Tommm's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tommm

#91 Post by Tommm »

I was told 2 years at first. Then I talked her (the ortho) down to 18 months. Now it's going to be done at 13 months. I guess being neurotic about cleaning and wearing elastics paid off!

cheyeaitsxchelsea

#92 Post by cheyeaitsxchelsea »

Thats wonderful! I believe I may be getting braced the 22nd of this month. Its the appointment where they tell me my treatment plan and like the final say of everything. I just want these suckers on. Hopefully I can be as lucky as you and get them off way sooner. But urrf one can only hope!

whiskers00182

#93 Post by whiskers00182 »

wow! your story is amazing!! your teeth look wonderful! Wearing those rubber bands really works huh!!!!? I know its helped me alot!!!! great job!!!

Margie

#94 Post by Margie »

Congrats! That is great news! I can't wait to see the after pictures!

Tommm

#95 Post by Tommm »

Surprise!

The molar bands for my 2nd molars were removed a week ago so we can reduce the gap after removing all of the bands. My ortho told me to call if I noticed some odd movement. I'm so neurotic about my teeth at this point, I thought my bite was getting a bit off so I made an appointment today (8 days before my debanding date) to get things checked out.

She said "It looks fine. You want to get them off this week?"

I was actually speechless and all that I could do was nod my head. Now I'm getting my braces off the day after tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already bought a box of Crest Whitestrips Advanced, and the retainer cleaning stuff is in transit. This is just too surreal. Now I'm counting down the hours. 35 hours... OMG!

Tommm

#96 Post by Tommm »

FREEEEEDOM!

I can't believe it's over. The debanding process was more painful than I expected but it wasn't too bad. My teeth didn't feel slimy like I was told they would. It just plain felt good to not have crap on my teeth anymore! Overall I'm super happy with the results. I have a box of Whitestrips ready to go so I can't wait to see how they look like after whitening. I also got a brand new Sonicare Healthy White toothbrush as well. Hollywood here I come! (well in my head anyways :))

Tale of the tape:

Day 5 looked like this:

12 months, 3 weeks, and 1 day later:

Braces straight up rule!

Tips for newbies:
1. follow directions
2. wear your elastics
3. do your research and ask lots of questions

I think I'd still be in my braces for another 6 months minimum if it weren't for those three things.

Thank you all for sharing this crazy journey with me. I can't wait to see you all debanded as well. I'll update after the Whitestrips treatment if it makes a difference. Cheers and good luck fellow archwireders!

bracedcml

#97 Post by bracedcml »

Congrats!! Your teeth were just like mine! The ortho said 2 years for me, which seems like forever. It's been 5 months and I've seen lots of progress. I cannot imagine another year and half.

Enjoy your freedom!
:D
Braced on September 14, 2009

Margie

#98 Post by Margie »

Congratulations! Your teeth look great!

Tommm

#99 Post by Tommm »

Thanks bracedcml and Margie!

Bracedcml: At first my ortho told me 2 years too. I said "what if I was neurotic about taking care of my teeth and followed all of the directions" and she then told me 18 months. I was totally expecting 1.5 years but then I just kept doing what my ortho told me and it got down to a little over a year. I bet that your sentence will be shorter for you too as long as you take care of your teeth. Good luck! :)

Rachel B

#100 Post by Rachel B »

So Tommm, you finally got there. I can't believe you've left our little group so soon!!!! Some of use will be here a bit longer.
I'm really happy for you, hopefully I won't be too far behind!
Your teeth look great,

Rach xxxx

amandad09

#101 Post by amandad09 »

Gah! I am so jealous!!! They really look great tommm! :D
My Journey with Braces: http://bracingit.blogspot.com/
(updated: 11/9/10)

1/15/09: Lower Braces, Upper 4 brackets
1/27/09: Upper Palate Expander
2/25/09: 3 Teeth Extracted
6/22/09: EXPANDER WAS REMOVED!!!! =]
11/9/10: Cross Elastic Started
10/19/11: Next Adjustment

Tommm

#102 Post by Tommm »

Thanks Rachel and Amanda. You guys are next! We all started about the same time so I can't wait until we're all finished together. Looking forward to your updates! :)

Blake24

#103 Post by Blake24 »

Tom, I am not going to lie, but I am extremely jealous!!!!! You and I both got our braces around the same time, and here I am applying wax to my back molar bracket, and there you are bracket free! I agree with you that following the directions is the best thing to do. I was making amazing progress when I got my first elastics, and my ortho said that my teeth were looking great. Then I ran into a snag with my upper right canine, so my ortho took me off the elastics, which slowed me down. Now I am back on elastics, with an additional power chain, and things are looking good. I asked my ortho what my "estimate" is and he said October or earlier. Soooo if things go alright then I will be brace free 4 months earlier than planned, which isn't too bad. I guess if I am out of them in a total of 1 year and 8 months then I shouldn't really complain...considering some people have to wear braces for years.

Anyways, I have enjoyed following your progress on this site...your teeth look great!!

Blake

Tommm

#104 Post by Tommm »

Thanks Blake! Sorry to hear about your setback but just think about how fast this last year went by. October will be here in no time. Looking forward to your updates man :)

pisceangirl

#105 Post by pisceangirl »

Wow - your teeth look fantastic!

Congratulations Tommm!!!!