Grutty's story: braced at 40 - NEW three month pics page 3

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Grutty

Grutty's story: braced at 40 - NEW three month pics page 3

#1 Post by Grutty »

I have always had crooked teeth. When I was a teenager, my dentist told my parents that I should get braces, but at that time my family was not able to afford them. Also, at that time, my teeth didnt look that bad. My front teeth overlapped slightly, but most of the problems were in the back; I had a bad crossbite and crowding.

In my early adulthood, I mostly ignored my teeth. I wished they were straight, but I think slightly crooked teeth can look charming on some people, so I told myself that my teeth gave me character.

Unfortunately, as I got older, my bite continued to get worse. I developed an open bite, and my front teeth started to stick out, and I had gaps between my upper and lower teeth. I stopped smiling for photos. My crossbite got worse too, and at a routine cleaning two years ago, my dentist said, "do you realize that only two of your teeth touch when you bite down? Why dont you get braces already??"

So that got me seriously thinking about braces. I went to a few orthos for an evaluation. I was hoping I could use Invisalign on my teeth, but all of them told me that I would need traditional braces, probably for 2 years. This scared me, so I decided to forget the idea of braces.

Two years later, I was still unhappy with my teeth, my bite was continuing to get worse, and I was starting to get pain in my jaw. I was going to turn 40 in July, so I decided that now would be a good time to stop stalling and just get braces already. :lol:

So a week ago, the braces went on! I was originally planning to get metal brackets, but all of my friends who had braces as teens told me to get the clear brackets. Even my ortho recommended them due to my sensitivity to nickel, so I went with the clear ones. I thought they would be ceramic braces, but they really are clear, so I think they must be Inspire Ice brackets.

I was SO SCARED to get braced, I seriously considered breaking my appointment, up until I walked though the office door! However, this first week has been great! I had a bad headache the day my braces were put on, and I felt a lot of pressure on my teeth, but other than that, I had no pain. The next day, some of my teeth were a little sore when I chewed, but nothing major. I never had to change to a soft food diet!

Getting used to eating with braces on has been a little challenging, but not too bad. I havent had any mouth sores yet either, just a little uncomfortable rubbing on my bottom front brackets. I keep thinking, is this all there is too it??? :shock:

I dont have any bands or brackets on my back molars though, and I assume something will have to go back there. Maybe the pain will really kick in once they are braced too?

Anyway, so far so good! The clear brackets are very unnoticeable (at least to other people; they feel huge to me! :lol:), no one has noticed that I have braces on! When I mentioned to people that I had braces (sometimes after talking with them for a while) every single person claimed that they hadnt noticed. So I would definitely recommend the clear brackets for people who dont want people to see their braces. They arent that visible unless you are smiling widely.

Ok, here are some pictures. My teeth from the front: my open bite is hidden a bit by my gigantic front teeth.

My teeth from the side: you can see here how most of my teeth dont touch when I bite down.

And finally, my braces! This photo was taken the day after the braces went on.

And a photo taken today -

please excuse the big wax glob, I forgot I had it on. :) I think my teeth have moved a little already, the gaps below my laterals seem a little smaller!

So far this has been a great experience, I feel very proud to finally be getting straight teeth! I am already looking forward to my first adjustment! :D
Last edited by Grutty on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

leager2000

#2 Post by leager2000 »

Welcome to AW. I am glad you finally decided to get braces. You will be satisfied with your end result. Everyone on this site is nice and encouraging. There is bound to be several people who can relate to your story.

]

KateinCO

Welcome

#3 Post by KateinCO »

Hi Grutty!

Great pictures ... and a great story! I think you will enjoy participating in this forum ... folks here offer great encouragement and advice. Months from now, you will be really glad that you have a record of all the progress you have made!

Congrats on getting braces ... I am 37 and this has been a great adventure... having straight teeth is a wonderful thing!!

Good luck - looking forward to seeing your progress!!

Cheers from the Rocky Mountains!!
Kate

[/url]

BracedVeryLate

#4 Post by BracedVeryLate »

welcome Grutty, lots of 40+ people here!!

your teeth are moving already! i can see it clearly on the bottom teeth!

good luck!

Grutty

#5 Post by Grutty »

Thanks for the encouragement, it is good to know I am not the only one my age with braces!

My family thought I was crazy when I told them I was getting braces. My mother said "why bother to fix your teeth now? You are already married." :roll:

Luckily my husband has been very supportive. I think he was tired of hearing me complain about my teeth all the time. :lol:

jenny101101

#6 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Grutty,

First off, welcome to AW and congrats on getting braced!! :-1 They look terrific, btw.

Funny you should mention your mother's attitude towards getting braces. My mother was the same way and I almost got the feeling she was insulted...like the fact that since I was getting braces I was saying she was a bad parent for not getting them for me at a younger age :shock: . My husband has also been very supportive. I've talked about wanting to fix my teeth since we started dating and now, ten years later, I finally am able to do it! :D

I look forward to following your story :) !
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

iamtheotherme

#7 Post by iamtheotherme »

Congrats on taking the plunge. I'm sitting here laughing because our stories are nearly identical, from the braces suggestion as a teen to not really needing to change to a soft diet. Like Jenny, I think my parents felt guilty for not getting me braces as a kid, so the comments have been less, um, friendly. It's great to have a supportive spouse, too. It offsets any foolish comments you hear throughout the day.

The braces look fantastic on you. Do you have clear ligs? Have you noticed any movement yet?

I look forward to watching your story, and your smile, unfurl. :D

Grutty

#8 Post by Grutty »

Hi everyone!!

I think there was probably some guilt behind my mother's comments as well. She would never admit it though! :roll:

I Am, yes my ligs are clear. The ortho warned me that they would stain if I drink a lot of black coffee, which I do. I refuse to give up the coffee, so if the ligs stain badly before the end of the month, I will think about trying a different color.

I HAVE noticed movement, which is exciting, especially since it is in one of the areas I hate the most. My upper laterals have moved down a little, so the gaps between my upper and lower teeth are smaller, yay! I am hoping this means that I will be able to finish in 18 months instead of 24. :D

markGl

#9 Post by markGl »

I really like your brackets and yes i noticed some movement as well, i noticed a question i may be able to answer!
I dont have any bands or brackets on my back molars though, and I assume something will have to go back there. Maybe the pain will really kick in once they are braced too?
my first two months in braces i never had a wire go back there either.. it just covered my 6 top's and bottom's to make spaces with springs... yadda yadda blah blah blah... on my last adj.. they tossed the whole wire in my mouth and put it through the ( buccal tubes? correct me if im mistaken im still learning the lingo too ) and yea pain... every tooth in my mouth is now parading where ever it wants! :shock: and my molars hurt when i chew to long on them... * ouch * so be mindfull of that when you get wired back there *if* you are

Grutty

#10 Post by Grutty »

I had to go to my orthos's office today because one of the ligs popped off my bracket while I was flossing last night. oops.

I thought they would just replace the missing lig, but I ended up getting all new ones, plus a few snazzy metal ties. Does this mean I had my first adjustment?? :Questions:

Anyway, while I was in the office, they had me make an appointment to have spacers put in. So I assume I am getting molar bands; darn!! I was hoping I would get to avoid the spacers and bands and just get more brackets. :(

The bands sound awful. Does lots of food get stuck between the band and the molar?? How the heck do you get it out?

ckrobyn

#11 Post by ckrobyn »

Grutty wrote:I had to go to my orthos's office today because one of the ligs popped off my bracket while I was flossing last night. oops.

I thought they would just replace the missing lig, but I ended up getting all new ones, plus a few snazzy metal ties. Does this mean I had my first adjustment?? :Questions:

Anyway, while I was in the office, they had me make an appointment to have spacers put in. So I assume I am getting molar bands; darn!! I was hoping I would get to avoid the spacers and bands and just get more brackets. :(

The bands sound awful. Does lots of food get stuck between the band and the molar?? How the heck do you get it out?
You had a partial adjustment, a full adjustment is when you get a new wire :)

I don't have molar bands I won't be getting them - I assume that is why you are getting the spacers put in.

Thanks for sharing your story! I am 41 and got my braces about 2 months ago. The first few weeks were a bit rough, but now I'm so used to them it feels funny when the ortho takes out the wire at my adjustments!!!

Grutty

#12 Post by Grutty »

It has been just over a month since my brace day, so I am posting a one month progress pic!

Here I am in my second day of braces

and here I am now

My teeth have already moved a lot, I am amazed. In the first photo, I had to do a Billy Idol sneer to show the brackets on my upper laterals, but now they show when I smile normally. Woo! :jump:

Another month and I will be done! Not. :lol:

I still have the overjet and the open bite, which isnt that visible from the front, also all of the crowding and the crossbite in the back.

Tonight I go to have spacers put in, ugh, and next week I will get molar bands, and my first real adjustment. I am not looking forward to the spacers OR the molar bands, but hopefully my teeth will continue to keep moving fast.

You can see that my clear ligs have stained a little, probably from all of the coffee I drink, but it isnt bad enough to really bother me.

Flaka

#13 Post by Flaka »

Wow Grutty! your teeth have really moved, just look at your archwire! And your lateral incisors are coming down nicely and you only have one month in. :banana: Congrats

Grutty

#14 Post by Grutty »

Hi Flaka, thanks, your teeth are looking good too!

I had the spacers put in last night, ow. They arent that bad, but my teeth are sore. It looks like they just shoved regular bracket ligs between my teeth. I wish I had known, I would have asked to pick a color! :lol: The dental assistant picked black, so now it looks kind of like I have some huge scary fillings.

catfish

#15 Post by catfish »

Hey Grutty, amazing progress after just one month! That must be very exciting and encouraging for you. :)

Yeah, the spacers are not a thing of beauty. Fortunately, we only have to wear them for a very short time. And it's a relief when they remove them.

Good luck on the rest of your journey!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom