The Martin Boyce Story - NEW PICS - 7th ADJUSTMENT TODAY

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rolo

#316 Post by rolo »

Hi Martin
Good to know you are near the end of treatment. I cornered my ortho into answering the same question, and they would like to see me finish in another 6-9 mths, but we will see. I started in April 2008, so total treatment of a little over 2 years, not too bad considering I had an impacted canine and no upper lateral insicors, but know what you mean about getting fed up. Good luck with finishing on time. Are you going to get your teeth whitened when you finish? Can't wait to get rid of dingy yellowing of my teeth.

martinboyce

#317 Post by martinboyce »

So i had my 19th month adjustment last night.

My ortho (Howard) had a good old poke around, used his little pick to determine how much space was left in my lower gaps and i think he knew that powerchains alone wernt really moving the large teeth forward anymore, well not in a realistic speed, so he put on fresh powerchains and then did something new. He put on 2 of my little elastics (the ones i currently use for keeping my bite in check) and stretched one from my lower canine to my molar. Instantly i could feel the extra tension it brought. Everything felt tighter.

When i woke thismorning i could feel they were tender, the most tender they have been for about a year. I didnt know how tender until i got to work and attempted to eat a breakfast bar. The pain shot right through me
once again eating like a dog with a stick, eating out the side of my mouth trying to find a safe tooth. It now seems like all the teeth between the elastics hurt.
The reason they hurt so much is that they are on the move, my bottom left gap has closed overnight, my bottom right gap has halved and i doubt it will be there for long.

Its always encouraging to see and feel teeth moving, but the pain can be overwhelming sometimes, especially when you need to concentrate in your profession.

I just hope that i can have them off before end end of this year. which is only really 2 more appointments.

im keeping my fingers crossed!!

Grover

#318 Post by Grover »

Martin, I've read your story start to finish, and watched your YouTube vids. Your teeth look unreal mate, I'm so envious. Mine are similar to how yours were and I hope that mine will look as good as yours in two or so years. Cheers mate.

martinboyce

#319 Post by martinboyce »

They will grover, it all comes together, just stay the course

im now finding myself being really picky about my teeth, like the tiniest mis alignment. Silly huh

Hope your treatment goes well my friend :)

emmajade22

#320 Post by emmajade22 »

After all the treatment time and money, i think we need to be picky about the small things! Might aswell get them fixed up while the damn metal is in your mouth.

martinboyce

#321 Post by martinboyce »

Basically correcting this one tiny tooth this one tiny bit would add treatment time

So im weighing up one tooth out by a millimetre against losing another xmas and newyears season and our biggest trade show still in braces for this one tiny millimetre.

There might be options to have it filed down a little anyway.

switchblades

#322 Post by switchblades »

Hi Martin,

Just looking through your story, wonderful progress! It's great to see you're getting close to the end :) I would say that having your teeth exactly how you want them is well worth the extra month or two, but that's just me. I've been teased about my teeth my whole life so when they went crooked again after my first round of braces as a kid, I was heartbroken (I had a shoddy orthodontist the first time around). I can't imagine going through the same thing again!

I have been lucky, I was supposed to have 2 years of braces, orthognathic surgery and the whole bit, but my teeth moved much faster than my ortho originally thought they would, so I'm getting my braces off this coming Thursday, just one year (minus a week) after my original brace day :)

Good luck with everything!

Jen

emmajade22

#323 Post by emmajade22 »

My top teeth are straight, bite is fixed, all thats left is one tooth at the bottom that doesn't seem to have quite enough room to straighten up perfectly. If i was given a choice of having it filed down a bit, or an extra few months of treatment, i would probably choose the filing. But if it was at the top, in the 'smile area' (or whatever you want to call it) i think id go the extra treatment time.
It just depends how important it is to you. Its your right to be fussy considering all the time and money you've put in. Don't just not worry about it because you think everything else is so good, you shouldnt be worried about one tooth considering they were all so crooked before (don't take that personally, im talking more about my own thoughts here). Whats an extra few months in the big scheme of things?

martinboyce

#324 Post by martinboyce »

Its actually my bottom right lateral incisor, its straight but sits higher than the 3 teeth next to it, looking at the tooth on the opposite side it seems to sit much higher in the gum, to the point where the tooth looks longer, so extra treatment would surely mean pushing it back down, i think if there is someway of taking a 1mm off it everything would be dandy.

The only thing im waiting for now is 1 extraction gap to close, the gap itself is quite small now.

I feel so close to having them off, its very frustrating in these later months. I hope that my 20 month appointment i can go back to the orthos gapless!

Im wearing my elastics religiously!!!!

Might even put 2 on it one day, heave ho!!

lol :shock:

switchblades

#325 Post by switchblades »

I had the same issue with my lower incisors, they were all over the place, and one of my lower canines was all out of whack too. The ortho used a funny little device to crimp the wire upward/downward on either side of the tooth and was able to bring several of my teeth up and down as needed. He only ended up doing a teeny tiny bit of shaping to even everything out.

I've never had elastics (had a load of hooks for them, but never the elastics themselves) but two on one spot sounds painful!

Good luck!
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

martinboyce

#326 Post by martinboyce »

I thought i could do with a couple of pictures :D

This one is my progress over the last 20 months.

This one shows my lower incisor which has lifted a bit and the unevenness of the bottom 4, im hoping these can be neatened up a bit,

This one shows a powerchain and 2 eleastics trying to bring my last molar forward into play. about 3mm to go.

nearly there, c'mon

\o/ big hugs

electrokitty

#327 Post by electrokitty »

Hey, I just spotted your post on the "People getting debraced before the New Year!" topic and saw that you're in Leicester too... so thought I'd drop by and say Hello
I was starting to think I was the only adult with braces in the whole of the Midlands, I've not seen one other person with them round here. Have you?

Anyway, I just read your braces story from the start. The progress on your teeth is amazing, they look pretty much perfect now

Kitty

martinboyce

#328 Post by martinboyce »

Hey electrokitty

yeah im Leicester born an raised, The Thurmaston area if you know it. Where abouts in Leicester are you from?

Ive not spoke to any other Leicester peeps before, a few from the west midlands.

Yeah the teeth dont look too bad, when the braces come off they are going to need a bloody good clean and id like them whitened but dont we all want that. Id also like my ruddy great big filling replaced with a white one

If you wanna add me on facebook loads of metal mouth friends aready have :)

speak soon

M

Bekah

#329 Post by Bekah »

Your teeth are looking awesome!!!! You have come so far! I bet you can't wait to have them off!

I have my fingers crossed for the gap to close!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

starzz

#330 Post by starzz »

Like Switchblades said, they can put bends in the wire to bring a tooth up (or in this case, down). It's easy and could be moved in 4-6 weeks max. That's my experience and my teeth move slow.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom