The Martin Boyce Story - NEW PICS - 7th ADJUSTMENT TODAY

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

martinboyce

The Martin Boyce Story - NEW PICS - 7th ADJUSTMENT TODAY

#1 Post by martinboyce »

Welcome to my story.

First post, so i should start at the beginning.

My Name is Martin, im 27 years old living in Leicester (central England) in the UK.

Going back in time to when i was younger i passed the stage of free brace treatment with ease, knowing full well the stick kids with braces got at school. In hindsight this didnt matter as i got bullied for other things anyway. Short, Uncool etc

Fast forwarding to my early twenties (6ft, 90KG, successful in my job) i became overly aware of my teeth, especially on photos. It pained me whenever i was in a photo with my mouth open.

Some years later, im in a job, im in my own house, i can just about afford to take this plunge. So on a random day late last year on the way home from work, same drive home as always passing the big billboard for the Local Ortho and for some reason the words "Interest Free Credit" popped out at me, it had always been there.

So without booking, without thinking, diverted the car, straight in the car park, walked in. "I want a consultation please"

a few days later i sat down with a understanding man who took some impressions, tooks some photos, and xrays.

A week or so later he sat me down, went through the "are you sure" speech, to which i replied "hell yes"

Then he instructed me that before he could proceed any further that i would firstly need to get a dentist (as i had not got one) then have 4 teeth out. So out i went, got a dentist, had more xrays done. She decided my molar had decayed to the point it had to come out, the ortho then said to keep things symmetrical he would like the other 3 molars removing. This would leave bigger gaps and take longer.

So on Jan 28th 2008 i went in for my first extraction, the bad tooth is coming out first. The woman instructed me that the bad tooth would come out at NHS prices, the other 3 would be privatly charged, ie loads more cash :( so i sat there mulling over my finances in the dentists chair. But i thought its now or never so we went ahead. Now this was my first ever extraction and it was a bit of a toughie.
Because of the size of tooth and the amount of roots it seemed to take ages, the tooth broke up halfway through, she needed to drill it cut it, all sorts really. After half hour i had a mouth full of blood and cotton wool rolls and was on my way home. She had instructed me that a bit of root was left.
After a while the numbness was replaced by a dull ache, which seemed to last for about 8 days before i told the dentist. My gums were inflamed and tender so he gave me some antibiotics to clear it up. That about brings me up to date. Im going in today for my second batch of extractions wether it be 1 tooth or 2 i dont know yet. I will post again after.
Last edited by martinboyce on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:42 am, edited 7 times in total.

Twinkletoes

#2 Post by Twinkletoes »

Good luck for today, Martin! Let us know how your extractions went. Do you know when you're getting your braces yet? Claire

martinboyce

#3 Post by martinboyce »

Yes March 11th is my BDAY :)

today is extraction day 2, 17th Feb is extraction day 3!

But in all honesty i cant wait to get started, eveything takes so long and all the pain and cost i just wanna get going!

Thanks for the post :) i love this place, so friendly :P

hannahwebbo

#4 Post by hannahwebbo »

Hi Martin,

Thanks ever so much for the nice post on my story.

Congratulations on your decision to get braced, it really is going to be an exciting time for you. Even though i feel a bit insecure about my braces sometimes, i am also really excited about having them as i know that things are only going to keep getting better. I know this may sound wierd considering i have only had my braces in about two weeks and i cant really see any changes yet but i dont seem to hate my teeth as much as i used to. I used to hate looking at them but i want to look at them all the time now, lol. I know, i know, thats probably a bit sad :D

Well i hope your extractions go well for you today, and you dont have any problems with them this time.

I totally agree with you that this place is so friendly, i have been coming on here since last April and it really helped me make my decision to get braces and the support you get from people really makes the process so much easier to cope with.

Let us know how it goes today.

Good luck and all the best

Hannah x

martinboyce

Just got back from dentist

#5 Post by martinboyce »

OK just got back from dentist extraction number 2!all in all not too bad, had the top molar out and the remainder of the previous extraction so the left is done. The dentist had to work for his money, the tooth was massive, the detist, nurse and receptionist all thought so as i paraded it round after. Its left a big hole bit itll heal with time. Im just glad it came out in one go, if anything the little bit of root from the previous extraction hurt more than this whole tooth coming out did.

He gave me a 5 day course of Metronidazole to clear up my infection.

He also mentioned something about a partial dry socket, what does that mean and how does it effect ortho treatment?

I put the tooth on my keyboard for a bit of perspective, its a biggy for a top tooth for sure. Im still numb dribbling and slightly dizzy right now so ill cut this short. Im still certain im doing the right thing, for those who like pics heres a couple that you might like

Time to lay down now, and wait for the inevitable ache! booooo

If i can do it anyone can, if your like me youll work yourself up into a frenzy, sit in the chair the whole time clenched up tight and when its all over its like a weight has been lifted, and your almost delighted.
Last edited by martinboyce on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KatieBug

#6 Post by KatieBug »

Good luck today Martin...be sure to let us know how it is going!

[/url]

EllieUK13

#7 Post by EllieUK13 »

Hi and welcome to the club Martin :-1

Jesus, that tooth is massive!!!! :lol:

Glad your journey has started... wont be long till your braces are on! Bet you cant wait... i can remember how excited i was just before i got them, bit strange to be excited about being braced as an adult, but to have straight teeth is everyones dream!
It's so funny, as because i hate my teeth the first thing i notice on anybody is their teeth! :lol: Now mine are getting a little straighter i keep trying to compare my teeth to complete strangers! (Am I a bit weird?? Probably am!)

Well good luck honey, keep your story updated, look forward to seeing how the rest of your journey goes.

Ellie x

Click here to go straight to my Brace story

martinboyce

#8 Post by martinboyce »

Thanks so much Ellie, how old are you? what sort of treatment are you having? do you have any pics or links to your own story,

I love the amount of encouragement people give each other in here, its so nice. Its a big step for anyone at any age.

It was a big tooth, ithe hole it made was pretty fricken big too, i swear most of my dinner is stuck up there, still a bit soft and squishy so dont really wanna be poking around up there,

Going back on the 19th for my final 2 extractions, of equally sized shark teeth, same two from the other side. Then its juat about the brace.

Makes me laugh about the cost, everytime i have something done i compare it to something else i bought, having that tooth out cost the same as my Spam spam spam tra la la....spam spam spam, that tooth cost as much as my ipod, my braces will prob be more than my car. Heck its only money, can earn more of that! hehe

EllieUK13

#9 Post by EllieUK13 »

Hiya

Dont we have an exciting Friday night in the UK! Sat on the computer!! :lol:

Im 28 years young... i am just trying to work out how to put that link thing on my posts... found some useful topics but still cant work it out! Give me 10 mins and i might get it! You would think that working on website etc i would know how to use these things with URL's etc etc....Think i might be sacked from my job now!! My secret is out!

I have had two top teeth out, had my ceramic tops put on in Oct (thought that was a breeze) and i could eat anything, had no pain and life was rosey! Had my lowers braced end of Jan and life now sucks! :cry: Ulcers everywhere, can barely chew, my cheek actually gets stuck sometimes to my bottom brace and only by placing a finger in my mouth and pulling the cheek out i get it unhooked!! :lol:
That sounds really bad but its not, its normal stuff really... its not that bad. Plus i have lost half a stone so its great for that!

Im so tired.... oh the lottery is on! I might be signing off soon!!! :lol: Or should i say flying off!

martinboyce

#10 Post by martinboyce »

Yeah, i admit friday nights aint quite as exciting as they were ten years ago, but we are growd up now, so priorities change.

Plus i can hardly go out after spending 3k + on all this. :(

See your not smiling on your avatar pic. I found your story via your profile so sorta answered my own questions, i posted on there, im sure youve seen. The my story link is easy, copy the address into your clipboard, go to profile paste it in ya signature, and then make sure it says attach signature at the bottom of the reply page.

So are you expecting a proposal at the end of your treatment then ;)

or will you do the proposing, "i didnt do all this for nothing" kinda thing :)

Ive had ulcers all my life coz of my dodgy teeth, so ill be ok, people mostly get um in the bottom lip area, worst place is on the crease of your gum, i use this special paste that comes in a tiny tube, first used it when i went new york in 2003, it reacts with your saliva and sets solid over the ulcer, so solid its there hours, onc covered it doesnt hurt, its better than crap like bonjella which just washes off and swallowed in like ten seconds of application.

Im a life long vegetarian, so in conjuntion with my braces i fully expect to drop a few lbs, i was training hard last year got myself up to 15 stone, thats quite heavy for a veggie, when i say 15 stone i mean gym work weight not fat weight lol.

ive stocked the shelves with soups, smash, supernoodles, etc, all soft foods, in prep for bday.

Do you use facebook, ive got loads of photos and stuff on there, no worries if you dont.

Ok well cant wait to hear from you again, spk soon, :D

big hug!

EllieUK13

#11 Post by EllieUK13 »

:lol:

Oh right, i was putting the address in the website box! Could not work it out so changed my profile picture, i get bored and change it quite a bit! So with your good guidance i will try that out once finished this post!

Might get a propsal from my dog..... Will be old and grey by the time my bloke pulls the ring out!!! Oh no, i wont be doing the asking.... bit old fashioned i know, but its the mans job surely! :lol:

You are so right about the bonjella stuff! I spend all night trying to get the one pea sized amount to stick to my mouth, i end up just pushing it around my finger all night! It never wants to stick! :? Whats the stuff you have? Might need some!

Yep, i am on facebook, logged on to it now... flitting between sites, oh i am so exciting!!! Will PM you via here in a bit.

Oh soup.... yum!!! NOT! Been eating that for two weeks now with attempting 'proper' food every now and then, but the mess i get into with solid food is a nightmare! Not all that nice have a bit of tuna or egg mayo stuck to your brace i can tell you! :?

EllieUK13

#12 Post by EllieUK13 »

It worked!! Thanks mate!
Just need to work out how some people make it all funky and have pictures that you click onto for it etc!! Wish me luck, some strange things might appear in my signature for the time being though! :lol:

martinboyce

#13 Post by martinboyce »

A Small update. With my left side done.
Today at 2:50 i have my biggest and most extractions to date, my number 6s on the right, my upper and lower Molars, the bigones. This is where i loose the ability to chew and for the first time have had flashes of doubt come through my mind.

With my bday in the not too distant future (11th March) i am still keen to move forward. Its just the inevitable discomfort of thisevening and tomorrow plus a couple more weeks of food in the bloody holes syndrome. All just pains in the ass really.

I shall go to the dentist endure his needles, hes pulling crunching, bleeding gumming food etc etc and then its a one stop trip to braceville.

Choo choo,

I will post more photos of my holes from extraction later if im up to is, i know you guys like ucky pics. hehe

Twinkletoes

#14 Post by Twinkletoes »

Good Luck, Martin! Hope it wasn't too bad.

martinboyce

Iv just got back

#15 Post by martinboyce »

Well, im sitting here with a mouthful of blood, 2 massive holes in my mouth and still numb and all dribbly but am delighted to inform you all that my final 2 extractions were a success.

All 4 number 6's have been removed now and its just a short wait til my bday,

Here are some pics,

ImageImage Image

Ok time to pop some pills, put my feet up and chill out for a day or so, i feel a call of duty 4 marathon coming on! hehe.

Time to swap my bloody gauze, wow total fun, hehe