Fluffy's Story: IPR BETWEEN FRONT TEETH! (Pix pg8)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Crystal S

#46 Post by Crystal S »

Sounds like you are doing great so far. I have Damons too. I'm just over 2 weeks in and sometimes I even forget they're there! I am surprised you were able to floss so soon. For the first week or so mine hurt to floss and right now, some of the teeth are so tight that I can't get the floss in there. I'm finding that's really the only problem so far. I LOVE MY WATERPIK. I am a stay at home mom, so I probably use it 3-5 times a day! Feels great. And I have also become obsessed with gum chewing! ( Sugarless of course) but it feels really good on my teeth when they are a little sore. Hope you continue on with ease!

fluffybottom

#47 Post by fluffybottom »

insinu8
I'm guessing that you have a little bit of an edge on me because I have an impacted canine that needs to be exposed and coaxed down. But don't underestimate my competitive streak! I will MENTALLY WILL my teeth into place!

jenny
Ahh, it turned out not to be glue (or, if it was, its gone now). I guess the space between the teeth was just too tight or I was being too cautious but tonight I was able to get the floss between them. Hurrah! Still don't have much in the way of pain. My front four teeth hurt if I accidentally bang my lower teeth against them or bite down too hard but there is not steady ache. I'm still just getting used to the feel of them in my mouth. The way my lips move over them when I talk. How to smile -- I was so ashamed of my teeth for so many years that I would only smile with my mouth closed but I can't seem to really do that anymore! So I either have to smile with my mouth open or have this really weird, awkward looking closed-mouth smile with my brackets peeking out in the corners.

Crystal
I used my waterpik today.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, GOOD LORD! WATER. EVERYWHERE.

Is there some trick to using it? Because by the time I was done, the mirror was soaked, the sink area was soaked, the bath mat was soaked, I was soaked and the cats sat in the doorway of the bathroom looking terrified.

As far as flossing right away goes, I dunno! I'm a big baby when it comes to pain but I have also been told by doctors that I have a high threshold for it. So maybe I'm hurting and I just don't realize it.

Of course, saying this, I probably have jinxed myself into experiencing horrific pain starting tomorrow.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

iBorg

#48 Post by iBorg »

Ah the waterpik....got one of those, sometimes I use it. I'm sure if I had counter space I'd use it everyday. My dentist encouraged me to only use it on low pressure to not drive food under the gums.

What's the secret? Keep your mouth tight around it when it is on and use it by feel and not sight.

On another note fluff'ster, congrats on getting started!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

insinu8

waterpik, etc

#49 Post by insinu8 »

fluffy
Think of your waterpik as a way to clean your teeth and take a shower all at once. It's a lot like having a garden hose going crazy when you were a little kid and dancing all around it, except now you're trying to NOT get wet (right?) ;)

Keeping your mouth mostly closed around the end bit while working the spray around your teeth will help keep you and your kitties mostly dry. There is a rotating ring which you can use to redirect the nozzle as needed. It takes a bit of practice, but it works well. Just try not to hit the release button of the nozzle or it will pop off and then you get a drinking fountain sort of thing going on out of the handle.

I'll give you the head start on the upper braces to make up for the coming canine training delay, but keep that mental coaxing going :) You'll probably end up making up some time when we get to the bottoms as mine won't go on for a while yet (no start date until the uppers get moved about to reduce my overbite).

I hope you aren't having too much pain today? Remember, Ibuprofin is your friend :)
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

fluffybottom

#50 Post by fluffybottom »

I have figured out my difficulty with the Waterpik -- it's broken! The attachments pop out on their own. The high pressure one stays in place sooooometimes but the low pressure attachment pops off as soon as I turn it on. And I swear it's not me! My grip is well away from the release button.

I'm not sure what to do about it since it was a gift from the orthodontist. It's not like I can return it!

iBorg
Thanks for the congrats! It feels good to be on my way even though I am driving myself crazy staring into the mirror looking for even the teeny-tiniest change.

bracedagain
I'm basically a happy, optimistic person in general so I have a pretty easy-going attitude in regard to my braces. Even so, I can't wait until it's all done and I have straight teeth! The thought of achieving that, even now with the braces on, is almost beyond comprehension. YAY!

insinu8
So far, it has been a ridiculously easy experience for me. Aside from getting a headache the first day (and I'm not convinced that was even related to the braces) and some tooth sensitivity in my front four teeth for a few days, it hasn't been very hard. No soreness, no need to take Advil, haven't needed to use wax, was able to floss right away, etc. Of course, I still have the lower braces and my tooth exposure ahead of me so I am sure the hard times are still to come. Still! It's nice to ease into things! I hope it goes equally well for you. Not too much longer now, eh?

fluffybottom

#51 Post by fluffybottom »

It's been a week -- yay! No visible changes yet but posting a progress picture anyway as I think I will take a weekly picture. Hurrah!

EDIT: Well, now that I have done an animation, maybe there is a little movement? I'm sure the angles aren't quite the same but .. perhaps?

fluffybottom

#52 Post by fluffybottom »

Argh. I have to say, there is one big frustration with braces: my inability to snack throughout the day. And, well, not being able to bite my nails but that is a good thing!

Before braces, I would eat small meals and then snack throughout the day. Now I have to cut out the snacking; otherwise, I'd constantly be running to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I'm slim so I don't want to lose weight (although toning up my tummy would be nice!); hopefully I'll figure out something I can snack on that doesn't tend to get stuck to my braces. I don't want to just eat bigger meals because .. well .. I've always read that it is healthier to eat smaller meals more frequently.

iBorg

#53 Post by iBorg »

May be only a week but yes there's movement there. Take a look at those canines!

Snacking and brushing present an interesting challenge. What do you want more, the snack or avoid brushing.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

fluffybottom

#54 Post by fluffybottom »

iBorg
What do I want more? Hrm. I suppose I can't pick snacking without having to clean out my braces? Hehe. I'm pretty hungry at the moment so right now, I'm leaning toward snacking.

bracedagain
I guess the upshot of this is that I can be all girlie and start getting manicures! Yay!

----

So, I had my consult today with the oral surgeon about my impacted tooth. He's not hopeful about being able to bring it down. The tooth needs to straighten out and move over before it can move into place and he's just not confident that we'll be able to. But we're going to give it a try and if it doesn't work, he'll just extract it, do a bone graft and do an implant. Goodness gracious, my pocketbook hopes the tooth comes down!

They offered me an appointment to have it done on Wednesday but that is just .. way too soon. I need more days to panic! So my appointment is next Friday on the 30th. Now I just need to find someone to drive me since I'll be put under for the procedure.

I'm pretty bummed about my prospects. But! At least I'll finally get my baby tooth out. The tooth fairie thought she was going to get out of having to give me 25-cents! HA! HA, I SAY!

jenny101101

#55 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi fluffy,

I see little changes but give it a bit...you'll see big changes soon. :D

Sorry to hear the OS isn't optimistic about that tooth coming down but I'm *crossing my fingers* you'll prove them wrong...hehe! Good luck at your appt. next week...keep us posted.
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

fluffybottom

#56 Post by fluffybottom »

jenny
Yeah, I'm bummed but not necessarily depressed about it. I'll just have to wait and see what happens and, generally speaking, I'm pretty lucky in life. I've been in other situations where a favorable outcome wasn't expected but I surprised everyone. Really, though, I'm just kicking myself for not taking care of this when I was younger, when it would have been easier. I remember my dentist (and the orthodontist I saw once for a consult) warned me about my impacted canine and that it would be problematic later in life if I didn't address it. However, I was a know-it-all teenager back then and scoffed at their advice.

And geez. As if I'm not panicked enough over the tooth exposure surgery, now there is this: My friend who drove me to the dentist when I had my wisdom teeth yanked now has a new job and will still be in training when I have my exposure. After asking around, no one else was available so I contacted my ex-boyfriend to ask if he'd be willing to drive me. I didn't expect him to say yes but he has. Not that there is anything between us anymore but .. still. A girl always wants to look good for her ex-boyfriends and he hasn't seen me with my braces yet and .. ARGH. I have 10 days to get myself looking HELLA FINE.

Haha. I am so ridiculous.

insinu8

#57 Post by insinu8 »

fluffy, I hope your upcoming surgery goes smoothly. It's a shame we're so far away or I'd volunteer to drive you to your appointment. When my g/f had her implant (she has a significant amount of tooth movement coming!) put in they knocked her out for that and I took a day off from work to do the driving to & from plus a bit of waiting while she recovered from the anesthetic.

Don't worry, it will be easy and no worries. Take your time when you wake up. It's not a race. Don't forget to go get your pain meds (if they prescribe them) BEFORE you get home.

I'll be keeping an eye open to see how you're doing.
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

fluffybottom

#58 Post by fluffybottom »

insinu8
Yeah, good suggestion about getting the pain meds ahead of time (although, admittedly, certain types of medication don't seem to do a whole lot for me, painkillers being one of them). I hope your first full day with braces is going well for you! Are you in much pain or is it going okay?

Anyhoo, here's my week 2 picture. Not a whole lot of movement but of course there wouldn't be quite yet!

Last edited by fluffybottom on Sat May 24, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

insinu8

#59 Post by insinu8 »

Hey, Fluffy :)

Actually, I can see quite a bit of movement in your teeth there. Take a look at your archwire...it's a lot more straight!

If pain meds don't work for you, maybe get some otter pops? (They do nothing for pain, but they're cold, wet, and tasty!)

My first day wasn't too bad. The second and third have gotten progressively worse and Advil/Motrin is my new best friend. My teeth must be like a new alien species meeting the Borg (braces)....resistance is futile!

How soon will you be getting your lowers braced? Do they have to wait until the uppers are further along, like mine?
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

iBorg

#60 Post by iBorg »

Flufster:
insinu8 makes a couple of good points. While the Otter Pops may sound a bit of target, he's right. Anything cool will provide some relief with your early wires. Leveling wires, as they are called are heat activated. If you cool them down below mouth temperature they get more flexible and will give your mouth a little relief. I found teething rings from my kids a great relief for a limited time. It is a way to have temporary relief.

Also, resistance is futile.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009