Deville's Journey...First adjustment!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

deville

#16 Post by deville »

Counting down! By this time tomorrow I'll be braced!! Well, half of me will :)

RainAndTangerines

#17 Post by RainAndTangerines »

Hi Deville!! Tomorrows the big day wooo!! Hope everything goes smoothly for you!!

It's funny, I used to do that "practiced" smile just like you did with trying to to hide the snaggle teeth. :lol: I am so glad I don't have to worry about pretending to smile a certain way so people don't recognize the crookedness.

deville

#18 Post by deville »

Thanks RainandTangerines - today's gone so slowly because I just can't wait :D

Another update: It appears one of my spacers was so excited about tomorrow, it jumped clean out of my mouth! Well, actually I swallowed it with dinner. Strangely, it's more uncomfortable without it than it was with it and aches a little bit. I was so proud I'm managed to keep them in too.

deville

#19 Post by deville »

They're on! And not just the bottom set either, but both!?!?! So far so good - except that I was in a mad rush this morning putting my little kit together (spent about $50) and of course they gave me a pack when I left including everything I bought :) Oh well, I have plenty of stuff now.

Between last night and this afternoon the gap where the spacer had falled out had closed by about half, but they managed to get a molar band on any way, after much pushing and shoving. I have to say, the molar bands were by far the worst bit, and in a few months time I get another two.

I got a bit of a case of the giggles once they'd been put on - a combination of excitement and relief I guess - especially as I really thing they're kind of cute - not at all ugly like I thought they would be! My only regret was letting the dental nurse talk me into white ligs instead of clear - because if it wasn't for the white ligs - I don't think you'd be able to notice them at all. I have an adjustment in 3 weeks so I'll ask for them to change the ligs then, if they don't anyway. For some reason they really seem to like the shape and colour of my teeth and are already planning on using me as a model case (!) and even went as far to show me where my blown up tooth shot is going to go :shock: Acutally, other than my chipped front tooth - the only thing I've ever liked is the shape and colour of my individual teeth - so I'm a little chuffed about their comments :)

Already I can feel my bottom teeth are a bit wiggly / clicky, which is great! And maybe I'm being ultra hopeful, but part of the wire is already poking out a bit on my molar, when it was well inside the tube when he put the archwire on.

Here's the all important shot so that I can look back and see how far I've come:

Ridiculously huge grin:

Bottom arch:

Top arch:

Normal smile:

Katarina527

Welcome!

#20 Post by Katarina527 »

hi, your new braces look great! I hope you get as much movement as I have so far! It is so great to look at the progress in pics!

Chrissy

#21 Post by Chrissy »

Congratulations, I wish you all the best!! Your teeth look lovely and I am sure once it's done, it's going to look amazing ..... hang in there! :D

deville

#22 Post by deville »

Thanks everyone for your comments! Unfortunately I've had tonsillitis since Friday morning (started about 6 hours before I got banded) and I can officially report that the white ligs do stain like heck, and are now a lovely lemon yellow thanks to the medicine I had to take :oops:

Oh well, at least it's only 3 weeks until the next adjustment so I can get them changed! I think I'll go with the clear ones next time... While I know they stain, in general I don't have a lot of heavily coloured food (I'll save my spag bol for the day before adjustments) and I think I'll just start using a straw for my cups of tea! At least there'll be a little more invisibility and I know now that the white will stain anyway.

One thing I was not prepared for was the face washing experience! The first day I washed my face I was thinking that it couldn't get stranger than feeling these giant lumps in your mouth, but it does... Wiggly teeth that move when you run the flannel over them *shudders*! That's an extremely odd sensation.

deville

#23 Post by deville »

So, of course, now I read that white and clear are the two colours that stain the most - duh! How I missed the white, I don't know.

Anyway, today was my first day back at work after the tonsillitis, and needless to say I sat at there all morning keeping my mough clamped shut until two really unexpected things happened...

1) One of the people I had told about the braces came up to see how I was this morning. It wasn't until she was talking to me in the afternoon when she said - 'hang on, have you got them on the top as well? Seriously, I didn't notice!'

This cheered me up no end because she actually knew to be looking...

2) One of my work mates came up to say good morning and after a few minutes he said 'have you got your braces on finally? Wow, they look really good!' Which made me feel a little special (although I think he was also buttering me up as I'm judging a contest he's in soon ;P) .

My big plan had been to get a new hairstyle and wear my contacts to detract from the braces, however having been unwell this just wasn't going to happen, so I was well pleased to get some compliments. By the end of the day I realised how silly it was to hide them and just started smiling and talking like normal! I did cave in though and called the ortho to arrange an appointment to change the ligs... And I know I'm letting myself in for it again, but I think I'll try the clear and stay well away from the lemsip which is what stained these ones! I've already de-coloured my pantry and fridge (apart from veges) and I don't drink fizzy drink or coloured drinks of any kind other than tea anyway. I've also stocked up on straws and am going to replace the manual toothbrush in my work 'kit' with an electric one. It's worth a try anyway!

DaneAnthony

#24 Post by DaneAnthony »

Hey there Deville,

Looking at your pictures, it seems we are going through a very similar experience! I had some really crowded and crooked teeth which worsened over the years when my wisoms came through. Anyway, had the 8 teeth extracted and got braces with clear ligs and fast forward 10 months later and I don't even recognise m teeth anymore!

You will be amazed at how quickly your teeth will respond to the braces! Mine have moved incredibly fast. My original time in braces was 2 years, however at my last adjustment my Ortho told me he would be booking me into get my braces off early next year - almost a full year early!!!

Hope you enjoy watching your teeth move! The best part is comparing the photos and seeing your smile transform!!!! I wish you all the best and will be watching your progress with excitement!!!

Dane :-)
Next Adjustment: August 20th, 2008 at 5pm

My Story:
[url=http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=24942[/url]

deville

#25 Post by deville »

Cheers Dane :) I have to say while I can't see the difference, my bite had already changed so things are definately on the move!

After nearly missing my appt. thanks to a 30 minute meeting that turned into an hour, I got my ligs changed this morning to clear ones - this was despite the dental nurse spending a good 5 minutes trying to talk me out of it, fortunately the ortho was completely sympathetic... Wow, I can't believe how much better they look! The ligs have been the only things bothering me (at the wrong angle they looked like little piranha teeth)- I spent all afternoon smiling my head off and finally not worrying about how they look. Yes, I know they'll stain, but I've got a battle plan already to keep them as un-stained as possible, and as long as they don't end up looking like piranha teeth I'll be happy.

Here they are:

deville

#26 Post by deville »

Here they are at their first adjustment:

I'll upload some shots of the bottom etc. later.

I am so happy with the results so far! It's only been three weeks (I had the adjustment 1 week early because his office is shutting down for Christmas) and already I see so much improvement and even a tiny little bit of widening in my arch, which I didn't expect to see at all! I haven't really experienced any discomfort other than a little bit of rubbing on my lower lip, easily fixed with some wax for a day and the only part I've not been entirely comfortable with is brushing my teeth at work - but only when other people are in the room who seem to think it's OK to stop and stare :shock:

Again I've gone for the clear ligs on top. I only had the others for two weeks, but I was still pretty happy with them after that time; they certainly had yellowed a little bit, but it really was only a slight change so I'm not yet too concerned about it. This will be the first time I have them for 4 weeks, so I'll see how they go then! The dental nurse was still a little huffy with me for not choosing white like she suggested, but as I tried to explain to her, I'll never know if I'm happy with clear ligs if I don't try and the white stained more in three days than these have in two weeks! I've seen a lot of you here have coloured ligs on ceramic brackets, but I'm not yet that brave... we'll see how it goes!

One thing I did notice when I was brushing my teeth last night, is that he didn't put a ligature on my top right second incisor. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but of course it was about two hours after his office shut that I noticed it, and he won't be open for 3 weeks, so I'll have no way of knowing for quite some time. Luckily it is on one of my two previously straight (and now even straighter) teeth so I don't think it will greatly impact on the movement - and I guess I won't have to worry about it staining :lol: I"m going to leave a message on their machine to let them know, and I guess they can call me in earlier if needed.

grneydfairy

#27 Post by grneydfairy »

deville wrote: Yes, I know they'll stain, but I've got a battle plan already to keep them as un-stained as possible
What's your battle plan?!

deville

#28 Post by deville »

grneydfairy wrote: What's your battle plan?!
Well, my plan was to carry an electric toothbrush to work instead of a manual one, change my toothpaste and mouthwash to a colourless type, to rinse every night with hydrogen peroxide before brushing, and finally to simply make sure that I brushed my teeth ASAP after all meals and coffee or teas...

I can happily say that this worked really well! Yes, there was some yellowing, but at the 4th week, there was less staining than there had been in two weeks the first time around and in general I was very happy with the results.

One thing that's been great about the braces is getting experimental with food.. Finding things with a lot of taste, but not too much colour has been quite fun, and I'm eating healthier and appreciating what I do eat that much more. The one thing I can't eat is strawberries in any shape or form (not even in yoghurt) as I get this electric/metallic taste in my mouth immediately which lasts for days and for the first few hours is actually a little painful. All it takes is one small bite, as I soon discovered, and I'm in for a nasty experience!

Other than that, I'm really excited about the progress my teeth have made, so I'll be posting an update here shortly :)

deville

A bit of a catch up...

#29 Post by deville »

I'm actually only a couple of weeks away from adjustment number 4, so this is more of a restrospective! While I've been lazy here, I've been keeping a separate blog with my updates in it so below is a condensed version, minus other ramblings :)

Adjustment 2:

It's now just under 2 months into treatment and couldn't be happier! So far, no real pain and I'm really impressed with how quickly my teeth have moved. The down sides?

1. They're moving so fast that already the wires are poking through into my cheeks within a couple of days of being clipped and I'm getting excessive rubbing (but wax fixes this immediately)
2. I'm getting strange white patches on my 1st molars and bottom of an incisor, not like calcification (looks like bonding is in my future)
3. The chip in my front tooth is now terribly obvious because my front teeth are now nice and straight!

These are all things that are easily addressed either now or once the braces are off and they're totally minor compared to how happy I am about my teeth!

I got a little worried about the white patches on my molars, which are the ones that have molar bands around them, and on the lower edge of the incisor that was originally behind the other teeth and suspect it's the hydrogen peroxide I've been rinsing with to keep my ligatures clear. I've used H2O2 for over a year as a rinse and have never noticed that it whitens my teeth so I'm not totally sure this is the cause (and why would my other teeth not be whitening?) but regardless I've stopped using this as a rinse.

Any way, here are the progress pics:

deville

#30 Post by deville »

Errrrr - what happened to the editing function that used to be there??!!??!!?!? Not sure why the pics didn't post first time around, so excuse the double up, but for some reason I can't edit :(