Unhappy teeth's story- Updated with photos (page 5)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Unhappy teeth

Unhappy teeth's story- Updated with photos (page 5)

#1 Post by Unhappy teeth »

Hi everyone

Just had lingual braces (upper and lower) fitted yesterday and am feeling a bit sorry for myself! I am very nervous about going to the dentist/orthodontist so just getting them fitted was a big deal for me.

Although I'm not in too much discomfort, a couple of my teeth are really sore and my tongue feels a bit sore and swollen. I've also acquired a not so delightful lisp when trying to say the letter S, I am worried about this as the whole point of me getting lingual braces was so that my pupils (I'm a secondary school teacher) wouldn't know!

I feel a little overwhelmed at the moment, I've only managed to eat soup so far, and the idea of chewing anything is very unappealing. I'm also finding it difficult to get used to cleaning my teeth now, I think I'm a bit too worried about dislodging my brace (irrational I know).

Finding this forum today and reading other people's experiences has helped a lot with some of my anxieties although I'm already nervous about my next appointment in 7 weeks to have an extraction and the new wires.

Anyway, I've blabbered on enough, will update soon (hopefully by then I'll have mastered that pesky S)
Last edited by Unhappy teeth on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Unhappy teeth

Pre-brace photos

#2 Post by Unhappy teeth »

Here are some pre-brace pictures, as you can see my bottom jaw is only slightly crowded whilst my top jaw needs the most work (midline off to the right, left incisor twisted)

Top jaw:

Bottom jaw:

Feeling slightly happier today as pain seems to be subsiding!

elpi

#3 Post by elpi »

Hello unhappy teeth, congrats on getting braces and conquering your dentist fear :D I hope you get to see some positive changes before too long and your lisp subsides. I'm a lisper anyway but I'm lisping even more at the moment since I've had my extractions done so I can empathise!

jenny101101

#4 Post by jenny101101 »

Congrats on getting braced! :-)o I hope you master that pesky "S", too. I've heard quite a few ppl with linguals tend to lisp but it gets better. Hopefully once your tongue toughens up, it won't be so sore either.

Good luck on your journey!! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Unhappy teeth

#5 Post by Unhappy teeth »

Well it's been almost a week since I had my braces fitted. They feel loads better, no pain although my tongue still gets a bit sore in the evening if I talk too much during the day! Managed to eat a roast dinner yesterday (although lots of gravy needed!) so generally feeling better about the whole thing.

One small concern- yesterday morning I noticed that I have a crack :shock: in my bottom left incisor (next to the canine). It runs horizontally about a third of the way down my tooth. I can't tell if it's cracked all the way through as the bracket is in the way on the back of my tooth. It's totally painless and you can't really see it unless you look for it but I can feel it with my tongue or finger.

I don't know how it happened, I haven't bashed it in any way, haven't been chewing on it. It wasn't there before I was braced but I don't see how my braces could have caused it!

I have phoned my ortho and she seems totally unconcerned. She said if I want to come in she will look at it but there's not really anything she can do and it's nothing to worry about. Anyone experienced/heard of anything similar? Could do with some reassurance!

Bekah

#6 Post by Bekah »

I would actually call my regular dentist about a cracked tooth. They would be the ones that specialize in that sort of thing right? Just a thought.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

hannahwebbo

#7 Post by hannahwebbo »

Hi Unhappy Teeth

I agree with Bekah, you would probably be best to go see your dentist about the cracked tooth if you are concerned about it. Sometimes its good to get a second opinion.

Glad to hear that your pain is subsiding. I had quite a bad lisp when i first got my nance button put into my mouth, (this sits on the roof of my mouth to get certain teeth in place) but as the weeks have gone by it only really happens when i talk to fast, so i am sure yours will get better.

All the best

Hannah

Unhappy teeth

#8 Post by Unhappy teeth »

Just got back from the ortho and still confused about the crack. My ortho says she hasn't seen anything like it in 20 years of being an orthdontist! :?

The crack runs obliquely up my tooth so a thin layer of enamel was cracked off but still attached at the top (like a flap). My ortho put some glue underneath it and smoothed some on top so it will hopefully stay put. She also took a couple of pictures which she's going to send to the Dental Hospital to see if anyone else has seen anything like it.

It didn't hurt at all and you can't see it unless you're REALLY looking so not going to worry about it for now.

P.S. Thanks Bekah and Hannah for the advice :)

Unhappy teeth

#9 Post by Unhappy teeth »

Just to add to the excitement, a bracket has just popped off my back tooth and I now have a wire and bracket hanging around in the back of my mouth. :(

elpi

#10 Post by elpi »

aw shucks :( hope you can get it sorted soon! hopefully these are just, ahem, teething problems and things'll go more swimmingly soon...

Bekah

#11 Post by Bekah »

OH my goodness! I had a nightmare about that the other day! I hope you feel better.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

lionfish

#12 Post by lionfish »

Just to add to the excitement, a bracket has just popped off my back tooth and I now have a wire and bracket hanging around in the back of my mouth. :(
I had that happen at around 6 weeks, it's horrible I know. No amount of wax could make the loose bracket stick to anything! Hope you get it sorted soon.

Unhappy teeth

#13 Post by Unhappy teeth »

Phew! 2 visits to the ortho in 2 days (she probably thinks I am the biggest pain!) Had the loose bracket and back bit of wire cut off, will probably have it put back on when I go in for my first adjustment.

My mouth feels loads better :D

Unhappy teeth

#14 Post by Unhappy teeth »

Just made it through my first week back at school with braces. I was hoping that since my lingual braces are not visible my pupils would never find out about them!

Unfortunately, I still have a bit of a lisp so about 10 minutes into my first lesson on Monday one of my pupils puts her hand up and asks "Miss, do you have braces?" :lol:

Surprisingly most pupils have been really good about it. There have been lots of questions as most of them had no idea that you could have fixed braces behind the teeth. And lots of requests for me to say words like "statistics" so they can have a giggle at my expense!

By wednesday my poor tongue was very sore, I did not realise how much I talk in my profession! Had to resort to using wax again which I haven't done since the first week.

Am still being a bit wimpy about food, chewing is just too difficult/painful so am still cutting my food up very small and then swallowing without chewing! Haven't noticed any movement yet which is slightly disappointing, I guess I will have to be patient!

elpi

#15 Post by elpi »

Good to read your update, I have a problem with hypothesis as well as statistics and don't even get me started on synthesizer :lol: