Jenny101101's Story**8 month UPDATE~ pics-Pg.16**

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jenny101101

Jenny101101's Story**8 month UPDATE~ pics-Pg.16**

#1 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi!

My name is Jenny and all my life, I've wanted braces. Most people say I'm crazy because my teeth really arent' that bad, but I see the imperfections. I felt kind of silly going to see my ortho for the first time. I even said "I know I must seem vain...." but he told me that I have quite an overbite, a slight cross bite and it looks like I've been grinding my teeth at night SOOOOO he said braces were definately a good idea. Phew!

Well, today(after waiting a month from my initial consult)I went to get my pics, molds and top braces put on. What a weird feeling! It started in the waiting room. I was sitting there, feeling all excited and in walks a teenager. No big deal, right? Right....but then another comes in, and another and another. And then out walks another who's finished getting their wires changed and all I could think of was "What the heck am I doing here at 32 years of age! I should've had this done when I was 16!" I felt foolish! I almost walked out the door but all I could think about was what beautiful teeth my sister has(she had almost the identical teeth as mine and had braces two years ago) and I want those too!! So I stayed:)

So, now that I have my top braces on, I'm really happy. I go back to get my bottom ones on on April 8th so the next count down is on! Now, to just get the hang of brushing and flossing and putting wax on.....it's gonna be a long 22 months! lol

Jenny :tingrin:
Last edited by jenny101101 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 21 times in total.

metalmouthmommy

#2 Post by metalmouthmommy »

Welcome Jenny!

Hey, who says 32 is old right?!!!!!!! The way I look at it, we have another good 60+ years ahead to have awesome smiles!!!!

Congrats, post pics! :BigTeethGrin: and can't wait to compare notes!!!!!!!!

jenny101101

#3 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Katie!

Thanks for the welcome and, yes, you're right...32 isn't old! lol I just remember being 16 and THINKING 32 was old then...haha!

I just joined the site yesterday so I'm still trying to figure out how to put a "ticker" on the bottom and post pics. Any help would be appreciated:) As soon as I figure it out, I'll post pics.

Chat soon,
Jenny

jenny101101

#4 Post by jenny101101 »

Ok, so today is day two and surprisingly...no pain! I was expecting to wake up and be in so much pain I wouldn't be able to get out of bed :shock: .

I had my first "scare" last night(I'm SUCH a blonde!). I was brushing my teeth and I felt something hard at the back of my mouth moving around. I was like "OMG, a bracket fell off!! What do I do? My ortho's not in his office at 10pm!!" and then I spit it out......WAX!! Hahaha...duh! Note to self: take wax OFF braces BEFORE brushing :oops: .

I've figured out how to put a "signature" with ticker at the bottom but still working on an avatar and how to post pics(I'm not terrific with computers :? ) Hopefully will update soon....

Jenny
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

born2bbrace

me too

#5 Post by born2bbrace »

HI. I am 32 and like yourself always wanted braces. I'm finally getting it and I'm excited. I did notice lots of teenagers and felt a flash of embarassment, but I kept my focus on the future. I'm getting brace next week so we'll see.

Is there a reason why your Ortho decided to do the upper lower seperately?

metalmouthmommy

#6 Post by metalmouthmommy »

Lucky you! NO pain on Day 2 is EXCELLENT!!!! :D

Also, I was looking at your ticker and realized when you go in to get your bottoms put on is when I'll be in for my first adjustment! MORE notes to compare!!!! 8)

jenny101101

#7 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi all,

"born2bbrace"...not sure why. She said she wanted to let the top ones space out a little before putting the bottoms on. I have a (molar)tooth that's in quite far and they want to try and get it to come out more, I guess. I'm getting the bottoms on, the top wired changed and a little "thingy" that'll prevent me from biting down all the way so my top teeth don't hit the bottom ones and break brackets....yuck! Not looking forward to that. My sister had it one for a few months with her braces and she said it was the hardest part of the whole "braces" process. Good for you for taking the plunge and getting braces. Next week? Keep us posted!!

Katie..haha! Isn't it a small world :) I get my top wired changed on the same day so it's my first adjustment too. We seem to be one the same "track"...pardon the pun! :shock:
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Becca

#8 Post by Becca »

Hey Jenny! I can definitely agree with your sister on the Turbo Stop issue. I mean, I know I JUST got my braces but I know I'll be so much more comfy when they remove these damned ski ramps on the back of my teeth! Lol! It's actually getting better, though. At first, biting my teeth together, or trying to anyway, hurt or just felt uncomfortable. Now it really doesn't bother me. I'm finding that I can even bite into soft food again. Hope your bottom braces go as well as yout top have! It's still funny for me to see so many people on here saying that they got tops and bottoms separate. They did all mine in one day. Turbo Stop included. And apparently I have a pretty bad "deep bite". I guess everyone's mouth is different. :wink:

jenny101101

#9 Post by jenny101101 »

Ok, so day 3 is here and still no pain! I've even taken off the wax to see how is feel and it's really no problem. I did have a little problem last night. I decided to try and floss my teeth(ortho said I could wait 3-4 days but I'm used to flossing every night so it was driving me crazy!) So I'm in the bathroom and I get the first one flossed, with A LOT of difficulty, and I'm on to the second one and I start to faint! :oops: Needless to say, I stopped there and went straight to bed. Now I'm terrified to try to floss again :( Any suggestions?

Becca: Wow, I'm so glad to hear that after only 10 days of being braced you are doing so well! It makes me feel a little better about getting the turbo stops on, even though I'm definitely not excited about it. I'll be looking to you for advice when I get them on :)
Jenny

Braced32

#10 Post by Braced32 »

I'm used to flossing every night, too! I don't know if I'll be able to skip a night - even when I first get braced! UNLESS it's REALLY uncomfortable / painful!

That's really weird that you felt faint. Maybe because you worked so hard at flossing the first one it took everything out of you?!?! Hmmm, that's a stumper! :?

Are you using regular floss or the kind with the stiff end to assist people in braces?

That's AWESOME that you're feeling no pain and it's already day 3. I hope I can say the same! :D

02/04/08 Extractions (4 deciduous second molars & 1 wisdom tooth)

jenny101101

#11 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Braced32,

Yep, I'm using those flosser thingy's they give you with the stiff end. I find it feels thicker then my usual flossers so I may look for thinner stuff and just use the older style threaders(they gave me some of them too). I havent' been eating a whole lot since I got them on so that could be one of the reasons I felt faint. I told my hubby I wished I had a mirror hanging close to me while I was laying down...then I could just floss while laying down!! lol Good luck when you get yours on and keep me posted:)
Jenny

jenny101101

#12 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Ken! Thanks for the welcome :D Yes, no pain is definately great! I was expecting to have some so I'm glad it's been pretty easy so far.

Day 4:So I flossed last night! YAY! It felt so good. Funny how the little things like that are a big reward when you accomplish it :lol: I just layed down on my stomach propped up on my elbows with a mirror in front of me and...voila! It was easy! I ate fish sticks and fries for supper cut up into little pieces but actually chewed them a little and it's not too bad, except for all the food that gets stuck EVERYWHERE!! :? I've read that the earlier you start chewing the better it is...gets the blood flowing...anyone else heard this?

Ok, so I go for my cleaning on Thursday to my regular dentist. My original appt. to get tops on wasn't supposed to be until 4/5 so my cleaning is now AFTER I have them on. I'm kinda nervous. Anyone else have a cleaning done so soon after getting braces? Just would like to know what I'm in for...any info. would be greatly appreciated :Questions:

Thanks everyone for all the posts :heart:
Jenny

Braced32

#13 Post by Braced32 »

Well, I was going to say, put the hubby to use and have him hold the mirror so you could floss laying down but it sounds like you found a way that works for you! GREAT! :-88

I also heard that chewing right away is the best thing to do. It may be uncomfortable and a bit painful but in the long run, it results in less pain and discomfort. Easier said than done, I'm sure! :lol:

On 3/3 I have my cleaning and then head straight to the ortho to get my bottoms braced. I'm supposed to get my tops on in 3-4 months. I wonder if my ortho will want them cleaned again prior to bracing the tops??? :?

Hope your cleaning goes well! :)

02/04/08 Extractions (4 deciduous second molars & 1 wisdom tooth)

redwingzfan

#14 Post by redwingzfan »

Hey Jenny,

Thanks for the post on my braces story page. I am glad to hear that you have no pain. I hope my braces are that way. I am getting the top and bottoms on at the same time. Hopefully that won't make it more painful.

Well best of luck!,
-David
redwingzfan

jenny101101

#15 Post by jenny101101 »

Good morning everyone!!

Braced32:Yes, I've been chewing a bit more and it seems to be helping although it is a bit painful. I think my bite has changed already...my back teeth don't fit together that same and I have to move my lower jaw back even more to get them to touch. Very weird feeling! As far as getting another cleaning before your tops go on I'd say you'll probably have to. My ortho said I really should have had them cleaned prior to the tops going on and since you have a 3-4 month wait until your tops go on, they'll suggest you get them cleaned again. Thanks for the encouragement! :D

David:Hmmm...hopefully it won't be more painful. What type of braces are you getting? I have Damon braces. No ligs, just self-ligating brackets. I've been told they aren't as painful and so far, they haven't. My sister had ceramic tops and metal bottoms all put on the same day(4 years ago)and for the first week she was in pain but she got used to them quickly...Hopefully you'll be the same :wink: When do you get yours on again? Good luck to you!! I'll check in on your progress soon :D

So, my braces experience has been pretty good so far(except for my flossing fiasco! lol). I do have a little swelling on my gum line on the back between my two back teeth on the left side. My wire only goes back to the second last tooth so I'm thinking it might be because the rest of my teeth are spreading out and the farthest on back is still in the same spot which is causing them to be closer together then my mouth is used to. I've heard a few different rinses to use:
1. Mouthwash(ortho said I could use any kind)
2.Salt/water rinse
3.Peroxide/water rinse(50/50?)

Any suggestions on which would be the best? I don't have any cankers just the gum swelling and I'm hoping a rinse would help :roll:

Ok, still not sure how to put photos directly in my post. I'm thinking of making an album on photobucket and just posting the link...good idea?

Happy smiling all!! :-#)
Last edited by jenny101101 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny