New here and to braces!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pegasus2425

New here and to braces!

#1 Post by pegasus2425 »

Hello all, new to this whole thing, so please be patient! I'm 28 and will be braced on Feb. 16! :jump: A little background: I have a serious overbite (110%), a very small mouth and a host of other issues! As a teen my mother didn't have dental coverage and we lived in Germany, so braces there were very expensive. No problem, fine by me. When I came back to the US I visited 2 dentist who, looking back now weren't all that great, but they told me that at 18 ortho would just be cosmetic and the type of insurance I had would not pay for it. So fast forwar 10 years... my hubby has awesome dental that includes ortho, so I'm set to get banded!
I've had my consult, and records, and yesterday got my treatment plan! I'm so stoked, I've watched my 9yr old go through the process (phase I) and saw how much it helped her confidance soar, now it's my turn.
Now here is my question; I go in this saturday for my final cleaning before banding, and my banding date is the 16th. So my ortho said since I live 1 1/2 hrs away I could put in my own spacers...I had to put my daughtetrs back in when they fell out. So ok I can do this (yeah right) I come home last night thinking I'd go ahead and try and what do you know my teeth are jammed to tight and my mouth to small to get any leavrage to get them in. I was able to thread the floss through and pull the spacer inbetween the teeth but was unsucsessful in snapping the band up, so the whole o-ring was totally jammed down by my gums. I left them in thinking it would open up enough for me to properly install them, but when I woke up, it was hurting so bad that I had to take them out. So do any of you know if it's ok for the whole band to be inbetween the teeth, or will I have to suck it up and go back to the ortho to get them placed?

sdawdy

#2 Post by sdawdy »

Welcome aboard!!!

Congrats on taking the plunge.

I think it is awesome that you and your daughter get to go thru this process together.

As far as the spacers that I had, some of them were completely in between the teeth and some kind of stuck out the top (giving me a bouncing effect when i would close my mouth). Personally, before you make the drive (holy cow what a drive)....I would give them a call and ask. Yes the hurt like the dickens....for me that has been the worst part of my treatment and I am month 23 of my journey.

Best of luck and keep us updated. If you have a camera...take pictures that way you can see your progress as you move forward in treatment!

AMiles

#3 Post by AMiles »

Welcome!

I would suggest calling your ortho before you make the drive out there, to see if there is anything else you could try to get them in.

I personally don't remember my experience with my spacers, so I can't give any advice towards that.

pegasus2425

Thank you

#4 Post by pegasus2425 »

Thanks for the advice, and the warm welcome!
Actually my daughter is getting her brackets off in March or so, but since she's only 9 ( they started her early for her severe gap) she'll be back in them at 12. I was so shocked to find how quickly her teeth moved, and it gives me hope as well, since we have all the same issues. Yep, she's my mini me!
As far as the spacers are concerned, I have to go to the dentist tomorrow for my final cleaning before banding, and my ortho and dentist are in the same office I'm going to ask one of the techs or hygenist if they can get them in.
I will be taking my camera with me to take pic as we go along the day of banding, and will post them later.
I'm just so excited! I have always wanted braces, but understood that money was tight as a teen. I don't really feel stupid or selfconcious about the braces, more like I feel that way about not having them! And I'm all for color!!! The brighter more abnoxious, the better! I'll be getting metal ( just on top for now) so I figure I aught to dress them up a bit!
Anyhoo, sorry to ramble, and I'll continue the story later.