spinninglaura's brace story! first days in braces(withpics)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spinninglaura

spinninglaura's brace story! first days in braces(withpics)

#1 Post by spinninglaura »

So I have wanted 'perfect' teeth for a long long time now. The main thing I hate is that my upper and lower jaw are such different sizes that it means i have a lot of gum on show when I smile.

Many of my friends say its not an issue... but it sure is to me, my lower teeth are also very crowded, and I have some other probs too!

So I went to an ortho and I (naively) was hoping he would say I could have some major surgery break my jaw etc and it would be done. However reality is never that quick so its 18months- 2years in braces for me! Oh and one extraction.

So at 23 just about to start my Masters degree in London I’m going to get braces..... Honestly I’m scared, I’m worried what people will say and think (especially with having to meet so many new people soon).

But having read people's posts on this forum I know that it wont be as bad as I think (Ihope!) and that it is worth it. I really want my teeth sorted!

So any one have any words of advice or support would be great to hear from you, also do you need to take pain relief before having an extraction?

Laura
Last edited by spinninglaura on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

tamsin23

#2 Post by tamsin23 »

Hi Laura!

I think 23 seems to be a magic age for braces..that and 51, I'm reading alot of braces stories and these ages seem to be common! :D

When is your brace day? I can totally understand feeling nervous about the first day at uni, but think everyone will be feeling nervous and you will have a talking point at least!

Can't give any advice, as my teeth are hurting at the mo- but ask me in a week and I'm sure ill say i feel normal and not to worry!! :wink:
[/url]

kittenmaisey

hiya

#3 Post by kittenmaisey »

Hi Laura,

your post caught my eye.. as you are from in London?
I'm still thinking about braces again at the age of 42! so dont worry.

Was just wondering which Ortho you are using? Understand if you dont want to say.

Good luck.. people will see your braces and :o wish they had the guts to do it!

Kittenmaisey

spinninglaura

#4 Post by spinninglaura »

hi
kittenmaisey- I am going to be studying in London, unfortunately do not have enough money to rent there at the moment. (its a lot righer than what im used to!). So im staying with some family outside of london for now and am getting my braces here... in hampshire. are you in london?

I know it will be worth it when it's all done!.... but am yet to have any pain yet... may feel differently then!lol!

Tasmin23- Thats cool that alot of people are 23 most people i have spoken to are 30ish. I dont know why but its good to know people my age are doing it. I guess its just that career wise im 'starting out' rather than established so I worry about the impact on that.

Brace day is 3 weeks away! (3rd oct)

Thank you both for the posts!

Laura

spinninglaura

photos!

#5 Post by spinninglaura »

So Yesterday I had my first ever tooth taken out. I had a back right side molar taken out to make space for a wisdom tooth to drop down.

I am so happy that I went to the surgeon linked with my orthodontist. There were 3 people in total looking after me!!

I am terrified of needles (silly but true!) so was freaking slightly. The people were so nice though. I was given an Ibuprofen, an antiseptic mouth wash and some sedative (tamizipan ?!-i think!). After this I was given 3 injections.

I then stumbled to the next room.. As my surgeon said... I had just had the equivalent of 3 large Gin and Tonics!! I had one assistant literally just holding my hand, another with the sucky tube thing, and the surgeon.

He said he had to 'clean' the tooth before taking it out... turned out this was actually him taking it out! (I was happy to be told white lies!). It was an odd feeling... allot of pressure (but not pain) although at one point I mumbled it feels like your going to break my jaw (that was how much pressure it was) :shock:

All done now though! No pain really that evening, today however I woke up to an ache and it hurts allot

Aftercare:
I have to take anti-inflammatory tablets and painkillers for 72hours and I have to rinse my mouth with a warm salt water rinse every 4 hours for 3-5 days!!

Photos:
Of my tooth! Cant take any inside my mouth as its right at the back. Will post some of my teeth profile when I can get some one to take them for me!

catfish

#6 Post by catfish »

Hi spinninglaura - cool pic of your former tooth! I'm betting you're past the worst of it now.

Braces aren't exactly a walk in the park, but the discomfort that does go with them isn't constant or unbearable. If you need spacers, that will probably be the next hurdle. I found them to be more annoying than painful, though. I'm betting that the extraction you just had will be the worst part. You're over the hump!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

spinninglaura

#7 Post by spinninglaura »

So

I have had my braces put on! I was nervous before the appointment, even though I ahve read from so many people what its like. Finally getting the braces on just scared me a bit. The whole thing took about an hour, taking photos, making moulds of my teeth and then putting the actualy braces on!

Putting the braces on was fine.... just alot of odd mouth stretchers and suction tudes to keep my mouth open and as dry as possible! The cement type stuff got put on and then each bracket to each tooth and then 'dried' with a super bright blue light. Then the wire got threaede through. When the metal clips got attached to the wire it felt odd. As my ortho said from12.00 on oct 3rd, things started happening.

At first the view in the mirror was horrid!!! but half of that was i could hear myself lisping and my mouth felt the size of a football! The pain didnt kick in untill later where at one stage i just wanted to have it taken off!! however even just on my third day of having them on the pain is hardly anything compared to what it was.
I also dont mind my braces to much already... which im shocked about thought it would take me a lot longer to get over them!

Have started to get some mouth sores where the brace rubs a bit... thats not nice.

As for eating! I am a big foodie so not loving the lack of eating skills! I ahve mainly eaten smoothies, and mashed food (e.g. potato, carrots, and mashed caulifour and cheese last night!). My tactic is to cut things very small suck them to death and then swallow, this worked particulaly well for very soft filled pasta!!! When my teeth touch together it shoots pain everywhere so dont think ill be eating properly for a while!

However already at day 3 (day 1 thought this day wouldnt happen!) im glad to have them on and to be finally sorting my teeth...

So the photos! these are on day one... the coloured spots where just used to place the brackets, they come off after brushing a few times..... so time to sit back and watch the change (next visit..8weeks!!!)

one thing though.... has highlighted just how bad my teeth are!... will try and add pics of inside so can see how overlapping teeth are at a later date!

flesh-was-sweet

#8 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Congratulations on getting braced!

They look fab!

Can't wait to see your updates!

jxds

#9 Post by jxds »

Congratulations! You have nice clear braces with white archwires! And our teeth will look great when you're done! I wish I had clear braces too, even if you get used even to the metal-look!

Don't worry about what will people think: I was kind of concerned too but nobody really cares that much -many people does not even say anything at all.

Good luck!

spinninglaura

#10 Post by spinninglaura »

so nearly two weeks in thought i would give an update.....

I am now able to actually eat solid food rather than stuff which looks like baby food. However im not able to bite into anything, there just doesn’t seem to be the strength/im nervous of pinging braces off!

I am quite conscious of eating in public still.... very worried that lots of bits of food will be stuck in my braces. But so far every time i have checked after eating its nearly 100% clear. Think that is something i will just have to get used to.

I have had a few comments made about my lisp (first few days only) and a couple of people telling me its a good job im not 'out on the pull' which has kind of been a bit of a knock to confidence. Personally i am getting very used to them already. I do however wish it could move a bit quicker than 2 years!!!

So 6 weeks till my first adjustment, 2 weeks in and things are okay. I think they will get better each day i get my confidence back..... I keep looking at photos on here of ppl with 'b4' and 'after' photos, and each time im amazed by the difference. Just hope my teeth will change as much!!!

Laura

OzKelly

#11 Post by OzKelly »

Hi and welcome to the club. Altho I'm pretty new myself I found myself reading your tale and thinking that was me only a couple of months ago. The pain comes and goes I think. Like some days I feel fine and other days all my teeth hurt for no good reason (Not just after an adjustment).

I found that I could not BITE into things at first either but slowly that ability did come back, just be patient. I thought at first I wouldn't be eating a sandwich for the whole time I was braced, but so far I am have slowly regained my ability to bite (some things). Just be careful and slowly it will be ok.

OzKelly

#12 Post by OzKelly »

Hi and welcome to the club. Altho I'm pretty new myself I found myself reading your tale and thinking that was me only a couple of months ago. The pain comes and goes I think. Like some days I feel fine and other days all my teeth hurt for no good reason (Not just after an adjustment).

I found that I could not BITE into things at first either but slowly that ability did come back, just be patient. I thought at first I wouldn't be eating a sandwich for the whole time I was braced, but so far I am slowly regaining my ability to bite (some things). Just be careful and slowly it will be ok. I know its scary! I felt the same way too!