OzKelly - 2nd Adj - Still problems with the sliding Archwire

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OzKelly

OzKelly - 2nd Adj - Still problems with the sliding Archwire

#1 Post by OzKelly »

Hi,

My name is Kelly and I am 29 years old. I just got braces on yesterday, and found this forum to be very handy.

My story so far.

I have always had pretty average teeth. Not overly crooked and none missing, they just always were in need of a little something.

Anyways, about 6 months ago I woke with a loose tooth. I went to a new dentist/orthodontist and he advised me that I had a baby tooth, and it would need to be pulled. I wasnt very happy with this idea, since the loose tooth was sort of at the front of my mouth. However I was informed there was nothing to be done to save my little baby tooth, and, it was pulled. I had spent 29 years of my life with that tooth, and in 5 mins the ortho had it pulled.

Anyways, to cut a long story short, I was told that I had 2 options to fix the gap. I could get an implant, and that would be that. Or I could go all the way, and get braces, and a lot of other stuff done (apparently the tooth that was pulled didnt belong there, and the tooth next to it should be in that spot. Confusing I know).

After further X Rays, I was informed that I had 2 other baby teeth (the ones just beside my 2 front teeth on the OTHER side) and that if I didnt do something about them, they would also fall out at some point.

I went away and thought long and hard. Did I really want Braces? Did I really want to have 2 perfectly good (baby) teeth pulled, and a huge gap in my mouth? I work with people on a day to day basis and lets say I didnt like the idea of it one bit.

After a while I decided to bite the bullet. I put off the appointment for 6 months, and finally after so long, had my appointment yesteday.

The actual appointment itself, was not too bad. The braces were ok. Bit uncomfortable sitting there for 45mins with a lip and tounge spreader, but hay, it could have been worse. So anyways, after putting them on, I noticed the surgeon holding a needle.

I hate needles, and I hate dentists, so this was double the fear. He rubbed the area with some stuff to numb the area, and then I felt the needles. It wasnt as painful as I had imagined, but it hurt a little. I started to tremble. I'm not sure why. I think it was a fear tremble to be honest. Then we waited a few minutes. I was so scared. I kept asking, "Am I gonna feel you pull them? Is it going to hurt".

The surgeon kept saying, "No you wont feel it" but I was still petrified. Then I saw the pliers in his hand, and I closed my eyes.

It didnt hurt. I could feel him tugging and I knew that the tooth was gone. And then again with the second baby tooth. 3 of my babies were now gone for ever. I have a huge gap in my teeth now.

I have been told that my adult tooth never came down, and its still up there somewhere. The ortho showed me the X Ray, and I could clearly see the adult tooth. The surgeon, cut my gums, and exposed this tooth. He has also attached a little wire to it which is attached to the arch wire. The ortho says this will pull it down (hopefully).

So here I am on day 2. I am a little bit sore. Mostly were the teeth were pulled, and the wire is rubbing on my gum. I have the clear braces, I think theyare ceramic but I really dont know to be honest. I will have to ask on my next vist. They dont look too bad, apart from the gap, but I think it will take some time getting used to them.

I am unable to eat anything at the moment, just soft liquidy stuff. I can't chew as when I try to put my molars together my top front teeth come down over my braces.

I just came back from the grocery store, with lots of canned soups, custards, yogurts etc. I am hoping that within a week I can progress to simply soft foods, like rice and pasta.

I will post an update in a week or so.

in the meantime I would love to hear from anyone else who has or is going to get implants. All I know at the moment is that they are very pricey, and they take months to do.... I don't know if I should be scared...... : (

Thanks for listening.

Kelly from Oz
Last edited by OzKelly on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:35 am, edited 7 times in total.

BracedVeryLate

#2 Post by BracedVeryLate »

Hi Kelly, ...welcome!
wow, you have had a lot of excitement so far!

I recently got a baby tooth pulled also, and it was in my mouth for even longer than yours! It was in the canine position. (My canine was surgically removed as a teenager in a completely useless procedure.) I did not have great dental care as a child and then I ignored the problems until now.

I will also get an implant, and after reading some of the other posts, I have a lot of new questions for my dental team. Since there appears to be an extended healing time, I want to get the post put in while I am still in braces if possible. I believe there are some others here having that done.
The cost is high, my total treatment will be about $10,000 including metal braces, one implant and 4 tooth extractions, but I want to make sure I have teeth when I am older.

There are several people here who have had canine exposure surgery so you might want to do a search on that.
Good luck!

OzKelly

#3 Post by OzKelly »

Thanks for the reply. I am also hoping that the put the impants in WHILE I have the braces on. My dentist said thats what will probably happen, but I think its a case of wait and see to be honest. Depends on how my teeth align first!

My estimate for everything is up around $15,000 - $17,000 Aus 2 implants, Surgery, 3 extractions, Braces etc. I am REALLY hoping the ONE adult tooth that is up there comes down, otherwise I am looking at more surgery and another $5000.... That tooth can save me a lot of money and pain hehehe.

I guess the money isnt really the problem. I am just hoping that after all this, my teeth are good in the end. My worst fear is that after the 2 or 3 years and thousands of dollars, my teeth arent much better (or even worse).

Im a bit scared about getting the implants also, wondering if it will be a painful proceedure. Hope not.

Kelly

p.s it's day 4 and slowly getting more comfy with the braces. Still a bit tender, but hopefully with a few more days, they will feel even better.

OzKelly

Day 7

#4 Post by OzKelly »

Hello,

Well its day 7, and the only significant thing to report is my wire (which is attached to my adult tooth in order to pull it down) has come loose. I am not sure why, if the tooth has moved and thus this is why it's lose, or whether the bracket has come right off my tooth.

I called my ortho who said I should not worry about it unless it's painful. And I will be seeing him in a few days to have my stitches removed, so he will deal with it then.

The pain in my teeth has pretty much gone, there is only a little discomfort left, and the sores in my mouth are going only slightly. I cant wait for my gums to toughen up and get used to the braces. Wax is a godsend, really!

I am in the dark a little about everything. I have read a lot on here about spacers, springs, ligs etc etc and I find myself blank. My Ortho, while he seems to know his stuff, doesnt really explain much to me. After I finished my surgery and getting the braces on his just said "See you in 10 days" and that was that.

I was llike, "Um so what now"? and I had a million questions, which he answered but I figured do I really need to be asking this stuff, or should he be telling me the basics. Like what NOT to eat/do etc. Is it just me, or are other Otho's the same. I don't know if I should expect spacers or spings or whatever other gadgets are out there. He mentioned NONE of it. And after reading other stories, I think, "Is that what I need"?

Anyways, I will post some pics soon, as I can work out how to take them in focus. I know there is a method to it, just gotta work it out!

BracedVeryLate

#5 Post by BracedVeryLate »

Hi Oz, my treatment plan is somewhat of a mystery also! I know way more about braces from this forum than from any ortho visit. My ortho spent more than an hour at our first consultation, just talking. I am sure she gave me some details of the treatment plan, but I don't remember much!!
So, each visit is a surprise! My treatment seems a little boring, no crazy devices yet!

OzKelly

Day 7 first day back to work

#6 Post by OzKelly »

Well it's been a week, and yesterday I had my first day back to work since getting braced.

At first I just kept my head down and my mouth closed, and all was ok. After a little while, I showed a few of my colleagues, and most of them said they didn't even notice until I mentioned it.

It was strange how many of them told me that they have had, or want braces. I think about 80% of them said that at some stage in their life they had braces. Made me feel a bit better knowing that most ppl have bad teeth, and naturally perfect teeth are rare.

A few people asked me to speak up at times, because I think I am speaking a little softer now, but other than that mostly it wasnt as bad as I had imagined. People probably being polite, but I felt most people were being genuine.

Eating at work is a bit of a challenge, and I have made up a little home made Denta Kit to take with me in my bag. Brushed after eating. I feel like my teeth are constantly dirty, and I'm worried about bad breath and stuff. I work closely with ppl, so this is a concern. No matter what I do my teeth still feel gross.

Going for to get my stitches out in a couple of days, and hopefully the otho will fix this lose wire, it's a bit annoying.

(Will post some pics soon I promise)

catfish

#7 Post by catfish »

Hi OzKelly, welcome to the world of braces! It does get easier as time goes by, I promise.

I am scheduled to get at least one implant, maybe more depending on what my lower incisors decide to do. I haven't started the process yet, so I can't report on what it's like. I work with two people who have had them though. They say it's not exactly a walk in the park, but it's definitely worth it in the end. I have to admit I have some angst about it.

I think I'm lucky because my ortho usually tells me what he's doing. And if I have questions, he's very patient and thorough about answering them.

Good luck with your braces journey!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

OzKelly

Day 10 - And back in the chair

#8 Post by OzKelly »

Well it's day 10 and I woke up this morning to find the bracket that was attached to my adult tooth had popped off. I didnt think much of it, just thought I would have to go and get it glued back on right..... WRONG!!!

The dentist said, that he would need to cut into my gum again, to expose more of the tooth, which is up in the gum, so that the glue can adhere to a bigger surface.

So again, with the needles, yikes. And then he started drilling and cutting and doing all sorts of stuff that as it went along became more and more painful. By the end of it I realised, THIS REALLY HURTS.

Home now, and in a bit of pain again. Looking in the mirror I can see that the dentist has cut a huge gaping hole into my gum, and grinded off a fair bit of my adult tooth. It looks DISGUSTING! Like there is a crater in my gum.

Anyways, I called work and told them I'm not coming in. No way, I'm gonna pop some pain killers and watch the Olympics and hope the pain goes real soon. :(

iamtheotherme

#9 Post by iamtheotherme »

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that was the result of a lost bracket. Certainly puts my little bit of pain with the ligature removal and replacement in perspective.

What sports are you watching in the Olympics? I like to watch the more obscure sports (badminton?!?).

OzKelly

#10 Post by OzKelly »

Hi thanks for the sympathy. I'm sure everyone here is gonna have their good days and bad days, and we are all going through a lot of pain... Each to their own I think. I'm sore, but I guess it could be worse!

Just watched some of the BMX and the mens 50k walk. It's whatever they choose to show over here in Aus... : (

When it comes to the Olympics I can pretty much watch any of the sports, even tho, I would normally not watch em....

Still sore, gonna go lay down I think.... Hope I fall asleep reeeeally soon!

Kel

OzKelly

First Pics

#11 Post by OzKelly »

Here are pics after week 1 in braces. I don't expect there is much of a difference to day one, aside from 3 missing teeth, otherwise no movement yet.

I never realised how bad my teeth look until I saw these images. Yuck, what a sight!

Now i have to just wait and hope my Ortho has done the right thing, and that my teeth will straighten, and come out ok. Very nervous!

DaneAnthony

Re: First Pics

#12 Post by DaneAnthony »

Hey there fellow Ozian!

You're doing great so far! I'm sorry to hear about the pain associated with the gum cutting (that doesn't sound fun).

I never realised how bad my teeth look until I saw these images. Yuck, what a sight!

I know what you mean. When I started posting pictures of my teeth on here I thought they looked really bad but try not to let it worry you - don't forget, you would be your worst critic too! Also, remember that each day you are getting closer to a whole new smile.

The other thing is, we are posting pictures of our teeth only on here and when you can't see the rest of the face, it does look a bit odd. In one of my older posts I remember referring to myself as a 'wild troll' because of how I felt the photos of my teeth would make people perceive me, lol.

The amazing this is, those very same photos will be incredible motivation for later on, you'll see!!! :-D

I'm looking forward to following your progress!! Take care!!!
Next Adjustment: August 20th, 2008 at 5pm

My Story:
[url=http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=24942[/url]

OzKelly

First Adjustment

#13 Post by OzKelly »

Ok, So it's just over a month since BD, and I just went and had my First Adjustment. I was a bit nervous about what to expect, but I guess I just kept thinking it can't be as bad as getting 3 teeth extracted, Surgery and actually getting the braces on in the first place.

Anyways, so I'm in the chair and pretty much I just felt a bit of tugging and twisting and stuff. I could feel tightness here and there.

So now it's one hour later and I just feel a little sore at the moment. I am expecting some more pain tomorrow (Going by what other people have said).

Other than that I noticed there are a few extra little wires here and there, and I think the arch wire looks a LITTLE thicker maybe, tho I don't know for sure. I also noticed what looks like a little rubber thing on the side teeth... I think its like a Lig or something I don't really know. My Ortho didnt tell me too much, as he got a phone call as I was walking out.

Other than that my first month hasn't been as bad as I first imagined. The worst thing I have found is the mouth ulcers I have been getting from the wires and stuff. Some times they are quite painful and uncomfortable. Warm Salt water seems to help, but they never quite seem to go away!

In terms of people's response to my new look, I kinda get the feeling people don't really notice them straight away. Having the clear braces helps, but most people I actually have to say "Did you notice my braces?" and the look and go "Nah I didn't even know you had them, how long have they been on for"?

Also I have lost 3kgs since getting these on, so that's also a plus.... I don't eat as much as I used to. At first I was almost starving myself, because I was too scared to eat, and in a bit of pain. However that passed after about a week or 2 and I am almost back to normal now, save for a few things I just wont eat (Chips, Nuts, Steak, Hard Chocolate etc). Plus I dont snack as much now, because so much food gets stuck in my brackets etc.

BracedVeryLate

#14 Post by BracedVeryLate »

Hi Oz,
your braces look great. i really should have chosen clear on top, or at least the top front 6 teeth!! Oh well!

I hardly snack anymore, too much trouble cleaning the teeth. I had the absolutely worst food today - steamed broccoli. those little teeny tiny florets were everywhere. even my waterpik couldn't get rid of them!

take care and good luck with the braces.

OzKelly

Hit in the face with soccer ball

#15 Post by OzKelly »

Well I survived my first "hit in the face at soccer" incident this week. I have been rather worried about it ever since Brace Day, so I have been playing extra carefully. The Ortho said he would make me a mouth guard but I think I would stand out a little too much. So I have played about 6 games and have been fine. That is until last week.

I was playing Summer Soccer (Which is played on a smaller field) and playing as a defender (which I dont normally play). The goalie has gone to kick the ball out from a goal kick, and I had decided to turn around the very second she went to kick it and before I knew it, the ball was travelling at my face at an alarming rate.

So it hit me square on the face (nose and mouth region) and kncoked me over. All I know is it &%#ing hurt. My nose started to bleed and I got quite dizzy, then after the initial shock, I was like "Holy $h*#... My braces". So I got friends to check em out, and it appeared that they all remained in tact. I was freaking out, and all I kept thinking was "My ortho is gonna say.... I told you, you should wear a mouth guard" hehe.

Anyways, the worst thing (From a Braces Point of view) I got was a fat lip and lots of cuts on my inner gums (it was a very painful few days), but from what I can tell there was no damage to any of the hardware or my teeth.... phew!

Lesson learned here???

**duck next time **

Kel

So, there u have it, if you want to play sport U MIGHT want to be a little extra careful, cause gee it hurts getting smacked in the face by a soccer ball (or any ball for that matter).