Fluffy's Story: IPR BETWEEN FRONT TEETH! (Pix pg8)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SDFD TSchott

#181 Post by SDFD TSchott »

wow fluffy, that sounds horrible. Hope all is well and your taking good care of yourself now. Yes fainting can make ones mind confused.

I have fainted once and actually woke up in the hospital a mear 15 minutes later. All was good and they say what caused the fainting was heat stroke "Fighting a fire @ 110 degrees"

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

shinyRiver

#182 Post by shinyRiver »

Oh, Fluffy! How I have loved your braces story!!! I am so sorry about your tooth and your unfortunate extraction and subsequent infection!

...but your SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is- AMAZING! Stunning! Magnificent! Breathtaking! and it is WHITE!

*I* almost fainted upon seeing your gorgeous face! I am so happy your journey is coming to a close and you can finally feel free to smile and laugh like a lunatic without feeling the slightest bit self-conscious-ness... But oh, how I will miss your delightful humor, your amazing use of imagery, your fun and fascinating posts! Congratulations on your debracing, on your gorgeous new face, on your every happy moment that you will be able to smile and laugh through shamelessly from here on out- but you will be greatly missed!!!

shinyRiver

#183 Post by shinyRiver »

I think I should add that I faint at the sight of blood. Not paper-cut blood but like open-wound blood. I worked at a vet clinic once and I was helping stitch up a dog's foot- just holding the toes apart while the vet worked. And there was so much blood that I *plop* fell over on the floor. Just like in the movies. Man, did I feel like a girl! I can watch CSI and Nip/Tuck and TLC all day and never feel like I'm going to swoon... But I see blood and I'm out. Like a light.

fluffybottom

#184 Post by fluffybottom »

The sight of blood or a gaping wound doesn't bother me but I cannot -- CANNOT -- watch people get the wounds. Like, I had to hide my eyes watching Nip/Tuck because I couldn't stand seeing the knife cut skin. I also can't watch videos of people getting hurt -- like those Funniest Home Videos of people falling. The aftermath, I am fine with. The process ... not so much.

And thank you! :D I'm pretty impressed with my smile too!
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

fluffybottom

#185 Post by fluffybottom »

Ha, and you thought my story was over! I have moved into the next chapter of my journey...

GUM GRAFT

Dun-dun-DUN!!

My appointment was September 23rd. Because I am a big chicken (not so much with pain but I really freak myself out thinking about what is being done), I opted for IV sedation. There was no way I wanted to be in any way aware of what was going on. So I go in and the assistant takes me into the room and tells me that the periodontist will be in soon to give me shots of Novacaine. This made me nervous since all the other times I've been sedated for dental procedures, they numbed me AFTER I was already sedated. I told her that I was schedule for IV sedation and she looked at the chart and was like 'Oh, yeah. The doctor will give you Novacaine first and then we will sedate you' before leaving me alone in the room to stare at the biggest needle I have ever seen. I started to get upset and inside I was panicking. After about 15 minutes, the periodontist came in and brought me to the room they were doing the surgery. He told me that were going to IV sedate me first and that the assistant was just confused.

Phew!

I settled in and was a little nervous to see that they didn't have an anesthesiologist; they were just going to administer the IV sedation themselves. Different strokes for different folks, I figured and tried to be as calm and relaxed as possible. Which wasn't easy because I not only made the mistake of Googling 'gum graft' and read horror story after horror story, but I also Google image searched the term. Listen to me: don't ever, ever, EVER Google image search any dental procedure. You will freak yourself out. Repeat after me: Google is not your friend. GOOGLE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND! Anyway, so they try to get an IV going but have hard time finding a vein. Apparently, I have very small veins (THANKS DAD) and I have run into difficulty before when having blood drawn so this wasn't entirely unexpected. But it's always been successful in the past; sure, sometimes it takes multiple pokes to find a vein but a vein is almost always found.

Not that day.

They poked me probably ten times over the course of an hour and could not find a vein. At some point, I started to cry. I didn't even realize it but one of the assistants began to wipe my eyes and once I knew I was crying? Then I couldn't stop. It wasn't that it hurt (I mean, it's not really pleasant but it doesn't hurt particularly) but I was so nervous about the procedure itself and had already gone through a period of panic over the Novacaine misunderstanding, that I started to wonder what else would go wrong and started imagining the worse. I felt bad because the doctor and all the assistants obviously felt horrible and I knew it wasn't their fault; it was my damn stupid small veins! Ultimately, we gave up. The perio offered other options to get me relaxed and mostly out of it but I knew that anything less than IV sedation would have me freaking out. So we decided to reschedule and bring in an anesthesiologist.

Fast forward to October 15th.

This times, things went much better. The anesthesiologist called me a couple days before the procedure to find out my medical history and make himself available for any questions I might have. He sounded .. very mellow. Haha! I half wondered if he was sitting around hitting the gas himself. I went in early on Friday morning to fill out paperwork and he gave me his estimate. The office staff asked him if they should charge me then and he told them to wait until after the surgery (since he charges an hourly rate, he'd know exactly how much it would be once we were done). 'Will she be coherent enough to do the transaction?' they asked him and he was confident that I would be. Settled into the surgery room, I felt much more at ease this time. He didn't get me hooked up to the IV on the first poke but the second was successful. Before I knew it, I was out and it was over.

Afterwards, my boyfriend took my to RiteAid so I could get my prescriptions filled (an antibiotic and Percocet). It was a dreamy time that I only sort of remember. Then I was home and relaxing on my couch. I napped off and on and it probably wasn't until evening that all the Novacaine and anesthesia were completely worn off. Surprisingly, I was in no pain. I had been icing my face and taking a high dose of Ibuprofen every six hours but I didn't have any need for the prescription pain killer. I had a stent to keep pressure on the donor wound (basically, it's like a Hawley retainer that covers the entire roof of your mouth and doesn't have a wire to go across the front of your teeth) and I drank a bunch of Ensure to keep me going.

Sometime that evening, I realized that I hadn't paid the anesthesiologist. But then when I started to think about it, it occurred to me that I couldn't actually remember waking up or going home -- all I remembered was a little bit of my RiteAid adventure. I asked my boyfriend if I had paid the guy and he said yes! Apparently, I was very coherent when I woke up; I just don't remember any of it! I rooted around in my purse and found the receipt; I was very relieved to see that I was lucid enough to have used my Flex Spending card instead of my regular bank card. $900 on my debit would have thrown my finances for a loop!

Anyway, it's been four days since the gum graft. I have been really tired and run down (probably because I have been stuck on a soft foods diet and not eating as much as I normally do) but there has been no pain. Zero. Zip. Zilch! Even when I take the stent out to clean it and my tongue inadvertently touches the donor site, it doesn't hurt. Feels a little weird but doesn't hurt.

Granted, everyone's experience is different and I can only speak to my own gum graft adventure but, so far, it has been nowhere near as bad as most accounts I have read. So if you have to get one, don't worry! If you can afford IV sedation, I do recommend that but even if you can't, know that the recovery period can be easy breezy!

I go in on Friday for a check up and to get the stitches removed. Hopefully at that point, I can start wearing my upper retainer at night again. I don't think my teeth have moved any but every day that passes without wearing a retainer, the more nervous I get!

iBorg

#186 Post by iBorg »

Fluffster...... I'm starting to think you're a drama queen.

Of course, you've earned that right. Here's hoping the graft worked.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

fluffybottom

#187 Post by fluffybottom »

Haha! What some people call 'Drama Queen', I call 'Flair for Storytelling'.

I had my one week check up yesterday and the periodontist said that everything is healing really well. I go back in another two weeks for another check in and hopefully at that point, I will be able to start brushing my teeth near the graft site.

He took out my stitches but when I got to work, I discovered that he missed one. I called the office and they told me not to worry about it, that it would dissolve on its own but if it was bugging me, I could go back in and they'd remove it. Well, it was bugging me but I didn't go back in. Instead, I just removed the stitch myself. HUZZAH!

My perio shaved down my Essix retainer a little bit around the area of the graft (so that plastic wouldn't rub against it) so last night was the first time in a week that I was able to wear my upper retainer. It was a little tight but nothing really moved too much out of place. PHEW!

One bad thing that I discovered: it looks like my insurance company is not going to cover this. At all. Since there is no real tooth there, they are considering the procedure 'cosmetic'. Which, yeah, I guess it is but I think there's a difference between getting something like veneers just to be fabulous and getting a gum graft so you don't have a huge gaping hole in your gums because you had to get a tooth pulled and a bridge put in place due to a bone abnormality. But whatever! I have the money in my flex spending account so if I have to pay for the whole thing, it's not really a problem.

Has anyone had a gum graft? How long does it take the tissue color to fade to match more closely to the rest of my gums?

iBorg

#188 Post by iBorg »

Fluffster.....
I encourage you to appeal this. Ask both your periodontist, orthodontist and your regular dentist what would be the long term result if you had not had this procedure done. If they say anything like potential tooth loss or increased chance of infection ask them to write a letter to your insurance company justifying this. Also file a claim to both your medical and dental insurance. Don't give up. There's a good chance of winning on appeal.

By the way, you have a great flair for storytelling with pathos and drama...... :lol:
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.