom fits like a glove, top one is so wonkified, my front teeth feel like they are being shoved back while the back teeth are constantly rocking the splint back and forth. I explain the issue with the top and the tech says 'you'll get used to it'..ummmm...no...best you check this again!. Trim this, grind that..didn't fix the issue. She huffs and puffs and goes to get the ortho, who looks and shakes her head and tells lil miss grumpypants to make ANOTHER IMPRESSION and try again :huh: :yuck: :-= . This time, I wait *in the chair*, and less than 20mins later, in comes grumpy, with the mold of my teeth with the splint on it, as she seems unable to get it off the mold. Finally gets it off and before I can try it on, the ortho pops in, checks it and pops it in herself. I get the feeling at this point, that the ortho oversaw the procedure of grumpypants, which has made grumpy even MORE grumpy. Long story made longer, the top one now fits fine and we discuss what's next, as she is the third oral professional on the case of the sensitive molar quest. She says to give these a go, and see what the endo (whom was one of her instructors) says, and go from there. I could end up in these type of splints, back into my original Hawley, or a modified Hawley, once all is said and done. The ortho will follow through with both the dentist and the endodontist.