Chronicles of LaLaDee - brace day pics pg 4

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LaLaDee

Chronicles of LaLaDee - brace day pics pg 4

#1 Post by LaLaDee »

I have been 'lurking' for a few months and decided to join in the fray. Your stories are inspirational and so helpful - keep it up! So here it goes:

Rewind about 20 years to me sitting in the dentist's chair with my Mom by my side. He asks her if she's ever thought of taking me to see an ortho. My Mom is dumbfounded and she tells him my teeth are perfect. I am crushed. :cry: All of my friends had braces and I wanted them too. This is embarassing but I even tried to make retainers out of wax candy when I got home. But alas, no braces for me.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I'm in the dentist's chair again, and she asks if I've ever seen an ortho. My eyes light up :shock: and I tell her no. She said the crowding in my lower incisors is causing some gum inflamation and that because these teeth have been pushed up, the tops of them are wearing off from rubbing on my upper incisors. She went on to say that most of my molars are tipping ligually which could be causing a problem with my bite and would likely result in my molars wearing abnormally as well. This may sound strange, but I could barely contain my excitement as she wrote down a referral.

I tell my husband the exciting news when I get home and he is not thrilled. All he can see is $$$. Also, my teeth aren't that bad so he is skeptical of my need for braces. Regardless, he is mostly supportive. I call my Mom to tell her what happened and she actually gets mad. She tells me my teeth are perfect, the dentist is in cahoots with the ortho and it is a complete waste of money. I can't figure out why she isn't supportive but it doesn't matter now anyways since she's not paying for it.

I go to my first consult and he concurs with my dentist. Ortho #1 does the SureSmile system which will have me out of braces in 8 months at a cost of $5400.

I'm a bit skeptical of the SureSmile system so I call Dr. B, a dentist who is good friends with my hubby. He looked over the info I emailed him and he is not on board with the system. Maybe he is just old fashioned - in any case he tell my hubby that ortho #1 is no good and refers me to ortho #2 who treats his patients and family.

I go to see ortho #2 who concurs with my dentist and ortho #1. He also mentions that my right jaw is popping in and out which may have something to do with my recent headaches. Dr. R sentences me to 24 months at $5800. I tell him I'm on board, I just have to wait until my hubby's flex spending money is available in July.

So here I sit, anxiously awaiting brace day - it has been 20 years in the making and I can hardly stand it any longer! Here are some pics:

4 Spacers go in July 3rd, 2008
Ceramic uppers and metals lowers go on July 11th, 2008
Sentenced for 24 months
Last edited by LaLaDee on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:05 am, edited 18 times in total.

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

LaLaDee, you have very lovely teeth! I think they just need a bit of re-positioning. Orthodontic time actually flies when you're not paying attention.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

LaLaDee

#3 Post by LaLaDee »

Thank you for your kind words Miss Smiley. I'm lucky my problems are minor. Sometimes I wonder if they are so minor that it may not be worth the time/pain/money. When I read the stories of AW members who've been braced several times or who've had surgery - I feel a little silly being excited for my brace day. Getting braces is not an easy decision for everyone...

kittymeow84

#4 Post by kittymeow84 »

I share your excitement! I too was so thrilled to get mine on and its a great feeling to have to be finally FIXING the problem!

And don't let your mum tell you teeth are fine! :lol: I think very very few people have perfect teeth without braces so its great you want to do something about it!

Looking forward to seeing your braces on! :D
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

LaLaDee

#5 Post by LaLaDee »

Ken - Thanks for reading my story. Patience is not one of my virtues; I will have to work on that. Although it does seem time has flown since my last post.

kittymeow84 - Thanks for sharing in my excitement. As for very few people having perfect teeth - you are SO right. Now that I've made the decision to get braced - I noticed everyone's teeth and most could benefit from orthodontia :wink: Sometimes I wonder if I pay too much attention to people's teeth :jokerlaugh:

jenny101101

#6 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi LaLaDee,

Thanks for visiting my story! Yes, you do have beautiful teeth...imagine when you're done :D . I was exactly like you. Extremely excited about my brace day and was positive I wanted them. Of course, I did go through a stage of "what did I do?" but it didn't last long and I'm loving my braces! I alway notice people's teeth first...even my best friend teases me about it as I tend to makes comments(like when watching tv and such). I'm just glad I'm fortunate enough to be able to fix my teeth, even if I'm a little late getting started :oops: .

Good luck to you....come on July!!
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Unhappy teeth

#7 Post by Unhappy teeth »

I too am obsessed with checking out other people's teeth! I guess that happens when you are unhappy with your own. I seem to also be asking lots of people with good teeth whether they had braces when they were younger.

Good luck for your up-coming brace day :D

insinu8

#8 Post by insinu8 »

LaLaDee, welcome out of the shadows of lurking ;) I'm glad you were able to find an orthodontist who will work with you. I think you made the right choice.

You'll be more aware of teeth no matter where you see them :) It becomes an obsession, which is a goodthing[tm] because it usually means you'll start taking MUCH better care of your own teeth.

Don't feel silly about being excited. You've made a big step in doing something to make yourself happy. That's a great feeling! The discomfort you'll go through is a rite of passage. Nothing is free and long after the money has been spent and earned again, you'll have a beautiful smile that you'll want to show off at every chance. It has actually made me smile more since I got my braces on. I'm so proud I did it for myself :) It sounds like you are too. Excellent!

Come on July!!!
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

LaLaDee

#9 Post by LaLaDee »

jenny101101: Thanks for the compliment! My husband teases me too as I constantly make comments about people's teeth on tv. It's reassuring that you were also excited for your braces and now that you have them, you love them. I hope that I will feel the same way too.

Unhappy teeth: Thanks for taking the time to read about 'lil old me. How do people respond when you ask them about their teeth? Are they willing to talk about it or is tooth obession reserved for AW members only? lol

insinu8: Hi and thanks for stopping by. I got some disappointing news today and needed to hear what you had to say. I hope I'm making the right choice.

On to the disappointing news...

I went in for perio charting on 5/20/08. My readings ranged from 2-6mm! My hygienist and I were both surprised at the numbers. She said she didn't see much plaque below the gumline and that the pockets were just a tissue issue in her opinion. She suggested I floss twice daily and use an electric toothbrush. I'm really making an effort to floss twice and did get a Sonicare Elite. Is there anything else I can do? Are the WaterPik, Stimudents and Proxabrushes effective as well? Can I over clean my gums? How do I shrink these pockets?!?!?

I finally heard from the ortho today, they received the perio charting and I have to see a periodontist to get the 'ok' before I can begin treatment. I'm so excited to get my braces the possibility of delaying my brace date really put me in a bad mood. I can't help but think there is surgery in my future. But I'm trying to remain positive - maybe I'll just have to go in for check-ups every few months once braced to make sure I'm keeping my gums healthy. I haven't even scheduled an appt yet because the perio office is closed all week for the holiday.

I'll check back in after I see the periodontist. Take care all!

LaLaDee

#10 Post by LaLaDee »

I'm so nervous to see the periodonist tomorrow. My hope is that I don't need surgery and I can move ahead with my brace date. Keep your fingers crossed!

HkyGrl s2k

#11 Post by HkyGrl s2k »

Set backs are the worst.

Hope they give you the green light to go for the braces tomorrow! *keeping fingers crossed for you*

Miss Smiley

#12 Post by Miss Smiley »

If you don't like what you hear from this one, you can always get another perio consult and make sure the treatment plans run along the same line.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

shoezy

#13 Post by shoezy »

Hello LaLaDee,
*crosses fingers*
How did today go? Hope it went well...

-S

----------
braces on: Feb 2005
braces off: Nov 2008

LaLaDee

#14 Post by LaLaDee »

I went see Dr. S today at 3pm. The good news is that my pockets have shrunk to 2-3mm - hurray for my new Sonicare. The bad news is that tooth #25 has little gum tissue attached - I'm assuming due to the way the tooth is pushed forward and upward. Dr. S recommended a gum graft. This is not something my ortho seemed concerned about so I'm curious to see what he says about the recommendation. The procedure would cost $650 and I'd pay 20% if insurance covers it. The best news of all is...I can keep my brace date. I would be healed up in plenty of time - yahoo!!! Surgery is tentatively scheduled for 6/17/08. Take care all!

jenny101101

#15 Post by jenny101101 »

That's great news, LaLaDee! Glad your appt. went well. Let us know what your ortho says about the gum grafting....

Have a great day! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.