Blake24 - Braces Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Blake24

Blake24 - Braces Story

#1 Post by Blake24 »

Hello everyone. I posted this on the "Bracket Club" forum originally, but I have decided I want to chronicle my story and progress here. So here it goes! By the way, and I know this question has been answered a million times, but how do you post good pictures on here?

...I have been checking out this site ever since I found out that I was going to need braces (December 17th, 2008 ) on both my uppers and lowers. I have to say, this site has a wealth of information that has made me feel quite comfortable with the fact that I am getting braces. So, that being said, here is a little more about me...

I am a 24 year old male living in Orange County California and working in the Accounting world. I have wanted braces ever since I attended elementary school, mainly because all of my friends were getting them. When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I went to the orthodontist for the first time, only to find out that all of my gaps and misaligned teeth would correct themselves as I got older. I am not sure if he was just telling me this because my parents really didn't have the money and he was trying to get the idea of having braces out of my head, or because my teeth would really correct themselves. Well, they didn't correct themselves. All four of my Wisdom teeth came in rather straight and my dentist told me that there would be no reason to take them out because I have plenty of room in my jaw. Well, the Wisdom teeth started to push my teeth around a little bit, causing minor crowding on my lowers, and a slight inversion on my uppers (I am not sure of the terminology so bare with me). Now here I am, 24 years old, with my own career and the means to make frivolous/necessary financial decisions. I decided that I want that perfect smile, well, as perfect as my teeth and mouth will allow. So I went into the Orthodontist to inquire about Invisalign and to see what my options were. He told me that Invisalign would not get the results that I want and that I will need Braces on my uppers and lowers for 24 months. Well, that was a bit of a shocker, but the shock was relieved when he told me that I would not be needing extractions and that I could keep my Wisdom teeth, even after the braces are done.

I am getting Damon 3's (the half clear, half metal brackets) on my uppers and Damon 3MX's on my lowers. I am not sure if those are the same, but I guess I will find out. I get my uppers put on February 2nd and my lowers put on two weeks later. Pictures soon to follow...if I can figure the thing out!

- Blake24
[/b]

Blake24

#2 Post by Blake24 »

Well it's official; I now have my top braces on, and wow, what an experience. I got them on yesterday at 10:00 AM, and I have to admit, I was a little nervous. I wasn't nervous about the process (everyone on here has made me well aware of what to expect), I was more nervous about the seriousness of the situation, how long they would be on, and how everyone would perceive me. Most of my anxiety went away once the ortho started to smooth out the edges of my teeth. It only took about 20 minutes to get them put on...I think. The weirdest moment was when the assistant took the lip expander out of my mouth and told me to go rinse out my mouth. That was when I first felt them against the inside of my lips, and I remember thinking "wow, these feel bigger and more jagged then I thought they would." I decided not to look at my mouth in the mirror as I rinsed, but rather, I would wait until the wire was put on and I was ready to go. When the assistant started to close the doors on my wire (I have Damon's) I instantly felt the tension pulling on my teeth. This was also not as intense as I expected...it felt like a little tug, but nothing more. When the assistant was done, she gave me a hand mirror and wanted to show me how to brush. This is when I saw my mouth for the first time, and I started thinking "how on earth am I going to explain this and rationalize to all my friends that it was the right thing for me to do...being single, 24, enjoying life/night life/single life haha, and spending $6,000 on a bunch of metal that is definitely not helping my "game," or whatever you want to call it." Well, to make a long story short, the assistant told me what not to eat, how to floss, the importance of brushing, etc. etc (all of which I learned from this site), and she sent me on my way. I got in my car, looked in the mirror, freaked out a little bit, and then drove to Jamba Juice to get a huge smoothie. When I got to work a few of my friends commended me and said that they don't look too bad. I didn't have any pain until last night when I noticed one tooth felt very loose and was actually sore. I put wax on one of the last brackets because it started to chafe the inside of my cheek. When I woke up this morning most of my teeth felt loose and ached a little bit. I took a few Ibuprofens and went off to work. I have been taking Advil pretty much all day, but for the most part the braces are not bothering me...only when I eat, of course. I have been sticking to soft food; oatmeal, pasta, mashed potatoes. I can't wait until the pressure and the soreness goes away and I feel like the braces are actually part of my teeth.

Well, that was a long story! I will keep updating this as much as I can and try to post pictures soon.

Blake24

Tommm

#3 Post by Tommm »

Congrats on the new braces Blake! I'm with you on the loss of "game" thing but at least now you can just focus on the less superficial women? (I know that may be rough in the OC but... I grew up there so I know). Anyways, you'll come out of this a new man so no worries.

Blake24

#4 Post by Blake24 »

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I agree, I think that any "worthwhile" girl will see past these metal things. I keep thinking that in two years (hopefully less) I will be incredibly happy with the results, and that is what makes it all worth it.

- Blake

Rachel B

#5 Post by Rachel B »

Congrats on your braces Blake 24.

I've had mine in a week today and they feel much more like my normal mouth so you'll get used to them really quickly.

Keep updating :lol: Rach :lol:

Blake24

Blake 24 - Braces Story...now w/pics

#6 Post by Blake24 »

Thanks Rachel B. Yeah I am already beginning to get somewhat used to them. It has been about 5 days now and I only think about them every 3 - 4 minutes instead of every 30 seconds like I used to. Anyways, here are some pics of my before teeth...if it works

[/img]

Rio UK

#7 Post by Rio UK »

Hi Blake Good luck with your brace journey! I do understand about the whole "game" thing. Being 28 years old and single I worried about the same thing, but ive been on a few dates with guys since I got my braces :D Although I only have metal braces on my bottom and invisalign on the top teeth, I still have big attachments which are really noticable :oops:
And a "worthwhile" girl would definately see past your braces. :wink:
Invisalign upper teeth on July 16th 2008: 14 aligners.
Fixed brace bottom teeth 8th October 2008!

Blake24

#8 Post by Blake24 »

Finally I have some photos to post!!! The first couple are after having braces for 1 week...

Here are some photos after having braces for nearly 3 weeks...my teeth have shifted in a way (not sure if it is a good shift or not, but I am patient haha)...

So like I said, I am not sure how my teeth are moving right now...I notice that my bite feels completely different now. I am pretty used to the braces now, except for the wire poking me in the back of my cheek. I need to go into the Ortho to have them snipped. The only time it pokes my cheek is when I laugh or start talking a bunch...I have been putting wax on those two back molars in order to stop the irritation. I hope you enjoy the pics. I plan on posting some more when I notice a little more movement.

Blake[/img]

Miss Smiley

#9 Post by Miss Smiley »

Well didn't you start off with some lovely teeth and great jaws?! I'm jealous of your pre-treatment pics! Well they look great and don't seem like they'd have to be braced for 2 full years. Don't worry about what you look like with braces, most people won't notice or they'll probably ask a couple questions. And there isn't anything sexier than a young man who has nice teeth! So don't forget to brush after you eat. :D
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Blake24

#10 Post by Blake24 »

Hey Miss Smiley, thanks for the comments. I guess my arches are in decent condition, and I am lucky that my jaw is alright...I am especially happy that I don't have to get my wisdom teeth extracted, which seems to be pretty common. I guess I am a little disappointed that my teeth haven't really moved in the three weeks, but I guess it can't be that fast for everyone. But hey, I wouldn't be too jealous because it seems like we are all in the same boat haha.

I do notice that I am not as ashamed to display them for other people now as opposed to when I first got braced...which is good! I am glad that they are starting to feel like a part of my mouth and not some foreign sharp metal things.

Blake24

#11 Post by Blake24 »

Hey Miss Smiley, thanks for the comments. I guess my arches are in decent condition, and I am lucky that my jaw is alright...I am especially happy that I don't have to get my wisdom teeth extracted, which seems to be pretty common. I guess I am a little disappointed that my teeth haven't really moved in the three weeks, but I guess it can't be that fast for everyone. But hey, I wouldn't be too jealous because it seems like we are all in the same boat haha.

I do notice that I am not as ashamed to display them for other people now as opposed to when I first got braced...which is good! I am glad that they are starting to feel like a part of my mouth and not some foreign sharp metal things.

Blake24

#12 Post by Blake24 »

Update:

Today I finally made time to call my Ortho so I could have these wires snipped! Last night when I was running on the treadmill at the gym, I noticed that the wires were causing some stinging...something I hadn't felt before. I thought "ok, that's it, I need these things cut. My inner cheeks are soo cut up due to these wires. I called my Ortho this morning thinking that it would take a day or two to schedule an appointment, but it turned out that they could see me within the hour. So I went into the office during my lunch break, sat in the chair, had a few snips and I was good to go. The assistant took a small drill to smooth out the edge of the wire. She told me to use wax for the next couple of days in order for my cheeks to return to normal. haha, man I wish I just found the time to go in a few weeks ago...my mouth feels soo much better now!

Blake

brika

#13 Post by brika »

I'm glad to hear that you're getting more comfortable with your braces! They look great, don't be afraid to smile! :D

Ah, wire snippage. I had to get mine snipped for the first time last week! It's great that they got you in so quickly...I had to wait until the day after I called, and I was down to my last blob of wax. :shock: hehe. But I hear you, it does feel like heaven afterward!

Blake24

#14 Post by Blake24 »

Well the day is here........today is my 1 month anniversary since B-Day!!

Let's see, some updates on everything and the changes since day 1:

I never was a night brusher before I got braces, and since I got them I consistently brush 4 times a day. At first it was a drag to brush so often, after meals and coffee, but now it is part of my routine. I went three weeks with protruding wires out of the back brackets, which cut up my cheeks pretty badly. Now the wires have been snipped and the back of my cheeks have healed. One of the major differences was interacting with people. At first I was very cautious with my speech, hiding the braces as much as possible. Of course, no matter how hard I tried people could still see them glisten and then they would ask about them. Now, a month later, pretty much everyone has seen them so there are no more questions. Now whenever I talk I pretty much forget that they are even on. My speech has returned to normal. I used to cut myself short if I was going to burst into laughing, but now I laugh as hard as I used to.

As for the physical changes, I can't tell just by looking at my teeth that much has moved...probably because I look at my teeth every day. I do notice the difference in my bite. Before braces only a couple teeth would touch when I bit down. If I wanted to chew food I would have to switch to one side of my mouth or the other to grind the food because my bite was uneven. Now when I bite both sides of my mouth grind simultaneously! Also, my top right lateral incisor was pretty far up...that was the first tooth I noticed when I got my braces because the wire was so bent. Now, 1 month later, that tooth seems to be coming down nicely. I still haven't seen any movement on the gap between my two central incisors, but I have a feeling that those two teeth won't move until after my first adjustment. My brother did mention that it looks like my arch is wider than it was before, which is cool.

Other than that, I think that pretty much brings you all up to speed.

I hope everyone else out there is doing well with their journeys!

Blake

Tommm

#15 Post by Tommm »

Congrats on your 1 month bro! :)