gsb126 - Braces Journey

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gsb126

gsb126 - Braces Journey

#1 Post by gsb126 »

At the age of 40, I decided it was time to take care of me for a while and consulted with an ortho for braces. I'd wanted them for a long time, but always talked myself out of it for one reason or another - usually financial reasons. On March 25, I got uppers. My ortho uses the Damon system, and he utilized Damon 3's on all my uppers. He told me I should be able to get lowers in about 4 months; waiting on those because my overbite would cause my brackets to pop-off.

The first few days were tough, day 2 being the absolute worst. As of today, day 6, I'm finally starting to eat normally, and I've been able to go without Orabase or Tylenol for a couple of days. So far, I haven't used any wax today. I've had significant shifting in my front teeth, and I noticed the wire starting to poke out of my second molar bracket on the right side already. I opted for the SureSmile system, and the ortho will integrate that about the time my lowers go on. My first adjustment is scheduled for May 19, so I guess I'll know more at that time. I already have one question about one of my brackets. On my right canine, there is a clear plastic tab that sticks up. My photo of my uppers isn't great, but you can see it. I have no idea what it's for (there isn't one on the left) but it keeps catching on my lip when I talk and smile.

Speaking of photos, here's the link to the first couple: http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm23 ... rs_308.jpg

The "before" photo is actually reversed. Not sure why, but that's what I got from the ortho. The photo of my uppers isn't all that great - sorry about that!

More to follow. Lot's more, since this is a long journey! :D
40th birthday gift to me - Braces and getting fit! Some days, getting fit is the easier part.
:-)

Damon 3/SureSmile

davidspd

#2 Post by davidspd »

Hi gsb126 and welcome to the board :D I'm another one who's come to braces late in life (40s) after putting it off numerous times. How long is your treatment going to be, and when is your first adjustment ? I think the plastic tab thingy is for the elastic to go around so it doesn't pop off ... but I might be wrong as i'm a relative newcomer as well ... i'm sure someone will correct me.

kittymeow84

#3 Post by kittymeow84 »

I've got the little tabs/hooks too. Most likely for elastics. Not looking forward to those!
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

jenny101101

#4 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi gsb126,

Great pics! Yep, I think that hook is for elastics too. I have Damons but no hooks on that bracket...just on my back teeth. Hopefully it won't bug you for long but don't be scared to use wax. We "chatted" on another thread and I checked out SureSmile...that would be really neat! Unfortunately, my ortho doesn't offer that but if he did, I'd go for it too.

Good luck in your journey...I look forward to seeing your progress!! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

gsb126

#5 Post by gsb126 »

Hi David - Initially, the ortho said 12-20 months. However, that was before we decided to go with SureSmile. I've no idea what the revised schedule will be. Another question to ask in May.

Hi Kitty - It's weird that the hook is only on one side. Although, that side is "worse" than the other. I was under the impression you didn't have to use elastics when you went with Damon's. I asked the ortho that question in my first visit, and he indicated that they wouldn't be needed. I'm thinking he misunderstood my question, thinking I was talking about ligs. I do know he said I wouldn't have to wear headgear, which is a relief.

Hi Jenny - Glad you found out some info on SureSmile. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes. The wax would actually cause more problem on the hook in front than it would help. I keep catching my lip on it because it sticks out so much. Doesn't hurt, just makes me look funny when I smile. :) I use the wax on my back teeth quite a bit, though. Especially now that I have wire poking out the back. DH is going to help me trim it tonight, though. I don't have enough hands to hold a pair of snips, a flashlight, and a mirror at the same time. :D
40th birthday gift to me - Braces and getting fit! Some days, getting fit is the easier part.

Damon 3/SureSmile

gsb126

Made it through the 1st 30 days!

#6 Post by gsb126 »

Halfway to my first appointment after getting my uppers. I cannot say I don't notice my braces anymore, but they don't bother me as much as they did initially. I notice them some days more than others. Still not having much luck tearing food with my front teeth, so I'm only eating very soft bread when I eat a sandwich. My teeth have moved quite a bit!

I thought it would be difficult to get in the habit of brushing my teeth so often, but they feel so gross after I eat that I've had no problem getting into that routine. Flossing was pretty painful at first, but it's ok for the most part now. Every now and again, I'll get a couple of teeth that aren't too happy about my decision to floss.

Anxious to get my lowers, but I don't know for sure when that will be. Course, I'll have to go through the whole adjustment period again, but that's the way it goes. I'll get a new wire next month on my uppers - is the pain as bad with the new wire as it was when I first got them?

Damon 3/SureSmile