woman of a certain age

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

deb1

woman of a certain age

#1 Post by deb1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:14 pm

I'm 56 and had braces as a teenager, in the early days of orthodontics. I'd really like to hear from others of a certain age who have had braces. No one else I know has or is very interested in hearing about all the details!

Over the years, one of my lower front teeth gradually moved inward until it became quite noticeable. I finally decided I had to do something about it.

I went for a consult with an othrodontist who said the tooth would continue to move inward and eventually would have to be removed. He said it was correctable with braces and the tooth could be saved. So treat it now and save the tooth or treat it later.

The wisdom teeth had to be extracted and periodontal cleaning was necessary. I just had the bands put on the 2nd molars and the upper brackets and wire go on next week. I chose ceramic brackets for appearance sake although they're a little more expensive. I'm trying to get used to the bands. Eating is no longer much of a pleasure, it's hard to chew, the bands are abrasive on my cheeks and food gets caught around them. How do you cope?

rhonda30

#2 Post by rhonda30 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the baby boomers with braces society. As a fifty something myself I know what you are going through. It is not easy facing 2 years of orthodontia at our age but better straight and natural than the alternative of soaking our teeth in a glass. I think you will be surprised as to the number of adults in our age group that are wearing braces.

I hope your journey is a smooth one. It will be interesting to hear the difference between your experience now compared to your earlier experience with braces, I'm sure they have changed a lot.

Look forward to following your progress.

Rhonda - http://www.myspace.com/ibbraced

Mikatgeo

#3 Post by Mikatgeo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:31 pm

Welcome deb1!

I'm nearing the end of my braces journey at age 59. I've been in braces for over two years and will be debraced in April. After the initial irritation passed the whole experience got a lot easier. I also had double jaw surgery last September and I have to say it was all worth it. I too decided to go ahead with it for the health of my teeth rather than cosmetic reasons but the improved appearance is certainly a welcomed plus.

Eating certainly is a bit of a chore, as is basic dental hygiene, but as the progress becomes more and more apparent I'm sure the promise of a beautiful smile and healthy teeth will make it all worth it for you too.

Hope things get better for you and keep us posted.

deb1

#4 Post by deb1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:14 pm

It's good to hear those encouraging words! The upper teeth were braced yesterday. I chose porcelin brackets. It is a very strange sensation that I am constantly aware of. I have some discomfort, my teeth are sensitive when I bite, so I'm taking Tylenol today. But, I'm looking forward to having straight teeth eventually.
These braces are very different than the ones I had as a teenager. Those were metal bands around most of the teeth with elastics between the uppers and lowers. I don't remember them bothering me as much as these do.

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi Deb,

I was 53 when I started and 55 when I finished up (last November), in total my journey took 21 months. Braces had been floated when I was a kid, but my folks didn't get around to it. I did it purely for functional reasons, and I'm happy with the outcome. As rhonda says, better to do it now than face the alternative. Adjusting to all the hardware took me around 2 weeks (I had linguals on top which came with their own set of initial adjustment issues). The worst thing for me was cleaning out all the food bits from between the brackets/wires, the rest I could pretty much handle.

All the best.

melliemoo

#6 Post by melliemoo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm 48 and will be close to 50 or just beyond when I finish. My treatment is projected to be around 15 months. I only have braces on my bottom teeth but had one front incisor extracted due to excessive crowding in the front. My family is extremely supportive although my husband thought my teeth looked fine to him. The crowding became worse as I got older and my bottom front teeth were tipping outward and getting abnormal wear on the tops.